Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #41
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
The biggest limitation - as you correctly guessed - is the foreigner rule. And I also fear that the KHL draft won't make the cut for the first version, but that's not such a big deal.
It would be really cool to have KHL draft but I can probably live without it in the first version.

As for the foreigner rule - will it be emulated by "maximum of five foreigners can be signed by a team" then? If so do you realize that this will make LEV Praha, Donbass Donetsk, Barys Astana and Dinamo Minsk (4 of the 6 non-Russian teams) unplayable?

Last edited by geckon; 12-27-2012 at 07:00 PM.
geckon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #42
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckon View Post
It would be really cool to have KHL draft but I can probably live without it in the first version.

As for the foreigner rule - will it be emulated by "maximum of five foreigners can be signed by a team" then? If so do you realize that this will make LEV Praha, Donbass Donetsk, Barys Astana and Dinamo Minsk (4 of the 6 non-Russian teams) unplayable?
I read that players can be drafted twice once in the NHL and again in the KHL so from that statement i'd say it's safe to say that the KHL draft is in.

Last edited by dave1927p; 12-27-2012 at 07:44 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #43
Garethw87

Quote:

I'd say that Lev and Minsk have enough players of ability to still compete in the KHL. Surely the rule limitations won't be so bad? If we go of how OOTP 13 works..

League nationality is Russian - No. of Foreign players by Team Nationailty

So a Russian team is allowed 5 non-Russians, then a team say Dinamo Riga from Latvia is allowed 5 non-Latvians. As long as the league has the right rep the players you'd be signing will be good enough
Old 12-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #44
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
I read that players can be drafted twice once in the NHL and again in the KHL so from that statement i'd say it's safe to say that the KHL draft is in.
Cool, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
I'd say that Lev and Minsk have enough players of ability to still compete in the KHL. Surely the rule limitations won't be so bad? If we go of how OOTP 13 works..

League nationality is Russian - No. of Foreign players by Team Nationailty

So a Russian team is allowed 5 non-Russians, then a team say Dinamo Riga from Latvia is allowed 5 non-Latvians. As long as the league has the right rep the players you'd be signing will be good enough
I don't know anything about OOTP 13, what do you mean?

Minsk has 16 Belarusian players and 12 foreigners. LEV has 16 Czech players and 13 foreigners. It'd be quite a lot of unusable players in my opinion. LEV would have to release 8 players (or couldn't use them if they are allowed to be signed but disallowed to appear on a match roster). I'd like to mention that LEV wants to be something like "Czechoslovak" team. This rule would badly damage this idea.

Donbass has only 8 Ukrainian players and 23 foreigners, Barys has 8 Kazakhstan players as well and 24 foreigners. Those two teams would be totally unusable. I am not sure whether Belarus and Ukraine even have enough players good enough to create KHL team that can succeed. If they have sorry for my insufficient knowledge.

Last edited by geckon; 12-27-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #45
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

With OOTP13 I had many many many Canadian baseball teams in various leagues and didn't have enough Canadian players to fill the rosters so I moved the teams to US cities keeping their Canadian team names but playing their home games in US cities. Teams got filled with mostly American players as I had a 2 percent foreign player limit.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:25 PM   #46
Garethw87

Quote:
I don't know anything about OOTP 13, what do you mean?

Minsk has 16 Belarusian players and 12 foreigners. LEV has 16 Czech players and 13 foreigners. It'd be quite a lot of unusable players in my opinion. LEV would have to release 8 players (or couldn't use them if they are allowed to be signed but disallowed to appear on a match roster).

Donbass has only 8 Ukrainian players and 23 foreigners, Barys has 8 Kazakhstan players as well and 24 foreigners. Those two teams would be totally unusable.
So Minsk would have to only have 5 foreign players. As the foreigen player rules would be based on the TEAM nationailty. So they'd be able to have say 5 Candians. The rest from Belarus.

With Minsk and Lev - Being Belarus and Czech Republic, they are good hockey nations so their players should be good enough to handle the drop in import numbers. Same with Latvia...

I agree that Donbass (Ukraine) and Astana (Kazahk) Might struggle alot with only 5 foreign players.

The only way I found to try and make this better was - Put the foreign teams as Russian still. So Lev would be Russian and would only be able to sign 5 non-russians, so you'd sign the best 5 Czechs you can to give them the Czech flavour.. although I don't like doing that, as they obviously aren't russian and defeats the purpose!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #47
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So Minsk would have to only have 5 foreign players. As the foreigen player rules would be based on the TEAM nationailty. So they'd be able to have say 5 Candians. The rest from Belarus.

With Minsk and Lev - Being Belarus and Czech Republic, they are good hockey nations so their players should be good enough to handle the drop in import numbers. Same with Latvia...

I agree that Donbass (Ukraine) and Astana (Kazahk) Might struggle alot with only 5 foreign players.

The only way I found to try and make this better was - Put the foreign teams as Russian still. So Lev would be Russian and would only be able to sign 5 non-russians, so you'd sign the best 5 Czechs you can to give them the Czech flavour.. although I don't like doing that, as they obviously aren't russian and defeats the purpose!
OK, after few changes on player lists, Minsk and LEV could be playable. But not with the real rosters. And that would be real pity, I'd say. I am interested in starting with LEV as I know it and continue building Czechoslovak team. I'm not interested in LEV where I would have to fire Canadian and Swedish players, fire the Latvian one and fire some of the Slovaks and hire Czechs instead. Yes I definitely can find enough Czech players to do that but if this will be the only option it will be sad.

Not mentioning Donbass and Barys - their GMs would have a lot tougher life. And declare them Russian would not fix it as they don't use only Ukrainian/Kazakhstan players and Russians. They have players from Norway, Finland, Sweden, Canada, USA, Czech Republic, Slovakia etc. You would have to rebuild the whole roster and that would make playing those teams not really a real mode.

What about declaring such teams' nationality as World or something? It would not require a lot of programming (I assume) and the problem would be solved - anyone could play such teams with the real rosters. Is it doable?
It's not the best solution you could find but it is probably an easy and sufficiently "real" one, isn't it?

Last edited by geckon; 12-27-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #48
Garethw87

Quote:
OK, after few changes on player lists, Minsk and LEV could be playable. But not with the real rosters. And that would be real pity, I'd say. I am interested in starting with LEV as I know it and continue building Czechoslovak team. I'm not interested in LEV where I would have to fire Canadian and Swedish players, fire the Latvian one and fire some of the Slovaks and hire Czechs instead. Yes I definitely can find enough Czech players to do that but if this will be the only option it will be sad.

Not mentioning Donbass and Barys - their GMs would have a lot tougher life. And declare them Russian would not fix it as they don't use only Ukrainian/Kazakhstan players and Russians. They have players from Norway, Finland, Sweden, Canada, USA etc. You would have to rebuild the whole roster and that would make playing those teams not really a real mode.

What about declaring such teams' nationality as World or something? It would not require a lot of programming (I assume) and the problem would be solved - anyone could play such teams with the real rosters. Is it doable?
I'm with you, as I will most likely play as Dinamo Riga, so I'd rather have the team as close to real as I can - and not just sign the best 5 Canadians to get by.

One thing the dev's might have already done is - Players born in ex-Soviet countries such as Belarus, Latvia, Kazakh, Ukraine - they might have duel citizenship? So for instance Sandis Ozololins is Latvian but born in the Soviet Union - there for he would be able to play for Riga or (as he does) play in Russia for Atlant without affecting any limits. This would make it abit better to start off with. But when these players retire... the problem would flare back up!
Old 12-27-2012, 11:27 PM   #49
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not interested in LEV where I would have to fire Canadian and Swedish players, fire the Latvian one and fire some of the Slovaks and hire Czechs instead.
I forgot the Russian one. Sorry, Vitaly!

Quote:
I'm with you, as I will most likely play as Dinamo Riga, so I'd rather have the team as close to real as I can - and not just sign the best 5 Canadians to get by.
Riga is quite safe (for now!) as they have four Canadian skaters and Swedish goalie. But of course you could be limited in your future plans.

Quote:
One thing the dev's might have already done is - Players born in ex-Soviet countries such as Belarus, Latvia, Kazakh, Ukraine - they might have duel citizenship? So for instance Sandis Ozololins is Latvian but born in the Soviet Union - there for he would be able to play for Riga or (as he does) play in Russia for Atlant without affecting any limits. This would make it abit better to start off with. But when these players retire... the problem would flare back up!
One thing is that this is only a temporary solution (as you say).
The second problem is that it's not very precise. I don't know the situation in formerly Soviet countries but it's not common to have both Czech and Slovak citizenship for people born in Czechoslovakia.
And even if developers would do such thing and Czechoslovak-born players would get both Czech and Slovak nationalities it'd not be really sufficient for LEV. Every Slovak player born in 1993 or later would be Slovak-only again. It would be problem in very near future.

Last edited by geckon; 12-27-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #50
Garethw87

Quote:
I forgot the Russian one. Sorry, Vitaly!

Riga is quite safe (for now!) as they have four Canadian skaters and Swedish goalie. But of course you could be limited in your future plans.

One thing is that this is only a temporary solution (as you say).
The second problem is that it's not very precise. I don't know the situation in formerly Soviet countries but it's not common to have both Czech and Slovak citizenship for people born in Czechoslovakia.
And even if developers would do such thing and Czechoslovak-born players would get both Czech and Slovak nationalities it'd not be really sufficient for LEV. Every Slovak player born in 1993 or later would be Slovak-only again. It would be problem in very near future.
Haha, Yeah it would only be a temprory fix for a few seasons. We both seem to be fearing the worst for the KHL - hopefully the rules they've had to put into the game aren't so 'out of touch' of the real world, else it just won't seem right! We need Alessandro or Santa Sebastian to ease our minds alittle!

As a side note, it's nice to see Lev, along with the other newcomers doing so well in this season! all in the playoff hunt! Quite a surprise!! Shame about Riga We need Ozolins back! I hope the support for Lev can grow somemore - such as Slovan are very impressive! I work at an hotel. Had some Lev fans here not so long ago!
Old 12-28-2012, 02:28 AM   #51
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
SSo far only 2 Canadian teams are on board,Montreal Voyaguers and Toronto Rifles.
Toronto Rifles? Someone's been reading about the Continental Football League.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:58 AM   #52
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
do you realize
Why go personal? Am I doing the game? I "just" fill the db, the programming task is done by other persons...
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:13 AM   #53
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Toronto Rifles? Someone's been reading about the Continental Football League.
Yeah I go all over the place to find team nicknames. Plus I remembered the name from an old 1960s pro football magazine that did an actual review of the Continental League.

Last edited by Orioles1966; 12-28-2012 at 05:17 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:15 AM   #54
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Since there will be a foreign player limit-why not have a fictional player limit or have the ability to have no fictional players in a league?
Old 12-28-2012, 07:28 AM   #55
geckon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As a side note, it's nice to see Lev, along with the other newcomers doing so well in this season! all in the playoff hunt! Quite a surprise!! Shame about Riga We need Ozolins back! I hope the support for Lev can grow somemore - such as Slovan are very impressive! I work at an hotel. Had some Lev fans here not so long ago!
Yes, I am happy to see LEV's results and I hope (and believe) it will make the play-off at least

LEV doesn't have so many fans because it's totally new club and it's the third top-level club in Prague which is not very big city. Slovan on the other hand has almost one hundred years long history. The difference is able to be seen
But the situation about LEV's fans isn't bad, I think there are enough of us (for this is the first season) and it will get even better.

Quote:
Why go personal? Am I doing the game? I "just" fill the db, the programming task is done by other persons...
I am very sorry about that. It shouldn't be personal or offensive by any means. Really, It didn't occur to me that it can sound like that. I just wanted to point out the problem I see. I didn't even mean you personally but the whole team. Sorry for that again, English is not my native language.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #56
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Ok, we added a new option to the league rules: "foreigner limit for teams outside league nation".
Old 12-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #57
Garethw87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
Ok, we added a new option to the league rules: "foreigner limit for teams outside league nation".
Sebastian - you are too good to us! I'm considering flying to Hamburg (guess this is where the magic is being created) just to say thanks in person for FHM I'm that grateful!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #58
Alessandro
Hall Of Famer

Thank you Sebastian
Alessandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #59
Strelka
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Thank you Sebastian
Spasibo from me as well.
Strelka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #60
tward13
All Star Starter

OK, THIS kind of customer service bodes very well for the game. I'm not interested in KHL (no offense to anyone who is, I applaud your passion!), but I've been keeping up with this thread as a way to see how the developers may need to be more flexible in their design. This is good stuff.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote