Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 02-13-2019, 01:08 PM   #201
pappyzan
All Star Reserve

Anyone considered going with the new Pete Rose 1B silver 71 card to replace Carew? A pretty similar card but with lower power and defense; on the flip side you'd have a switch hitter, and also save a point moving from a gold card to silver.

Who's gonna give it a shot? You first
pappyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:12 PM   #202
max venerabel
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehart View Post
I could not agree more.....tomorrow should be the turnaround for the BaseStealers…

1. Positional improvements (Ozzie Smith at 2B and Trout in LF) should start to reach positive ZR and get to 100+ by end of week.

2. a new 1B: Ted Kluszewski (will finish my training of 89 Seager at 1B next season. He should get to ~100 as his max.)

3. a new CF: Ty Cobb with Robbles as defensive substitution.

Looking forward to my opponents:
Fighting Saints, SnowBirds, Sea Wolves, GIMHAE, Alchemists, Magpies, and Darmstadt.

Not sure how aggressive your team is set to steal, but they did a damn fine job in the box score I looked at, despite I-Rod behind the plate and a pitching staff that holds runners well.

This league is something else.
max venerabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #203
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by max venerabel View Post
Not sure how aggressive your team is set to steal, but they did a damn fine job in the box score I looked at, despite I-Rod behind the plate and a pitching staff that holds runners well.

This league is something else.

Since it was part of the goal to lead the league each year, I am usually more aggressive than I should be. I knew I was not going to win against the top teams but I could try to focus on an area that may be fun to watch. Strangely, the stealing and speed really helped take down some big whales. In a previous season, we won against Fargo (the top team in the universe) and another whale in the playoffs before losing in game 7 against the Yaks.
But there are games when it totally fails (the 100+ catcher arms).

joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #204
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medici View Post
Congrats on your Ty Cobb acquisition! You will not regret it. Even his down seasons are sweet. And on a team name like the Base Stealers- he fits well ;-)

Also, I'd bet money that the Zorro's are not going to finish in 4th... Any takers?

Cobb was almost 150k a week or two ago. Then suddenly the market got flooded and now he is closer to 70k. A big drop.

It cost me two great pitchers and my bench. Now Barker is a SP again which will certainly cost me a few games here and there.

It is so hard to make base stealing improvements...the diamond ones are all hard to find and expensive.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:08 PM   #205
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moalkha View Post
After an horrific start my Perugia Warriors are playing a bit better of late, but we are still dangerously close to the relegation area.

Not the season I expected so far, but it's a testament to the strenght of this league.

To put it nicely. This league is something else.

The Renton Warriors were pulled into a different Diamond league last season and cruised to the finals. Now they are breakfast for everyone in this league.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:14 PM   #206
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Not this Darmstadt, I bet. I am from the Evansville, Indiana area but my brother-in-law and I actually reside in a small town called Darmstadt on the edge of the main city. The area was originally populated by German immigrants and still has many residents of German heritage today.

Wow. I did not know that.
Darmstadt is not a common city name at all.
Very cool. Learned something new today.
Thank you.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:16 PM   #207
Nyflamingos
Minors (Single A)

Have no fear ... Renton Warriors just need to play me ... they took 2 of 3 from me ... and like some cruel joke .. im currently 5-0 against GIMHAE king ... taking down his pedro twice in the process

Makes sense though .. i normally dont eat breakfast

Phatpartie
Ypsilanti Angry Dragons
Nyflamingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #208
atabakin
All Star Reserve

Holy Toledo, my two teams just played 23 innings against each other. That was not the plan.
atabakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:47 PM   #209
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Your mid-day standings... brought to you without complaints by Orcin.

Name:  standings.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  263.5 KB
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #210
chazzycat
All Star Starter

I don't know why my team is playing so much better than last year...I only changed one pitcher and somehow have the best run differential in the league? Go figure...

Also. I took a look at GIMHAE's team and am not impressed. Yeah the roster is insanely talented. But he isn't running a single platoon...actually his lineup for LHP and RHP are exactly the same. He's attempting too many steals, he has 4 middle relievers and no stopper...

It's a classic all-wallet no-brain team.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:07 PM   #211
pappyzan
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
I don't know why my team is playing so much better than last year...I only changed one pitcher and somehow have the best run differential in the league? Go figure...
I forget how your starting pitching fared last season for you, but it's smoking hot this season. That's how the chazzycats' are doing it.

Your bats have pretty much always been doing their thing year after year, but that starting staff is cranking it out for you this season. My starters are jealous.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #212
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Yep, other than my perfect Randy, who somehow has the worst FIP of my entire staff, the pitching has been great. Luckily his drastic drop in strikeouts has not affected his ERA somehow. I guess the one upgrade I made was fairly substantial (Mordecai Brown --> Jacob DeGrom). And last year Mookie was still training up in LF, so that hurt my defense.

On the offensive side it looks like the main difference from usual is that Ken Griffey Jr. is having a career year, leading my team in WAR and putting up an OPS over 1. I couldn't be more pleased with that...a while back I decided to never use Mike Trout on this team and committed to my Griffey/Lemon duo. So that's really nice to see.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #213
pappyzan
All Star Reserve

Quote:

a while back I decided to never use Mike Trout on this team and committed to my Griffey/Lemon duo. So that's really nice to see.
yep, made the same decision on Trout, actively working to move Betts out as well.

Griffey is pretty balanced in CF, I don't mind giving up a little on his defense for a more consistent return than Trout on offense.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:19 PM   #214
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:

Also. I took a look at GIMHAE's team and am not impressed. Yeah the roster is insanely talented. But he isn't running a single platoon...actually his lineup for LHP and RHP are exactly the same. .
To be honest, I am not always certain that a platoon will actually deliver the results we expect.
It seems more often than not, the more players you have, the more likely you will have some that will not perform up to their expected stats.

Also, my guys that go against LHPs rarely see the field and usually end up with poor hitting stats.

Unfortunately, I only have data for my players for the last few seasons and never crunched the numbers for all the players in the league.

For this year, 50% of my platoons underperform. It would be interesting to know if you also see this with your teams.....
Old 02-13-2019, 05:34 PM   #215
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehart View Post
To be honest, I am not always certain that a platoon will actually deliver the results we expect.
It seems more often than not, the more players you have, the more likely you will have some that will not perform up to their expected stats.

Also, my guys that go against LHPs rarely see the field and usually end up with poor hitting stats.

Unfortunately, I only have data for my players for the last few seasons and never crunched the numbers for all the players in the league.

For this year, 50% of my platoons underperform. It would be interesting to know if you also see this with your teams.....
The thing about platoons is that they lower the sample sizes of your players, so yeah, it is more likely that you see unexpected results. But it's still a good idea to stick to your strategy based on the split ratings. Eventually in a large enough sample they will work out.

In his case with the talent on that roster it's not a big deal, I mean you're not gonna platoon Bonds & Ruth. But at minimum you would think the lineup should be shuffled a bit since some players are better vs lefties or righties.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:43 PM   #216
joehart
All Star Starter

At this point, a small increase in OPS is often not worth the investment.
I find taking the extra PPs and moving them into a better pitcher is the better long term investment.
However, I fully agree when it comes to giant splits and taking the long term approach.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:55 PM   #217
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

There are some players that absolutely need to be platooned but I think we (me included) tend to overdo it. There are so few LH starters in the league that is almost not worth a roster spot to carry someone that only plays against LHP.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #218
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyzan View Post
Anyone considered going with the new Pete Rose 1B silver 71 card to replace Carew? A pretty similar card but with lower power and defense; on the flip side you'd have a switch hitter, and also save a point moving from a gold card to silver.

Who's gonna give it a shot? You first
I have not seen him in the AH yet. I saw some of the other new cards and picked up a Fernando Rodney but not Rose.

I wonder if we are missing some cards that capture the best of Rose and Ichiro (the best of career stats cards).

I think in real life, I would probably want them on my "perfect team" if I had to build one. In PT, it seems they are moving to the bench by Gold/Diamond.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:22 PM   #219
joehart
All Star Starter

Another quick standings update....

1. The entire NC West has a good L10-game record so nobody is pulling ahead yet.
Zorro still in last place. We may need to wait another day.

2. Colonels and Angry Dragons making some ground and getting closer to the "unlimited" Chicago team.

3. Silver Pirates not coming closer to unlimited GIMHAE. Both teams on a 3-7 record. What a missed opportunity.
Renton falling further behind but at least reaching a 5-5. There is still hope :-)

4. Bob's Burger continues to stay on top of the AC West with a good 6-4 record while the other two teams are putting in 4-6 and 3-7 records.
Humboldt Green still within striking distance while Valkyrie is now 11 games behind.

5. AC Central looks competitive. Top team Seals are losing (3-7) while Magpies are winning (6-4).

6. AC East is also very competitive. Top 3 teams are within 1 game.
Saints are 8-2 and just rolling.
Base Stealers are .650 for the month and moving up.

At least 13 teams fighting for playoff spots.....another long Saturday ahead.
Attached Images

Last edited by joehart; 02-13-2019 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:42 PM   #220
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

Boy, this has been a tough year for the Titans after starting out the year well. We're now closer to relegation than .500. I really want to blow up my whole team, but for now just some minor shakeups as we head into a four game series with Chicago.
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote