Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-06-2017, 02:24 AM   #1
Fenway
Minors (Triple A)

Advice on a 1901 league: expansion & ratings Qs

Hi all,

I've been having fun with an 1871 league, but I gather there's no easy way to make it conform to the historical rosters and league organizations. I'd be just as happy starting in 1901 anyway. I would like a league that starts with the exact historical rosters and teams; that allocates rookies to their historical teams in future years; that expands the league historically, again with players joining the expansion teams they joined historically.

More generally, I'd like the league to track history roughly, even as I acknowledge that it will inevitably drfit. By 1928, I'd like the Yankees to look at least somewhat like the historical Yankees (even if they may not get Babe Ruth). Maybe that's wishful thinking.

Anyway, I'll be playing in Challenge Mode. So a couple questions:

1. Do I want the default setting of no expansion draft? I'm no expert on baseball history, but I recall that there were some expansion drafts, albeit with generous protection rights.

2. I do want the default option to "import historical rookies," right?

3. Would I be crazy to eliminate stars, or ratings, or both? I suppose part of the fun is seeing how many stars Ty Cobb gets, or what Willy Mays' ratings look like.

Alternatively, if anyone can just point me to a forum post or blog suggesting an array of settings, I'd appreciate that too. Thanks!

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:45 AM   #2
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
I would like a league that starts with the exact historical rosters and teams; that allocates rookies to their historical teams in future years; that expands the league historically, again with players joining the expansion teams they joined historically.

More generally, I'd like the league to track history roughly, even as I acknowledge that it will inevitably drfit. By 1928, I'd like the Yankees to look at least somewhat like the historical Yankees (even if they may not get Babe Ruth).
You can absolutely do this by starting a historical game with historical transactions enabled and automatically expand league checked. The amount of "drift" will depend upon your settings, such as whether you enable Player Development (and if so, to what degree), and whether you allow the game to Recalc (and how how often)... With historical transactions enabled, little or no development, and with recalc, your 1920's Yankees will definitely resemble the real-life versions.

Quote:
Do I want the default setting of no expansion draft? ... I do want the default option to "import historical rookies," right?
You do not want an expansion draft and you definitely want to import historical rookies if you want rookies to go their real-life teams.

Quote:
Would I be crazy to eliminate stars, or ratings, or both?
This depends upon how you want to play. If you are mostly going to observe, then it doesn't matter unless you just want to see what ratings players get. If, OTOH, you are going to actively manage/GM a team, then you'll need to decide to what degree you want to rely on stars/ratings.

Quote:
I've been having fun with an 1871 league, but I gather there's no easy way to make it conform to the historical rosters and league organizations. I'd be just as happy starting in 1901 anyway.
I don't know enough about your league setup & setting, but I've taken pre-1900 leagues into the 1901+ era (when OOTP joins MLB historic-reality) made sure to enable historic transactions, and then moved forward. An option at that point is to undertake a somewhat time-intensive, one-time, run through all of the rosters and put the players on their correct OOTP teams for 1901, and then let historic transactions take care of it from there.

Caveat: I am not familiar with Challenge Mode, so take everything above with a clove of garlic.

Last bit of advice is to test what you want to do, and - most-importantly, before you do - make a backup.

Good luck and report back.
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #3
Fenway
Minors (Triple A)

Thanks for that wonderful response! You answered pretty much all my questions. I appreciate your having taken the time to reply.

Challenge Mode, alas, does foreclose a couple of the options you mentioned. You can't enable recalc in Challenge Mode, as far as I can tell. More importantly, I can't set the league to historical transactions; I guess part of the idea of Challenge Mode is to compare your GM-transaction skills against other players. I do still have control over player development, though. I might still leave it at default for this Challenge Mode game.

But all that's okay. I might try both a Challenge Mode quasi-historical game, plus a non-Challenge historical game with your suggested settings. Why not?

Also, it hadn't occurred to me to backup my league. Good idea.

Thanks again for your response!

Fenway is offline   Reply With Quote