Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - Public Beta Test > FHM - Beta Data Issues

Old 03-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #21
YZG

Belarusian set (86 + 668). First names are not plentiful, typical of many Slavic nations. I opted for the BGN/PCGN transliteration standard. I'm not a big fan of it, but it's probably the most intuitive Belarusian transliteration for English speakers. Whenever possible, I transliterated directly from cyrillic; when not, I took the names as is when they seemed to fit or adapted them when they did not seem to match usual BGN/PCGN patterns.

I can take Lithuanian now... and then all the highest priority sets will be ready
Attached Files
File Type: csv Belarusian FN.csv (919 Bytes, 139 views)
File Type: csv Belarusian LN.csv (8.0 KB, 129 views)
Old 03-17-2013, 05:59 AM   #22
grindline
Minors (Single A)

Danish names are done...I'm just waiting for Skadhauge to check them over and make any edits. Once they are done I will post them.

Meanwhile I have started on the Australian names and I will post these hopefully before next weekend.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:14 AM   #23
grindline
Minors (Single A)

Here are the Australian name sets.
Attached Files
File Type: csv Australia FN 289.csv (66.8 KB, 138 views)
File Type: csv Australia LN 318.csv (3.5 KB, 130 views)
Old 03-24-2013, 05:23 AM   #24
grindline
Minors (Single A)

I have also done the New Zealand names. In order to make it realistic I have put about 3% of the surnames as Maori names. This is because there are occasional examples of people having a having a western first name and a Maori surname (Jonah Lomu being an obvious example).
Attached Files
File Type: csv New Zealand FN 277.csv (3.0 KB, 124 views)
File Type: csv New Zealand LN 357.csv (3.5 KB, 130 views)
Old 03-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #25
grindline
Minors (Single A)

Here are the Danish name sets. Can I say a huge thank you to Skadhauge and his excellent work on the surnames?
Attached Files
File Type: csv Danish FN 305.csv (4.2 KB, 132 views)
File Type: csv Danish_LN_565.csv (7.2 KB, 138 views)
Old 03-29-2013, 02:15 AM   #26
JeffR
FHM Producer

It's looking like I'm not going to have enough time to do the naming system justice, so YZG has agreed to take over the job - he'll be the "Names Researcher" from now on. So from this point forward, he'll handle any feedback and requests made in this thread. I think we'll wind up with a much better name list with one person focusing on it exclusively, and it'll give us the chance to get a little more experimental with it than otherwise would've been possible.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #27
YZG

Indeed

I have a couple of ambitious ideas for this area, I really hope to be able to build over time a pretty realistic ethnic world for FHM's newgens. I'll keep you updated on the progresses of this area and let you know how you can help, if anyone of you wants to contribute. Thank you to all of those of you who have contributed so far; you've all done a good job

Feel free to use this thread for anything regarding this area of the game.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #28
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Congratulations and best of luck! If you need anything regarding the Czech (or maybe Slovakian) names don't hesitate to ask me.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #29
AstaSyneri
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyran View Post
Oh, i sorted out a lot of silly sounding forenames (the file first had around 1400 forenames). the website i had those names from had a strange way of showing the frequency of the names, so i re-did those and made it more simple.
Not wanting to step on your toes, but some of the first names are terrible (granted - there are quite a few non-ethnic German names floating around...).

Examples:
  • Alfinus
  • Alrik
  • Annik
  • Arist
  • Ascan

And that's just A. Are you sure there wasn't a high fantasy name generator involved? ;-)

The good news: The most common names of `90 and `95 are in there - and properly weighted.

Maybe it's better to concentrate on a file using just those.

My saving grace: I did a file German names file for my European league last year and sent it to the guy who did the alternative names for OOTP (questdog?). Maybe you want to look into those, Fyran? (I am at work and don't have them handy).
Old 05-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #30
QMJHL_GUY

I don't know if this has been discussed but shouldn't you guys add a ''french-canadian'' name file? Generally speaking it doesn't matter for the NHL but it could get really weird for the CHL if there's a ton of french names in the OHL or WHL and too many english names in the QMJHL. Usually the Q consists of about 80% french names whereas the other 20% comes from the maritimes. OHL and WHL are basically 99% english.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #31
YZG

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHL_GUY View Post
I don't know if this has been discussed but shouldn't you guys add a ''french-canadian'' name file? Generally speaking it doesn't matter for the NHL but it could get really weird for the CHL if there's a ton of french names in the OHL or WHL and too many english names in the QMJHL. Usually the Q consists of about 80% french names whereas the other 20% comes from the maritimes. OHL and WHL are basically 99% english.
Don't worry, there is a Quebec name set Basically, nearly 90% of the players hailing from Quebec and 33% of those from New Brunswick will have French Canadian names (and a small handful from other provinces). The proportions in the QMJHL should be about right.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #32
QMJHL_GUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZG View Post
Don't worry, there is a Quebec name set Basically, nearly 90% of the players hailing from Quebec and 33% of those from New Brunswick will have French Canadian names (and a small handful from other provinces). The proportions in the QMJHL should be about right.
That's great! Than I guess in the next couple of updates the QMJHL draft should be made up of mostly french canadians from the Quebec Midget AAA league right?
Old 05-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #33
YZG

Quote:
Originally Posted by QMJHL_GUY View Post
That's great! Than I guess in the next couple of updates the QMJHL draft should be made up of mostly french canadians from the Quebec Midget AAA league right?
Absolutely. Some minor adjustments may be needed for the exact percentages, but that's what is intended to happen. I'm not sure when exactly ethnic names will be added into the game, but when they are, the QMJHL's draftees should have a much more realistic feel.

For the record, the Quebec set is currently 1050 lastnames deep, weighted as IRL and has 300-some first names. Quebec kids should have rather realistic names.