Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 09-27-2014, 08:38 AM   #1
aaronhelman
Minors (Rookie Ball)

SIX items to make OOTP16 perfect!

OOTP15 is a phenomenal game, and I've enjoyed more hours playing it than I have out of any other game. But the best part, I think, is the involvement of the community and the developers who actually LISTEN to make the next iteration even better.

Here are a few changes that I think would take OOTP16 to the next level:

1. The ability to hire multiple scouts. Assign scouts to be in charge of the four specific areas.

2. An option to implement a "draft wheel." (I really dislike the notion of rewarding the most incompetent teams with the best picks.)

3. Time-specific storyline items / injuries. Players in 1871 should only be diagnosed with injuries that were diagnosable in 1871.

4. In-game auto-skip interrupt options? I know that sounds complicated. I frequently auto-skip until the 6th or 7th inning, when I have to make "real" managerial decisions about bullpen and pinch hitters. But every now and again, I'll do that, and find out my starter got hurt in the second inning, and that my setup man is now 80 pitches deep.

If I auto-skip, I want the game to alert me when a player is injured or when a pitcher reaches a certain pitch count or run threshold.

5. THIS ONE IS HUGE! When I start a fictional league, there ought to be a month (maybe 2-3 months) before the inaugural draft. That way I can hire a staff and scout players from the draft pool before diving into the draft. I'm not really sure how the scouting works for these, but it's kind of a bummer to head into the inaugural draft realizing that the AI randomly saddled you with a mediocre scout.

6. When hiring coaches, I should be able to sort by the coaches who would be interested in the position I'm offering. Massive frustration to click through eight guys who aren't interested in managing at Iowa.
aaronhelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronhelman View Post
OOTP15 is a phenomenal game, and I've enjoyed more hours playing it than I have out of any other game. But the best part, I think, is the involvement of the community and the developers who actually LISTEN to make the next iteration even better.

Here are a few changes that I think would take OOTP16 to the next level:

1. The ability to hire multiple scouts. Assign scouts to be in charge of the four specific areas.

2. An option to implement a "draft wheel." (I really dislike the notion of rewarding the most incompetent teams with the best picks.)

3. Time-specific storyline items / injuries. Players in 1871 should only be diagnosed with injuries that were diagnosable in 1871.

4. In-game auto-skip interrupt options? I know that sounds complicated. I frequently auto-skip until the 6th or 7th inning, when I have to make "real" managerial decisions about bullpen and pinch hitters. But every now and again, I'll do that, and find out my starter got hurt in the second inning, and that my setup man is now 80 pitches deep.

If I auto-skip, I want the game to alert me when a player is injured or when a pitcher reaches a certain pitch count or run threshold.

5. THIS ONE IS HUGE! When I start a fictional league, there ought to be a month (maybe 2-3 months) before the inaugural draft. That way I can hire a staff and scout players from the draft pool before diving into the draft. I'm not really sure how the scouting works for these, but it's kind of a bummer to head into the inaugural draft realizing that the AI randomly saddled you with a mediocre scout.

6. When hiring coaches, I should be able to sort by the coaches who would be interested in the position I'm offering. Massive frustration to click through eight guys who aren't interested in managing at Iowa.
Only ones I disagree with are 1 & 2. No need for multiple scouts. Every sport that I follow awards the top pick to the worst team.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Draft pick lotteries say otherwise.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:12 AM   #4
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Draft pick lotteries say otherwise.
Yeah your right, forgot about NBA. i would be all for a lottery.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:33 PM   #5
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

1. Not really sure this is needed. The game doesn't really go super in depth with the scouting. For this to be something I'd consider needed scouting would need a overhaul. With one click scouting you don't really need more than one. If it was geographical and real time (as in if you sent a scout to Mississippi to check out some minor leaguer you couldn't also scout some new international guy in Japan for X days) then I'd be all for it. As it is I've kind of figured that your head scout has a team of guys under him already and that is why he can be in Japan, Mississippi, and scouting another ML team at the same time.

2. You can already randomize draft pick order or change it at your whim (in commissioner mode). Just switch to commissioner mode the day of the draft randomize it (or whatever you want to do) and then switch back out of commissioner mode.

3. I don't play historical but it does sound like a neat idea. In the 1920s you can have half your team die of tuberculosis.

4. I agree with this one. The game already does it for simulating days.

5. I COMPLETELY agree with this. The way I've thought about it is you should start on Jan, 1, XXXX and the draft shouldn't be till the first day of the preseason. And exactly as you said you should have to hire your own coaches and scouts.

6. I read where others have expressed frustration in what you are describing but to me it's not really an issue. Top managers and coaches aren't going to want to coach your aa or lower teams so trying to get them is pointless. Instead of sorting by coaches willing to coach a specific team make it coaches willing to coach minors. That way you still have some work to do and I'm all for it.

Also for those that are interested in doing a lottery style draft. their are several FREE programs online that you can manually do your own and then change the draft order in game to match what the lottery had. This is the one I use for inagural drafts (I do smallest market gets best odds) DraftPickLottery.com - random draft order tool for fantasy sports leagues

Last edited by ra7c7er; 09-27-2014 at 10:39 PM.
ra7c7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:56 AM   #6
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7c7er View Post
Top managers and coaches aren't going to want to coach your aa or lower teams so trying to get them is pointless.
But here's the rub: sometimes they do. I've seen legendary coaches with great records in the majors refuse to sign a new major league contract, but when you offer them a job in short-season A, they jump at it.

(The thing i don't like about that is that once i hire them i can move them up to the majors and they never object. I wouldn't mind it being that if you hire someone at a certain level, you can't move them up in the first year of their contract. Or include clauses like: 'will only coach/manage at this level' or 'if a vacancy opens up at the level above, must move me up,' etc)

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 02:23 AM   #7
kq76
Global Moderator

1) OOTP used to have multiple scouts. But people didn't like it or there was something wrong with implementation of it at least. I like the idea of scouts with personas, but I doubt there's many users who want to be bothered with micro-managing what scouts do.

2) I think the idea of a draft wheel is too contrived. Yes, I've read the theory behind it and there is some sense to it, but I prefer draft lotteries. Sure, there's still tanking with lotteries, but teams that rely on tanking often don't do all that well. Show the players that you're a well-run organization and they'll come to once their initial deals are done.

3) I like the idea of era-specific injuries, but who's going to do the work in compiling those lists? Yes, we have a large user-base with varied specialized interests, but are we sure we have someone who would want to take that on?

4) This idea of auto-skip interrupt options, I'd like very much. The ones I'd want to see is either when the game decides it would bring in a relief pitcher and it'd ask you which guy you'd like to bring in or maybe when your pitcher starts to get into trouble (based on leverage?) and leaves the decision up to you when to replace them.

5) Okay.

6) Izz brings up an interesting, if not also troubling, point that great coaches might just say yes to a low level job, but I could see filtering personnel by those likely to say yes and just ignoring those who might, but probably won't.

Last edited by kq76; 09-28-2014 at 02:31 AM.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:38 AM   #8
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Just select "randomize draft order" and there you go.
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #9
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izz View Post
But here's the rub: sometimes they do. I've seen legendary coaches with great records in the majors refuse to sign a new major league contract, but when you offer them a job in short-season A, they jump at it.

(The thing i don't like about that is that once i hire them i can move them up to the majors and they never object. I wouldn't mind it being that if you hire someone at a certain level, you can't move them up in the first year of their contract. Or include clauses like: 'will only coach/manage at this level' or 'if a vacancy opens up at the level above, must move me up,' etc)
I know that happens but it really shouldn't in game OR it should be extremely rare. I can't think of any real life instance where a one time major league coach decided to start over from the bottom of a teams farm system.
ra7c7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #10
hfield007
All Star Starter

To circumvent five start a fictional league one year before you want the actual start year to be. Sim one season. Release all players and set up an inaugural draft. Draft teams. Then delete league history.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:40 PM   #11
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7c7er View Post
I know that happens but it really shouldn't in game OR it should be extremely rare. I can't think of any real life instance where a one time major league coach decided to start over from the bottom of a teams farm system.
So a problem that needs fixed, yeah?

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote