Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #61
Skills
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Sorry for this question, but anyway you will release next update today? *Not sure if NHL have released w/e it was you were waiting for*
Skills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #62
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skills View Post
Sorry for this question, but anyway you will release next update today? *Not sure if NHL have released w/e it was you were waiting for*
He already mentioned that there won't be an update until near the end of the month.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 12:53 AM   #63
SackAttack
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayze302 View Post
Honestly, deleting the saves is NOT that hard. It takes me maybe a few clicks and half a minute (including emptying my recycling bin).

Lay off, there are more important thinks to be worked on.
1) Funny; when I first made this request, "we can do that, it's not hard" was, paraphrasing, exactly what was said.

2) Here we are 4-6 weeks later, it hasn't been done yet. How many beta testers are there? How many updates have there been between then and now? How many are expected between now and release? Half a minute per build multiplied across all of those users and all of those builds, past and future, is how many lost man-hours that could be used to either help identify fixes for those "more important things" or to help test to make sure that those "more important things" are now working correctly?

It's easy to look down your nose at me and dismiss it as unimportant. Maybe I'm the only one who cares. Maybe I'm not, but I'm the only one willing to speak up. Either way, those thirty seconds per user per build will, eventually, add up. However substantial that time is or isn't, it's time that isn't going to be recovered before release.

So, yeah. I think it's a big deal. If you really think there are "more important things to be worked on," you would likely agree that a delete button should have been there from the very beginning. That we're even in the position of having to have this discussion is the most pointless bit of fail in the whole exercise.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 03:27 AM   #64
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

SackAttack, the truth is a lot more time is being wasted for users navigating throughout the game I feel. The UI needs work. Not just a delete button I hope that the team realizes that and for that reason it would be done all at once. From a development standpoint it only makes sense for it to be one of the last things completed (besides fixing bugs)

I always respect the idea that one feature for one person is a big deal and might not be to another, but you have to understand that this is in fact still in beta testing. There are major issues that require work and with the deadline for FHM release so close I know the devs are feeling the weight of the world.

Should it have been there from the beginning? Maybe, but so should the goalies save percentage...it was added with an update. They are building a game from scratch with very limited staff. It takes time and you must be patient. Think of it that you pre-ordered the game. If it's not in by the release date then that's a whole other story. We are infact lucky we get to play it at all at this point.

You being a paying customer, I'm sure the last thing they want is to upset you, but if they don't get this game where it needs to be by the release date, they will have to answer to a lot more people than just you. I hope you can understand that, if not i just wasted 1 minute of my time I could of used for deleting my saved games.

Last edited by dave1927p; 07-21-2013 at 03:33 AM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #65
beatle
All Star Reserve

In the historical game, if a free agent will not sign with you, he will also not show up in the FA column. He is not on your active list but sits in your protected list, green highlight, doing nothing. The FA agent list continues to shrink every year.

The historical game still has problems with the draft. No players showed up in the historical draft. Some of players, but not all, that were suppose to be in that years draft started to show-up early in free agency,71-72, than as the years went on they stopped showing at all ,75,76.

Only one year, 75, a full draft of 16/17 year old was present. Many of these players should never have been there since they were drafted in real life many years later.

Game still crashes at the start of the 77/78 season.

Please FIX!

Beatle

Last edited by beatle; 07-21-2013 at 06:42 PM.
beatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #66
SackAttack
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
SackAttack, the truth is a lot more time is being wasted for users navigating throughout the game I feel. The UI needs work. Not just a delete button I hope that the team realizes that and for that reason it would be done all at once. From a development standpoint it only makes sense for it to be one of the last things completed (besides fixing bugs)

I always respect the idea that one feature for one person is a big deal and might not be to another, but you have to understand that this is in fact still in beta testing. There are major issues that require work and with the deadline for FHM release so close I know the devs are feeling the weight of the world.

Should it have been there from the beginning? Maybe, but so should the goalies save percentage...it was added with an update. They are building a game from scratch with very limited staff. It takes time and you must be patient. Think of it that you pre-ordered the game. If it's not in by the release date then that's a whole other story. We are infact lucky we get to play it at all at this point.

You being a paying customer, I'm sure the last thing they want is to upset you, but if they don't get this game where it needs to be by the release date, they will have to answer to a lot more people than just you. I hope you can understand that, if not i just wasted 1 minute of my time I could of used for deleting my saved games.
I absolutely understand that; the way I see it is that with respect to the product, there should be two goals: 1) make it the best game it can be and 2) with an eye towards the first goal, make it as efficient as possible for the beta testers to do what they gotta do.

Your point about the UI is a point well taken, and it is absolutely correct. It doesn't (or shouldn't) mean that my point about the delete button is irrelevant, however; both of those fixes would improve efficiency.

The UI strikes me as a longer-range fix, though. It will take more time to code an improved UI than it would to code the delete button I've requested. In the meantime, deferring the implementation of the delete button because the UI is still clunky means that neither of the identified efficiencies will be achieved, and the time lost to both issues continues to accrue.

That's about the best way I know how to put it, I guess. We've been collectively losing valuable man-hours on both fronts; one of those fronts can be at least reasonably painlessly salvaged going forward. If it isn't, it isn't. There isn't anything more that I can do about that shy of voicing my opinion as I have done.

But that lost time is going to result in a "less good" game, if you understand what I'm saying. I'm not saying the world will end if a delete button isn't coded and FHM will be a hot mess as a result. I'm saying that the time saved by adding it, however minor it seems on the face of it, adds up across all the people testing and all the builds released, and more collective time to bang on the game can't help but result in an improved product.

Isn't that in everyone's best interest?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #67
yzerwing
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I absolutely understand that; the way I see it is that with respect to the product, there should be two goals: 1) make it the best game it can be and 2) with an eye towards the first goal, make it as efficient as possible for the beta testers to do what they gotta do.

Your point about the UI is a point well taken, and it is absolutely correct. It doesn't (or shouldn't) mean that my point about the delete button is irrelevant, however; both of those fixes would improve efficiency.

The UI strikes me as a longer-range fix, though. It will take more time to code an improved UI than it would to code the delete button I've requested. In the meantime, deferring the implementation of the delete button because the UI is still clunky means that neither of the identified efficiencies will be achieved, and the time lost to both issues continues to accrue.

That's about the best way I know how to put it, I guess. We've been collectively losing valuable man-hours on both fronts; one of those fronts can be at least reasonably painlessly salvaged going forward. If it isn't, it isn't. There isn't anything more that I can do about that shy of voicing my opinion as I have done.

But that lost time is going to result in a "less good" game, if you understand what I'm saying. I'm not saying the world will end if a delete button isn't coded and FHM will be a hot mess as a result. I'm saying that the time saved by adding it, however minor it seems on the face of it, adds up across all the people testing and all the builds released, and more collective time to bang on the game can't help but result in an improved product.

Isn't that in everyone's best interest?
I'm sorry but how much time is really spent deleting games, and how important is it to even delete them immediately? They take up minimal space, and I have had lots of them at times and it never affected the game or my computer. Just chill a bit, and wait for it, they will add it eventually and it isn't that important yet.

Like others have said, if they stopped and fixed every request they have had, and there have been tonnes at this point, the game indeed would be far from releasable. Not trying to be rude, just pointing out that it will get done, it just hasn't been done yet.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:36 AM   #68
MartinGowland
Bat Boy

Hi Sebastian, Jeff and the team.
Loving the game. It keeps improving with every update. Only one major problem that I have, not all my news stories come up properly. I get a few through but most just say error.
Apologies if this has already been mentioned.
Thanks
MartinGowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #69
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I guess that's where I disagree with you and that is your point number 2. Beta testing has nothing to do with the beta testers. It's the end product, that's what matters. Don't get me wrong, they want to keep us all happy but the end goal is your first point and to achieve that you must ignore the second point...and I can guarantee you it's not their choice but what must be done.

We are just along for the ride and to point out whatever issues we can - not to push for it to be implemented right away. We beta testers don't have a say in terms of priority, I wish we did, but it's simply not how it works.

Last edited by dave1927p; 07-22-2013 at 08:35 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:51 AM   #70
herzkine
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Well dave he didnt say we should get everything so we can enjoy the game more, he is saying an aim should be to make it efficient for testers which surely helps the devleopment proccess a lot too , and isnt just to cater to the fun of the testers.
herzkine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #71
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by herzkine View Post
Well dave he didnt say we should get everything so we can enjoy the game more, he is saying an aim should be to make it efficient for testers which surely helps the devleopment proccess a lot too , and isnt just to cater to the fun of the testers.
That is precisely what he is saying by his actions. How exactly does deleting saves manually fall into that category? The big deal isn't asking for it, that is great, but the problem started when he throws it back into the devs faces because it hasn't been added yet. It's outrageous at this point in time.

Keep all the saves on your pc and when the feature gets added, which it will, simply delete them all at once manually (or with the button if it allows it)and its done with. Minor inconvenience? Maybe for some, but certainly not a big deal for majority.

I certainly contributed way too much into keeping this gongshow conversation life beyond what it deserves, so I will kindly leave this subject be. If only I had the will power to do it from the beginning...lesson learned.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:57 PM   #72
daves
Hall Of Famer

When can we customize the playoffs and league structures? I know there is a lot to do beforehand, I am just asking about the timing? August? Septemeber?

This is going to be a great game, I just love to customize the playoffs.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #73
Parker27
Minors (Single A)

JeffR any info about new update? End of month is coming :-)
Parker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:50 PM   #74
bob
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Update on the 2013 start: so far, so good. A few glitches, but by and large it was a pretty smooth transition, enough so that the database changes took more time than anything else. I'm hoping we can get the update out sometime next week, but there are various things I'd like to see completed before we do that. And the NHL is reportedly going to publish its new schedule in the middle of next week (and, presumably, finally tell us what the names of the new divisions are), so it may make sense to wait until after we've got that.
we know all this then Wednesday . probably they fix some bugs actually or try to configure everything
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:02 AM   #75
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

The 1974-75 WHA season ended before the regular season ended ,so there were no playoffs. It looks like for the next season,the Michigan Stags were still active,Chicago moved to Denver and Cincinnati Stingers were added as an expansion team.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #76
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

If hoping the draft in historical gets implemented soon...I look forward to trying it out.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #77
Puckhead
Minors (Double A)

Is the new update coming today? I'm thrilled about starting a 2013/14 season! :O
Puckhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:02 PM   #78
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

I'm still trying to find out what i'm going to do with the leafs in terms of getting cap space...they went from having the most space in the league to right up against the wall with franzen and kadri to resign. Ughh, I wonder if any AI is foolish enough to take Liles...
Old 08-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #79
Crombeen
Minors (Triple A)

Just wanna know where we stand at this point ?

Do we have a full playable, no lets say likable game in a month away from no. To be honest I can't see that happening by looking at the state of where this game is in right now.

I don't wanna be negative and understand how hard the devs have worked in the last few weeks but I have this feeling that the Bugs we have right now aren't fixable in about 30 days. The Trade-/Waivers engine is far from being regular solid <-- not even think about perfect. I don't know much about writing game-code but as a web developer I tent to understand what it takes to complete a Beta website to a public released version that costs money and has to make profit.

Maybe I have no good judgement of where this game stands right now but judging on a Beta version based number like 0.947 it tells me it's far away from 1.0

Me would like an update about how things are going
Thanks..
Old 08-01-2013, 02:26 PM   #80
Nino33
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crombeen View Post
but I have this feeling that the Bugs we have right now aren't fixable in about 30 days.
Since the last beta release was 30 days ago, the bugs we have "right now" are actually the bugs we had a month ago (so it's really 60+ days to fix things)

Quote:
The Trade-/Waivers engine is far from being regular solid <-- not even think about perfect
As I recall JeffR has said there are related issues that need addressing first (one being contracts)...and given the Trade/Waiver engine is 30 days old maybe it's better now

Quote:
I don't know much about writing game-code but as a web developer I tent to understand what it takes to complete a Beta website to a public released version that costs money and has to make profit
Given this I'd think you'd better understand things are planned out beforehand with time allocated for tasks to be accomplished at certain times (so beta users may be concerned about something that developers know they haven't really even worked on it yet, and it's scheduled to be worked on soon)...things have to be done in stages, and some things (like AI reasoning) require most other issues to be addressed first

Typically I'm a pessimist, but I think the potential of FHM is so great, and there's so much there already, and the developers have already stated the game will continue to see improvements/additions in the months after release - for me in this case I'm thinking long term and I myself am currently feeling very positive/optimistic!
Nino33 is offline   Reply With Quote