Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Technical Support > Bug Reports Forum

Bug Reports Forum Have a bug to report? Please post here.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
HuDer
Bat Boy

Re-install of Steam Version Corrupts Saved Games

Re-installed after 60 days of not playing and when I opened the last saved game, all the players are messed up. Historically, the names through the last games played are correct, but the links open the wrong players. Somehow the players. dat file was changed with the install?
HuDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:32 PM   #2
Alex Murray
Major Leagues

Hey HuDer,

My apologies about the corrupted saved games. Thankfully there is a way we could look at restoring those using our autosave feature.

The first thing to try would be to restore from the game's autosave.

To restore from the automatic backup, do the following:

1) Open the game and on the start screen, click on Settings (or Preferences in OOTP 11-14).

2) Now click on the tab "Troubleshooting".

3) Click "Open folder containing saved games".

4) Now open up the league folder you're wanting to restore.

5) Then select all of the .dat files in the folder and back them up (just in case) by copying them to a temporary folder or creating a zipped file with them

6) Open the folder called "auto-save".

7) In there, select all of the ".dat" files and copy them to the league folder (the parent of the current folder) overwriting all of the ".dat" files in the league folder.

Let me know how that goes and if it works for you.

Thanks
Alex
Old 12-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #3
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

One thing to clarify here and to add to what Alex said, a re-install of the game will never corrupt your files. If saved games or other files are corrupt, then it's as a result of something on your system outside of the game itself interfering with the files.

There are a few things that can cause corruption. This potentially includes unexpected system shutdowns or crashes especially while a league is saving, bad sectors on the hard drive the game is saved to, memory glitches on your computer (especially possible if the league is left open for very long periods of time without the game being shut down or restarted) or occasionally interference from other programs.

I can't tell you offhand which problem caused your issues, but it was likely one of the above.

Some of what you might do to prevent that from coming up again would be to regularly defrag your hard drive as well as check it for errors, make sure to occasionally shut your computer off or at least restart it and also run as few other programs in the background at the same time as OOTP as possible. For programs that need to be running at the same time, like an anti-virus or firewall, it's a good idea to add OOTP to their whitelist.

If you do all that, it's quite unlikely you'll run into issues with corrupt files again. Hope that info helps!

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 07:51 PM   #4
HuDer
Bat Boy

Thank you for the reply. This has no happened multiple times. I started a new game and a week later the same issue happened with the newer saved game. The game is able to load the saved game files. However, the reference to players is no longer valid. For example, in the first occurrance, i am in the 2034 season. However, I have starting pitchers in my rotation (30+ games into the season) who now state that they retired in 2029. In the second instance, I now have 6 players with the name JIM UNKNOWN.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:16 PM   #5
HuDer
Bat Boy

I have an additional note. When i opened the first saved game that had this issue, i closed the game to try again and ootp automatically saves the game, which made the files in the autosave folder the same as the saved game files. In teh second instance i used cntl-alt-dlt to shut the game down instead and the auto save files are from the last time i saved in game. using the instructions posted above i the game looks to have the correct player references and i can continue. i will make it a habit to backup my game file now. I have never seen this issue back at least to ootp 15. I am using steam so maybe that is part of the issue. thank you again for your replies.
Old 12-31-2019, 06:55 PM   #6
DustyElbows
Minors (Triple A)

I am experiencing the same problems as HuDer, across several different saved games and seemingly at random. Sometimes I am able to open and save a game in the normal way, but every once in a while OOTP is unable to correctly open the file and the saved game is corrupted. This issue just cropped up with the last update.
DustyElbows is offline   Reply With Quote