Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #21
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

WPA graph

nicknames
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:49 PM   #22
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

WPA graphs...player personalities...the Rule 5 Draft...corded telephones...

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:27 PM   #23
sdw1000
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
I think we're all saying, the fancier the game got, the more of us just it back to being simplified.
sdw1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:12 PM   #24
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmurr View Post
Shortlists
Just realized I don't use these anymore, though I'm not sure why. Use to use them quite a bit.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:28 PM   #25
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Yeah I never use league evolution anymore. I play commissioner mode always so if I want something changed, I can do it myself
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 10:39 PM   #26
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
WPA graphs...player personalities...the Rule 5 Draft...corded telephones...
Ty Cobb, you saved the best for last.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:29 PM   #27
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I haven't really used 3D *yet* this year but I totally plan on it once my league gets, um, there. My thing is that I'm doing the 19th century and a. there really aren't parks for it, and b. 19th century ball really doesn't play like 21st century ball and I know I'll just get steamed at the vagaries of play. Nothing against the game, and hell, a very large part of me wants to get a 60s or 70s era game going (I always want to do this but I swear, what I also always wind up doing is saying "okay, so to start there I want to start there - 10 years instead... but okay, if I'm going to start in 1955, why not start in 1946? Wait, 1946? No, let's go before the war. Okay. so 1939 it is. But what about the 30s? I need to get the 30s in there" and so on and so forth and suddenly my new league starts in 1876 again.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:00 AM   #28
dward1
All Star Reserve

all these people saying 3D is a bummer. I'm like that also. that is what they've spent the most time on as part of the "normal" game and it's pretty much a limited use feature. shows just how little development and research time goes into the non pay-as-you-go part of the game.
dward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:39 PM   #29
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dward1 View Post
all these people saying 3D is a bummer. I'm like that also. that is what they've spent the most time on as part of the "normal" game and it's pretty much a limited use feature. shows just how little development and research time goes into the non pay-as-you-go part of the game.
money talks
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:45 PM   #30
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Baseball cards. That wore out pretty quick. I never did use away uniforms. Make a whole new set of uniforms for every team? Sounds like work to me. Perfect team. Tried it, wasn't my kind of thing
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:12 PM   #31
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Ratings.

MLB Standard Game. I have become such a world/league builder. It is a problem.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812

Last edited by Hrycaj; 08-27-2019 at 10:13 PM.
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 11:51 AM   #32
Pendragon
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdw1000 View Post
Honestly, the 3-D is ruining the game for me.
For me, 3-D is part of what makes the game enjoyable, in spite of the bugs.

I love creating my own uniforms (historical and custom) and seeing them in action. I enjoy seeing the action on the field--even though occasionally there are some oddball glitches. It makes me feel like I am in the game instead of just reading a report about the game.

More in the spirit of the thread: I don't use league evolution, financials, or personality traits, owner goals, plus a few others. The fact that we can tailor this game to our preferences is fantastic.
Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:51 PM   #33
texasmame
All Star Starter

Outside of the 3D not completely syncing with the PbP, I'm not seeing any reason to gripe about it. There are still occasional glitches (just had catcher run out to 2B area to make a play on a batter slow-walking it to 1st) but I just chuckle at those.

The animations have improved greatly (double play turning and quick throws to cutoff men) so guess I'm not getting all the hate.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:51 PM   #34
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Don’t really love 3D...I instead watch games via the real time game cast...which I really wish had been drastically improved as opposed to implementing 3d
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:28 AM   #35
zappa1
All Star Starter

It's a riot how this thread turned into I hate/I like 3D. lol lol
zappa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 10:18 AM   #36
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

I've gone back to 2D when playing out games. 3D was never a big issue for me, yeah there's glitches but whatever, they're few and far between most of the time. I went back to 2D because I want to play out all the postseason games but I dont want to be there for three hours to do an entire postseason and it just seems that 2D makes that go faster. I still get to control everything, and it takes a lot less time. I also feel that because I can't see the plays play out anymore, I don't get worked up anymore over an infield hit that my fielder holds onto and causes a run to score. Everything looks like a hard hit single in 2D.

Also, it seemed like no matter how I set up the graphics, the gameplay just doesn't seem to run smooth on my computer. Probably not the fault of the game, but now those issues are mostly gone
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 11:36 AM   #37
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

I actually like 3D quite a bit, even though I haven't used it much for this version. It makes the game feel like Microleague or Earl Weaver Baseball, only much, much better, and, although I was very skeptical that it would add anything at all, it may actually be my favorite new add since, jeez, the redesign.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 12:16 PM   #38
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
I actually like 3D quite a bit, even though I haven't used it much for this version. It makes the game feel like Microleague or Earl Weaver Baseball, only much, much better, and, although I was very skeptical that it would add anything at all, it may actually be my favorite new add since, jeez, the redesign.
Hmm, maybe that's why I can't get into 3D. I thought microleague baseball was total garbage. Hated it. Never really tried Earl. After microleague, I stuck strictly to text sims. I guess I should add, please don't think I'm dogging those that liked microleague baseball or games like it. Just stating my own experience. I'm an old fart and I think that plays a part. Now, if we ever do get a football game, I really hope it comes with some form of 3D right from the start. Not sure I could do a 100% text sim when it comes to football.

Last edited by David Watts; 08-30-2019 at 12:43 PM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #39
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Speaking of loving and hating 3D, I hate it because I like it too much. Last version with the pawns I played it once and went back to 2D. Plus there were very few stadiums to use. Now with moving sprites with legs and the right colors and, thanks to all the modders hard work, a huge inventory of 3D parks from all eras I can't go back to 2D.

Here is the problem. I've been collecting 2D park images and formatting them for OOTP since OOTP 8! Gigabytes of 2D stadium pics, now just HDD clutter! All that work!
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:38 PM   #40
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

For me, the baseball cards (due to load times and space), and at least in my next MLB universe, the League expansion option in the league evolution.

I use everything-else, because I think everything is pretty cool and adds to the experience!

And again, I do not mind league evolution. And prior, I also thought league / team expansion would be sort of cool, seeing new teams added, but when it happened for the first time, well, I had to reconfigure the league due to uneven placement of the two teams. The expansion draft was interesting and it was kind of interesting to see these two new teams added; but now I am not sure. It is just 3 seasons since the expansion, and now it sort of seems odd or something, so it might be impacting the immersion factor for me.

As to the 3D, I play-out all of my games in that mode and I do enjoy it. That said, I am concerned that despite some of the new animations and clean-up of issues, the pace of improvements or at least the number of them has slowed. Also, there are still a number of quirky 3D things that I see fairly often when I play-out my games. I hope in OOTP 21, that we see the game take another step forward with the 3D.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote