Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 02-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #41
drewst18
Minors (Double A)

I apologize, I shouldn't have quoted that specific sentence, my point was to temper expectations and to not push your own personal preference during beta and focus on what is best for the game as a whole.

Put yourself in shoes of majority, not how you would want game to work out... September 3rd feel free to ask about any crazy neutral site games/crazy league expansion, but in mean time lets focus on putting out a solid game that everyone will enjoy. As Beta testers we have a great opportunity to improve the game, lets not put our personal preference ahead of what is best for the project.
drewst18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #42
batdad
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewst18 View Post
BETA!

Noun1.beta software - software that has not yet been released but has received an alpha test and still has more bugs than a regular release; "beta software is usually available only to particular users who will test it"

The crazy (boarderline obsessive) requests of neutral site games and crazy historical things was something that should be a long shot for version 1, let alone the beta. You can tell by the post about the AI that the game is still super early in development, you'd think AI would be more important than being able to have Detroit play New York in Hawaii...I am sorry if this is rude, but seriously lets all try to be real about our requests.

Its not just you, but seeing some of the issues still effecting the game, it is unbelievable some of the requests were seeing for beta version. Like customizable playoffs that haven't been able to be programmed into OOTP 14, let alone FHM v0.1

And I know this post isn't helping matters, likely hurting but I wanted to voice my displeasure of a lack of realistic expectation or any concern for what is best for the game.
LOL..
That being said....IN THE FUTURE. How about we get player development and AI figured out first before we have teams in outer space. You know...kind of like Sebastien, Jeff, Malte and all are doing it. Orioles you should be on board with that. And as Drewst says...how about you worry about the EXTRAS after the actual release of the game and just help get them working the game properly

Last edited by batdad; 02-27-2013 at 08:30 PM.
batdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #43
Loosie
Bat Boy

Joined today in anticipation of the Beta. Will more than likely preorder, not too sure about Beta playing right now. I do have another little one on the way soon so time will be at a premium.

Still very excited for this.
Loosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #44
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
So what's the status of the degree to which playoff formats for hockey leagues in the game can be customized? I assume for the most part the beta will start with the currently existing leagues using the current playoff formats. But what about the historical NHL option? Are the correct playoff formats instituted for each historical year? Or is something else in place for the moment?
That's one area where there's actually quite a few options. Variable number of rounds, 1/3/5/7 games per round, variable number of days off between rounds, option to choose specific arenas, and a choice of choosing participants, matchups, and seedings based on conferences, divisions or the entire league.

It'd be very easy to break the game using it - e.g., enter too long of a rest between rounds and go past the annual update date, but it should still be in there on Monday.

Historical mode is a bit problematic at the moment; right now, there's no way to change playoff formats automatically from the one you start with - so, if you start pre-1967, you'll still have only four teams making the playoffs after the league expands. That has to be changed manually by editing the playoff options. Obviously, we need to get that automated.

There's also an interleague tournament option that allows teams from multiple leagues to meet in a championship tournament, e.g. the Memorial Cup. That's had very little testing, though, so I suspect it's going to provide more than a few bug reports once people start trying to push its limits.

Quote:
In terms of playoff format customization, several years ago I put together a very comprehensive playoff customization proposal for OOTP. While some of that has made its way into OOTP, there is still much from it that has not yet been implemented. Given the proposal's depth and breadth, I think it may serve as a good starting point for creating a flexible playoff creation system for FHM. While some aspects of the proposal are done with baseball as the focus, I did factor in the playoff format particulars of other sports so as to provide a highly flexible playoff format creation environment.

Note that there are various "specialty" playoff formats (from hockey as well as other sports) which were not included as I wasn't fully aware of these at the time I wrote up the proposal document. But I have subsequently researched these to some degree, and can pass along some such "specialty" playoff formats that may be worth implementing at some point in FHM's development (either in this year's version or future versions).

I'd be happy to pass along the proposal document (it's a 30-page PDF but it's not walls of text—most of it is screenshots illustrating how the playoff customization screens would work). Just let me know via PM and I'll e-mail it over.
Yup, I'd like to have a look, PM sent.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #45
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Hey guys, please keep it friendly. I think it is natural that people are mostly interested in features they want to use. But as some already wrote, at this stage our main focus has to be the base game, get is stable and then think about all the "little" extras we can add.

Thats the reason we are very open about the stuff you can do now and more important what you can't do at the moment. So everyone can decide if he wants to commit now or at a later point in development. With every update we will write out very detailed what got fixed, tweaked and added.

Another reason we do the open beta is to get feedback/ideas from you guys. We want to make FHM the best hockey textsim available and there is no better way then doing it with the people who play the game.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:43 PM   #46
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
Another reason we do the open beta is to get feedback/ideas from you guys. We want to make FHM the best hockey textsim available and there is no better way then doing it with the people who play the game.
Why just the best hockey sim? I hope the longterm goal is the best Sports Business textsim?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #47
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewst18 View Post
... not push your own personal preference during beta and focus on what is best for the game as a whole. .
I happen to disagree. If one person would like a certain feature to work differently there is no harm for requesting it. If one person wants it i can almost guarentee you another person would too. Ultimately in the end it's FHM team's decision to add it or not so there is certainly no harm for asking.

i'll be playing modern day so i certainly won't be pushing/suggesting/recommending features as heavily in another mode like historical mode unless i'm interested in playing it too (which i might be periodically). Personal preference is always the motivation and it shouldn't be frowned upon as those people are rarely alone in their request.

Last edited by dave1927p; 02-27-2013 at 10:52 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #48
drewst18
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
I happen to disagree. If one person would like a certain feature to work differently there is no harm for requesting it. If one person wants it i can almost guarentee you another person would too. Ultimately in the end it's FHM team's decision to add it or not so there is certainly no harm for asking.

i'll be playing modern day so i certainly won't be pushing/suggesting/recommending features as heavily in another mode like historical mode unless i'm interested in playing it too (which i might be periodically). Personal preference is always the motivation and it shouldn't be frowned upon as those people are rarely alone in their request.
I agree after September 3rd and full release. As of right now our goal should be identify and help work out the kinks of the major game modes rather than ask for all kinds of little features.

And again I do apologize my tone was a bit a-hole(ish) and hopefully we can get a forum dedicated to requests and keep it separate from beta bugs. I was just frustrated with the lack of realistic expectations and same topics being discussed on a large amount of threads.
drewst18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:09 AM   #49
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

I hope that since this is a beta, someone will also try non-NHL leagues. We need testing there too.
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #50
GermanRocket7
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
I hope that since this is a beta, someone will also try non-NHL leagues. We need testing there too.
Don't worry, I'll try out DEL, SEL and SM-Liigaa for sure.
GermanRocket7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:44 AM   #51
Fyran
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanRocket7 View Post
Don't worry, I'll try out DEL, SEL and SM-Liigaa for sure.
If you test the DEL please inform me about things you think are kinda odd ;-)
Fyran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:09 AM   #52
Garethw87

Quote:
What's the NHL? Europe all the time!
Old 02-28-2013, 07:17 AM   #53
Loosie
Bat Boy

Quote:
I'll probably start with the NHL, but will spend some time in the junior leagues for sure, if they do survive to the beta.

I've also been doing a 'lowest league to NHL career' in EHM, so I'll probably end up looking at other leagues in FHM as well.
Loosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #54
Sweet
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethw87 View Post
what's the nhl? europe all the time!
+1
Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #55
PromisedPain
Minors (Double A)

Thanks for the responses. Loving what I see so far, I'll be getting this for sure on monday... hoping to find bugs to post about.
PromisedPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #56
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
What's the NHL? Europe all the time!
I'm using the European Leagues for my fictional North American Leagues. Hope it works. Sounds like you can change the name of teams but adding players might be a problem.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #57
danielson119
Bat Boy

Ill be delving into the UK leagues mainly the EPL going to be a great game cannot wait !!
danielson119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #58
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Will there be exhibition seasons or exhibition games between leagues or league all-star games?

Seasons that go past the 2012-13 season,if there is no schedule generator,where do the schedules come from?

What schedule will be used for the shortened 2012-13 NHL season?

Can the game times be edited?

Last edited by Orioles1966; 02-28-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #59
Garethw87

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielson119 View Post
Ill be delving into the UK leagues mainly the EPL going to be a great game cannot wait !!
I will also use the EPL. Manchester ofcourse. I find it crazy how the NIHL Division 1 is being put on the game... thats such a low level of hockey!

Hopefully the Swiss NLA makes it onto the game. That's what EHM missed badly for us Europeans.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #60
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
Seasons that go past the 2012-13 season,if there is no schedule generator,where do the schedules come from?
Presumably it works like OOTP in that the slate of games in the schedule remains the same but the opponents within the schedule match-ups are rotated each year. So as long as the league structure or the length of the schedule isn't changed, the same schedule file can be used for multiple seasons.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote