Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 07-08-2013, 02:18 PM   #41
SlyBelle
All Star Reserve

Dumb question...title of this thread and the links say a version 0.9.47 but in the thread text it mentions a 0.9.48 version...if I choose those links even though they say "47" does it really download the "48" version?
SlyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:59 PM   #42
Thatoneguy
Bat Boy

When is the next update coming?
Thatoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:03 PM   #43
beatle
All Star Reserve

Historical game crashed after 6 seasons 71 to 76!

Beatle
beatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #44
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatoneguy View Post
When is the next update coming?
Probably sometime next week. They are converting everything over to the 2013-14 season.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #45
Airchallenged
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
Probably sometime next week. They are converting everything over to the 2013-14 season.
I believe at this point they're at the every other week update anyways.
Airchallenged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:59 PM   #46
AnthonyG
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Ryan O'Byrne

I dont understand how this 3rd pairing dman gets 5 stars thats just ridiculous cmon FMH!!!!!!!!
AnthonyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:30 AM   #47
JeffR
FHM Producer

Update on the 2013 start: so far, so good. A few glitches, but by and large it was a pretty smooth transition, enough so that the database changes took more time than anything else. I'm hoping we can get the update out sometime next week, but there are various things I'd like to see completed before we do that. And the NHL is reportedly going to publish its new schedule in the middle of next week (and, presumably, finally tell us what the names of the new divisions are), so it may make sense to wait until after we've got that.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #48
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
I dont understand how this 3rd pairing dman gets 5 stars thats just ridiculous cmon FMH!!!!!!!!
haha I agree. It's a headscratcher. And in historical play Gary Roberts keeps getting added to the reserve list...there is no way!

I am still struggling very heavily with telling players apart (style wise) and if players are actually playing well or not. It seems like there should be more attributes...also the attribute rating for an AHLer and junior seem so insignificant to an nhler. It just doesn't seem right.

Last edited by dave1927p; 07-10-2013 at 07:52 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:29 AM   #49
Sebmono
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
haha I agree. It's a headscratcher. And in historical play Gary Roberts keeps getting added to the reserve list...there is no way!

I am still struggling very heavily with telling players apart (style wise) and if players are actually playing well or not. It seems like there should be more attributes...also the attribute rating for an AHLer and junior seem so insignificant to an nhler. It just doesn't seem right.
I completely agree with you regarding difficulty evaluating quality of play and telling players apart. I think that a big chunk of that at the moment has to do not as much with not enough attribute ratings but just that many of the attribute ratings haven't been individualized yet or they aren't fully functioning in the simulation as of yet. For instance, if you go to edit players in commissioner mode, every player I've looked seemed to have the exact same ratings in all of the hidden "intangible" attributes. I could see this making a big difference especially with certain ratings like Shoot vs. Pass. It ends up leaving a lot of randomness to the simulation. I think that is why from one year to the next I can see Ovechkin scoring the same number of points but having it be mostly goals with few assists one year, the opposite the next.

Devs, is this an accurate assessment? I think I remember reading somewhere that on the database side of things a lot of these ratings just haven't been addressed yet.
Sebmono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 03:03 AM   #50
dejaqwho
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
Update on the 2013 start: so far, so good. A few glitches, but by and large it was a pretty smooth transition, enough so that the database changes took more time than anything else. I'm hoping we can get the update out sometime next week, but there are various things I'd like to see completed before we do that. And the NHL is reportedly going to publish its new schedule in the middle of next week (and, presumably, finally tell us what the names of the new divisions are), so it may make sense to wait until after we've got that.
Hi, would you be able to provide a bit more detailed "state of the union" address.

When can we expect to see some improvment in the games core areas. I know others are, but I am really not intrested in "window dressing" untill the core issues are resolved. Some info on these core issues, please. How is it progressing on each of these questions?

When will RFA function properly?

When will Scouting start to work?
(Teams right now are picking 100% on sortable potential, no differentiation on players from any team.)

When will contracts AI offers and the AI player demands become realistic?

When will 17 year old rookies start to grow, maybe a bit in height but definitely in weight (right now they don't in my 3 season game)?

How is the progress on improving Trades; both AI/AI and AI/Human?

Thanks
dejaqwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #51
SackAttack
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcblcommish View Post
I just turned on the game with the new build and I have to say that I love the new opening screen!
I'm annoyed that somebody took the time to create a splash screen - nonfunctional eye candy - but the delete button I requested weeks ago, something I was told was easy enough to implement, still hasn't been.

That has kept me from playing the game during the beta period, because each new build is rendering my previous saves obsolete and it's a pain in the ass deleting them by hand.

I'm starting to feel like I should have waited for the full release because this pre-release time is being wasted for me.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #52
Bruins86
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
I'm annoyed that somebody took the time to create a splash screen - nonfunctional eye candy - but the delete button I requested weeks ago, something I was told was easy enough to implement, still hasn't been.

That has kept me from playing the game during the beta period, because each new build is rendering my previous saves obsolete and it's a pain in the ass deleting them by hand.

I'm starting to feel like I should have waited for the full release because this pre-release time is being wasted for me.
I understand where you are comming from. Look at it this way you got $10 off lol.
Bruins86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 01:00 AM   #53
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejaqwho View Post
Hi, would you be able to provide a bit more detailed "state of the union" address.

When can we expect to see some improvment in the games core areas. I know others are, but I am really not intrested in "window dressing" untill the core issues are resolved. Some info on these core issues, please. How is it progressing on each of these questions?

When will RFA function properly?

When will Scouting start to work?
(Teams right now are picking 100% on sortable potential, no differentiation on players from any team.)

When will contracts AI offers and the AI player demands become realistic?

When will 17 year old rookies start to grow, maybe a bit in height but definitely in weight (right now they don't in my 3 season game)?

How is the progress on improving Trades; both AI/AI and AI/Human?

Thanks
The answer to most of those will be August. Several of them are interrelated, and have to be dealt with in sequence, so the exact schedule will depend on how fast and trouble-free the implementation of the earlier items (RFA's will likely be the first thing on your list to get dealt with, I want the contract system functioning properly before we make major AI changes; we've already started work on other contract-related issues.

Height and weight can be added anytime; its a few more lines in the development code. It's completely cosmetic and has no direct game function, though, so it'll take a back seat on the priority list to the things that do.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:07 AM   #54
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
That would be Daniela, and while she's a talented artist, I think she'd also be the first one to agree that we shouldn't have her writing game code. I don't like not having a delete button either - I usually wind up with 10+ testing saves per build (and there's usually a few of those between the versions you see) that I have to get rid of manually. I'll likely have Malte add it along with some other ease-of-use improvements, but they'll have to wait their turn behind other priorities.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #55
Empach
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Height and weight can be added anytime; its a few more lines in the development code. It's completely cosmetic and has no direct game function, though, so it'll take a back seat on the priority list to the things that do.
Are there plans to do more with size long term? I understand making it cosmetic for now, but we all know that size has a big impact in hockey, both on the ice, in development, and in roster management.
Empach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:05 PM   #56
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empach View Post
Are there plans to do more with size long term? I understand making it cosmetic for now, but we all know that size has a big impact in hockey, both on the ice, in development, and in roster management.
The things that size affects, though, are already built into the ratings system in terms of things like strength, hitting, screening, etc. So what size will eventually do in the game is reflect those attributes - a player will start with the sizes you're seeing in newly-generated 14-year-olds now (and I'll need to adjust those a bit to account for starting attributes), and then increases in certain attributes will increase the height and weight:height ratio. So if you see a guy with NHL-like proportions at 18, it'll be a strong hint that he's had healthy growth in his attributes since he was generated, which suggests (but by no means guarantees) that he's more ready for pro hockey at that point than a similar player who's significantly lighter.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #57
Empach
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
The things that size affects, though, are already built into the ratings system in terms of things like strength, hitting, screening, etc. So what size will eventually do in the game is reflect those attributes - a player will start with the sizes you're seeing in newly-generated 14-year-olds now (and I'll need to adjust those a bit to account for starting attributes), and then increases in certain attributes will increase the height and weight:height ratio. So if you see a guy with NHL-like proportions at 18, it'll be a strong hint that he's had healthy growth in his attributes since he was generated, which suggests (but by no means guarantees) that he's more ready for pro hockey at that point than a similar player who's significantly lighter.
Sounds great.
Empach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #58
SackAttack
All Star Starter

Quote:
That would be Daniela, and while she's a talented artist, I think she'd also be the first one to agree that we shouldn't have her writing game code. I don't like not having a delete button either - I usually wind up with 10+ testing saves per build (and there's usually a few of those between the versions you see) that I have to get rid of manually. I'll likely have Malte add it along with some other ease-of-use improvements, but they'll have to wait their turn behind other priorities.
This is where you're failing. It sounds like a rinky-dink 'ease of use' improvement, but by not having it, you're actually hindering the productivity of your beta testers, which in turns hinders your ability to get the product pounded on as efficiently as possible so that it's in the strongest possible shape on release.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 02:14 AM   #59
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is where you're failing. It sounds like a rinky-dink 'ease of use' improvement, but by not having it, you're actually hindering the productivity of your beta testers, which in turns hinders your ability to get the product pounded on as efficiently as possible so that it's in the strongest possible shape on release.
Well, it's not the most difficult thing on the world, deleting the saves manually, is it?
Old 07-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #60
jayze302
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Honestly, deleting the saves is NOT that hard. It takes me maybe a few clicks and half a minute (including emptying my recycling bin).

Lay off, there are more important thinks to be worked on.
jayze302 is offline   Reply With Quote