Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 09-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

AI Team Strategy

I play the game pretty much out of the box from the current season. I enjoy the expansion aspect to the game. After adding the EXPOS and one other franchise I realign the leagues in to two eight team divisions. I control only one team.

The top two from each division make the play-offs. My issue is this: The AI management of the other teams does not seem to recognize my play-off format in relation to how close teams actually are to making the post-season.

An example: The Tigers are not playing great ball but are a couple of games over .500 and it is about half way through the season. The division leader is playing over .600 ball and the Tabbies are ten back. The Tigers have put Miguel Cabrera on the block. He is in the last year of his contract and is still a force to be reckoned with. The Tigers financial prognosis shows them to be in good shape. While I can understand them dealing off a superstar in the last year of his deal if they have no plans to re-sign him, the Tigers are only a half game behind the Blue Jays for 2nd place. Thus, they are only a half game out of a play-off spot. This example is one of a number of times I have seen something similar occur.

Having the AI recognize team strategy vs custom play-off formats would be great.
'94 EXPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Couple things here:

The AI does recognize when it is a play-off race

Trading Miggy does not, in way, shape, or form indicate that they are throwing the towel in. Maybe they have good enough hitting to do without Miggy but need to strengthen their rotation or pen. They could be freeing up money for another deal. Could be many reasons they are moving him. You shouldn't just assume they are giving up on the play-offs because they are trying to trade a big name.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Couple things here:

The AI does recognize when it is a play-off race

Trading Miggy does not, in way, shape, or form indicate that they are throwing the towel in. Maybe they have good enough hitting to do without Miggy but need to strengthen their rotation or pen. They could be freeing up money for another deal. Could be many reasons they are moving him. You shouldn't just assume they are giving up on the play-offs because they are trying to trade a big name.
Blue, normally I agree with you, but Seriously? Trade your best hitter for a few prospects and maybe 1 guy who can pitch out of the pen and then you have a problem with hitting. I agree with the OP. I have seen it time and time again in my league.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Blue, normally I agree with you, but Seriously? Trade your best hitter for a few prospects and maybe 1 guy who can pitch out of the pen and then you have a problem with hitting. I agree with the OP. I have seen it time and time again in my league.
I'm only speculating. I have no idea what the rest of the Tigers team looks like. That's why I used the word "Maybe". I can't sit here with no info and say whether it's a good trade or bad trade, nor can you.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:59 PM   #5
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
I'm only speculating. I have no idea what the rest of the Tigers team looks like. That's why I used the word "Maybe". I can't sit here with no info and say whether it's a good trade or bad trade, nor can you.
If the game recognizes it and that's the way the teams are run then that's fine. I do like the franchises to be run in unique ways. However, I made the post as a suggestion because it is something I have seen a number of times through the years and it only seems to apply to teams that are in the hunt for the second place finish (but significantly trail the division leader) in my leagues.

For the record in this instance, the Tigers are a good hitting club. Their starting staff is middle to good and their bullpen is injury ravaged. As of right now Cabrera is still on the block. If they trade for a young stud pitcher or significant help for the major league team then I will eat my words. If they dump him for prospects then I still feel there is an issue. I will let you know how it all goes down!

Also for the record, this game is by far and way the best of any b-ball simulator in relation to trades and player movement. I just want it to keep getting better.
Old 09-30-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

As the deadline approached I decided to do some investigating and tried to kick the tires with the Tigers in relation to acquiring Miggy. It didn't get very far as he enacted his 10 and 5 rights.

The deadline past and there was no deal! I am assuming it was the 10 and 5 block that stopped it for other teams as well but obviously can't say for sure.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by '94 EXPOS View Post
As the deadline approached I decided to do some investigating and tried to kick the tires with the Tigers in relation to acquiring Miggy. It didn't get very far as he enacted his 10 and 5 rights.

The deadline past and there was no deal! I am assuming it was the 10 and 5 block that stopped it for other teams as well but obviously can't say for sure.
In my EBL league i have many custom players. My league is historical fictional. I manually give all my custom players a no trade clause every opening day and start of the offseason. While 50% of the time the AI ignores this and trades someone away sometimes they stick to it and keep them. From what I have seen most of the time they attempt to trade someone away is when the player is going into his FA year. Players tend to get traded from bad teams.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:06 AM   #8
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

Just a further and final update. The Tigers moved in to first place and put Cabrera back on the block after the July trade deadline.

I still have an issue with the Trade AI in this instance however I must concede that Cabrera's presence on the trading block does not appear to be linked the Tigers standing re: the original issue I had posted.

Thanks for the feedback
Old 10-01-2013, 04:20 AM   #9
tejdog1
All Star Starter

It might be the same as teams putting all their star players on revocable waivers post 7/31.

Hey, some stupid team might be like "we'll give you actual human beings who have the ability to play baseball for Vernon Wells"
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote