Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-23-2014, 01:04 PM   #41
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanmatt View Post
I try to keep it so any combination of two years of scouting will be valued more than any one year alone, if that makes sense.

That said I have no real problem using ratings a bit as well, and have gone as high as 10% with them. I justify it because players are not totally scouted by statistics in reality. There are plenty of visual things scouts notice as well, such as how well a player physically swings the bat. Larger, more muscular guys are more likely to have more power. Stuff like that. Since we can't "watch" our players I consider ratings to be more of an evaluation on those terms. Still hardly ever have the AI eval on them though.
See this is where I might differ a bit.

I love the first idea and totally get the thought behind it.

But I differ in that unless you turn ratings off you see the power, gap, etc ratings. (I've always called them "tool ratings" but that may be simplifying a bit.)

I definitely have no issues with that eval scale...we all want our info presented and utilized differently!

Everyone's mileage may vary. I play nearly every game out, so I am probably much more likely to notice a genie scout...and then I notice the talent drop half a season before it starts manifesting statistically and I hate the league going forward.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:06 PM   #42
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
See this is where I might differ a bit.

I love the first idea and totally get the thought behind it.

But I differ in that unless you turn ratings off you see the power, gap, etc ratings. (I've always called them "tool ratings" but that may be simplifying a bit.)

I definitely have no issues with that eval scale...we all want our info presented and utilized differently!

Everyone's mileage may vary. I play nearly every game out, so I am probably much more likely to notice a genie scout...and then I notice the talent drop half a season before it starts manifesting statistically and I hate the league going forward.

I use 1-5 rating scale too, so from a me stand point, it makes it harder to determine the "meaning" of a player's ratings without the accompanying stats. I try and keep ratings as vague for me as possible.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:35 PM   #43
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I use 1-5 rating scale too, so from a me stand point, it makes it harder to determine the "meaning" of a player's ratings without the accompanying stats. I try and keep ratings as vague for me as possible.
The way I rationalize it is that any scout working for me would be damn good at paperwork and since they are solely evaluating off stats they are just giving me a round number for the players expected contribution...
Old 05-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #44
stealofhome
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
after your draft, you can delete and go from there.
Could you expound on this or link to a thread that talks about deleting league history? Does this just delete stats or all player contract and service time as well?
stealofhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:51 PM   #45
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealofhome View Post
Could you expound on this or link to a thread that talks about deleting league history? Does this just delete stats or all player contract and service time as well?
Hrmm. If you have a league that has played I am *pretty* sure it keeps service time and contract, it just removes all the notations from the history that would show them signing the deals and the like.

There is the separate option for clearing contracts and service time, of course.

Example: I just started my MLB Forever (16 team fictional MLB, 1901) and I simmed 1871-1901 and then whacked the history. The guys still had their correct service time, but I inaugural drafted, so I'm sure their new contracts were by their demand. Don't QUOTE me, but I'm pretty sure if you were to not do an inaugural draft, keeping the teams as they were at the end of the sim, and JUST nuke the entire history, their contracts and service time hold as they were.

I'd have to setup a test to confirm, but I'm fairly sure in all of my tests that is what I've seen. I do an inaugural draft in almost every league to set markets, though...
Old 05-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #46
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
M Dei.
I talked to him and he admitted that he "might have been" the original guy. He said it was a long time ago and he's not real sure and it's not that important.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:26 PM   #47
lere2001
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
And I fully agree with the idea of no roster limits for minor league teams.
May I ask why?

I just set the minor league roster limits to the rl limits:

AAA-A: 25 players
SA: 30 players
RL: 35 players

I was just wondering what effects that may have on my game?
lere2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #48
mgoetze
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lere2001 View Post
May I ask why?

The effect is that the AI will screw up and release players it shouldn't release.
mgoetze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #49
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Yea I'll just set the age limits. The AI does a great job at keeping a reasonable roster size without a limit. Its up to the human player to not go bonkers.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 05-23-2014 at 06:59 PM.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #50
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lere2001 View Post
May I ask why?

The AI can't deal with minor league roster limits in a rational manner yet. It starts shedding quality prospects.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:02 AM   #51
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm of the opinion that the rating scale doesn't matter as long as you are having the AI evaluate solely on production.

When I add even 5% of the evaluation towards ratings, I see the issue with the AI seeing a decline before it actually manifests statistically (the crystal ball.)

I use the 20-80 but I have 0/67/22/11 as my evaluation settings, and evaluate across the entire league instead of by positions. Everyone seems to have even information, and you don't have the mystical genie scouts.

Just my two cents...

(Also is a way to bridge that initial stats-only "shock" to the system that The Wolf spoke of...)
I have always wondered...why is it 0/67/22/11? Why not just 0/70/20/10?
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:12 AM   #52
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I try to keep it so any combination of two years of scouting will be valued more than any one year alone, if that makes sense.

That said I have no real problem using ratings a bit as well, and have gone as high as 10% with them. I justify it because players are not totally scouted by statistics in reality. There are plenty of visual things scouts notice as well, such as how well a player physically swings the bat. Larger, more muscular guys are more likely to have more power. Stuff like that. Since we can't "watch" our players I consider ratings to be more of an evaluation on those terms. Still hardly ever have the AI eval on them though.
The truth is, I think the AI uses ratings to some degree no matter what...is this true? If so, does it make things qual between the human and AI? I am OK with the ratings evaluation being at zero...but I will not turn off my scouted ratings.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #53
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm of the opinion that the rating scale doesn't matter as long as you are having the AI evaluate solely on production.

When I add even 5% of the evaluation towards ratings, I see the issue with the AI seeing a decline before it actually manifests statistically (the crystal ball.)

I use the 20-80 but I have 0/67/22/11 as my evaluation settings, and evaluate across the entire league instead of by positions. Everyone seems to have even information, and you don't have the mystical genie scouts.

Just my two cents...

(Also is a way to bridge that initial stats-only "shock" to the system that The Wolf spoke of...)
This is an excellent point that bears repeating.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #54
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
The truth is, I think the AI uses ratings to some degree no matter what...is this true? If so, does it make things qual between the human and AI? I am OK with the ratings evaluation being at zero...but I will not turn off my scouted ratings.
No. There is a switch to force it to use whatever criteria you tell it to use.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #55
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have always wondered...why is it 0/67/22/11? Why not just 0/70/20/10?
It's a matter of weighting choice. I use 0/50/33/17 myself. Try a few stats-only leagues and see which weighting you like. As long as the first number is 0, and the following numbers each decline in value, you're somewhere in the ballpark.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #56
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
No. There is a switch to force it to use whatever criteria you tell it to use.
I was under the impression that when the aren't enough stats...such as at the start of a season....the AI will rely on ratings somewhat no matter
Old 12-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #57
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I was under the impression that when the aren't enough stats...such as at the start of a season....the AI will rely on ratings somewhat no matter
Since the basic instructions for a stats only league specify simming it for four or five seasons before you actually start playing it so that every player from the MLB to the feeder leagues all have stats, that can't possibly be an issue.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:24 PM   #58
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I mean in say the month of april or may....for the current year weight
Old 12-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #59
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

what about speed and defense? How is this taken into account by the AI?
Old 12-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #60
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Those are questions for Markus.