Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 12-21-2019, 03:13 PM   #1
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Chicago Cougars (FABL)

I've been in Figment since it started and as much as I wanted to join the fellow members of the league in posting on the boards, I was not quite adjusted to Stats Only leagues. I spent the first three seasons (where the Cougars have been awful) really getting used to the league itself, building my team the way I wanted, and really immersing myself in the league as a whole. And while my writing may not be as polished as some of the other reports, I thought the start of the 1928 season was the perfect time to join the fray and take you guys through my journey with my hometown Cougars!

Opening Day is approaching, so I will begin going position by position announcing are Opening Day roster before diving deeper into the system and analyzing our top prospects and recent draft classes before doing daily (hopefully) sim recaps. Hope you guys enjoy!

Other Active Figment Dynasties:
The Ballad of the Brothers Barrell - A Figment Story: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=304094
All things Figment - from the pages of The Figment Sporting Journal: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=308918

Draft Database: https://github.com/ayaghmour2/Figment (Updated for the 1949 Draft - May have issues with 1950 which isn't in yet)

History
1929 (Pages 1-3): 62-92 (8th, 41 GB)
1930 (Pages 3-5): 84-70 (4th, 4 GB)
1931 (Pages 5-8): 91-63 (1st, 6 GA): Won the World Championship Series against the New York Gothams
1932 (Pages 8-11): 97-57 (2nd, 2 GB)
1933 (Pages 11-13): 97-57 (1st, 10 GA): Lost the World Championship Series to the Philadelphia Keystones
1934 (Pages 13-17): 78-76 (5th, 20 GB)
1935: (Pages 17-20): 68-86 (6th, 28 GB)
1936: (Pages 20-23): 63-91 (6th, 35 GB)
1937: (Pages 23-27): 83-71 (3rd, 8 GB)
1938: (Pages 28-30): 79-75 (5th, 11 GB)
1939: (Pages 31-33): 82-72 (3rd, 5 GB)
1940: (Pages 34-36): 87-67 (2nd, 1 GB)
1941: (Pages 36-39): 97-57 (1st, 8 GA): Lost the World Championship Series to the Boston Minutemen
1942: (Pages 39-42): 84-70 (2nd, 19 GB)
1943: (Pages 42-45): 86-68 (3rd, 8 GB)
1944: (Pages 45-48): 85-69 (3rd, 5 GB)
1945: (Pages 49-51): 82-72 (3rd, 13 GB)
1946: (Pages 51-54): 92-63 (2nd, 1 GB): Lost Association Tiebreaker to the New York Stars
1947: (Pages 54-58): 71-83 (7th, 15 GB)
1948: (Pages 58-62): 85-60 (2nd, 2 GB)
1949: (Pages 62-65): 82-72 (2nd, 13 GB)
1950: Opening Day on Page 68!

Last edited by ayaghmour2; 03-26-2024 at 03:33 PM.
ayaghmour2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:51 PM   #2
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Opening Day Roster: Rotation

To make roster cuts easy, I decided to go with a 9 man staff. Last year was the first season since I've been GM that we had an ERA under 5.00 (impressive, I know...) but out park is not the friendliest for pitchers, especially for those who love giving up home runs. Here's how the rotation is going to shape up:

LHP Dick Lyons: A 28-year-old from Denton, TX, Lyons was the Cougars 2nd Round pick in 1921 out of Frankford State. It took him a bit to make the show, debuting at 25 in 1926 with a 27.1 inning audition that did not go to well. Last season was his second full season in the league and he has slowly blossomed into a dependable arm at the top of the rotation. He lead the league in HR/9 (0.3), even with the 300 feet fences down the line. He was just 9-18 (we had the worst record in the league last season), but had a solid 3.88 ERA (111 ERA+) with 81 strikeouts, 70 walks, and a 1.50 WHIP. If WAR is your cup of tea, his was an impressive 5.1 in 243.2 innings pitched. He's excellent and generating groundballs, so our fielders always have to be ready when he's on the mound.

RHP Vince DaCosta: A tale of two seasons it was for the now 35-year-old veteran. In 1927, he was lead the league with 22 wins and worked to a 3.99 ERA (107 ERA+), 1.49 WHIP, and 92 strikeouts despite leading the league in homers for his second straight season. In 1928, it couldn't have been more different, as he lead the league with 22 losses and owned a 5.71 ERA (75 ERA+), 1.67 WHIP, and just 46 strikeouts. His homers dropped significantly, but the meteoric fall in strikeouts is much much worse. For a rebuilding team like ours, DaCosta's only job is to eat innings until the younger guys are ready, but the former 4th round pick definitely has FABL pedigree. In his career with the Gothams and Cougars, he's 86-97 with a 4.39 ERA and 1.50 WHIP in 1,695.2 innings spanning 10 seasons. He's topped 250 innings every season since 1924, but with another season like last he's likely not going to reach that this year. He's an interesting bounce back candidate that can be moved near the deadline if we find ourselves near the bottom of the standings again.

RHP Johnny Dougals: If only he could stay healthy... Last season was shaping out great for the 5'5'' Douglas, as his 10 starts were elite. He was 4-4 with a 2.99 ERA (144 ERA+) and 1.22 WHIP before forearm inflammation cost him his season. He got a late start too, as a tender elbow and then herniated disc also caused him to miss time last season. All after tearing his flexor tendon towards the end of the 1926 season, costing him all of 1927. He was acquired in a trade with the Stars that season for 3B John Lawson and CF Joe Snider which looks really bad now. Joe Lawson had an excellent rookie year, hitting .344/.404/.518 (157 OPS+) with 22 homers and 106 RBI's. He really came out of nowhere, as before trading him, I just signed him as a minor league free agent, but I could have had my 3B of the future if I held on to them. In Douglas' defense, he's been just as good when healthy, going 10-9 with a 3.00 ERA (158 ERA+) and 1.35 WHIP in 26 starts. We're hoping he can stay healthy and perform at the level he's shown.

LHP Babe Wilder: Like DaCosta, the 36-year-old veteran is here to eat innings. He's been an FABL pitcher since 1915 where he debuted with the Miners as a 22-year-old. He spent half the season in the minors last year, but when called up to Chicago, he was excellent. He went 6-7 with a 3.58 ERA (120 ERA+) and 1.42 WHIP with 47 strikeouts in 14 starts. We grabbed him off waivers from St. Louis in the 1926 offseason, making Chicago his third stop in the league. For his career, he's 131-121 with a 4.03 ERA, 1.48 WHIP, and 787 strikeouts in 2,258.2 career innings. If he continues his pace, the veteran lefty could be flipped for prospects near the deadline. The only problem is he hasn't been an above average pitcher since 1922 (discounting last season), so it may have been a lucky handful of starts.

RHP Cotton Taylor: We round out the rotation with 26-year-old Cotton Taylor, who we poached from the Foresters organization in the 1926 Rule-5 Draft. A former 11th Round pick by Baltimore out of Cumberland in the 1923 draft. Taylor has been effective the past two season, going 14-22 with a 4.37 ERA, 1.50 WHIP, and 122 strikeouts in 356.2 innings the past two seasons. Last year he was used strictly out of the rotation, and he looked very comfortable in 26 starts in the majors. He may have been 6-13, but he had a solid 4.10 ERA (105 ERA+), 1.40 WHIP, and 75 strikeouts in just under 200 innings. I love his upside, and he can slowly work is way up the rotation.

I sent a trio of young starters to AAA Milwaukee to start the season, 23-year-old Ben Curtin and 24-year-olds Lou Gaffin and Dick Kadlec. Kadlec is the only of the trio with big league experience, as he made three September starts for us last season. All three rank in our top prospect list, so I will talk more about them in those posts. Veteran Benny Walker also did not make the team, but the 34-year-old hasn't pitched since 1927 and suffered from two setbacks after being diagnosed with shoulder inflammation.

The bullpen is next!
Old 12-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Opening Day Roster: Bullpen

I originally planned a 4 man bullpen before I remembered the rosters were 23 and not 25. It's a rag tag group of arms that doesn't look too promising on the surface, but these were the guys I wanted to lose the least, as none of them could be sent to AAA outright.

LHP Ace McSherry: A starter by trade, I really wish he was better as he has the perfect name to lead a rotation. Instead, the 25-year-old we found from Baltimore's organization in the Rule-5 Draft, McSherry will function as our stopper. Surprisingly, my scout is a big fan of him in the pen (most scouts in the league hate pitchers) and thinks that he will eventually become one of the better stoppers in the league. A former 7th Round Pick out of Ellery, who currently leads the Academia Alliance (our version of the Ivy League), McSherry hasn't had the greatest minor league success, but he has shown a lot of promise in striking out batters. I love having lefties in my pen, especially sidewinding ones that can throw in the mid to high 90s.

RHP Charley O'Hare: Did he earn the job out of camp? No. Did he pitch well last year? No. Has he ever really pitched well? Uhh... maybe? So why did he make the team? Simple: he's out of options and was the 15th Overall pick by us way back in 1918 who can eat up those always fun mop up innings. He debuted back in 1922, but then didn't resurface into the majors until 1926. He was terrible in the rotation, but maybe the move to the pen can help him. In his career, he has a 5.13 ERA and 1.78 WHIP with 137 strikeouts in 447 big league innings. He has a solid sinker that generates groundballs, which is helpful for our stadium. He definitely has a short leash, and if one of my youngsters in AAA looks ready for the majors, he's likely the one to get waived.

RHP Clyde Lincoln: He was recently claimed off waivers from Montreal, and made his FABL debut last season with them. He has bounced around a lot since the Miners took him in the 15th Round back in 1923, and Chicago is his 8th stop. Last season he pitched really well, going 5-3 with a 2.94 ERA (138 ERA+), 1.28 WHIP, and 41 strikeouts in 70.1 innings, mostly coming out of the bullpen. He throws in the 90s and has a decent four pitch arsenal. He's also had a lot of success in the minors, so Lincoln is a nice low-risk high-reward pickup.

RHP Andy Chastain: He was supposed to have the fourth spot, but I ended up waiving another former waiver claim from Montreal. Last season wasn't his best, as he had a 5.88 ERA and 1.63 WHIP in 49 innings in 6 starts and 5 relief appearances. A 5th Round Pick by the Sailors in 1919 out of Little Rock HS, I expect Chastain to pass through waivers easily.

Four other relievers were sent to AAA, veterans Michael Ivory and Chick Meenhan as well as youngsters Ed Woodward and Ray Powell. Ivory spent the past two seasons in our pen, but he didn't offer much relief. Meehan was really good last season, but he has options and isn't really more then a depth piece. Powell was poached from Washington in the 1926 Rule-5 Draft, and like Meehan, was dependable yet also optionable. Woodward was a 15th Round pick back in 1922 who was shelled in his debut last season.

We'll preview catchers a bit later in the day!
Old 12-21-2019, 06:32 PM   #4
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Opening Day Roster: Catchers

The catcher of the future, Fred Barrell, won't be starting Opening Day, however the 23-year-old is knocking on the door. The two guys in front of him will have their work cut out if they want to stay in the majors:

C Barney Green: A former 10th Round Pick back in the 1923 draft, the switch hitter Barney Green will be the Opening Day starter for a second season in a row. As a rookie, he had a solid season, batting .265/.339/.344 (85 OPS+) with 6 homers and 57 RBI's. He isn't the best defender out there, but he had a solid caught stealing percentage around 40%. This season he will be playing for his roster spot, as once Barrell is comfortable (his Spring was not very good) in his first season in AAA, one of the two catchers on the roster will find themselves where Barrell is currently.

C Slick Hostetter: A minor league signing back in 1920, the lefty looked like he could be the catcher of the future. 1926 seemed to be a breakout, and he hit .340/.414/.399 (117 OPS+) with 3 homers and 61 RBI's. The only problem is he is a terrible defender. His CERA is over 5.00 and his caught stealing percentage has slowly gone down each season. He's a bat first catcher, as even in limited playing time he's been productive, but manager Hank Sims does not like to pencil him in the lineup.

Sent down to AAA was also Tony Stewart, a Rule-5 pick back in 1926 from the Detroit organization. He was decent in 1927 (85 OPS+) and he isn't too bad of a defender. He had a rough September with the big league club, but hit .341/.387/.408 with Milwaukee last season. It's tough for him as we have a lot of depth at catcher and he deserves a spot on a big league roster.

On to the infielders!
Old 12-21-2019, 07:14 PM   #5
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Opening Day Roster: Infielders

We have an entirely different infield alignment for this Opening Day compared to last season. Most of this has to do with the late injury to 2B Bill Ashbaugh. A lot of youngsters started in the Spring, including SS Slim Bloom, who was a tough roster cut, but he has yet to play in AAA and his bat just isn't quite there yet even with his strong Spring. I'll introduce the starters before the bench:

1B John Dibblee: One of the best players in the history of the FABL, the formerly elite CF (career +200 ZR even with a -15.9 showing as a 37-year-old) now calls first base home. "The Top Cat" has been a big league since he was 17 way back in 1906 and he's never had a below average offensive season in his 22-year-career. Now 40, Dibblee owns a .346/.428/.514 line with 3,574 hits, 744 steals, and 1,361 RBI's. He never had much power, just 80 career homers, but he hits the gaps well and has 499 doubles and 500 triples. He holds the single season record for triples with 57 in 1913 and his top 10 All-Time in numerous offensive categories including #2 in hits and triples, #5 in RBI's and OBP, and 3rd in WAR, steals, and runs. He doesn't show any signs of slowing down and is ranked as the 6th best 1B in the league. A fan favorite and legend in Chicago, Dibblee has a job with this team as long as he chooses to play.

2B Gary Sanders: This should be Bill Ashbaugh's spot, but with his injury Gary Sanders will play his third position in four seasons. It is temporary, but the slick fielding Sanders will man the keystone for at least the first two weeks of the season. Our 2nd Round pick in 1922, Sanders has never played an inning at second, but owns a +19.6 and +24.5 ZR at third and short respectively in just 300 games a piece. Generally a league average hitter, Sanders had a rough 1928 and fell to a .235/.278/.325 (62 OPS+) line in his second full season at short. His .298/.323/.410 career line is much better, but we're not too sure he can regain that form. His glove will always help him find a job on a big league roster, however, and even once Ashbaugh returns, he'll still have a spot on the roster.

3B Mack Deal: Just 22 and the #26 prospect in the league, Mack Deal earned the job out of Spring after slashing .415/.500/.561 to take the job from last year's starter Ben Hathaway. Deal got in to 16 September games last year, hitting .284/.294/.403 (87+ OPS) with a homer, 3 RBI's, and 5 steals. Formerly a shortstop, Deal had a little trouble at that position and has taken to third well the past two seasons in the minors. He'll never be known for his glove, but he's not going to hurt you in the field and he'll more then make up for it at the plate and on the basepaths. He tore through AA and AAA pitching last season, with OPS+ of 120 and 127 respectively with 7 homers, 76 RBI's, and 11 steals. Taken 6th Overall out of Detroit HS in 1924, Deal appears to have lived up to that potential and should man the hot corner for the next decade here in Chicago.

SS Harry Simmons: If you haven't noticed yet, I love Rule-5 picks, and even with forgetting to export for the 1928 one, I've made at least 10 in the past three seasons. Simmons is one of them, as the former 8th Round selection by the Dynamos in 1923 (they took him in the 4th round the year before) will at least temporarily hold the starting shortstop job. He moved to a full time 3B job after the 1925 season, but he has a +6.2 ZR there with a similar (in regards to innings) +17.7 ZR at the hot corner. I like his defense better then Deal's, so the 24-year-old gets his shot to hold down short at least until Ashbaugh returns and shifts the defensive alignment again. With AA Akron last season, he hit .319/.369/.398 (122 OPS+) with 19 steals and 50 runs driven in. My scout is a big fan of the lefty, and he's nearly a lock to spend the whole season with us.

3B Ben Hathaway: The first member of the bench, the 29-year-old Ben Hathaway was a waiver claim from Cleveland at the beginning of the 1927 season. He was the starter at the hot corner until now, with nearly identical 99 and 98 OPS+ totaling 13 homers and 157 RBI's in two full seasons with the Cougars. For his career, the former 15th Overall selection by the Foresters owns a .296/.354/.430 with 33 homers and 266 RBI's in just over 2,000 FABL plate appearances. He isn't the best defender out there, but he had an amazing +13.2 ZR in 1925 that is actually better then his career total. He'll be out #1 pinch hitter as most of our other bench guys are better defenders then hitters.

SS Charlie Gamble: The Cougars took Charlie Gamble 8th Overall out of Ellery, the same school teammate Ace McSherry attended, and though he'd be the shortstop of the future. He's an excellent defender (+63.5 ZR), but the bat never really surfaced. His career .284/.343/.374 line isn't terrible by any means, but the 30-year-old switch hitter doesn't hit the ball very hard. He's a fringe starter, but has been benched in favor of Gary Sanders in recent years. He has a chance to move off the bench if Simmons and Sanders both struggle, and he should see more time then he did last season. He's fast on the bases as well which makes him a nice late game asset.

SS Tom Rogers: A Rule-5 Pick from the Stars this season, Rogers has been a quality defender at both third and short in the minors, and I'm looking to get him some reps at second too. He's on the older side at 27, but he's got good speed and was an average hitter in AAA last season, owning a .258/.323/.346 line with 14 steals and 48 RBI's. A 2nd Round pick out of Pierpont, Rogers may not have much time to show that he deserves to stay on the team as he was the last man to make the team.

Speaking of last to make the team, Rogers beat out 1B Roy Evans, who was waived and designated for assignment. The 29-year-old was acquired in a deadline deal with Toronto in 1924, but he doesn't look too promising. His bat isn't terrible, and he may get claimed, but I have no room for a 29-year-old corner infielder when I already have a more proven hitter in Hathaway on the bench. The only other real roster casualty in the infield was Slim Bloom, who despite a solid spring, will head to AAA Milwaukee. The 23-year-old was a former 13th Round pick of ours out of New York HS, and he's now the 76th ranked prospect in all of baseball. Interesting enough, his high school as a few interesting prospects I'm keeping my on for the upcoming drafts.

The outfield will be next and I may get to them tonight!

Last edited by ayaghmour2; 12-23-2019 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:50 AM   #6
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Opening Day Roster: Outfielders

The last of the roster reviews go to the outfield. There's a lot of young talent (at least according to my scout) at the major league level and waiting at AAA Milwaukee. This will be the first season in over twenty years that John Dibblee will not be apart of the Cougars outfield.

LF Dick Fessell: A midseason callup last year, the 25-year-old lefty Dick Fessell will retain the starting job as no one else really tried to take the left field position. A 3rd Round selection of ours in the 1925 draft, Fessell hit .273/.357/.349 (91 OPS+) with 3 homers, 8 steals, and 25 RBI's. He won't kill us in the field, but he may eventually find himself at first base once Dibblee decides to call it a career as we have a few higher upside outfielders waiting behind him. Fessell is used to this, as he was the third outfielder with Doug and Frank Lightbody at Mississippi A&M and spent most of his time at first once the younger Lightbody joined the Generals. He doesn't have a lock on the starting spot, but he's likely to stay on the active roster for most of the season.

CF Bob McCarty: It was hard giving him the starting job over George Jordan, but McCarty is technically our second best player (which isn't a good thing...) and wasn't terrible last season. Acquired in the 1927 offseason along with SS Pat Schurring from the Stars for a trio of prospects including current Stars relievers Bert Houston and Phil English, McCarty was supposed to start in center last season before dislocating his shoulder in the Spring. After coming back, he hit .277/.340/.364 (90 OPS+) with 5 steals and 27 RBI's in 220 at bats. He's a decent defender, but he may shift to left is Jordan gets back on track in AAA.

RF Art Panko: At one point, it looked like Art Panko was going to be one of the best players in the FABL. A 4th Round pick of ours in 1920, Panko debuted in 1922 and was dominate the following two seasons. With OPS+ of 131, 141, and 153, he hit 55 triples, 78 doubles, 23 homers, stole 54 bases, and drove in 293 runs in 280 games. In 1923 he lead the league in triples (30) and RBI's (122) and then in 1924 lead the league in RBI's (102), average (.348), slugging (.523), and OPS (.935). He had two average seasons after that, and seemed to rebound in '27 before he put up his first below average offensive season (95 OPS+) of his career. He's a great defender in the corners, and may see time at left depending on Fessell's performance and the rest of the AAA squad. My scout has slowly soured on him, but a rebound makes him an appealing trade candidate.

CF Joe Davis: I had the first pick of the Rule-5 Draft, and went with 24-year-old Joe Davis. An 11th Round Pick by the Foresters out of Lynn HS, I was rather shocked he was left unprotected. He's hit at every level and is a pretty capable defender out in center. My scout is a huge fan of his, and even with our depth in the outfield, I couldn't pass up on him. There's a very low chance he doesn't stick with the team all through the year, and he can play himself into the starting lineup and he'll get some starts in left and right as well to spell both Fessell and Panko against lefties.

CF Hi Lawson: A 10th Round Pick by us in 1920, he won the 1919 College World Series with Liberty College, the same school that produced #1 Overall Tom Wilcox who we narrowly missed out on in the draft (the #1 pick alternates between the Federal and Continental, and even though we had the worst record, it was the Federal's turn) as well as our 11th Round Pick Jim Dyer. 1928 was Lawson's first taste of the majors since 1925, but he hit just .242/.320/.298 (68 OPS+) with 7 steals and 23 RBI's in 82 starts in center while McCarty was hurt. Lawson's defense and his lack of options helped him earn the final outfield spot, but don't expect him to survive the rest of the season.

CF Mike Smith: Our last Rule-5 pick (of 6) who made the team, Smith isn't the defender Davis is, but he has some prospect shine and hit an impressive .339/.406/.506 (143 OPS+) with 10 homers and 39 RBI's in AA Memphis. A 3rd Round Pick back in 1923, we got him from out crosstown rival Chiefs. He was actually a 14th Round Pick by the Kings the year before out of Nashville HS, but they released him and he transferred to Pittsburgh HS and raised his stock. The lefty Smith will get starts in left and right when Fessell and Panko need rest, but he is a little less safe then Davis for remaining on the roster.

The outfield had the most cuts, with Juan Valquez, the aforementioned George Jordan, Don Phillips, and Johnny Johnson. Jordan is ranked 97th in the league for prospects, but the switch hitter hasn't quite hit to his potential. Johnson isn't ranked as a prospect, but the 25-year-old is a decent filler starter if needed. Valquez and Phillips are nothing more then depth pieces with little to no value other then injury insurance.

Our Opening Day isn't until after Christmas, but until then, I will write about whatever comes to mind. I plan on doing a top prospect and draft review post, but may touch into the history of the Cougars as well.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:00 PM   #7
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Top Prospects: 1-10

We dropped down to 5th in the prospect rankings, with a few guys graduating and what I felt was a weak draft class. We lack a top guy, but have a bunch in the 25-65 range. I feel like our farm is better then it is ranked, but my guess is that is how everyone except Baltimore (who is 1) feels. The game is very variable (with it being stats only) and the current #1 prospect, RF Mahlon Strong, was an 8th Round pick in the previous draft. He also hit .229/.271/.360 with 7 homers and 43 RBI's, which doesn't quite scream #1 overall prospect, however we can't see his ratings (and my scout absolutely loves him) so his mediocre high school stats look more like an 8th Rounder then the best youngster in the game. Anything in quotations will be in my scouts words, not mine. Anyways, without further adieu, here is the top 10 in the Cougars farm system!

3B Mack Deal (26th Overall)
Acquired: Via Draft: 1st Round, 6th Overall (1924)
Alma Mater: Detroit HS Panthers

The goal is for Deal to spend the entire season in the majors, so he's likely going to graduate off the top prospect list in two months. Naturally a shortstop, Deal can also play second, third, and left, and the hot corner seems to be the spot for him. He's got elite speed and shapes up to be a "whiz-kid at third base" and he's able to "consistently put the barrel of the bat on the ball" which makes it seem like the 22-year-old can be a two way superstar. Deal's minor league career took off last season, where he jumped up from A Lincoln all the way to the big league Clubs. He hit .284/.294/.403 with a homer, 5 steals, and 3 RBI's in 16 games with the big league club last season, but tore apart Spring pitching, slashing .415/.500/.561. Deal's real weakness is his power, as the 8 he hit last year combined is the most in a full season. He's a triple machine, however, and our stadium doesn't play too well to that aspect despite the numbers Panko and Dibblee have put up in the past. If the glove continues to develop and Deal doesn't become a purely singles hitter, he's going to be a cornerstone to build around.

SP Ben Turner (29th Overall)
Acquired: Via Draft: 9th Round, 131st Overall (1926)
Alma Mater: Scranton HS Miners

When I selected Turner in the 9th Round, he was maybe 23rd on my entire draft list. The fact that he fell this far (and that I got that many guys before him that aren't any better...), really surprised me as he was dominate his whole High School career. As a senior, he went 8-2 with a 1.63 ERA (265 ERA+), 1.03 WHIP, and 72 strikeouts in 78.1 innings and his career numbers were impressive as well. He was 15-8 with a 2.05 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, and 210 strikeouts in 219.2 innings. Scouts generally hate pitchers in this league, and "Turner's future lies in the rotation as a useful arm" is the equivalent to you have a budding young ace. He has "pinpoint control" and is playing against older competition. The 21-year-old will head back to Class A Lincoln where he went 11-7 with a 4.18 ERA and 1.35 WHIP where most people send their college draftees (like my #1 pick this year). If everything goes as planned and he keeps his clean injury history, Turner should be heading the Cougars rotation for years to come.

C Fred Barrell (31st Overall)
Acquired: Via Draft: 1st Round, 3rd Overall (1926)
Alma Mater: Georgia Baptist Gators

While Turner may be the best pitcher of mine from the 1926 class, Barrell is definitely the best hitter. Son of in universe celebrity Rufus Barrell (all his kids are good at sports like he was and I almost want to lose every game this season to draft his brother Tom), Fred is likely the best catching prospect in the game. He's "outstanding" behind the plate and "potentially one of the best at his position" and he has those intangibles you love to see in young players. He's flashed pop with 16 homers his first season in the minors, but just managed 3 in a much less hitter friendly AA level. The numbers were still great, as he hit .321/.378/.416 (111 OPS+) with 102 RBI's and more walks (44) then strikeouts (35). Barrell will get his first taste of AAA Milwaukee, and the major league job is his when he wants it. Just 23, he struggled a little in the spring, but with a little more seasoning with the Blues Barrell should form an elite battery with Ben Turner as tides begin to start changing in Chicago.

SP Heinie Bretz (49th Overall)
Acquired: Via Draft: 4th Round, 51st Overall (1926)
Alma Mater: Wilkes-Barre HS Warrios

The 1926 Draft looks like a great class for the Cougars, as 4th Rounder Heinie Bretz is the third straight member to fill up the top of our prospect list. Like Turner, his senior year was dominate, as he went 7-6 with a 1.66 ERA (256 ERA+), 0.90 WHIP, and 104 strikeouts in 97.1 innings pitched. Last season with Class B San Jose, he went 10-4 with a 3.23 ERA (150 ERA+), 1.19 WHIP, and 81 strikeouts in 18 starts before a promotion to Class A Lincoln. He may have been over-matched there, as his 16 starts with the Legislators were much worse. He was just 4-7 with a 5.72 ERA (70 ERA+), 1.82 WHIP, and more walks (55) then strikeouts (20). He probably wan't quite ready (although I don't like demoting top prospects midseason unless it's for an injury), so I'll let him build his confidence back up with San Jose before giving him another shot in Class A. Bretz receives high praise from my scout, who views him as a "solid #3 starter or better" which is about as good of a compliment as you can get. He's a groundballer who does a good job of throwing strikes, as his 35 walks with San Jose in 128 innings is more realistic then the 55 in 102.1 with Lincoln. Bretz will likely check in right behind Turner in what looks to be a bright young rotation.

SP George DeForest (51st Overall)
Acquired: Via Draft: 6th Round, 83rd Overall (1927)
Alma Mater: San Antonio HS Warriors

Another guy acquired through the draft, George DeForest got his first taste of professional ball last season in Class B San Jose. The then 19-year-old held his own, going 16-9 with a 4.31 ERA (112 ERA), 1.30 WHIP, and 160 strikeouts in 208.2 innings. He did have his trouble with walks (92) and he'll head down to the newly created Class C La Crosse Lions. And like Bretz and Turner, DeForest was unhittable in High School. He finished his career with the Warriors 13-4 with a 1.83 ERA, 0.85 WHIP, and 230 strikeouts in 216.1 innings. And like Turner, I'm shocked he fell as far as he did. His control may be a problem, but he's great at striking hitters out with his four pitch mix featuring a 90-92 MPH fastball backed up by a curve, knuckle curve, and change. He has a lot of developing left to go, but he could find himself in Lincoln by the end of the season. We'll have to wait a little longer with him as opposed to Turner and Bretz, but DeForest could be a #2 if not #3 in any rotation in baseball.

2B Rabbit Forrest (55th Overall)
Acquired: Via Draft: 7th Round, 100th Overall (1925)
Alma Mater: Cleveland HS Barons

The switch hitting Forrest was part of my first draft class, which has already seen 1st Rounder Bill Ashbaugh, 3rd Rounder Dick Fessell, and 5th Rounder Phil English debut in the FABL, so it seems fitting that the 7th Rounder with a real cool name would be the highest ranked prospect in our system from that class. Forrest is naturally a sescond basemen, I tried him out at third and I'm starting to give him reps at short with Ashbaugh locked in at the keystone and his bat as promising as it is. He isn't the greatest defender and he may end up at first base so Forrest may return there where he owns a career +20.3 ZR in 264 starts. He hit thorugh Class A Lincoln, slashing .376/.462/.512 (156 OPS+) with 5 steals and 25 RBI's in 213 at bats before earning a promotion to AA Mobile and finished the season there. Despite being just 20, he held his own, hitting .360/.397/.465 (128 OPS+) with 11 steals and 47 RBI's all while trying to learn third base. If he continues to mash like he did, Forrest may play himself into the starting lineup.

SP Dick Kadlec (61st Overall)
Acquired: Via Trade with Philadelphia (1926)
Drafted: 3rd Round, 35th Overall by Philadelphia (1922)
Alma Mater: Decatur HS Demons

The first top prospect I didn't draft! Originally a 3rd Round selection by the Keystones way back in 1922, I acquired the now 24-year-old and CF Dave Lappin for former ace Bill Ross and an 8th Round Pick in the offseason before the 1927 season. It panned out instantly for the Keystones, as Ross went 16-8 with a 3.44 ERA (123 ERA+), 1.43 WHIP, and 96 strikeouts in 32 starts on his way to a pennant. Kadlec features a splitter and a mid 90s fastball with his five pitch arsenal. A rough spring sent him down to AAA to start the year, but Kadlec held his own in a 3 start audition last September. The youngster went 1-2 with a 4.24 ERA and 1.41 WHIP. He should be back with the big league club soon, as he'll turn 25 at the end of May, but Kadlec still looks like a middle of the rotation starter. He may not be the ace we once though he'd develop into, but Ross will be in his mid-30s when we can likely compete for a CA pennant.

SS Clyde Hinzman (63rd Overall)
Acquired: Via Draft: 6th Round, 84th Overall (1925)
Alma Mater: Washington DC HS Senators

Another member of our first human draft class, Hinzman is a glove first middle infielder (my favorite kind!) who's already accumulated a +41.8 ZR in just under 4,000 innings at short. Almost 22, "there are few players better at turning a double play at shortstop" and "he makes good contact" that will give him value even if the power he once showed doesn't develop. He spent nearly all of last season with Class A Lincoln, hitting .274/.322/.376 with a homer and 47 RBI's, nothing like the 10 he hit in 1927 with San Jose. I'd move him up to Mobile, but with Forrest learning short, I wanted Hinzman to get everyday reps. If short proves to be too difficult for Forrest or his bat carries him up to AAA, Hinzman is the first guy to get the call. While I never expect him to be more then an average hitter, having an elite defender at short is always a plus for any team.

3B Harry Simmons (64th Overall)
Acquired: Via Rule-5 Draft from Detroit: (1928)
Drafted: 4th Round, 114th Overall by Detroit (1922) and 8th Round, 134th Overall by Detroit (1923)
Alma Mater: Syracuse HS Stars

I touched a little bit on his weird draft story on the infielders post, but 24-year-old Harry Simmons will get to start opening day as our shortstop, a position he is more then capable of. While the Dynamos moved him to third, he played short in High School and his first season in the minors before moving to the hot corner. He "is an elite defensive third basemen" and "runs well and aggressively" which makes me think he has the range for short. Of course, the time here may be short lived depending on how he hits, but he was great in AA Akron last year. He slashed .319/.369/.398 (122 OPS+) with 19 steals and 50 RBI's in 139 games. With Deal entrenched at third, Simmons may end up on the bench long-term, but a multi-positional infielder with speed is extremely valuable and he could result into interesting trade bait if he survives (which is likely) the season on the active roster.

SS Pat Schuring (72nd Overall)
Acquired: Via Trade with New York (1927)
Drafted: 2nd Round, 16th Overall by New York (1925)
Alma Mater: Dallas HS Rangers

Acquired with Bob McCarty in exchange for Phil English, Bert Houston, and Bob Worley during the 1927 offseason, the now 21-year-old Schuring started his Cougars career with San Jose last season. He hit .274/.361/.371 with 4 homers, 6 steals, and 64 RBI's in just under 500 at bats with an impressive +8.8 ZR at short. He's a patient hitter with pretty good gap to gap power and a little home run pop. His main asset is his glove, but unlike Hinzman, he may develop into a better then average hitter. With all the SS depth we have, he's waiting with Hinzman for the eventual Forrest return to 2B or promotion to AAA and will return to San Jose. He's actually part Italian, which is pretty cool, as nearly every player in the game is American (there's a few international guys on the independent minor league teams minor league complexes) and is a cool little story addition to the game if (when *fingers crossed*) he makes the majors.

11-20 will be next! I might try to get them in tonight, but they will definitely be up tomorrow.

Last edited by ayaghmour2; 12-22-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 11:59 PM   #8
Jiggs McGee
All Star Reserve

Thanks for sharing some great information on the Cougars organization. Times have been tough the past couple of seasons and might also be this year but as you have indicated there is plenty of good young talent on the way to make Northsiders take heed of their team and serve as a reminder there is plenty of reason not be too envious of their Federal Association rivals in south Chicago.

The Cougars have a nice collection of young pitchers in their system led by Ben Turner, George DeForest and Heinie Bretz and, as you pointed out, catcher Fred Barrell and 3B Mack "The Real" Deal should be stars in this league for years to come. Old Jiggs would also like to touch on a couple of other players I really like in the Cougars system.

Let's start with Vince York. I first called attention to the 22 year old former Wichita High School star a year ago in an article late last summer when I mentioned the minor league outfielder was one of only 3 professional ballplayers to have over 220 hits at that point of the season. The other two were Jim Hampton of the Chicago Chiefs (who ended up batting .397 to lead the entire FABL) and Frank Vance of Detroit, who finished third behind Hampton and Joe Masters in Whitney Award voting. When the dust settled on the season York, an outfielder who split time between AA and AAA a year ago, was also surpassed by Masters for hits on the year but his minor league season was still one worth noticing. York ended up with 227, more hits than anyone else who played pro ball last season except the 3 finalists for the Whitney Award in the Federal Association.

Yes, the others did it in the big leagues and York was facing minor league pitching but let it sink in for a moment. York hit 227 base knocks and his .398 average was better than any other player - major or minor league- with at least 350 at bats a year ago. The kid can flat our 'rake'. He made huge strides from the season before, when he struck out 141 times in 545 at bats at Class A, reducing that total to just 27 k's in 637 plate appearances. He sacrificed a fair bit of power to focus on improving his pitch selection a year ago but I think he can hit 15 homers once he matures, although I believe he really projects to be an ideal lead-off man in the future with his above average foot speed.

One other name to keep an eye on is 21 year old lefthander Mike Murphy. Sources tell me a number of teams really liked the second overall draft pick the Cougars selected out of Brooklyn State this past December. The Brooklyn Kings, for one, have gone on record saying Murphy was their target in December had they not been able to secure the number one pick in the draft and, even after doing so, the Kings reportedly briefly considered the merits of selecting Morphy over Wilcox.

Speaking of Brooklyn, another player I have watched closely is an outfielder the Cougars snagged from the Kings a couple of years back. George Jordan is 23 years old now and 5 years removed from being a first round pick out of Sacramento High School. The centerfielder had a brief stint in Chicago last season after getting his first taste of AAA earlier in the summer. His rise through the minor leagues has been methodical but he has shown steady improvement each season. A good example is the start to his year at AA a season ago when, a year after hitting over .300 at Class A, he hit .337 in 52 AA games to earn the promotion to AAA. He might need another season of AAA but Jordan looks like he has tools to be a pretty good centerfielder.

Anyway I just wanted to poke my head in and thank the Cougars for some great insight on their team and wish them well in 1929.
Old 12-23-2019, 01:34 AM   #9
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the input! Starting with York, I absolutely love him. He absolutely rakes and I'm going to talk a lot about him once I get to his ranking (which I think is too low, but of course I'm biased towards my guys) and I really, really wanted him to start the year in Chicago, but I didn't want to kick anyone off my 40 yet and the numbers weren't where they were supposed to be. Murphy looks to have a good future as well, and he's going to fast track his way up the system. Most of my top pitchers are high school draftees and Murphy is more or less on the same developmental level. Another good thing with him is his consistency, as a lot of time the college guys will have one lesser year of their three, where his ERA+ were all 170 or higher if I remember correctly. I was hoping Jordan would win the job out of camp, but is Spring was really bad. I usually don't read much into it, but with stats only I've actually looked into the spring numbers more then ever. The glove is real nice too and he should find himself penciled back in the big league lineup sooner then later.

Last edited by ayaghmour2; 12-23-2019 at 02:23 AM.
Old 12-23-2019, 03:24 AM   #10
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Top Prospects: 11-20

SP Dean Astle (75th Overall)
Acquired: Via Draft: 9th Round, 131st Overall (1927)
Alma Mater: Berkley Bears (HS)

He starts a run of three consecutive prospects ranked 75, 76, and 77, although it's rather shocking to see Astle ranked this highly. The recent 9th Rounder suffered through an awful season with Class B San Jose. He was 7-13 with a 7.14 ERA (68 ERA+), 1.89 WHIP, and 91 walks with just 22 strikeouts. This doesn't really look like top prospect material, but OSA sees something in the 19-year-old that we can't. That's not to say he isn't talented, as he went 6-1 with a 2.35 ERA (226 ERA+), 1.15 WHIP, and 54 strikeouts in 65 innings his senior year of high school and a domiante sophomore season where he was 4-1 with a 1.91 ERA (232 ERA+), 0.86 WHIP, and 79 strikeouts in 80 innings pitched. He doesn't throw very hard, sitting in the mid to upper 80s, but he prefers his change-up to his cutter. He's an extreme groundballer as well, but his HR/9 rate spiked last season in San Jose. The addition of Class C will benefit Astle, as he'll look to regain form there for the time being. I'm hoping last season was just early career jitters, and the lefty can reach the lofty potential my scout and OSA sees.

SS Slim Bloom (76th Overall)
Acquired: Via Draft: 13th Round, 219th Overall (1923)
Alma Mater: New York HS Eagles

He might have been the hardest roster cut to make, and despite an excellent spring, I sent him down to Milwaukee to start the season as he's yet to reach AAA. Originally a third basemen, I decided to move him to short instead and he absolutely flourished. His +2.7 ZR at third (850.2 innings) pales in comparison to his +13.3 ZR at short (1,798.1 innings) including an impressive +10.2 in his first full season up the middle. Despite his dominance in the Spring (.392/.446/.529), he hit .311/.369/.407 (106 OPS+) with 9 steals and 69 RBI's in 112 games with the AA Mobile Commodores. This doesn't scream MLB ready, but he'll get his shot to prove himself a level up in Milwaukee. And while he "could be a decent contact hitter" he should "be penciled for a lion's share of starts" at the big league level. Bloom is the next man up when it comes to reserves in the minors, and he may hit his way in the lineup if Sanders/Simmons can't hold the short stop job. Already a steal for a late rounder, Bloom may not have star potential, but you can't build a team with only star players.

RF Vince York (77th Overall)
Acquired: Via Draft: 2nd Round, 25th Overall (1924)
Alma Mater: Wichita HS Jayhawks

If you saw Jiggs' comment before this post, then you know one thing about Vince York. This. Dude. Rakes. It's as simple as that. And to top things off, he hits from both sides of the plate. Sure, the AI in 1925 didn't let him start a single game despite being a 2nd Round Pick and sure he hit just .223 (albeit with 19 homers and 90 RBI's) in his first year as a starter, but once the calendar turned over to 1927, York decided that no minor league pitcher was going to get in his way. In 131 games with Class A Lincoln, he put his name back on the map, hitting .317/.348/.578 (148 OPS+) with 34 homers and 156 RBI's. 156!!! And while the power dropped off a bit last season (not sure if it's all A leagues, or just the Heartland League, but homers are much more prevalent there then any other level), he took to the promotion to AA as well as anyone could have even dreamed. In 527 plate appearances, he hit an insane .407/.449/.599 (177 OPS+) with 6 homers and 81 RBI's before getting promoted to AAA in September (the outfield situation was crowded with Fessell, Jordan, and Johnson all starting). He'll be back in Milwaukee to start the season after hitting .321/.345/.476 (137 OPS+) in his quick audition with the Blues. A right fielder by trade, we've worked him out in left with Johnny Johnson in right. Both aren't very good defenders, but York has prior experience in left while Johnson has never left right. He may not be like any of the other prospects in my system (or any in baseball for that matter), but the 22-year-old looks to be an absolute force on offense in the majors, especially with our super short lines and his pull hitting flyball tendencies.

CF George Jordan (97th Overall)
Acquired: Via Trade with Brooklyn (1926)
Drafted: 1st Round, 17th Overall by Brooklyn (1923)
Alma Mater: Sacramento HS Governors

In 1922, no high schooler had a better life then George Jordan. Not only did he hit .351/.426/.578 (200 OPS+) with 9 triples and 36 RBI's in 40 games, he was named HS MVP and won a championship for the Governors. While impossible to replicate that as a senior, Jordan hit a still impressive .354/.404/.551 with 4 homers, 18 steals, and 26 RBI's as a senior before the Brooklyn Kings selected the switch hitter 17th overall. We got him in the 1926 off-season for 2B Rocky Edwards and a 7th Round pick in one of the few trades that I can say I convincingly won. Even though Jordan has only tallied 49 major league at bats, Edwards went from a dependable starter who hit .308/.358/.385 with 35 steals and 55 RBI's in his final season in Chicago to a pitiful 8-for-45 run with the Kings before being sent down to the minors and eventually cast away. He's already bounced form Montreal to Philadelphia off waivers. Jordan has been inconsistent and a little of his prospect shine has clouded. With the Cougars he hit just .245/.309/.367 (82 OPS+) in 49 at bats and with the Blues he was at par at .247/.290/.340 (83 OPS+) in 312 at bats after a stronger showing with the Commodores. His defense really started to take off in Milwaukee, as his +6.1 ZR was the best of his career. Jordan has shown promise with the bat, but the soon to be 24 year old may have just been over-matched last season. He'll return to AAA to start the season and is stuck behind out "best" healthy player Bob McCarty. If Jordan starts to hit again, expect him or McCarty to end up in left with the other in center before the year ends.

SP Lou Gaffin (116th Overall)
Acquired: Via Minor League Free Agent Signing (1925)
Drafted: 15th Round, 230th Overall by Philadelphia (1922) and 14th Round, 224th Overall by Boston (1923)
Alma Mater: Pittsburgh HS Panthers and Holyoke HS Oaks

He took the long way to the 40-Man roster (protected before the last Rule-5 Draft) and was released instantly by both teams that drafted him. They may regret that, as even with a year off, Gaffin eventually caught on with the Cougars. As you may expect, he was awful after the year off, but he really started to find himself during the 1927 minor league season. He spent time at three levels last season, and did his best work with AA Mobile. He was 5-1 with a 2.70 ERA (155 ERA+) and 1.17 WHIP in 7 starts before getting the promotion to AAA Milwaukee. He more then held his own, going 6-5 with a 3.00 ERA (121 ERA+) and 1.21 WHIP in 14 starts with the Blues. He'll return to AAA with fellow top prospects Dick Kadlec and Ben Curtin.

SP Ben Curtin (141st Overall)
Acquired: Via Draft: 2nd Round, 34th Overall (1924)
Alma Mater: Omaha HS Plainsman

Curtin was initially selected by the Baltimore Clippers in the 3rd Round of the 1923 draft, but was then allowed to stay in HS for another season. In '23 he went 4-4 with a 1.75 ERA (257 ERA+), 0.96 WHIP, and 67 strikeouts before going 3-3 with a 1.71 ERA (250 ERA+), 1.10 WHIP, and 73 strikeouts his final season of high school. He was awful his first pro season, but bounced back in a big way in 1927. After 4 solid starts with Class B San Jose, he was excellent in 182.2 innings with the Legislators. He was 12-7 with a 2.22 ERA (204 ERA+), 1.16 WHIP, and 190 strikeouts while winning the 1927 Heartland League championship. He was bumped up to Mobile the next season, and he proved to be more then ready. He was 20-5 with a 2.84 ERA (148 ERA+), 1.28 WHIP, and 91 strikeouts in 269.2 innings with the Commodores. I added him to the 40-Man roster in the offseason to protect him from the Rule-5 Draft and he is expected to lead the rotation. He has a nice sinker with excellent downward movement which leads to a lot of groundouts and like Kadlec and Gaffin, might find himself in the Cougars rotation by the end of the year.

1B Jim Fisher (160th Overall)
Acquired: Via Minor League Free Agency (1925)
Alma Mater: Atlanta HS Peaches

Undrafted out of Atlanta HS, I actually signed Jim Fisher myself as we had to fill out our minor league rosters. Did I think he'd eventually be a top 200 prospect? No. But I did like that he hit .310/.369/.600 (155 OPS+) with 7 homers and 19 RBI's in 100 at bats as a senior. He hasn't been overly productive in three seasons with Class B San Jose, but the 21-year-old "projects to hit for a .350 batting average" which likely isn't going to come true. He has a little pop, but he's a huge liability in the field. I think he's ranked much higher then he should, as there are a bunch of prospects I would rank far ahead of him.

RP Ed Woodward (165th Overall)
Acquired: Via Draft: 15th Round, 245th Overall (1922)
Alma Mater: Milwaukee HS Maroons

I'm absolutely stunned that Woodward was a 15th Round Pick as he was instantly ranked the 88th best prospect and then 44th the following season. To top that off, his high school numbers are absolutely insane. In his career, he went 19-3 with a 1.75 ERA (253 ERA+), 0.93 WHIP, and 189 strikeouts in 226 innings and owns the 8th best HS ERA ever to go with the 5th most shutouts (5, and four guys are tied for first) and 3rd most (3, two tied at four) in a season. Now 26, Woodward has been above average at every minor league level since 1925 and he made his big league debut last season. It was rough, as he was shelled for 26 hits and 13 runs in 15.1 innings out of the pen. It was his first relief action since a really weird 1923 season with Lincoln where he went 6-29 with 15 saves with a 7.35 ERA and 1.78 WHIP to go with 106 walks and 153 strikeouts in 177.2 innings out of the pen. I've decided to convert him to a reliever full time, so he may end up reinventing himself as a full time reliever.

CF Mike Smith (178th Overall)
Acquired: Via Rule-5 Draft from Chicago
Drafted: 14th Round, 236th Overall by Brooklyn (1923) and 3rd Round, 46th Overall by Chicago (1924)
Alma Mater: Nashville HS Hawks and Pittsburgh HS Pipers

Our second of six rule 5 picks, Mike Smith came over from our crosstown rival Chiefs. The 23-year-old hit an impressive .339/.406/.506 (143 OPS+) in 354 at bats with 10 homers and 39 RBI's. And while he's not terrible in center, I expect him to eventually end up in a corner. My scout is a fan, praising his "smooth swing with quick hands" and "good pitch recognition" and he will more or less have infinite job security due to the power potential most of my outfield prospects lack. He may be a little overmatched at first, with so little upper minors experience, but he hit a nice .333/.467/.417 off the bench in the Spring.

LF Earl Johnson
Acquired: Via Draft: 12th Round, 180th Overall (1925)
Alma Mater: Chicago HS Wildcats

I love drafting guys out of Illinois schools (and they are 11-2 this year!) so Earl Johnson was an easy pick in the later rounds. He's not the greatest defender, but he hit 14 homers and drove in 92 runs back in 1927 with San Jose which put him on the prospect map. After dominating Lincoln in a quick 19 game stop, Johnson continued that run in the Dixie League with Mobile, hitting .353/.415/.517 (147 OPS+) with 3 homers and 53 RBI's in 410 plate appearances. While the power did drop off, he looks to have "above average power in the future" and "he could hit for a .360 batting average" which can make up for his middling play on the other side of the field. He'll return to AA as the AAA outfield is entirely accounted for, although a slump from lesser ranked prospect Johnny Johnson could push him up to Milwaukee and shift York back to right. I think Johnson has really found his stride, and he could turn a few more heads next season.

I'll finish the rest of the Top 30 prospects tomorrow!
Old 12-23-2019, 05:16 PM   #11
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Top Prospects: 21-30

The game re-adjusted the top prospects list and the only real change was Earl Johnson dropping to 21 and Mickey Williams being moved up to 20. I'll start with him:

SP Mickey Williams
Acquired: Via Draft: 5th Round, 67th Overall (1926)
Alma Mater: Costal California Dolphins
Despite a rough sophomore season, Williams rebounded to go 6-1 with a 2.36 ERA (187 ERA+), 1.16 WHIP, and 106 strikeouts in just under 100 innings pitched so we took a chance on the lefty. He has a "decent fastball" and is a "real worm killer" who bumped his velocity up in the 90s. He started his pro career in San Jose, and was brilliant, going 11-7 with a 2.82 ERA (157 ERA+) with a 1.13 WHIP and 229 strikeouts. The next season he got three quick starts with Lincoln before moving up quickly to AA Mobile. He looked to be ready, going 13-7 with a 3.60 ERA (16 ERA+) with a 1.48 WHIP, although the walks jumped and the strikeouts fell. He'll return to AA to start this season, and will likely finish the season with Milwaukee, if not Chicago.

SP Milt Nelson
Acquired: Via Trade with Brooklyn (1928)
Drafted: 12th Round, 195th Overall by Detroit (1922) and 4th Round, 54th Overall by Brooklyn (1925)
Alma Mater: Louisville HS Titans and Bayou State Cougars

When I traded Buzz Ham to the Kings for Milt Nelson and an 8th Round Pick, I had no idea Hamm would turn into the pitcher he did. He started well in the pen for us in 25 innings, working to a 2.16 ERA and I made the poor decision to move him instead of Vince DaCosta. I had no idea he would end up winning the ERA crown. My scout was never a fan of him (unlike Nelson) and still isn't, so I'm hoping Hamm was a one hit wonder and that Nelson's "electric stuff" and three good pitches turns into a solid rotation starter that I never thought Hamm would be. Nelson had a weird start to his career, getting drafted by the Dynamos and spending a season plus with them before being released and enrolling in Bayou State. He had a great "junior" year, going 4-2 with a 2.58 ERA (169 ERA+) with a 0.89 WHIP and 89 strikeouts in 69.2 innings before the Kings grabbed him in the 4th Round. Once coming over midseason, Nelson started 19 games with Lincoln, going 8-6 with a 3.67 ERA (110 ERA+), 1.29 WHIP, and 67 strikeouts. He's a little old for a prospect, almost 25, but Dick Lyons, are current ace, debuted at 26. Nelson will start the season at AA, but is likely to work his way up all the way to a September callup if he progresses well.

RF Ray Ross
Acquired: Via Minor League Free Agent (1928)
Drafted: 10th Round, 162nd Overall by Baltimore (1924)
Alma Mater: St. Pancras Lions

He really got a chance with Baltimore after being drafted, and they released him after 2 games. He eventually caught on with the New Orleans Showbaots, but was released once they lost independent status and became the AA affiliate of the Keystones. In three seasons with New Orleans, the now 26-year-old hit .268/.357/.390 (109 OPS+) with 24 homers, 42 steals, and 132 RBIs in 1,267 at bats with an impressive +20.2 ZR out in right. He'll start the season starting for AA Mobile, but Ross is very low in the pecking order. He's more filler then prospect, but he may open some eyes back in affiliated ball.

SP Fred Carter
Acquired: Via Minor League Free Agent (1926)
Drafted: 12th Round, 188th Overall by Montreal (1922) and 12th Round, 189th Overall by Cleveland (1924)
Alma Mater: Tulsa HS Tomcats, Rainier College Majestics, and the Frankford State Owls

He was drafted twice, almost at the exact same position, and was just released right after. He then transfered to Frankford State and went undrafted. He bounced a round (a lot) starting in 1926, when he was signed and released by the San Diego Conquistadors 7 times in 8 days and then 3 more times before the Showboats decided to released him 7 times in 8 days. It gets better! From May 22nd to July 26th, the Conquistadors and Showboats signed and released him EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Finally, I saved him on the 28th, and he's been with us every sense. He didn't really do much for us until last year, where he went 9-10 with 10 saves, a 3.12 ERA (129 ERA+), 1.21 WHIP, and 41 strikeouts in 141.1 innings split between the rotation and the pen. For now, he's set to start the season in the rotation in AA Mobile and I think I found my new favorite player, as my goal is for Fred Carter to make the Cougars staff (eventually) and never be released again. I'm hoping Carter becomes the best lefty of all time and dominates the FABL where his story will live on forever!

CF Erv Frith
Acquired: Via Minor League Free Agent (1925)
Alma Mater: Asheville HS Eagles

Undrafted out of Asheville HS, Erv Firth was one of the guys I signed to fill up Class B San Jose in their first year. A decent defender, last season was his first with any sort of playing time, as he hit .266/.322/.354 (84 OPS+) with 7 steals and 36 RBI's in 296 plate appearances. It wasn't a great showing, and he's likely not going to play much this season as well. I don't see much in him, and I'm surprised he's ranked in our top 30, especially over last years 3rd Overall Pick Harry Humphrey and this year's 2nd Overall Pick Mike Murphy. Both guys are ready for AAA (Humprey will start in AA, Murphy A since he was just drafted) and have much better numbers.

RF Ralph Collier
Acquired: Via Draft: 8th Round, 116th Overall (1925)
Alma Mater: Philadelphia HS Patriots

I think that at this point OSA is just picking random guys and I'm not sure what he brings to the table. In the past three seasons, he's barley had more then 100 at bats. There's not much to say on him, but my scout thinks he will be a .350 hitter and good defender, but one of his stats, even in HS, really support that.

CF Tom Thomas
Acquired: Via Minor League Free Agent (1925)
Alma Mater: Reading HS Reds

He took the Erv Firth route to the team as well, signing as a minor league filler guy for San Jose. He actually got playing time his first season in the minors, hitting .220/.298/.281 (75 OPS+) with a homer and 36 RBI's in just over 400 plate appearances. Since then, he's only tallied 68 at bats and still finds himself in San Jose. He's a solid defender at least, but there's not much here either.

SP Art Black
Acquired: Via Draft: 5th Round, 67th Overall (1927)
Alma Mater: Berkeley Bears

Selected with the exact same pick as Mickey Williams the year after Williams, him and a 9th Round Pick Dean Astle made up a formidable 1-2 punch with the Berkeley Bears as they dominated their division, finishing in first place with a 29-11 record. Black is a two pitch pitcher, but the pundits think that he can still start games because those pitches are so good. We pitched him out of the pen last season and he went 7-1 with 16 saves and 39 strikeouts in 83.1 innings with San Jose and Lincoln. "Burger" will be back in Lincoln and get his chance to show he deserves a spot in the rotation. He throws a hard cutter in the 91-93 range, and at just 19, he can continue to get that velocity up (it started at 83-85). If he adds a third pitch, maybe Black can push his way into the crowded future rotation picture.

CF Joe Davis
Acquired: Via Rule-5 Draft from Cleveland (1928)
Drafted: 11th Round, 173rd Overall (1922)
Alma Mater: Lynn HS Legends

I had the first pick of the Rule-5 Draft, and I guess shocked many by going with a hitter not a pitcher. I absolutely love the 24-year-old Davis who's strong spring saw him hit .417/.481/.625. An excellent defender in center, Davis will start to get more looks in the corners as well to get him into more games during the season. He split time last season in the Foresters organization with both AA and AAA. With Toledo (AA) he hit .309/.373/.493 (147 OPS+) and with Cincinnati (AAA) he hit .300/.376/.466 (124 OPS+) and combined for 9 homers, 14 steals, and 78 RBI's in 703 plate appearances. He looks ready for the majors and I think he's a lot better then OSA gives him credit for. Like Smith, he's almost a lock for keeping his roster spot all season.

SP Gus Cain
Acquired: Via Minor League Free Agent
Drafted: 10th Round, 159th Overall by Boston (1922) and 10th Round, 155th Overall by Toronto (1924)
Alma Mater: New Orleans HS Cavaliers, St. Patrick's Shamrocks, and George Fox Reds

Gus Cain may not have gotten the Fred Carter treatment, but both Boston and Toronto released him right after drafting him. He then went undrafted and signed with New York before they released him before pitching a game. He caught on in Chicago and has looked good in limited playing time. Last season with Mobile, he went 8-4 with a 2.65 ERA (165 ERA+), 1.10 WHIP, and 48 strikeouts in 98.1 innings in 11 starts and 5 relief appearances. I didn't think I needed to protect him in the Rule-5 Draft, but the Saints saw enough in him to give him a shot to win the job in Spring. After getting shelled for 4 runs off 6 hits and 2 walks in 3 innings against the Sailors, Cain was sent back to us where he'd return to Mobile to start the season. The lefty is an Illinois native (why I signed him in the first place) and the lefty generates his share of grounders. He's a sidewinder as well and I likely won't make the mistake of leaving him unprotected prior to the next Rule-5 Draft, assuming he doesn't fall apart.

That the end of our top prospect list! There's a lot of guys I don't agree with (especially at the end), but we still have a little time before gameplay. Not sure how many posts I'll make, but I definitely want to do a little draft recap of at least the 1928 Class. Even though we are almost guaranteed to finish in the cellar I'm super excited for this season and can't wait to see the progress all the young guys show!
Old 12-24-2019, 01:56 AM   #12
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

1928 Draft Recap

The Cougars picked 2nd in each of the 25 rounds, however, not all of the picks were made live. I will only give input on the players I actually selected.

1st Round, 2nd Overall: SP Mike Murphy
Alma Mater: Brooklyn State Bears

A lefty from Brooklyn State, Mike Murphy was not the guy I wanted to draft. That would have been Tommy Wilcox. But I wanted a pitcher, and I went with a "safe" pick in the college arm of Murphy. With the Bears, he went 14-13 with a 2.48 ERA (179 ERA+) and 1.17 WHIP with 274 strikeouts and 54 walks in 257.1 innings pitched in his three collegiate seasons. If it wasn't for back spasms his sophomore year, Muprhy would likely have had every single pitching record at Brooklyn State. He totaled ten 10 strikeout games and helped lead the Bears to a playoff appearance in his two full seasons. He'll start the season with the Legislators, but he's definitely on the fast track to the majors.

2nd Round, 18th Overall: SP Ike Quinn
Alma Mater: Somerville HS Generals

He sprained his elbow early in minor league camp, and likely won't pitch for the Class C LaCrosse Lions until May, but the 18-year-old has tremendous upside. A dominate senior season saw him go 5-4 with a 1.76 ERA (255 ERA+), 1.03 WHIP, and 126 strikeouts in 102.1 innings. He's a flyabll pitcher who doesn't throw very hard, but he stands at 6'4'' and can easily pickup velocity as he gets older. He has a nice four pitch arsenal and he use his offspeed pitches to rack up strikeouts. He's a high risk high reward pick, but if he can stay healthy I like his chances of pitching in a big league rotation.

3rd Round, 34th Overall: SP Johnny Walker
Alma Mater: Berkeley Bears

Berkeley has been almost a farm club for our system, producing pitchers such as Dean Astle, Art Black, and now Johnny Walker. He was dominant on the mound and at bat as a senior, going 3-4 with a 2.59 ERA (168 ERA+), 1.13 WHIP, and 136 strikeouts in 83.1 innings while hitting .410/.425/.410 (135 OPS+) in 40 plate appearances. His fastball sits in the low 90s and the lefty has a nice curve and change to go with it. He's done excellent in minor league camp, going 3-0 with a 1.88 ERA (213 ERA+), 1.17 WHIP, and 18 strikeouts in 24 innings. He seems to be further along then Quinn and he can be a top strikeout pitcher in the majors.

4th Round, 50th Overall: CF Buck Waldrop
Alma Mater: Hartford HS Blue Sox

After a trio of pitchers, I grabbed the improving defender in Buck Waldrop. As a senior, he hit .378/.446/.718 (210 OPS+) with 10 homers and 39 RBI's to go with a +3.1 ZR in center. He's got a ton of pop and great range, but he doesn't project to be a contact hitter. While still raw, Waldrop brings a nice change of pace to our current group as he offers the potential to hit 15-20 homers without having to sacrifice much defensively.

5th Round, 66th Overall: SS Larry Burns
Alma Mater: Brunswick Knights

Back to the college level as I went with a glove first shortstop. He's got a great arm and soft hands with solid foot speed. He did hit .405/.488/.544 (203 OPS+) as a senior, but this is not really the type of player he is. The 5.6 ZR+ he put up was extremely impressive as well, and that number has gotten better each season he was in college. He's done excellent in the Spring, however, hitting .358/.476/.403 in 86 plate appearances with the Lions.

6th Round, 82nd Overall: 1B Charlie Steele
Alma Mater: St. Pancras Lions

I generally avoid drafting first basemen, especially this high, but in a weak offensive class there wasn't a bat better then Charlie Steele. He only played his sophomore and junior seasons, but the righty slugger hit .375/.454/.667 (192 OPS+) with 26 homers and 76 RBI's in 421 plate appearances. He's actually a pretty decent defender at first too. He'll start his professional career in Class B San Jose and could progress up the ladder pretty quickly.

7th Round, 98th Overall: SP Lynn Albright
Alma Mater: Cumberland Explorers

I thought I was drafting Pat Albright. I was wrong. Pat was taken by the Gothams in the 2nd Round. Nothing to see here with Lynn...
Well, at least he's from Illinois...

8th Round, 114th Overall: CF Joe McPherson
Alma Mater: Cambridge HS Colonials

It was a down year at the plate for McPherson, but his career .322/.390/.434 line isn't too terrible and he's a solid defender out in center. He's got great speed and can actually play a littler bit of catcher too. I plan on getting him some reps in right field with the Lions as Waldrop has priority in center.

9th Round, 130th Overall: RP Herb Plummer
Alma Mater: Brooklyn State Bears

A teammate of 2nd Overall Pick Mike Murphy, the lefty bullpen arm rebounded from a rough sophomore season and went 10-2 with a 2.85 ERA (145 ERA+), 1.14 WHIP, and 97 strikeouts in 72.2 innings which is much more in line with his freshman year numbers. He's a sidearmer who throws a 90-92 MPH fastball with a curve and change. He'll head to San Jose to begin his professional career.

10th Round, 146th Overall: 2B Ed Thompson
Alma Mater: San Antonio HS Warriors

A teammate of last year's 6th Round pick and 57th Overall Prospect George DeForest, Ed Thompson had an excellent senior season that saw him hit .354/.408/.571 with 9 homers and 25 RBI's. He's not a no glove second basemen either, as he managed an impressive +5.6 ZR. He's got decent power and my scout is actually a big fan of his.

11th Round, 162nd Overall: SP Jim Dyer
Alma Mater: Liberty College Bells

Our scouts found Dyer when we were scouting his teammate and #1 overall pick Tommy Wilcox. The righty was definitely overshadowed, and after ERA+ of 157 and 158 his first two seasons, it fell down to 116 once he became draft eligible. He went 4-6 with a 3.47 ERA, 1.12 WHIP, and 87 strikeouts in 80.1 innings pitched. He's a flyball pitcher who throws in the mid 90s, but despite his three pitch mix, we plan to use him out of the bullpen, at least at first.

13th Round, 194th Overall: C Billy Wiseman
Alma Mater: Elmira HS Emeralds

Our twelfth round pick was also a catcher, C Doc Hinman, but he decided that he did not want to sign and instead enrolled at Wisconsin State. Wiseman then became the first catcher to join the team in this class and my scout thinks he might be a steal. He has great homer run potential and is expected to develop into a sure-handed and reliable catcher. The bat fell off his senior year, as he hit just .256/.322/.403 (99 OPS+) after far above average showings in the years prior. He's just 18, and has a lot of room to grow into a solid FABL starter.

14th Round, 210th Overall: SP Sam Bigras
Alma Mater: Indiana A&M Reapers

The last pick I made was the righty Sam Bigras. His junior year was the best of his college career as he finally secured a more full time rotation spot. He went 5-6 with a 2.70 ERA (149 ERA+), 1.13 WHIP, and 93 strikeouts in 110 innings pitched. He's actually set to start the season in San Jose and work out of the rotation for the Cougars. He sits around 90 MPH with his fastball, the best of his four pitches.

The rest of the picks are as follows:
15th Round: RP Eddie Simpson (released, no statistics)
16th Round: 3B Gordon Stroud
17th Round: C Tex Young
18th Round: 2B Billy Morgan
19th Round: 3B Sam Crum
20th Round: RF Curt Jeffery (released, 1-for-18 in HS, signed with AAA independent team Syracuse Excelsiors where they want him to start in RF...)
21st Round: RP Dick Brown
22nd Round: SS Tom Shaw
23rd Round: LF Jim Peterson (released, no statistics, signed with AA independent team San Antonio Gunslingers)
24th Round: 3B John Johnson
25th Round: SP Bud Butler (released, awful in his only college games in 1926, signed with the A independent team Terre Haute Brewers who plan to make him their ace. They actually play in the same league as the Lincoln Legislators so I can't wait to hit homer after homer off him)
Old 12-26-2019, 05:11 PM   #13
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 1: April 16th-April 21st

April 16th, 1929
Philadelphia Sailors (1-0): 5
Chicago Cougars (0-1): 1

W: Johnny Davis (1-0)
L: Dick Lyons (0-1)

Our home opener went as expected, with a loss, as we got the unenviable task of facing the defending champions while we were coming off a league worst finish. Dick Lyons allowed 5 runs in 7 innings with 10 hits, 3 walks, and 5 strikeouts while taking the loss. Rule-5 Pick Harry Simmons was the only Cougar with multiple hits, going 2-for-3 with a walk. Art Panko was 1-for-3 with a walk and RBI. Bob McCarty was 1-for-4 with a walk and run scored.

April 17th, 1929
Philadelphia Sailors (2-0): 9
Chicago Cougars (0-1): 4

W: Dan Waldman (1-0)
L: Vince DaCosta (0-1)

Yes, it's just one start, but it looks like we are going to get 1928 Vince DaCosta, not 1929 Vince DaCosta. He was shelled in this one, allowing 9 runs (8 earned) in 7.2 innings while allowing 14 hits. He walked 7 and struck out just 3. The bats came to play against a starter in Waldman who finished last season 19-8 with a 2.74 ERA. We had a big three run second which saw our first homer (Green), double (Sanders), and triple (McCarty). Green was 2-for-5 with a solo homer while McCarty was 2-for-4 with a walk and 2 RBI's. Harry Simmons had another strong game, going 2-for-3 with a walk and RBI out of the two spot. Tom Rogers got his first start of the season at first, going 2-for-3 with a walk and 2 runs scored.

April 18th, 1929
Philadelphia Sailors (2-1): 3
Chicago Cougars (1-2): 6

W: Johnny Douglas (1-0)
L: Rollie Beal (0-1)
SV: Charlie O'Hare (1)

First win of the season! Harry Simmons lead the charge, going 3-for-5 with a steal and pair of RBI's. Bob McCarty added another triple and was 1-for-4 with a run scored and driven in. John Dibblee got his first hit of the season, going 1-for-4 with a double, walk, and run scored. Gary Sanders went 1-for-2 with a walk and run scored. Mack Deal was 1-for-3 with a walk, steal, and run scored. On the mound, Johnny Douglas was okay, going 5.1 innings with 6 hits, 3 runs, 6 walks, and 2 strikeouts. Ace McSherry did it on both sides, tossing 3 shutout innings allowing just a hit and walk with 3 strikeouts. He also hit an RBI double in his only at bat. He couldn't finish the 9th, however, as Charlie O'Hare allowed a hit and got the final two outs to pick up the save.

April 19th, 1929
Philadelphia Sailors (3-1): 10
Chicago Cougars (1-3): 4

W: William Jones (1-0)
L: Babe Wilder (0-1)

Just like that we were back in the loss column, and as expected, the Sailors cruised in this four game series. The pitching was bad all game, starting with Babe Wilder, who allowed 5 runs and 8 hits with 7 walks in 5.1 innings. He did strike out 6, which is really good, but that was the only bright spot. O'Hare allowed 2 more in 2.2 innings with 4 hits, a walk, and a strikeout. McSherry, who probably shouldn't have pitched today, allowed 3 runs off 5 hits and a walk in the 9th. I would have much rather seen Lincoln in this game. We managed 8 hits today, with three hitters coming home with a pair. John Dibblee was 2-for-2 with a walk and run scored before Tom Rogers replaced him in the 6th as a defensive replacement. Dick Fessell, who was ice cold, heated up and went 2-for-3 with a steal and run scored. Gary Sanders was 2-for-4 with a double, steal, RBI, and run scored. Art Panko was 1-for-3 with a hit by pitch and RBI.

April 20th, 1929
Toronto Wolves (1-4): 6
Chicago Cougars (2-3): 11

W: Cotton Taylor (1-0)
L: Birdie Smith (0-2)

In a battle of baseball's two worst teams last year, we managed to start the four game series with a nice 11-6 win over the Toronto Wolves. Cotton Taylor wasn't perfect, but went 7.1 innings with 11 hits, 6 runs (5 earned), 3 walks, and 4 strikeouts to earn the win in his first start of the season. The offense had easily their best game of the season (and likely for the rest of the year) as we put up 15 hits. Dick Fessell was a perfect 3-for-3 with a double, run scored, 2 walks, and 4 RBI's. Bob McCarty launched his first homer of the year and went 2-for-6 with a pair of runs scored. Gary Sanders went 3-for-5 with 4 RBI's. John Dibblee went 3-for-4 with a walk and run scored. Art Panko was 2-for-3 with a walk and two runs scored.

April 21st, 1929
Toronto Wolves (2-4): 3
Chicago Cougars (2-4): 1

W: Bert Flores (1-0)
L: Charlie O'Hare (0-1)

Tied at 1 in the 9th, Charlie O'Hare allowed a pair of runs as the Wolves took a late 3-1 lead. Bert Flores stifled us as he did most of the game, and the Wolves evened the series up with a win in the second of four games. O'Hare pitched 2.2 innings with 1 hit, 3 walks, 2 runs, and a strikeout. Dick Lyons pitched fine, going 6.1 innings with 9 hits, a run, 2 walks, and 5 strikeouts. The top four in the lineup (McCarty, Simmons, Dibblee, and Panko) recorded 8 of our 9 hits. Simmons had the best showing, going 3-for-5 with a run scored. Panko was 2-for-3 with a walk and RBI.

Stars of the Week: I'll pull these straight from the sim recaps to include an unbiased ranking of our best players for the week:

Harry Simmons : 25 AB, 11 H, 0 HR, 4 RBI, .440 AVG, .963 OPS
Bob McCarty : 27 AB, 9 H, 1 HR, 5 RBI, .333 AVG, .993 OPS
Gary Sanders : 23 AB, 8 H, 0 HR, 5 RBI, .348 AVG, .810 OPS

Looking Ahead: We'll finish our homestand with two more against the Wolves before hitting the road. We'll be in Philadelphia where we likely get swept by the Sailors (4-2) in a four game set before starting a four game series with the Foresters (4-2) in Cleveland. Our first off day is not until May 5th and after the Toronto series, out next home game is the 17th. It's going to be a rough patch of games as we likely won't see many wins the rest of the month. Our best chance is the next two games against the Wolves.

Injury Report: We stayed healthy this week! Bill Ashbaugh could be back in Chicago next week if his injury heals as planned. It says one week remaining, but I don't want to bring him back early and risk damaging our cornerstone player in games we likely don't have much of a chance in.

Minor League Report: The minor league seasons all start this week. I don't plan on covering these too in depth, but I will try to highlight star performances and give an idea of their records.

Amateur Report: I do a lot of College and High School scouting, and my shortlists are filled with multiple youngsters who I think may or may not be future stars. I know it's hard to sort through the thousands of filler players that populate these leagues, so I'll include some standouts performances of the guys I've been following as well.

CF George Pumphrey (Chicago Poly Panthers): On April 16th, the draft eligible Junior launched 3 homers in a 13-0 domination over the Wisconsin State Brewers. The slugging center fielder is hitting .330/.411/.585 (151 OPS+) with 7 homers, 7 steals, and 19 RBI's in 107 plate appearances this season. In his three year career, he owns a .353/.432/.517 line with 11 homers, 21 steals, and 47 RBI's across 403 trips to the plate.

2B Jake Shadoan (Liberty College Bells): On April 17th, the draft eligible Junior went 5-for-5 in a 10-8 Liberty win over the Brooklyn State Bears. It's been a great season for the versatile Shadoan, who's blossomed into one of the best hitters in the AIAA. He's slashing .402/.467/.663 (193 OPS+) with 7 homers, 7 steals, and 12 RBI's. Shadoan has experience at first, second, third, short, center, and right, but Liberty prefers to keep him at the keystone. In his three year career, he's hitting .355/.403/.592 with 29 homers, 25 steals, and 110 RBI's in 559 plate appearances. He also came home with this week's AIAA Player of the Week after hitting .632 with 2 homers and 5 RBI's.

SP Jake DeYoung (Reading HS Reds): On April 20th, the 16-year-old DeYoung had his way with the New York HS Eagles, tossing a 3-hit shutout as the Reds pulled away with a 1-0 victory. He struck out 10 and didn't walk a single batter. In his first season, he's 1-2 in 5 starts with a 1.80 ERA (190 ERA+), 0.91 WHIP, and 33 strikeouts to just 2 walks in 35 innings pitched. The lefty has a lot of time before he can be considered a draft prospect, but the start to his journey has gone well.

LF Ed Reyes (Atlanta HS Peaches): The same day DeYoung was shutting out the Eagles, Peaches LF Ed Reyes went 5-for-6 in a 12-8 win over the Lynn HS Legends. Like DeYoung, Reyes is also in his first HS season, and the lefty is slashing .458/.511/.602 (218 OPS+) with a homer and 11 RBI's in just under 100 plate appearances. Scouts haven't seen much in him yet, but if he hits like this, there's no reason he won't jump up draft lists.

SP Rocky Williams (Frankford State Owls): The Owls may be dead last in the New England Collegiate Division, but you wouldn't know that based off of how freshman Rocky Williams has been pitching. In 37 innings, he owns an impressive 1.95 ERA (246 ERA+) and 1.11 WHIP with 51 strikeouts. The Owls haven't given him much run support, as he's just 1-2, but he's part of a trio of three freshman (Joe Tillman and John Cordiero) with ERA's below 2.80 in their rotation. The offense is dead last in the Northeastern League, but with that young rotation, they may work their way up once all three of these guys are Juniors.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:51 PM   #14
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 2: April 22nd-April 28th

April 22nd, 1929
Toronto Wolves (3-4): 5
Chicago Cougars (2-5): 4

W: Willie Couillard (1-0)
L: Vince DaCosta (0-2)

We tried really hard to come back in this one, but our 3-run 9th fell just short. DaCosta didn't do terrible, allowing 5 runs (4 earned) with 12 hits, a walk, and 3 strikeouts in a complete game. Gary Sanders continued his hot start, going 2-for-2 with a walk, sac-bunt, run scored, and RBI. Rule-5 Pick Mike Smith had a clutch pinch-hit two run triple in the 9th before scoring the third run of the inning. Bob McCarty was 2-for-4 with a walk and RBI. Mack Deal was 1-for-3 with a walk and he scored twice.

April 23rd, 1929
Toronto Wolves (4-4): 11
Chicago Cougars (2-6): 2

W: Don Cannaday (1-1)
L: Johnny Douglas (1-1)

Well, this game was depressing... I really though we could win this series, or at least split, but the Wolves weren't having it. Douglas was pitiful, allowing 15 hits and 10 runs with 3 walks and just 1 strikeout in 6 innings. He hit much better, going 1-for-2 with a run scored. Clyde Lincoln was much better, tossing 3 mop up innings with 2 hits, a run, and strikeout. Joe Davis got the start in left, going 2-for-3 with a double and run scored. Art Panko was 2-for-4 with an RBI.

April 24th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (2-7): 3
Philadelphia Sailors (6-2): 6

W: William Jones (2-0)
L: Babe Wilder (0-2)

The skid stretched to four after we lost our first road game 6-3. Babe Wilder had another subpar start, going 7.1 innings with 11 hits, 6 runs, 2 walks, and 3 strikeouts. John Dibblee was 2-for-4 with a double and run scored. Art Panko was 2-for-3 with a sac-bunt, run scored, and two driven in. Barney Green was 2-for-4 with a double and RBI.

April 25th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (3-7): 5
Philadelphia Sailors (6-3): 4

W: Dick Lyons (1-1)
L: Johnny Davis (1-2)
SV: Ace McSherry (1)

Our first road win came quicker then our first home win! And again, it happened against the defending champions! We managed to take the 5-4 lead in the 9th after Harry Simmons doubled home the pinch hitter Mike Smith with two outs.Simmons finished the game 1-for-4 with a walk. Dick Lyons got his first win of the season with a real good start. He went 8 innings with 7 hits, 4 runs (3 earned), 2 walks, and a strikeout. Ace McSherry got his first career save, allowing just 1 hit in a scoreless 9th. John Dibblee went 2-for-4 with a triple, walk, RBI, and 2 runs scored while playing both first and left. Bob McCarty was 2-for-5 with a run scored. Art Panko was 1-for-3 with a run, RBI, and hit by pitch.

April 26th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (3-8): 4
Philadelphia Sailors (7-3): 5

W: Maurice Demby (1-0)
L: Charlie O'Hare (0-2)

The Sailors flipped the script on us and took this one 5-4. You can blame it on Charlie O'Hare, who walked 5 and allowed 2 runs and 2 hits in his 2 innings after Cotton Taylor. Taylor walked 5 and struck out 5 in 6 innings. He allowed 4 runs and 3 hits in the no decision. He also wen 1-for-2 at the plate with a two bagger. John Dibblee went 2-for-3 with a sac bunt, run scored, and driven in. Art Panko was 1-for-4 with a run scored and two run double. Bob McCarty was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored.

April 27th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (3-9): 2
Philadelphia Sailors (8-3): 4

W: Dan Waldman (3-0)
L: Vince DaCosta (0-3)
SV: Oscar Morse (1)

The Sailors came away with the series after a close Saturday game. DaCosta went all 8, allowing 11 hits, 4 runs, and 3 walks with just 2 strikeouts. He went 1-for-3 at the plate with a run scored. John Dibblee went 2-for-5 with an RBI. Bob McCarty was 1-for-2 with a steal, two walks, and a sac-bunt. Barney Green was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored.

April 28th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (4-9): 11
Cleveland Foresters (6-6): 7

W: Clyde Lincoln (1-0)
L: Dick Dover (2-2)

After Johnny Douglas allowed 5 in the 6th (he did suffer a mild hamstring strain) we scored 2 in the 7th, 1 in the 8th, and 3 more in the 9th to take the opener in Cleveland against a struggling Foresters team. Douglas was good until the 6th, where most of his 14 hits and 7 runs (6 earned) happened. He walked 2 and struck out 3. Clyde Lincoln was brilliant, tossing 3 nearly perfect innings with a walk and a strikeout. The waiver claim now has a 1.23 ERA and 0.68 WHIP in 7.1 innings. Art Panko was 2-for-5 with 2 triples, 2 runs, and 3 RBI's. John Dibblee was 3-for-5 with 3 runs and an RBI. Harry Simmons was 2-for-5 with a triple and 2 runs scored. Gary Sanders was 2-for-4 with a double, walk, and 2 RBI's. Mack Deal was 2-for-5 with a double, RBI, and two runs scored. Dick Fessel was 2-for-5 with a run scored and two driven in.

Stars of the Week

Art Panko : 28 AB, 10 H, 0 HR, 10 RBI, .357 AVG, .951 OPS
John Dibblee : 29 AB, 11 H, 0 HR, 5 RBI, .379 AVG, .902 OPS
Mack Deal : 26 AB, 9 H, 0 HR, 2 RBI, .346 AVG, .777 OPS

Looking Ahead: We'll play six games this week before an off day on Sunday. Three will finish the Foresters (6-6) series and the other three will be in New York against the Stars (6-7). The off day was likely a rain out in real life (we base our schedules off the MLB schedules) as we have a fourth game against the Stars on the 6th. We already sit 4.5 games behind the Sailors who have a 1 game lead over Baltimore.

Transactions: Andy Chastian and Roy Evans both cleared waivers and will head to AAA Milwaukee. LHP Bill Kutz signed a minor league contract with a $3,300 option and will head to AAA Milwaukee. The lefty pitched with AAA Portland last season, going 11-4 with 18 saves in 154.1 innings out of the pen. He had a solid 2.74 ERA (124 ERA+) and 1.22 WHIP with 89 strikeouts and 38 walks. His numbers the two seasons prior in AAA were much worse, but my scout is a big fan of his. We also claimed 30-year-old righty Joe Foley off waivers from the Chicago Chiefs. A Chicago native, Foley has two options remaining and really solid career numbers. In 852.1 career innings (including a league leading 315.2 innings in 1926), he's 55-39 with a 3.91 ERA (110 ERA+), 1.52 WHIP, and 198 strikeouts. He does walk a ton of batters, including a league best (worst?) 155 in 1926, however, he did start 46 games. He will join the rotation and is expected to start our next game.

Injury Report: Bill Ashbaugh isn't healthy, and his return is now listed as unknown. He will hopefully be back after tomorrow's sim, as his power is really missed in the lineup. We have a total of 2(!) home runs to start the season. As mentioned, Johnny Douglas left his start with a hamstring strain, and will head to the DL. Lincoln Lefty Elmer Wood will hit the DL with mild shoulder inflammation that will keep him out for two weeks. La Crosse 2B Bill Rose will miss five weeks with a fractured wrist.

Minor League Report: Milwaukee started off a quick 3-0 while Mobile (2-2), Lincoln (1-2), and San Jose (1-2) did not have as great of starts. La Crosse is a solid 4-2 to begin the inaugural season in the Upper Mississippi Valley Association.

SP George DeForest (B San Jose Cougars): His stay in LaCrosse was short (I wanted him to pitch in the Spring and then forgot to promote him), but it included a 6-hit and 9 strikeout shutout of the Waterloo Chiefs. In his two starts, he went 1-1 with a 2.65 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, and 21 strikeouts in 17 innings.

SP Heinie Bretz (B San Jose Cougars): In his first start of the season, the righty tossed an 8 hit shutout the day before his 21st birthday. He struck out 4 in a nice 7-0 win over the Vancouver Mounties.

LF Earl Johnson (AA Mobile Commodores): Starting last season, Earl Johnson extended his hit streak to 22 games with his quick start at the plate. In 4 games for Mobile, he's 6-for-15 with 3 walks and 5 RBI's. In 89 games with Mobile last season, he hit .353/.415/.517 (147 OPS+) with 3 homers and 53 RBI's, as the 21-year-old looks to force his way into the outfield pitcher.

Amateur Report:

1B Ed Jordan (Rainier College Majestics): The best hitter on the best team in the AIAA, the draft eligible junior went 5-for-6 in a 12-1 domination over the Travis College Bucks. The Majestics are an impressive 22-5, and while their rotation carries the tam, Jordan gives their weak offense a much needed boost. In 107 at bats, the lefty is hitting .318/.422/.908 (135 OPS+) with 4 homers and 19 RBI's. He's a little of a late bloomer, as he didn't play much as a freshman and while he was decent last year (114 OPS+) he really took the next step this season.

RF Sam Brown (Pierpont Purple): The freshman has taken the league by storm, as he's started his professional career with a 27 game hit streak that earned him the most recent Player of the Week in the Northeastern conference. He's hitting an impressive .382/.429/.673 (186 OPS+) with 9 homers and 25 RBI's. The lefty has a really solid contact power mix and a disciplined approach at the plate that will lead to a lot of walks, although it's not like anyone wants to pitch to him anyways. He's brought relevance back to Pierpont, as they're 16-11 and just 1 game out of first in the Academia Alliance.

RF Bobby Many (Whitney College Engineers): He's done everything he can to prove that he deserves to be taken in the first round, as the lefty slugger Bobby Many is hitting an insane .434/.532/.909 (244 OPS+) with 13 homers and 54 RBI's in just 27 games for Whitney College. A teammate of a recent 1st Round Pick of ours Harry Humphrey, he's just 2 homers away from the single season Engineers home run record and he just passed Rufe Mason (53) for their single season RBI record. The AIAA RBI record is definitely in reach, as he needs just 68 to break current Everett Eagles (B) 1B Wally Cox 1927 record. He's on pace to shatter it with 100. He doesn't even have the best average on his team, as freshman 2B Al Haynes is hitting .461. He was named Continental Region Player of the Week as well, hitting .455 with 5 homers and 17 RBI's.

SP Fred Collins (Henry Hudson Explorers): As a Freshman last season, Collins had his struggles, but he looks to have taken a giant step forward this season. After a 3-hit shutout of the Sadler Bluecoats, he improved to 5-3 on the season with a 2.56 ERA (189 ERA+) and 1.15 WHIP in 63.1 innings for the Explorers. A groundballer, Collins has a high 80s cutter with a curve, slider, and change. ERA estimators haven't been a big fan of his (4.85 FIP, 100 FIP-), as his K/9 has dropped from 8.6 to 2.7. Even then, Collins is definitely a name to keep an eye on.

SP Don Esposito (Chicago HS Wildcats): There are very few pitchers in high school who will throw two complete game shutouts in their career. But, the Chicago HS freshman from Mount Prospect Don Esposito already has two this season, including his most recent against the San Francisco HS Navigators. Esposito has been nearly perfect for the first place Wildcats, going 6-0 with a 1.24 ERA (264 ERA+), 0.73 WHIP, and 29 strikeouts in 51 innings. It's probably a little too early to declare him a future star, but the Cougars organization is definitely keeping close tabs on the youngster.

SP Harvey Childers (San Francisco HS Navigators): Even though his team may have been outplayed by the Wildcats, they have a dominate pitcher of their own in the southpaw Childers. The Navigators also lead their division, and Childers' performance has aided that. He's 3-0 with a 1.42 ERA (226 ERA+) and 1.11 WHIP in 31.2 innings. The senior may have been even better last season, going 4-4 with a 1.75 ERA (244 ERA+), 1.06 WHIP, and 84 strikeouts in 67 innings. Childers will be draft eligible this off-season, and he seems likely to be drafted in towards the beginning of the draft.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:43 PM   #15
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 3: April 29th-May 5th

April 29th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (4-10): 1
Cleveland Foresters (7-6): 16

W: Max Wilder (1-1)
L: Joe Foley (0-1)

Well... At least this game ended? Joe Foley made his first start on the North Side, and it could not have gone any worse. He allowed 10 hits and 9 runs in 5 innings with 4 walks and just 1 strikeout. Clyde Lincoln, who did well up until today, allowing 8 hits and 7 runs in 1.2 innings. He walked 2 and struck out just 1. We only had 4 total hits. Dick Fessel had half of them, going 2-for-3 with a run scored.

April 30th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (4-11): 1
Cleveland Foresters (8-6): 5

W: Jim Wilson (2-0)
L: Babe Wilder (0-3)

And the offensive force continues! Another game with just a single run as the Foresters took the series lead with this win. Mack Deal and Joe Davis were both 2-for-4 in this one. Wilder had the last hit, going 1-for-3. He did have his best start of the season too, going 8 innings with 8 hits, 5 runs (3 earned), 4 walks, and 2 strikeouts.

May 1st, 1929
Chicago Cougars (4-12): 1
Cleveland Foresters (9-6): 4

W: Bob Lawrence (2-2)
L: Dick Lyons (1-2)

Three straight losses. Three runs total. It was disappointing to say the least, however, at least it was not a sweep. Mack Deal had another good game, 2-for-4 with a double and RBI. Harry Simmons was 1-for-4 with a run scored. On the mound, Dick Lyons had a good start, 7 innings with 7 hits, 4 runs (2 earned), 2 walks, and 2 strikeouts. Not much else to report on in this game.

May 2nd, 1929
Chicago Cougars (5-12): 7
New York Stars (8-8): 6

W: Clyde Lincoln (2-0)
L: Earl Slater (0-1)
SV: Ace McSherry (2)

WE SCORED RUNS!!! It was a nail-biter and we managed to get to their bullpen, scoring 2 in the top of the 9th before Ace McSherry shut the door in the 9th. He walked just 1 en route to the save. Cotton Taylor got the start and was alright, 7 innings with 9 hits, 6 runs (3 earned), and 5 strikeouts. The only downfall was his 7 walks. He was also 1-for-2 at the plate with a walk and run scored. Dick Fessel went 2-for-3 with 2 walks, a triple, run scored, and RBI. John Dibblee was 2-for-5 with a pair of runs scored. Harry Simmons was 1-for-5, but he doubled home two and scored a run. Art Panko was 1-for-4 with a triple, walk, and run scored. Barney Green hit a pinch-hit solo homer in the 9th with two outs.

May 3rd, 1929
Chicago Cougars (5-13): 2
New York Stars (9-8): 5

W: Mutt Pharr (2-2)
L: Vince DaCosta (0-4)

The Stars evened up the series with the win here. DaCosta continued his quest for 32 losses, allowing 10 hits and 5 runs (4 earned) with 4 walks and a strikeout in 8 innings. Bob McCarty went 2-for-5. Mack Deal was 1-for-3 with a double, sac-bunt, and RBI. Gary Sanders was 1-for-3 with a double, walk, and RBI.

May 4th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (6-13): 12
New York Stars (9-9): 5

W: Clyde Lincoln (3-0)
L: Del Plummer (2-1)

Even with the off day tomorrow, we didn't win the series with this 12-5 victory since we play the Stars a fourth time on Monday. Joe Foley got the start, allowing 3 hits, 4 runs, and 4 walks with a strikeout before leaving with shoulder tendinitis with 2 outs in the 5th. Clyde Lincoln pitched the rest of the game, allowing 6 hits and 1 run with a strikeout in 4.1 innings as he improved to 3-0 on the season. The offense nearly scored more runs today then all week, lead by a 4 hit performance from Art Panko. He doubled and scored in 6 at bats. George Sanders was 3-for-4 with 2 runs, 2 RBI's, and his first homer on the season. Harry Simmons was 3-for-5 with a double, run scored, and 5 driven in. Mike Smith came off the bench and was a perfect 3-for-3 with 3 runs, a double, and RBI. Bob McCarty was 3-for-4 with a triple, walk, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's.

Stars of the Week
Mack Deal : 22 AB, 8 H, 0 HR, 3 RBI, .364 AVG, .818 OPS
Harry Simmons : 21 AB, 7 H, 0 HR, 7 RBI, .333 AVG, .792 OPS
Dick Fessel : 16 AB, 6 H, 0 HR, 2 RBI, .375 AVG, .974 OPS

Looking Ahead: We finish our series with the Stars where we can win our first series of the year. We then continue our long road trip with three in Brooklyn (10-10) and three in Montreal (10-9). We have yet to play the Kings or the Saints this season. We our in 8th, 6.5 games behind the Sailors (12-6) in the Continental Association.

Injury Report: Bill Ashbaugh is still not healthy, and I am really worried about this. A 2 week injury has turned into an almost month long recovery. We lost two pitchers as well, with Joe Foley's shoulder tendinitis and Charlie O'Hare's rotator cuff strain. Foley will likely miss 2 weeks and O'Hare 3 weeks. Johnny Douglas will return to the roster and take Foley's vacated rotation spot. Ike Quinn will make his season debut in LaCrosse as he's now fully recovered. Down in Lincoln, 2B Red Cowell will miss 1-2 weeks with blurred vision.

Transactions: To replace O'Hare on the active roster, I called up Ed Woodward from AAA Milwaukee. He's allowed 3 hits, 2 runs, 2 walks, and struck out 1 in 6 innings out of the pen.

Minor League Report:

SP Heinie Bretz (A Lincoln Legislators): Just 3 starts were all Bretz needed to earn the promotion to Lincoln. He worked to a 2.25 ERA (207 ERA+) and 1.25 WHIP with 5 walks and 7 strikeouts in 24 innings. As long as he doesn't show too much struggles with the Legislators, he's very unlikely to return to San Jose.

SS Clyde Hinzman (A Lincoln Legislators): It was a strong week for the glove first Hinzman as he was named Heartland Player of the Week. He went 13-for-27 with a home run and 5 RBI's to take home the award. It's been a nice start to the season for the almost 22 year old, as he's hit .405/.476/.568 (179 OPS+) in 10 games. The Rabbit Forrest experiment at short hasn't started too well (-4.2 ZR in 8 games), so Hinzman may find himself in AA before May ends.

LF Earl Johnson (AA Mobile Commodores): His hit streak was ended at 25 by the New Orleans Showboats, but after two hitless games he responded with 3 and 4 in the two following. He's now hitting .367/.426/.551 (155 OPS+) with 1 homer, 2 steals, and 10 RBI's in 11 games with the Commodores.

1B Luke Nixon (AAA Milwaukee Blues): Despite skipping AA as a whole, Luke Nixon has shown that he didn't need to spend any time in Mobile. He was recently named Player of the Week after going 14-for-28 with a home run and 5 RBI's. It actually lowered his season line, as he's hitting .524/.588/.786 (248 OPS+) with 1 homer and 12 RBI's in 51 trips to the plate. With John Dibblee set at first, there's no easy way for Nixon to get playing tmie in the majors, however, if Dibblee shows signs of fatigue I can platoon the righty Nixon with him. It will be hard to move a legend like him to the bench, but Nixon definitely needs more then just 10 games in the upper minors before getting the call to the show.

Amateur Report:

SP Tom Blalock (Chicago Poly Panthers): Not too far from North Side Grounds, there's a pitcher who actually does a good job of not allowing runs. Blalock, a draft eligible junior, is building off an elite sophomore year (303 ERA+), going 5-1 with a 1.57 ERA (304 ERA+), 0.81 WHIP, and 62 strikeouts in 51.2 innings. He's been a big reason why the Panthers are a division best 20-11, and Blalock is pushing to make a case for himself to be the #1 pick in the draft. I still prefer Tom Barrell to him, but whatever team selects him is going to be very lucky.

SP Chick Stout (Rainier College Majestics): He was recently named Continental Pitcher of the Month, and the almost 21-year-old Chick Stout has been a perfect 8-0 with a 1.09 ERA (430 ERA+), 0.70 WHIP, and 97 strikeouts in 74.1 innings. He was decent his first two seasons (254 ERA+, 167 ERA+), but the two-way righty has picked the perfect time to breakout. Rainier College has been the best team in the league, going 26-6 with a 5 game lead over Lubbock State. Stout is an extreme groundballer who sits in the low 90s with a dominant sinker. He's not the best hitter out there, but he can play a little second, third, left, center, and right. Like Blalock, he's doing his part to take the #1 spot in the draft.

SP Tom Barrell (Georgia Baptist Gators): In a 5-0 shutout over the Cumberland Explorers, the brother of Cougar farmhand Fred Barrell, the righty struck out 11 and allowed just 4 hits while also going 2-for-4 with an RBI. It's been a great season all around for the senior, who's 6-2 with a 2.13 ERA (224 ERA+), 0.82 WHIP, and 103 strikeouts in 76 innings. He's also hitting .357/.431/.591 (158 OPS+) with 7 homers and 30 RBI's as a first basemen. The scouts loves Barrell (maybe because his dad is one of them?) and his velocity has reached the high 90s. He looks like a future ace and cleanup hitter and is the early favorite to be taken #1 overall by whichever CA team has the worst record.

RF Vic Crawford (Commonwealth Catholic Knights): Since enrolling at Commonwealth Catholic, all the Honolulu native has done is hit. He's upped his current hit streak to 20 after a 4-for-5 showing with 2 homers and 6 RBI's in a 10-7 win over Frankford State. He's now upped his batting line to .366/.448/.992 (261 OPS+) with 21 homers and 56 RBI's in 123 at bats for the Knights. One of the hitters in the league, he's also a plus fielder and has had a positive zone rating each season in right. He's a powerful right handed slugger with a lot of potential in his bat. The consistency Crawford's show his whole career makes him look like a lock to be a high selection as his "worst" season saw him record a 205 OPS+.

SP Ike Joyal (Wilkes-Barre HS Warriors): The Sophomore righty known as "Farmer" Ike Joyal has built off an excellent 1928 season as the Warriors find themselves in first place. Joyal is 4-1 with a 0.76 ERA (445 ERA+), 0.70 WHIP, and 72 strikeouts in 47.1 innings pitched. He throws four pitches, headlined with an excellent forkball. He doesn't throw too hard, but at just 16, he's got a lot of time to grow into his 6'1'' frame (only 165 lbs) and increase his velocity. It's a little early to consider him a draft prospect, but two solid seasons give him a good chance to be a higher round selection.

SP Bud Hastings (Pittsburgh HS Pipers): It's the first season for the sophomore out of Vegas, and he's had a good start so far. He may be 1-3, but he has a nice 2.38 ERA (142 ERA+) and 0.91 WHIP with 51 strikeouts in 53 innings for the Pipers. The best of his three pitches is his cutter, but his secondary offerings need a little work. He's a high ceiling, low floor kind of guy who already sits at the top of the Pittsburgh rotation.

3B Buddy Kircher (Elmira HS Emeralds): After spending the past two seasons as a full time third basemen, the almost 18-year-old has started to pitch and while his offense has tanked, he's excelled on the mound. After hitting .363/.452/.592 (152 OPS+) and .333/.373/.683 (185 OPS+) with 19 homers and 59 RBI's, he's dropped down to .174/.229/.233 (36 OPS+) with just 1 homer and 14 RBI's. In 7 starts, however, he's 4-2 with a 1.50 ERA (220 ERA+), 1.15 WHIP, and 25 strikeouts in 48 innings. This makes his draft stock really interesting, as his future could now be in the rotation of the lineup.

SS Phil Barber (Cleveland HS Barons): In his first season with the Barons, the now 16-year-old Phil Barber is having a great season. He's hitting .370/.427/.474 (158 OPS+) with 14 steals and 23 RBI's atop the Cleveland HS Barons lineup. Cleveland is now stuck in a three way tie with Chicago and Cincinnati and just 1 game above St. Louis and 2 above Toledo in a crowded Midwestern division. He's not the only star on his team, as SP Austin Vance, also a first year player, is 4-1 with a 1.33 ERA (253 ERA+), 0.91 WHIP, and 55 strikeouts in 54 innings. The groundballer throws five decent pitches headlined by a "nifty" slider. He throws in the mid 80s now, but a velocity boost is likely for the righty.

CF Bill May (Greensboro HS Giants): One of the best outfielders in the HS circuits, the lefty Bill May can do it from both sides of the field. As a hitter, he's hitting .445/.480/.577 (216 OPS+) with 13 steals and 23 RBI's and in the field he's earned an impressive +6.6 ZR in center, unheard of in first year players. He's got blinding speed which helps him run down nearly any ball hit in his vicinity and he sprays line drives all around the field. He's tiny, just 145 pounds, but he's got time to grow and polish his raw talent as he attempts to blossom into an FABL draft prospect.
Old 01-02-2020, 12:43 PM   #16
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 4: May 6th-May 12th

May 6th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (6-14): 2
New York Stars (10-9): 5

W: Phil English (4-0)
L: Dick Lyons (1-3)
SV: Earl Slater (5)

We'll have to wait another series for our first series win of the year, as former Cougar farmhand Phil English continues his outstanding season (4-0, 1.69 ERA) as the Stars take the finale 5-2. Dick Lyons pitched okay, 7 innings with 9 hits, 5 runs (3 earned), and 4 walks. Barney Green, our only source of power, was 2-for-4 with a solo homer, his 3rd of the season. Mack Deal was 2-for-4. Joe Davis was 1-for-3 with a walk and RBI.

May 7th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (7-15): 9
Brooklyn Kings (11-12): 3

W: Johnny Douglas (2-1)
L: Leon Thompson (3-2)

Our first series in Brooklyn started out as well as we could have imagined with a 9-3 win over the host Kings. Johnny Douglas went the distance, allowing 9 hits, 3 runs, 2 walks, and a strikeout in his second win of the season. Harry Simmons lead our offensive rout, going 4-for-5 with 3 doubles and 2 runs scored. John Dibblee was 3-for-5 with 2 doubles, 3 runs, and 3 RBI's. Art Panko was 3-for-5 with 2 runs scored and driven in. Dick Fessel was 2-for-5 with a double, run scored, and two runs driven in. Mack Deal was 1-for-4 with a double and a walk.

May 8th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (7-14): 1
Brooklyn Kings (10-12): 4

W: Jim Langley (2-3)
L: Cotton Taylor (1-1)

The Kings evened the series up with a solid start from the youngster Jim Langley. Cotton Taylor went 7 with 9 hits, 4 runs (2 earned), 2 walks, and 4 strikeouts in an effective start. The offense from yesterday disappeared (like it usually does), with Gary Sanders' 2-for-3 the only multi-hit game. He doubled and drove in a run. Tom Rogers was 1-for-4 with a double. Bob McCarty was 1-for-3 with a run scored.

May 9th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (8-15): 10
Brooklyn Kings (11-14): 6

W: Vince DaCosta (1-4)
L: Art Roe (2-2)

Our first series win of the year! And the first appearance in the win column for Vince DaCosta! We managed to outscore the Kings in a 10-6 shootout as DaCosta pitched a complete game. It wasn't pretty, 12 hits, 6 runs, and 6 walks, but we managed to pull away with a clutch 3 runs 9th to give him a little room for error in the bottom half. Rule-5 Pick Joe Davis was a perfect 5-for-5 with 3 triples, a double, 2 runs, and 2 RBI's. Bob McCarty was 3-for-4 with a double, walk, run scored, and RBI. Tom Rogers was 2-for-5 with a double, run scored, and 2 RBI's. Mack Deal was 2-for-5 with a double, 2 runs, and an RBI. Barney Green was 2-for-4 with a walk, run scored, and RBI. DaCosta was 2-for-4 with a run scored and RBI.

May 10th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (8-16): 2
Montreal Saints(14-10): 3
14 Innings

W: Leo Hall (4-0)
L: Ed Woodward (0-1)

We were north of the border in Montreal to start a three game set with the Saints. It was our first extra inning game on the season, which saw Saints starter Leo Hall pitch all 14 innings and a walk-off single by 3B Mel Almasy after we intentionally walked superstar 22-year-old Cliff Moss. On our side, Babe Wilder went 9 innings with 9 hits, a run, 3 walks, and 2 strikeouts. Ace McSherry went 2 innings with 2 hits, a run, and a strikeout. Ed Woodward, who was charged with the loss, went 2.2 innings with 2 hits, a run, and 2 walks. John Dibblee was 2-for-5 with a triple, walk, and 2 runs driven in.Bob McCarty was 2-for-4 with a walk. Mack Deal was 2-for-6.

May 11th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (9-16): 1
Montreal Saints(14-11): 0

W: Dick Lyons (2-3)
L: Harvey Rodgers (3-2)

It was almost another extra inning game, but after we got an unearned run in the 4th, Dick Lyons made sure that the Saints did not score. He tossed a complete game shutout, allowing 9 hits and a walk with 2 strikeouts. It's still early, but Lyons has been excellent this season, working to a 2.84 ERA (158 ERA+) and 1.47 WHIP in 44.1 innings thusfar. Bob McCarty went 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles. Art Panko was 2-for-3 with a sac-bunt. Barney Green was 1-for-3 with an RBI and sac-bunt.

May 12th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (9-17):3
Montreal Saints(15-11): 7

W: Charlie Stedman (5-1)
L: Cotton Taylor (1-2)

We couldn't come away with the rubber match, as the Saints topped us 7-3 in the finale. Taylor had a rough start, lasting just 5.1 innings with 9 hits, 7 runs, 5 walks, and a strikeout. Ed Woodward looked good, 2.2 innings with a walk and strikeout. Gary Sanders was 1-for-2 with a walk, double, and 2 runs scored. Bob McCarty was 1-for-4 with a double and run scored. Joe Davis was 1-for-3 with a walk and 2 RBI's.

Stars of the Week
J. Davis : 16 AB, 7 H, 0 HR, 5 RBI, .438 AVG, 1.375 OPS
B. McCarty : 27 AB, 10 H, 0 HR, 1 RBI, .370 AVG, .989 OPS
H. Simmons : 18 AB, 7 H, 0 HR, 0 RBI, .389 AVG, 1.061 OPS

Looking Ahead: One more road series in Baltimore (10-15) against the Cannons before we get an off day and return home. They are 1.5 games ahead of us for 7th in the CA. We then have a quick two game series with the Foresters (14-11) before starting a three game series with the first place Sailors (15-9). Philadelphia is 7 games ahead of us, but just half a game in front of the surprise Toronto Wolves (16-11) and one game above the Saints (15-11).

Injury Report: HE'S FINALLY BACK!!! Superstar Bill Ashbaugh is healthy, and will return to the big league roster. He'll bat fourth and man second, sending Gary Sanders (.250/.301/.344, 58 OPS+, 1 HR, 12 RBI) to the bench as Harry Simmons (.370/.416/.478, 120 OPS+, 12 RBI) has easily been our best player so far. Lincoln will get LHP Elmer Wood back from the DL, and no player in our organization got hurt this week!

Transactions: Ben Hathaway, who more or less hasn't played all season (0-for-3) was sent to Milwaukee to make room for Ashbaugh.

Minor League Report
C Fred Barrell (AAA Milwaukee Blues): In his first taste of Century League action, the 23-year-old backstop has impressed in 15 games, hitting .400/.448/.500 (144 OPS+) with 12 RBI's in 60 at bats. With Barney Green's struggles in the majors (.202/.262/.340, 47 OPS+), another strong week for Fred will earn him a callup to the Cougars. Currently the 22nd ranked prospect in all of baseball and #1 ranked catching prospect, Barrell's debut will be highly anticipated.

SP Gus Cain (AA Mobile Commodores): We were lucky to get him back in the Rule-5 Draft after the Sailors selected him, and Cain has impressed in his three starts so far. He's 1-1 with a 2.10 ERA (197 ERA+), 1.03 WHIP, and he's struck out 12 in 30 innings. We're looking to get Cain consistent playing time, something he hasn't in the past, as you can never have too much depth in the rotation. He's getting older, 26 in October, but as the younger guys in AAA get the call up, Cain will be one of the first from Mobile to advance to Milwaukee.

RF Howard Moss (B San Jose Cougars): A 4th Round Pick back in 1927, Howard Moss has had a strong start to 1929 after a great 1928. He's hitting .410/.451/.541 (146 OPS+) with a homer and 9 RBI's for the Cougars before earning the call up to Lincoln. He struggled there last season, but it's obvious that Class B is not enough of a challenge as he dominated there last season as well. Moss has loads of power and is playable out in right, but he's stuck behind a lot of quality outfielders in our system. For now he's an after though, but if he continues to hit like he is, he's going to force his way into our plans.

SP Sam Bigras (C La Crosse Lions): A 14th Round Pick in the most recent draft, Bigras has been amazing with the Lions. He's a perfect 3-0 with a 1.13 ERA (305 ERA+), 1.13 WHIP, and 20 strikeouts in 24 innings pitched. He's walking too many batters (11), but this could come with his inexperience. He throws hard too, sitting in the low 90s with a decent fastball. "Twinkletoes" has a long road ahead of him if he want to build his way into our plans, but you can never have too much pitching in your system.

Amateur Report
3B Al Murphy (Liberty College Bells): A draft eligible junior for the New England division leaders (Tied with St. Patrick's), Al Murphy isn't even in the top 3 in his own lineup. That doesn't take away from the fact that he's hitting .333/.436/.574 (163 OPS+) with 9 homers and 27 RBI'sin 26 games for Liberty College. Murphy, unlike most college players, has been extremely consistent, with OPS+ of 160 and 171 in his freshman and sophomore seasons. His career line of .338/.413/.581 (165 OPS+) to go with 29 homers and 107 RBI's should secure him a selection towards the top of the draft, although maybe not in the first three rounds. His defense at the hot corner isn't great, and he's spent more time at first this season where he will likely end up.

RF Joe Jones (Liberty College Bells): Jones is one of those three Bells hitters better then Murphy, and the Junior has really broken out this season, hitting .404/.480/.747 (217 OPS+) with 14 homers and 44 RBI's. His career .318/.395/.555 (153 OPS+) line is being pushed up by his Junior year as the last two seasons he hit below his career totals. He does have 33 homers and 119 RBI's, but Jones isn't the best defender out in right. Even if his contact strides this season are a fluke, the power has always been there, and being on a dominant college team like Liberty is sure to boost Jones' draft stock. I think he might be the better draft prospect then Murphy, but expect Jones' big Junior year to lead him being drafted earlier then he should.

SP Jim Green (St. Matthew's College Senators): After covering a pair of draft eligible players, we switch to Jim Green, a freshman pitcher out of St. Matthew's College. It's been a great year for the California native, as he's gone 4-2 with a 2.38 ERA (200 ERA+), 1.19 WHIP, and 90 strikeouts in 72 innings for the Senators. Green is a groundballer with a cutter, slider, change, and forkball, with the slider as a great strikeout pitch. He stands 6 feet tall and sits in the 85-87 MPH range with the cut, and with his youth this number can continue to increase. His team does sit in last place, so Green is likely to fall under the radar with most scouts.

LF Cotton Riley (Buffalo HS Bison): It hasn't been the best senior season for Riley, however, he's fresh off a player of the week where he hit .519 with 5 RBI's to take home the award. He hasn't hit any homers this season, but he's hitting .319/.376/.429 (131 OPS+) with 15 RBI's for the Bison. His career .328/.382/.458 (122 OPS+) line doesn't scream future FABL superstar, but Riley is committed to going pro and will even sign with us if we draft him. In a stats only league like ours, late round picks are extremely important and Riley is a consistent one who can help you on offense and defense. He's a base stealing threat and a great defender in left and is shaping up to be a solid lead off hitter.

SP Dave Smith (Somerville HS Generals): It may be Dave Smith's first taste of amateur ball, but he's not pitching like it. The 16-year-old is a perfect 7-0 with a 1.98 ERA (169 ERA+), 1.04 WHIP, and 56 strikeouts in 63.2 innings pitched. He's far away from the draft, however he's already 6'4'' and weights just 170 pounds. Expect him to add velocity as he gets older and jump up draft boards if he continues this pace.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:07 PM   #17
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 5: May 13th-May 19th

May 13th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (9-18):4
Baltimore Cannons (11-15): 9

W: Ken Carpenter (3-3)
L: Johnny Douglas (2-2)

Another rough start for the formerly dominant Johnny Douglas has his ERA has now ballooned to nearly 8 on the season. He allowed 11 hits, 8 runs (7 earned), and 2 walks with just 1 strikeout. He was better at the plate, going 1-for-2 with a walk. Mike Smith was 2-for-4 with 2 triples, a run scored, and two driven in. Mack Deal was 3-for-4 with a run scored. Dick Fessel was 2-for-5 with a run scored and driven in.

May 14th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (9-19): 7
Baltimore Cannons (12-15): 8

W: Lee Drouillard (1-1)
L: Clyde Lincoln (3-1)

We let this one get away from us after we scored 4 in the 8th to take a 7-6 lead. Clyde Lincoln instantly gave the lead back up, and the Cannons had a sweep set up for tomorrow. DaCosta got the start, 6 innings with 8 hits, 6 runs, 4 walks, and 2 strikeouts. Lincoln allowed 2 hits, 2 runs, and 3 walks in his 2 innings. Mack Deal was star of today's game, going 3-for-3 with a walk, steal, homer, and 5 RBI's. Art Panko was 3-for-5 with a steal and run scored. Dick Fessel was 2-for-4 with 2 steals, 3 runs, 2 RBI's, and a sac-fly. Bill Ashbaugh was 2-for-5 with a double, steal, and run scored. Harry Simmons was 2-for-5.

May 15th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (9-20): 2
Baltimore Cannons (13-15): 3

W: Bob Miller (3-3)
L: Ace McSherry (0-1)

We did very little to support ace Dick Lyons in this one, with single runs coming in the 7th and 8th. The Cannons walked-off the sweep with a John Wilder single off McSherry. He allowed 3 hits in his 1.1 innings of work. Lyons went 7 innings with 10 hits, 2 runs, a walk, and a strikeout. At the plate, Dick Fessel and Harry Simmons were both 1-for-2 with a walk, steal, and run scored. Mack Deal was 2-for-3. Bob McCarty was 2-for-4 with an RBI. We have an off day tomorrow before finally returning home.

May 17th, 1929
Cleveland Foresters (16-13): 11
Chicago Cougars (10-20): 12

W: Ed Woodward (1-1)
L: Mose Smith (0-1)

Talk about a crazy one! The game was just 3-2 after 5, but they scored 3 in the 7th and 5 in the 8th while we scored 2 in the 6th, 3 in the 7th, 2 in the 8th, and 3 to walk it off in the 9th. In just his fourth game off the DL, Bill Ashbaugh was the walk-off hero, driving in Harry Simmons with a single to finish a crazy back and forth game. He went 3-for-5 with 2 runs and 3 RBI's. He wasn't the star of the game, however, as John Dibblee gave the Cougar loyal's a vintage performance, 5-for-6 with a double, 3 runs scored, and 2 driven in. Harry Simmons was 3-for-5 and he scored 4 times. Art Panko was 3-for-4 with a run scored. Barney Green was 2-for-5 with a double and 3 RBI's. Dick Fessel was 2-for-3 with 2 walks, a triple, run scored, and driven in. Bob McCarty was 2-for-6 with a run scored. On the mound, Babe Wilder went 7 innings with 12 hits, 6 runs (5 earned), 2 walks, and 2 strikeouts. Ace McSherry allowed 5 runs in 0.2 innings, but only 1 of those was earned. He walked 2 and allowed 4 hits. Woodward, who got the win, went 1.1 innings with a walk and a pair of strikeouts.

May 18th, 1929
Cleveland Foresters (17-13): 3
Chicago Cougars (10-21): 0

W: Bob Lawrence (5-2)
L: Cotton Taylor (1-3)

The final game of this quick two game set ended much differently, as Foresters ace Bob Lawrence proved to be far too much for us. He didn't strike out a batter, but tossed a 5-hit, 3-walk shutout as the Foresters left Chicago with a split. Cotton Taylor pitched well for us, going 8 innings with 7 hits, 3 runs (1 earned), 3 walks, and 2 strikeouts. We didn't have a multi-hit game, but Art Panko and Harry Simmons were both 1-for-3 with a walk.

May 19th, 1929
Philadelphia Sailors (20-11): 9
Chicago Cougars (10-22): 7
10 Innings

W: Oscar Morse (1-0)
L: Ace McSherry (0-2)

We played the first place Sailors well, and even had the lead (6-5) entering the 9th before they tied it up. A two run homer by CF David Merchant aided the three run 10th that proved to be insurmountable. We managed a single run in the bottom half, but we dropped the first of three. McSherry allowed 3 runs off 3 hits in 2 innings with a walk and a strikeout. Johnny Douglas went 8 with 13 hits, 6 runs, 4 walks, and 2 strikeouts as he continues a rough start to his season. Bill Ashbaugh went 3-for-4 with a double and three run homer, the first of hopefully many this season. Bob McCarty was 3-for-6 with a run scored and two driven in. John Dibblee was 2-for-3 with a sac-bunt, hit by pitch, run scored, and run driven in. Douglas was 2-for-4 with a double and 2 runs scored. Harry Simmons was 2-for-6 with a run scored.

Stars of the Week
Mack Deal : 22 AB, 11 H, 1 HR, 6 RBI, .500 AVG, 1.158 OPS
Bill Ashbaugh : 25 AB, 9 H, 1 HR, 6 RBI, .360 AVG, .930 OPS
John Dibblee : 25 AB, 10 H, 0 HR, 3 RBI, .400 AVG, .863 OPS

Looking Ahead: We finish our three game series with the first place Sailors (20-11) before another off day. We'll then travel up to Toronto for three with the Wolves (18-16) before heading back home to host the Foresters (17-14) for a single game (likely a make up day in real life). Already 10.5 games out of first, we hold a 3 game lead on the Cannons for the 1st Overall Pick. Unlike last season where there was a clear #1 Overall Pick, I am really unsure of who to take this season. There is a lot of talent in the first round (also unlike last year) so I really wish we were better this season.

As the pennant races start to develop, we do have the opportunity to try to move players. There aren't too many interesting targets, however, RF Art Panko (.319/.383/.414, 106 OPS+) and CF Bob McCarty (.323/.379/.457, 117 OPS+) could garner significant interest. A rough week from Fred Barrell in AAA could give C Barney Green (3 HR, 12 RBI) a chance to boost his value, although he hasn't hit much (40 OPS+) this year. Dick Lyons is the only starter who has done much of anything on the mound, but Vince DaCosta and Johnny Douglas are solid rebound candidates and Babe Wilder could be a filler starter for a team facing injuries.

Injury Report: Joe Foley is now healthy and will begin a rehab assignment in Milwaukee. He has options left, so he may return there after his rehab assignment concludes, but with an off day coming up we don't need a full rotation. A Lincoln will get 2B Red Cowell back. B San Jose will be without SP John Peterson for 1-2 weeks with a tired arm.

Transactions: Nothing this week. I wanted to call Barrell up, but he went 5-for-21 in his last 5 games. This gives Barney Green another week to fight for his roster spot.

Minor League Report:

RF Johnny Johnson (AAA Milwaukee Blues): All this guy does is hit, and he's recorded at least one in all 23 games for the Blues this season. He's slashing .390/.422/.500 (134 OPS+) with a homer and 13 RBI's in 109 trips to the plate. The former 4th Rounder checks in at only 28th in our top prospect list, but this is just his second season with legitimate playing time. If Art Panko is on his way out of the big league club, Johnson is one of the top candidates to receive the call to the bigs.

LF Curt Ross (A Lincoln Legislators): The 21-year-old went cycling in a 6-4 loss to Peoria on the 16th, and the former 10th Round pick has really shined when given playing time. He's hitting .344/.404/.522 (141 OPS+) with a homer, 4 steals, and 9 RBI's in 104 trips to the plate with the Legislators. A right fielder by trait, Ross has shifted over to left to see if he has the range needed to play the other corner. He's extremely fast on the base paths and is a plus contact hitter. A lefty hitter and thrower, Ross does not rank in our top 30 prospect list.

SP Sam Bigras (C La Crosse Lions): Another dominant performance from the recent 14th Rounder as he tossed a 3-hit shutout with 7 strikeouts and 2 walks as the Lions dominated the Rock Island Steamboats 16-0. He's a perfect 4-0 with a 0.82 ERA (416 ERA+!), 0.97 WHIP, and 27 strikeouts in 33 innings for La Crosse. There are openings in the San Jose rotation, so with a few more starts under his belt he can find himself with top prospect George DeForest and the Cougars.

Amateur Report:

RF Sam Brown (Pierpont Purple): His hit streak may have been ended at 33 after a 5-0 loss to the Grafton Scholars, but he responded with a 2 hit, 3 hit, and another 2 hit game to raise his season line to .418/.465/.712 (209 OPS+) with 13 homers and 27 RBI's. The freshman has really taken the league by storm and seems like a way too early front-runner for the top pick in the 1931 draft. He's a disciplined hitter who profiles as a future .330 hitter with above-average power. He doesn't run too well and he'll find a corner his future defensive home, although he does have the arm for right and passable range.

LF John Collins (Liberty College Bells): It was a big day for Collins, as he was 5-for-6 in a 15-1 domination of the Brooklyn State Bears. A draft eligible junior, Collins is hitting .364/.444/.765 (213 OPS+) with 16 homers and 61 RBI's in what can be considered a down year for the first place Bells. As a sophomore, the slugger hit .404/.482/.772 (250 OPS+) with 17 homers and 49 RBI's and his career .380/.470/.759 (226 OPS+) batting line screams future FABL star. He has 53 homers and 159 RBI's with an 11.0 WAR in three seasons with the Bells, all school records. He's also their all time run (146) and total bases leader (420).

LF Ron Wilson (St. Matthew's College Senators): Despite finding themselves in the gutter, the draft eligible junior Ron Wilson has hit .397/.472/.609 (177 OPS+) with 8 homers and 30 RBI's as he sees his draft stock trend up. A strong freshman year put him on the map, as he hit .402/.459/.631 with 8 homers, 8 steals, and 53 RBI's. Wilson can man all three outfield positions, but his future likely resides in a corner. He's speedy on the bases and in the field, but there are questions about his power translating to the majors. He will always hit for a high average and he can draw his share of walks.

C Clem Bliss (Syracuse HS Stars): Bliss won't be eligible for this years draft, however, he has a great chance to be one of the first prep catchers taken. In his second season in the starting lineup, he finished the year with an impressive .387/.500/.570 (209 OPS+) line with 3 homers and 21 RBI's. The switch hitter is impressive at the plate, but he's been excellent behind the dish, throwing out nearly half of the attempted base stealers. And if CERA is your thing, he has an impressive 2.95 for the playoff bound Stars.

CF Paddy Smith (Wilkes-Barre HS Warriors): In his first season manning center, the Warriors finished 26-14, good for first place in their division. They will prepare for the playoffs with Smith, who hit .410/.481/.665 (228 OPS+) with 2 homers and 35 RBI's in 185 trips to the plate. The lefty swinger will likely grow into his power, as the 15-year-old is still very small (145 pounds). He's developing as a defender, but he has at least two more years of high school to figure things out.

SP Hank Beard (Cincinnati HS Tigers): It was a strong first season for the Tigers Ace Hank Beard, as he led them to a postseason appearance. He was 4-2 with a 1.33 ERA (246 ERA+), 0.86 WHIP, and 66 strikeouts in 67.2 innings. Not eligible for the draft until 1931, Beard could still have another growth spurt as he sits at 5'9''. This could lead to a boost in velocity as he currently hovers in the 85-87 MPH range with his fastball. He got a lot of strikeouts with his curve-ball and he didn't allow a single home run all season.

SS George Dawson (Knoxville HS Knights): He did almost everything he could to boost his draft stock as George Dawson finished his final season with the Knights hitting .447/.484/.594 (220 OPS+) with 9 steals and 34 RBI's. While the power completely fell off, as he didn't add to his 12 career homers, he'll finish his High School career a .385/.443/.562 (179 OPS+) with 24 steals and 86 RBI's. An excellent defender, he finished with a +25.9 ZR, including an impressive +14.1 this season. He has great speed and is projected to be one of the best defensive shortstops in the game, but scouts aren't too sure if his bat will translate to the professional game. Signability concerns may see his draft stock fall, but whichever organization ends up with him will get a promising young ball player.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:31 PM   #18
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 6: May 20th-May 26th

May 20th, 1929
Philadelphia Sailors (21-11): 18
Chicago Cougars (10-23): 4

W: Rollie Beal (2-3)
L: Vince DaCosta (1-5)

We almost didn't have to show up to this one. Sailors Superstar Tom Taylor had his way all game, going 4-for-5 with a walk, 4 runs, 4 RBI's, and his 14th homer on the season. DaCosta was shelled, 5 innings that contained 13 hits, 10 runs (8 earned), 2 walks, and just 1 strikeout. Clyde Lincoln was even worse, 8 runs and 7 hits in just 2.2 innings. He matched DaCosta's strikeout and walk totals as well. Bill Ashbaugh was 1-for-3 with a solo homer. Mack Deal was 1-for-4 with a steal, run scored, and RBI. Art Panko was 1-for-4 with a steal and run scored.

May 21st, 1929
Philadelphia Sailors (21-12): 4
Chicago Cougars (11-23): 6

W: Dick Lyons (3-3)
L: William Jones (4-2)

We avoided the sweep with a 6-4 win lead by Dick Lyons. He pitched the whole game, allowing 9 hits, 4 runs (3 earned), and 2 walks. Barney Green started his campaign to stay in the majors, going 3-for-4 with a double and 4 RBI's. Art Panko was 2-for-3 with a triple, run scored, and two driven in. Bill Ashbaugh was 1-for-3 with a walk and two runs scored.

We got the next day off, but would use it to travel up to Toronto for a three game set with the Wolves.

May 23rd, 1929
Chicago Cougars (11-24): 2
Toronto Wolves (20-17): 3

W: Bert Flores (4-5)
L: Cotton Taylor (1-4)

We might have left the bats in Chicago too, as Bert Flores kept us under control all game. Cotton Taylor gave a valiant effort on the mound, working for 7 innings with 6 hits, 3 runs (2 earned), 5 walks, and 3 strikeouts. John Dibblee was 3-for-4 with a double, steal, run scored, and driven in. Barney Green was 2-for-3 with a walk.

May 24th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (12-24): 3
Toronto Wolves (20-18): 2

W: Babe Wilder (1-3)
L: Don Cannaday (4-3)

We flipped the score on the Wolves and somehow won a game without Dick Lyons pitching. The offense wasn't very effective, but Babe Wilder made it easier on them. He allowed just 2 unearned runs and 6 hits in a complete game. He walked and struck out just one batter in his first win on the season. Bob McCarty was 2-for-4 with a double, run scored, and two driven in. Dick Fessel was 2-for-3 with an RBI. Mack Deal was 1-for-4 with a steal and run scored.

May 25th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (13-24): 11
Toronto Wolves (20-19): 6

W: Johnny Douglas (3-2)
L: Willie Couillard (5-1)
SV: Ace McSherry (3)

WE WON OUR FIRST SERIES OF THE SEASON! We scored 6 runs in the last two innings of the game to leave Canada with out first series win of the season. Johnny Douglas might be the luckiest 3 win pitcher in the league, as he allowed 13 hits and 6 runs (5 earned) in 7 innings. He struck out and walked two. Ace McSherry took home the save, allowing a hit and a walk with three strikeouts in 2 innings to finish the game. Veteran John Dibblee brought us another vintage performance, 4-for-5 with a triple, run scored, and 3 RBI's. Bob McCarty was 3-for-5 with 2 doubles, walk, 3 runs, and an RBI. Dick Fessel was 3-for-5 with 2 runs and an RBI. Mack Deal was 2-for-5 with a double, run scored, and RBI. Barney Green was 2-for-5 with a run scored and RBI. Douglas was 1-for-3 with 2 runs, a sac-bunt, and RBI.

May 25th, 1929
Cleveland Foresters (20-17): 9
Chicago Cougars (13-25): 6

W: Jm Wilson (6-1)
L: Vince DaCosta (1-6)

Another poor start for Vince DaCosta as he allowed 9 runs on 14 hits in 7.2 innings. He walked and struck out 3. He's pitched himself out of the rotation (more on that later) as we have better options available in AAA and he won't end up with any trade value (at least as a starter). At the plate, Barney Green (who was hitting himself out of a job) went 2-for-4 with a double, homer, and 3 RBI's. Bill Ashbaugh was 2-for-4 with a homer, 2 runs scored, and 2 driven in. If it wasn't for Green's homer today, he'd be tied for the team lead and he's played in 12 of our 38 games this season. Art Panko and Bob McCarty were 1-for-4 with a run scored.

Stars of the Week
Barney Green : 23 AB, 10 H, 1 HR, 8 RBI, .435 AVG, 1.132 OPS
Bob McCarty : 24 AB, 9 H, 0 HR, 3 RBI, .375 AVG, 1.069 OPS
John Dibblee : 22 AB, 8 H, 0 HR, 5 RBI, .364 AVG, .917 OPS

Looking Ahead
Despite hosting the Foresters (20-17) on Sunday, we'll travel with them to Cleveland for two more. We then head to Philadelphia (24-13) for three games in two days with the Sailors. We return home after the Thursday double headers to begin a four game series with the Saints (22-16) who find themselves 2.5 games behind the Sailors for first in the Continental Association.

The debut of Fred Barrell will wait at least one more week as he went just 2-for-22 with 2 walks and 2 RBI's in six games. Barney Green, on the other hand, reached base every game, hit a homer, and drove in 8 runs. Barrell's OPS+ is just 94, which makes me think he still isn't quite big league ready.

There has been interest in Johnny Douglas as we officially started testing the waters on his market. I'm hoping Babe Wilder (1-3, 3.94 ERA (116 ERA+) can continue his start to the season and hopefully show he deserves to pitch for a contender. Art Panko (.309/.368/.403, 19 RBI) hasn't had an above average offensive season, but if he performs consistently who could fetch a moderate return. I have guys in AAA I want to bring up, so I'm okay with moving the 30-year-old veteran.

Injury Report
The rehab assignment for Joe Foley did not go as planned, and he'll head back on the DL with elbow tendinitis. He's expected to miss 2 to 3 more weeks. Charlie O'Hare, who we used out of the pen to start the season, will be worked out of the rotation in Milwaukee. I'm changing the pitching staff a little and depending on how some of the younger guys pitch, O'Hare may be needed to eat innings. We were also fortunate to stay healthy in the minors.

Transactions
I designated RHP Clyde Lincoln for assignment. We claimed him off waivers from Montreal in April, but despite his 3-1 record, he's been absolutely awful. He has a 7.89 ERA (58 ERA+) and 1.66 WHIP with 8 walks and 9 strikeouts in 21.2 innings. At just 26, he may get claimed, but I have more then enough young guys that I like significantly better. One of those, Dick Kadlec, was called up to replace him. He made his FABL debut last season, and was great in 6 starts with the Blues to start the season. He was 4-2 with a 2.92 ERA (140 ERA+), 1.28 WHIP, and 29 strikeouts in 52.1 innings. Kadlec will replace DaCosta in the rotation, pushing the former starter to a long relief role. Kadlec is currently ranked as the 56th best prospect in baseball. I'm hoping he's done with AAA baseball forever, and he can solidify the rotation behind Dick Lyons.

Minor League Report

SP Art Black (A Lincoln Legislators): Despite starting every game except one in his high school career, most thought that with his two pitches he'd end up in the bullpen for sure. He did solid in that roll last season, as his 2.82 ERA (172 ERA+) in 54.1 innings with San Jose was excellent and even at 18 he was a league average pitcher (100 ERA+) with Lincoln. He's been anything but average this season with the Legislators, and he's looked brilliant in 6 starts. He's 2-2, but with a 2.65 ERA (197 ERA+) and 1.15 WHIP in 40 innings as a starter. He's averaging less then 7 innings a start, so he may still have to build up the stamina to start, but he's gotten through 6 full in each game so far. A 5th Round Pick in 1927, Black ranks 23rd on our prospect list.

CF Gene Ross (B San Jose Cougars): He's finally showing the potential we saw in him when we took him in the 3rd Round in 1926, and CF Gene Ross has torn the cover off the ball this season. He's hitting .377/.416/.518 (138 OPS+) with 3 homers and 28 RBI's in 125 trips to the plate. He has a rare power-speed combo out in center, although his 2-for-13 in steals has me a little worried. Before this season, he hit 33 homers and stole 17 bases in about a season and a half with the Cougars. A promotion to Lincoln seems likely in the near future.

CF Pete Slater (C LaCrosse Lions): Another solid outfield prospect, the 22-year-old Slater was our 8th Round Pick in the 1927 draft. He's likely ready for San Jose, but with Ross above him he was sent down to La Crosse to start the season. He's been impressive, hitting .352/.517/.620 (233 OPS+) with 5 homers, 11 steals, and 29 RBI's in 148 plate appearances. He's an outstanding defender in center and he earned himself a call up to San Jose, where he'll play right with Ross entrenched in center. The plan for him is still to play center, but it's nice having him work on his defensive versatility now.

Amateur Report

CF Gail Gifford (Portland HS Lumberjacks): One of the few remaining teams in High School playing, the Portland HS leadoff hitter Gail Gifford hit for the cycle in a 5-0 win over St. Louis. Even without a home run this season (16 total in the previous two) his .355/.437/.523 (174 OPS+) batting line is extremely impressive and his +7.5 ZR in center just adds to the appeal in the speedy 17-year-old. He should be back Portland next season and Gifford (174) can surpass the all time Lumberjacks hit leader John Bishop (201). And while he likely won't be able to match the 10 homers he hit as a freshman, Gifford should have a solid professional career.

SP Tom Blalock (Chicago Poly Panthers): I already covered him earlier, but the junior from Chicago Poly finished the regular season with a 3-hit, 11 strikeout shutout of Indiana A&M. One of the competitors for the #1 Overall Selection, Blalock finished the year 8-1 with a 1.52 ERA (307 ERA+), 0.77 WHIP, and 113 strikeouts in 88.2 innings with the Panthers. His season isn't over, and Blalock lead the Panthers to just their second playoff appearance all time. He's hoping to lead the Panthers to their first ever AIAA championship.

2B Freddie Jones (Central Ohio Aviators): His team tied with the Panthers for first in the Midwest, and the freshman was a huge reason for it. He had an insane .506/.642/.683 (252 OPS+) batting line with 5 homers and 38 RBI's. He's only the second college player to every bat over .500, with the first being former #1 Overall Pick Elmer Lambert who hit .531 as a freshman in 1915. Jones has excellent range in the field with a great eye and obviously elite contact skills. Even at a non premium position, Jones will easily be considered for the first pick in 1931, even if he doesn't ever hit like this again.

SP Luke Ellison (Cleveland HS Barons): They're barley alive in the postseason, but the Barons got a clutch pitching performance against Cincinnati HS in the opening round of the playoffs. He tossed a 4-hit shutout and struck out 9 in a 5-0 win. The senior went 8-2 with a 2.70 ERA (123 ERA+), 1.35 WHIP, and 51 strikeouts in 66.2 innings. The southpaw doesn't throw too hard, sitting in the 83-85 MPH range and likely won't be an early selection in the upcoming draft. His Junior year was the best, as he went 5-0 with a 2.26 ERA (199 ERA+), 1.19 WHIP, and 64 strikeouts in 71.2 innings.

RF Elmer Nolde (Coastal California Dolphins): The slugging lefty finished his Junior season the best way he could, as Player of the Week. He went 7-for-16 with 4 homers and 9 RBI's. His .380/.490/.819 (232 OPS+) line was even better then his .347/.423/.593 (190 OPS+) line as a Sophomore. The 21 homers and 49 RBI's also trumped the 8 and 31 respectively from the season before. Nolde is a rare two year starter, as he didn't get into a single game as a Freshman. This shouldn't hold his draft stock back, however, and Nolde will be taken in the first half of December's draft.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:36 PM   #19
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 7: May 27th-June 2nd

May 27th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (13-26): 3
Cleveland Foresters (21-17): 7

W: Max Wilder (3-3)
L: Dick Lyons (3-4)

One inning really did us in as the six run seventh ruined a really good start by Dick Lyons. In total, he allowed 10 hits, 7 runs (6 earned), and 3 walks with two strikeouts in seven innings. Six of the ten hits came in the seventh. Dick Fessel was 3-for-3 with two doubles, a walk, steal, and two RBI's. Art Panko was 2-for-3 with a walk and run scored. Harry Simmons was 2-for-5. Barney Green was 1-for-3 with a sac bunt and run scored.

May 28th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (14-26): 7
Cleveland Foresters (21-18): 4

W: Cotton Taylor (2-4)
L: Jim C. Walker (0-1)
SV: Ed Woodward (1)

We finished the road part of the series with a split, as we managed to spoil Jim Walker's season debut. Cotton Taylor went 6.1 innings with 9 hits, 4 runs, and 2 walks while going 1-for-2 with a sac-bunt and base clearing double. I'm a little concerned the length of his starts, although there is no way to see his stamina ranting. Ed Woodward picked up the first save of his career, finishing the game while walking 1 and striking out 3. Barney Green was 2-for-4 with a double, run scored, and two driven in. John Dibblee was 2-for-5 with a double and an RBI. Harry Simmons was 2-for-4 with a walk and run scored. Mike Smith was 2-for-4 with 2 runs scored.

May 29th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (14-27): 2
Philadelphia Sailors (25-15): 4

W: Oscar Morse (2-0)
L: Dick Kadlec (0-1)

The start of a likely sweep was a close encounter as the Sailors held off our late rally. Dick Kadlec made his first start of the season, 7 innings with 5 hits, 4 runs, 4 walks, and a strikeout against the league's best offense isn't bad at all and aside from a 1st inning 2-run homer by Tom Taylor he really kept the whole lineup in check. Unfortunately the offense didn't do much against the (arguably) best pitching staff. Bob McCarty was 1-for-3 with a walk, run scored, and driven in. Mack Deal was 1-for-3 with a run scored. Harry Simmons was 1-for-4 with an RBI.

May 30th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (14-28): 2
Philadelphia Sailors (26-15): 10

W: Russ Reel (3-1)
L: Babe Wilder (1-4)

The first of a double header was absolutely awful as rookie sensation Russ Reel (1.02 ERA!, 421 ERA+!) kept the Sailors in the game long enough for them to score seven runs in the eighth to take the competitiveness out of the game. Wilder was good until the seventh, of course, but allowed 6 hits, 8 runs (7 earned), and 6 walks with 2 strikeouts in 7.1 innings. Dick Fessel was 2-for-3 with a walk and run scored. Mack Deal and John Dibblee were both 1-for-3 with an RBI.

May 30th, 1929
Chicago Cougars (14-29): 3
Philadelphia Sailors (27-15): 5

W: Maurice Demby (4-1)
L: Johnny Douglas (3-3)

This one hurt the most... Johnny Douglas finally did something to boost his trade value as he was near perfect in the first 7 innings of the game. He then decided to revert to his new form, allowing 2 in the eighth to tie up the game. He one upped himself in the 9th (I would've brought a reliever in, but it is 1929) and decided that it would be okay to let Tom Taylor plant a ball 404 feet away from home plate... He did go 2-for-4 at the plate and his final line of 8 innings, 8 hits, 5 runs, and 3 strikeouts (no runs!) is easily his best outing of the year. All he had to do was leave the game after the 7th and his numbers would look significantly better. John Dibblee went was 2-for-5 with a triple, run scored, and RBI. Slick Hostetter, the estranged backup catcher, went 2-for-3 with a double and run scored.

We were off Friday and would head home to host Montreal (I think I said we'd visit Montreal last post)

June 1st, 1929
Montreal Sailors (25-18): 5
Chicago Cougars (14-29): 4

W: Dave Paynter (4-4)
L: Dick Lyons (3-5)

While we didn't help the second place Saints gain ground on the Sailors last week, we let them beat us too. A run in the 8th tied it before a final run in the 9th gave them the lead and eventual win. Lyons allowed all 5 runs off 12 hits, 2 walks, and 3 strikeouts in 8+ innings. We did manage to launch three (!!) homers this game after hitting basically three every other day of the year. Dibblee and Bill Ashbaugh had solo shots and identical 1-for-4 batting lines. Dick Fessel hit the other, a two run shot to go with his 1-for-4.

June 1st, 1929
Montreal Sailors (25-19): 5
Chicago Cougars (15-29): 10

W: Cotton Taylor (3-4)
L: Leo Hall (5-3)

The Saints put up five again, but I was okay with it today as we doubled them with 10. Taylor picked up another win, 7.2 innings with 6 hits, 5 runs (4 earned), 7 walks, and 4 strikeouts. It wasn't the best start, but he's now technically an above average pitcher (101) in terms of ERA+. When you turn to his 39 walks which are the second most in the league, you lose a little of the same enthusiasm. The bats looked really good, however, with Mack Deal leading the charge. He was 3-for-4 with a steal, triple, and 4 RBI's. Bob McCarty was 3-for-5 with a double, triple, and run scored. Harry Simmons was 2-for-4 with 3 runs, a steal, and sac-bunt. Tom Rogers, who unfortunately came in as a defensive replacement for John Dibblee, was 2-for-3 with a walk and 2 runs scored. Art Panko was 1-for-3 with a double, sac-fly, run scored, and 3 RBI's.

Stars of the Week
Dick Fessel : 26 AB, 9 H, 1 HR, 5 RBI, .346 AVG, .952 OPS
Harry Simmons : 28 AB, 9 H, 0 HR, 2 RBI, .321 AVG, .724 OPS
John Dibblee : 25 AB, 6 H, 1 HR, 5 RBI, .240 AVG, .749 OPS

Looking Ahead
We'll be home all week! Two more with Montreal followed by four with Brooklyn (21-24) and four with Baltimore (23-23). The Sailors (29-15) have a 4 game lead on Montreal and lead us by 14.5. We sit 5 behind the Stars (20-25) for seventh.

Injury Report
Fan favorite John Dibblee will miss 1-2 weeks with a sprained knee. San Jose SP John Peterson will return to the pitching staff. His teammate, the recently promoted CF Pete Slater, will sit out a week with a finger blister. Lincoln will be without C Ken Wyatt for 2-3 weeks.

Transactions
Quite recently a fellow GM asked me why Luke Nixon wasn't in the majors. He was tearing the cover off the ball (still is), but I told him with Dibblee locked in at first I didn't want either of them sitting on the bench.

Well...

It's time to call the slugger up.

He's never played above A until this season, but he's hitting an insane .382/.456/.541 (158 OPS+) and the 24-year-old is basically telling me I should have made him part of my future plans early. He now checks in 17th in our top prospect list (wasn't previously ranked), but it's easy to lose players in a stats only league. Even someone with back to back 155 and 157 OPS+ seasons with A Lincoln, as I didn't even notice how good he was performing until the end of the season where it was too late to promote him. An 11th Round Pick from the 2025 draft (the first human one, so I actually selected him) Nixon had 3 homers and 27 RBI's in 180 trips to the plate with AAA Milwaukee to go with his impressive batting line. He's got a ton of power, evidenced by 23 back in 1927. He's actually a really good defender with a career +24.5 ZR at first and back to back seasons over +8.0.

He's the fifth player from what looks like a really good draft class to debut in the FABL, the fourth to debut with the Cougars. He'll hit cleanup behind the classes top selection, Bill Ashbaugh, at least until Dibblee heals up. If he hits like he as the past three seasons, however, I don't think I'm going to be able to option him.

Minor League Report

CF George Jordan (AAA Milwaukee Blues): One of the main reasons I want to move Art Panko is George Jordan's impressive AAA numbers. He's hitting .360/.415/.581 (156 OPS+) with 3 homers, 6 steals, and 10 RBI's in under 100 trips to the plate. Acquired in an off-season deal with the Brooklyn Kings in 1926, Jordan seems to like the Aaron Judge approach of struggling before succeeding at each level. His numbers his major league debut weren't too inspiring (.245/.309/.367, 82 OPS+), but I'm excited to see his encore.

2B Rabbit Forrest (AA Mobile Commodores): The shortstop experiment wasn't really working, but he's started working out at third again and the results are positive so far (+0.8 ZR). A member of the 1925 class like Nixon, Forrest has hit at every level and he earned the promotion to AAA to replace Nixon's lineup spot. In 161 at bats with the Commodores, he hit .385/.416/.503 (139 OPS+) with 3 steals and 19 RBI's as he takes his next step towards a major league debut. My scout loves the switch hitter who ranks 54th among all prospects. He projects as a .350 hitter with speed and one of the better gloves in the league. As much as I love Mack Deal and what he will become, Forrest could steal the job away from him if he continues to dominate.

SP Mike Muprhy (A Lincoln Legislators): I really don't care if OSA doesn't like him and my scout isn't as convinced as he once was that Murphy should start games, but he's always pitched well and he continues to do so. In 7 starts with Lincoln, he's 3-1 with a 1.95 ERA (229 ERA+), 1.08 WHIP, and 12 strikeouts in 37 innings. He's a sidearmer who throws in the 90s and reminds me a lot of Chris Sale. He won't have as short of a minor league career as Sale did, but there isn't much keeping him from advancing through our system quickly.

SP Sam Bigras (C La Crosse Lions): I don't want to write about him every week, but after a Pitcher of the Month award I couldn't not include him.He was amazing in 42 May innings, allowing just 19 hits and walks with 34 strikeouts and a minuscule 0.64 ERA. He tossed back-to-back shutouts and didn't allow more then 2 runs in a game all month. There's a little bit of a roadblock above him in San Jose, but Bigras likely won't end the season a Lion.

Amateur Report
I'm a little busy tonight so I'm going to leave this for now. If I have more time later I may come back and include a few of the quality prospects still playing.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:28 PM   #20
ayaghmour2
Hall Of Famer

Week 8: June 3rd-June 9th

June 3rd, 1929
Montreal Saints (26-19): 12
Chicago Cougars (15-31): 5

W: Harvey Rodgers (6-3)
L: Dick Kadlec (0-2)

It was a slug-fest for the Saints who took advantage of our poor defensive effort. Kadlec went 6.2 innings and allowed 9 runs, but only 4 of them were earned. He gave up 12 hits, a walk, and struck out 4. Ace McSherry allowed 3 runs in 2.1 innings with 2 hits, 2 walks, and 2 strikeouts. Art Panko was 2-for-3 with a walk and 2 RBI's. Harry Simmons was 2-for-4 with an RBI. Mack Deal was 1-for-2 with a steal, walk, and 2 runs scored. Luke Nixon was 1-for-4 with a steal and run scored in his big league debut.

June 4th, 1929
Montreal Saints (27-19): 3
Chicago Cougars (15-32): 2

W: Charlie Stedman (8-2)
L: Johnny Douglas (3-4)

While there were a lot of games Johnny Douglas didn't deserve to win this year, this was not one of them. He went the distance, allowing 6 hits and 3 runs while striking out 3. Art Panko was 3-for-4 with an RBI. Bill Ashbaugh was 2-for-4 with a triple. Barney Green was 2-for-4.

June 5th, 1929
Brooklyn Kings (22-26): 1
Chicago Cougars (16-32): 8

W: Babe Wilder (2-4)
L: Lyman Weigel (0-1)

Brooklyn joined us for three in Chicago and we managed to spoil Lyman Weigel's big league debut. We even did that fun thing where we hit three homers in a game! Harry Simmons, despite not homering, dominated Weigel, going 4-for-4 with 2 runs, a walk, and a steal. Bill Ashbaugh was 3-for-5 with a steal, homer, 2 runs, and 3 RBI's. Bob McCarty was 3-for-4 with a homer, walk, and 2 runs scored. Luke Nixon was 2-for-5 with a solo homer, the first of his career. Art Panko was 2-for-4 with a double and run scored. Babe Wilder was brilliant on the mound, allowing just 5 hits and a single run with 2 walks and 3 strikeouts in the complete game.

June 6th, 1929
Brooklyn Kings (22-27): 3
Chicago Cougars (17-32): 7

W: Dick Lyons (4-5)
L: Leon Thompson (5-6)

Another good game here as we set up the sweep. Lyons was solid, 7.1 innings with 9 hits, 3 runs, 2 walks, and a strikeout. Luke Nixon continued his hot start to his Cougars career, going 3-for-5 with a run scored and driven in. Bill Ashbaugh was 2-for-4 with a walk, triple, and 2 runs scored. Barney Green was 2-for-3 with a walk, run scored, and RBI. Bob McCarty was 2-for-5 with two runs driven in. Dick Fessel was 1-for-3 with a walk and run scored. Harry Simmons nearly copied him, swapping the run scored for an RBI.

June 7th, 1929
Brooklyn Kings (23-27): 10
Chicago Cougars (17-33): 4

W: Bob Schmid (4-3)
L: Cotton Taylor (3-5)

The Kings wouldn't let us finish the sweep, but they couldn't take the series win from us! Cotton Taylor was roughed up for 7 runs in 7 innings with 11 hits, 2 walks, and 3 strikeouts. Vince DaCosta proved bad outings were always inevitable, allowing 3 runs, a walk, and 4 hits in 2 innings. Harry Simmons had another 4-for-4 game, including 2 runs, a walk, and a steal. Art Panko was 3-for-5 with a double and 2 RBI's. Mack Deal was 2-for-3 with 2 walks, a steal, and a run scored. Mike Smith was 2-for-5 with an RBI. Barney Green and Luke Nixon were both 2-for-5. Taylor was 2-for-3.

June 8th, 1929
Baltimore Cannons (24-28): 1
Chicago Cougars (18-33): 4

W: Dick Kadlec (1-2)
L: Rabbit Day (7-6)

The homestand continued as we took the first of four against Baltimore. Kadlec was brilliant, allowing just 1 run and 6 hits with 5 walks and 2 strikeouts in the complete game. He was crucial in the win as we only managed four hits as a team. Bill Ashbaugh was 1-for-3 with a run scored and RBI. Harry Simmons and Mack Deal were both 1-for-3 with a run scored, although Simmons was hit by Day. Reserve outfielder Hi Lawson was 1-for-2 with an RBI and sac-bunt.

June 9th, 1929
Baltimore Cannons (25-28): 7
Chicago Cougars (18-34): 2

W: Ken Carpenter (7-6)
L: Johnny Douglas (3-5)
SV: Len Moore (4)

Baltimore evened the series up with a 7-2 victory. Johnny Douglas looked good again, allowing just 4 hits and 3 walks with 8 strikeouts and only half of his 6 runs were earned. He was also 1-for-2 with a run scored at the plate. Mack Deal was 2-for-2 with a run and 2 walks. Harry Simmons was 2-for-3 with a triple, walk, and 2 RBI's.

Stars of the Week
Harry Simmons : 26 AB, 15 H, 0 HR, 4 RBI, .577 AVG, 1.279 OPS
Art Panko : 25 AB, 11 H, 0 HR, 5 RBI, .440 AVG, 1.001 OPS
Bill Ashbaugh : 30 AB, 10 H, 1 HR, 5 RBI, .333 AVG, .922 OPS

Looking Ahead
Another week of only home games! We'll finish the four game set with Baltimore (25-28) before starting a four game set with New York (24-28). It's a non traditional four game series, as we have a much needed off day in the middle. Philly (34-16) has a nice 4.5 game cushion over the Saints (30-21) and an even bigger 17 game lead over us. Brooklyn (23-28) sits in seventh 11.5 back of the Sailors.

Johnny Douglas put together a solid week, but I doubt he has enough time to rebuild his trade value. It's likely that Art Panko won't draw much interest anyways, so I've decided to start Mike Smith and Joe Davis every fourth game versus righties and lefties respectively. Both Rule-5 picks have hit really well and deserve more playing time as they could be a part of our future. Charlie O'Hare, who's been working out as a starter, has turned in three solid starts with the Blues. He's 1-1 with a 2.49 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, and 13 strikeouts in 25.1 innings.

Injury Report
Lots of news here as multiple players got hurt or recovered from injury. In the majors, Dick Fessel is dealing with a dead arm and while he can't play, he won't require a DL stint. Both Joe Foley and John Dibblee should be healthy once the week ends. Foley is likely headed to AAA and Dibblee is scheduled to rejoin the team right away.

In the minors, one of our prized pitching prospects SP Lou Gaffin is dealing with back tightness and will miss 2 weeks. His teammate in Milwaukee, 1B Bobby Davis, strained his back and will miss 4 weeks. More Blues for the Blues with RP Claude Purvis' elbow strain keeping him out two months. In AA Mobile, 2B Slim Welsh will miss 4 weeks with a sprained elbow. Fresh off a return from the DL, San Jose will once again be without SP John Peterson, this time with strained triceps. He's likely to miss a month. CF Pete Slater, however, returned to San Jose and 2B Bill Rose returned to La Crosse.

Transactions
RP Clyde Lincoln cleared waivers and will head to AA Mobile.

Minor League Report

LF Vince York (AAA Milwaukee Blues): The year didn't start as planned for the 23-year-old, but fresh off a Player of the Week award his batting line is up to .293/.328/.454 (102 OPS+)with 5 homers and 36 RBI's. It's not nearly as impressive as his AA stat line last year, but it's nice to see the switch hitter start to see the ball better. He's stuck in the logjam of the outfield, but the recently turned 23-year-old is seen as the left fielder of the future.

SP Gus Cain (AA Mobile Commodores): After a 5-hit shutout against Atlanta, it was time to promote the southpaw to AAA Milwaukee to replace the injured Lou Gaffin. Cain made 8 starts with Mobile, going 5-2 with a 1.56 ERA (282 ERA+), 1.03 WHIP, and 29 strikeouts. I'm not going to make the mistake of leaving Cain unprotected in the next Rule-5 Draft, and Cain is likely to make his big league debut before the season ends. There currently isn't an open 40-Man spot, so Cain likely will have to wait until September, but if a few more injuries hit the pitching staff he may find himself in a Cougars uniform quicker then anticipated.

SP Johnny Walker (C La Crosse Lions): Our 3rd Round selection last draft, Johnny Walker hasn't quite dominated the newly formed UMVA like fellow draftee Sam Bigras, but he shook off two rough starts with a dominating performance against the Burlington Bears. He tossed a 2-hit shutout with just 1 walk and 8 strikeouts to improve to 7-2 on the season. He has a respectable 3.06 ERA (111 WHIP) and 1.18 WHIP while his 68 strikeouts are third best in the league. A prolific strikeout pitcher in High School, Walker set down 136 batters as a senior, the best in Berkeley history.

Amateur Report

The Richmond HS Rebels won the 2-out-of-3 series against the Mobile HS Commodores to earn the first championship in school history. In honor of the Rebels, I'll highlight there top draft prospects:

LF Joe Owens: He's hit his whole High School career and took the next step this season. Finishing the year with a .396/.465/.560 (208 OPS+) batting line, 19 steals, and 31 RBI's, Owens was easily the teams best hitter and maybe even best player on the team. He didn't hit any homers after 11 in the previous two, but it seems like homers are way down as a whole this season in High School. He doesn't project to be much of a defender, but an elite eye paired with an equally elite contact ability lead to him striking out just 8 times all season compared to his 23 walks. He's got a ton of upside and will be taken in the first couple of rounds of the draft.

SP Dick Smith: After two seasons with ERA's of 1.70 and 1.74 (254 and 184 ERA+) the southpaw Dick Smith will look to come back even stronger as a senior. This season he had an impressive 0.89 WHIP and he struck out 60 batters in 57 innings. He has good stuff and his four pitch arsenal is headlined by a forkball. He doesn't throw too hard yet and is more of a finesse pitcher, but Smith is definitely an arm to keep an eye out for next year as the Rebels look to defend their title.

SP George Pratt: Pratt is a really interesting case as the senior only played this season. He went 4-3 with a 2.83 ERA (113 ERA+), 1.01 WHIP, and 40 strikeouts in 9 starts while also hitting .368/.455/.447 (172 OPS+). He didn't play the field, but pinch hit 12 times for the Rebels. He will be draft eligible, and it's interesting to see if teams consider him with so little high school stats to go off of. I can see him going to college to boost his draft stock if he doesn't get selected.

CF Dick Walls: A solid defender and hitter, Dick Walls should find himself in an FABL organization this December. He hit .311/.388/.427 (146 OPS+) in his final season with Richmond. For his career, the three year starter hit .311/.388/.427 (146 OPS+) with 10 homers, 22 steals, and 99 RBI's. His +5.7 ZR was the best of his career and he projects to be a steady defender out in center. He's likely not going to be selected too high and his poor personality may be a red flag for certain organizations.