Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:55 PM   #1
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Long Term League Suggestions

Ok, so I have been working on leagues to get them all ready to go for a long term simulation, which I hope to be using for years. I have every league provided within OOTP saved as a template, so I can mix and match leagues any way I choose (if I choose)

I am looking for a very realistic experience, and am soliciting advice on which leagues I should run.

Just the MLB, all the leagues, or a mixture somewhere in between?

I am torn about it. I like the simplicity of just having the MLB, as I can keep up with it from year to year, making MilB affiliation league structure and rule changes without too much hassle. Keeping up with all of the international and independent leagues as well, turns this into a bit of an annual chore.

On the other hand, it adds a lot of realism to have other leagues present for other reasons such as the posting system, International players having stat lines, old MLB players playing in other leagues etc...

What is best from a competitive standpoint? Does playing with numerous leagues make the game easier due to the many International free agents that will now exist, or will the game remain just as challenging and keep it's competitive balance?

All opinions welcome.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:58 PM   #2
USF
All Star Starter

Do what you love - at the end of the day - its going to be what you love that keeps you in the project longer and happier.

USF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:48 AM   #3
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Like I said, I am weighing the different options...just curious to see what others do, and think.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

my longest running solo is my very first fictional game I ever created back with ootp 15. I'd get in there and tinker with many different options as the season's progressed. I've expanded leagues, created leagues, merged leagues, moved teams and it all created a very unique league experience.

I guess my advice is to just get in there. Don't stress over having everything perfect from the start.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:11 AM   #5
ThePretender
All Star Starter

I prefer not to have additional leagues beyond MLB and the minor leagues. Often the players from other leagues are developed stars and superstars and it creates an imbalance in the league.
ThePretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:58 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

you may have to adjust things to avoid what thepretender mentions, but it's always possible to re-tune with a little effort and proper motivation to do so.

my pet-peeve about having all the leagues modeled is the time it takes to simulate a day.

i'm happy with 6 (few) generated established international FA, and few independent league players being generated.... allowing the game processes to produce those players naturally would be "cooler" but not an interest of mine relative to effort.

If these things are engaging or of interest in some way... then go for it. you won't care about the extra time nor whether you have to tikner with # of rounds and any other way "new" players are created or eventually available to your league per year.

you'd definitely want to turn off the fictionally created versions of these type of players... depending on how many filter over per year you may need to reduce # of rounds in your draft too.... you could even edit their PCM's if you think too many are studs and flattening our your league's distribution of talent too much.

Last edited by NoOne; 01-06-2017 at 05:00 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:03 PM   #7
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I have decided to just use the MLB/MiLB and generate players. I do wish (along with multiple stat lines for draft eligible players) that stat lines were generated for these players also.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:20 PM   #8
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

I use real players but fictional teams. I pick a team and then run a fantasy draft with all players.

Last edited by OBSL Commish; 01-06-2017 at 08:21 PM.
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #9
cavebutter
All Star Starter

I just started up a fictional universe for a long term sim. I went with 4 major leagues, 3 of them relatively small. My thinking was that I could run a team in a different league for a couple of years to mix things up rather than blow the whole thing up and start from scratch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 11:08 PM   #10
thorpegiovanni
All Star Reserve

Personal favorites for myself are fictional leagues, but I do spend a majority of the time creating the logos, uniforms, rules, etc, which eats up a great deal of time.

As for real-life, I would do MLB+MilB and go w/ a few more infamous foreign leagues, such as Nippon, Korean, & Cuban.
thorpegiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:38 AM   #11
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

I've enjoyed playing in a fictional 5D/4T league with no trades and no arbitration. Might have to add another league to get some competition.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:44 AM   #12
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Who says you have to play just one league?
Why not play all the ways you like to play.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote