Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
camly
Minors (Double A)

Teams Releasing Top Prospects

I have noticed that in my league, AI controlled teams are releasing their top prospects. Here is an example.

After being traded, the league's #2 prospect was signed and released 5 times in a 2 week period. This is incredibly common, and it's often much worse than this. There are no minor leagues in my league, as the file is too large. Teams do have a 35 man reserve roster. However, the AI releases young prospects, but instead chooses to keep a dozen 30 year old, half star relief pitchers on the roster for some reason. Is there any way to fix this?

Last edited by camly; 01-07-2017 at 12:19 PM.
camly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #2
T-Bone
Minors (Double A)

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by camly View Post
I have noticed that in my league, AI controlled teams are releasing their top prospects. Here is an example.

After being traded, the league's #2 prospect was signed and released 5 times in a 2 week period. This is incredibly common, and it's often much worse than this. There are no minor leagues in my league, as the file is too large. Teams do have a 35 man reserve roster. However, the AI releases young prospects, but instead chooses to keep a dozen 30 year old, half star relief pitchers on the roster for some reason. Is there any way to fix this?
I had this problem when I had no minors and reserve rosters. I had to make sure each team had plenty of capacity to stop this from happening. I do not see a way around this with no minors.
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:19 PM   #3
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Do you have any roster limits on your reserve roster or minor leagues?
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:50 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

don't use roster limits or age limits

use service time limits for R through AA. focus on the 18y.o. new player... the college kids will be more advanced and less likely to reach a service time limit.

give 4 years for rookies to get out of rookie leagues
give 4-6 for SA if oyu use it (i use 5, but making it the same as A isn't a bad idea either.

give 6 for A (think an 18y.o. would be 24 when they run out at A-ball... is that enough? works well for me so far.

8-10 years at AA - i use 9, now, and in the recent past 8 worked fine, too. 27-28 at AA is about where i want to cut it off, if necessary.

with this setup and no roster limits, all "extra" MiL players will be placed in your lowest tier (R-ball). This is mostly inconsequential. it will not "clog" the system up and it will not be a real problem like using age limits then you end up with these chumb 'extra' players in AAA incapable of contributing. at least in R-ball a crap player can be a very good rookie-ball player. (no movemnt? no problem in rookie ball... contact only gets to 30-35 potential, no problem in rookie ball.

if you want to cull the rookie team from time to time for your own persnal reasons, simply go to that team and sort by Pro svc Years (not ml years)... cut the ones near the service time limit and are low-potential players.

you really don't have to... just ignore it... the bad ones will more than likely retire after they service time limit of their current level. if you have a well-tuned league (influx of players roughly equal to loss of players at MLB level), then you shouldn't get much higher than ~40-50 players...

Just make sure at minimum you are using the Stats and AI settings for lineups set to be based upon Potential ability, not current ability. (league functions -> stats and AI, left side and only visible for minor leagues)

AAA will only bloat if you have a ton of players that are good enough to get that far... that's a great problem to have... what i do is stack them up based on experience, if they are not MLB-quality... they don't move until someone leaves above them or they hit a service time limit for that level. "real" prospects are handled as you always handle them - with a little more care and attention to promotions to match development and ability.

so, good filler gives you a winning MiL team(s) because the tend to be fully developed for each tier of the MiL, and better prospects float through teh system as they develop.

Last edited by NoOne; 01-07-2017 at 07:57 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 02:54 AM   #5
The Game
Hall Of Famer

No One, i never knew we could do that. Thanx.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:11 PM   #6
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

There is an option for the AI to prefer POT over actual ratings.
1) If I remember correctly it is set for each minor league. I would look in options to see if there is a way to set the preference for the Reserve Rosters.
2) Try making Reserve Rosters larger.
3) Are you keeping the FA pool small? The reserve roster is really for historical "replays". Historical play usually does not have a very large FA pool for quite a few years. I think you may have to shrink the draft pool and do some FA pool size management to get it to work.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #7
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I am fine with having roster size limits and Service time limits....the only issues I have encountered is when the AI can't put a rehab assignment on a minor league roster because there isn't any space.

I have been pleading upon deaf ears it seems to not charge a minor league roster spot for rehab assignments...it would solve the issue of the AI releasing the injured player. I still don't know why this has not been addressed.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
No One, i never knew we could do that. Thanx.
it's quite new, if not this year then last year.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #9
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
I am fine with having roster size limits and Service time limits....the only issues I have encountered is when the AI can't put a rehab assignment on a minor league roster because there isn't any space.

I have been pleading upon deaf ears it seems to not charge a minor league roster spot for rehab assignments...it would solve the issue of the AI releasing the injured player. I still don't know why this has not been addressed.
well, it sounds like there is a problem, though

you are fine with using them but not fine with how they work, yet still use them?... i'll be honest, my brain hurts a little as i wrap my mind around this concept i just wrote.

you're pleading for a fix to something that is completely avoidable - part of why it may be on the backburner, if they choose to change it.

this is just rhetorical: What purpose does the roster limit serve for you? is that more imporant than the players being released and other problems it causes? easy to decide with just 2 questions (and left open-ended because there could be a valid reason, but ? i can't think of one).

if it's just because you don't like seeing a # higher than 25-30 for any team, let go of that cumpulsion for your own mental health.

extra players may not 'look' right from your perspective, but they have virtually no tangible negative repercussions in the video game. roster limits on the other hand definitely have a negative impact, as you are frustrated by using them.

in a perfect world, i do think they should change it as you have suggested - it makes total sense and an easy way to avoid 1 of the current problems caused by roster limits. however, you'll still run into a lot of other problems due to using roster limits in the minors and the only positive from using them seems to be asthetic/ocd in nature.

and... just one more reason to use "Potential" for your MiL system at least upto AA... in fact AAA, too, because rehab assignments just require being on an active roster from what i have read in the forums... (i.e. same concept why "rust" doesn't form IF on an active roster... if they are on an active roster they are working out and preparing - games played may not even be important - time is likely they only key.)

also, those players down on rehab are very unlikely to be lower potential than a typical MiL lifer. their going to start 99% of the time. way less work to handle 1 rehab assignment by hand than the other stuff you'd have to micromanage while using "current" ability to set depth charts / bullpen.