Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-12-2020, 12:59 AM   #181
Magus978
All Star Starter

Sumo regulars, assemble! Hatsu 2020 gets underway today!

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:50 AM   #182
Magus978
All Star Starter

We crank up the action with day 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMRmOW-j0Hs

Enjoy!

Last edited by Magus978; 01-12-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:47 AM   #183
Magus978
All Star Starter

Day 5 in the books. Yes, I'm aware I've missed days 2, 3, and 4...but I've caught up and am prepared to give my thoughts as we cross the 1/3 pole in the 2020 Hatsu Basho.

- It's a nokozuna situation, as both Hakuho and Kakuryu are now kyujo. One has to wonder if they can hang on much longer. The way things are going, I figure Hakuho is done after the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, Kakuryu maybe sooner.

- Terutsuyoshi starting out 5-0 is giving me flashbacks from July 2019 where he went 12-3 and was a contender for the yusho. Is this the time for Terutsuyoshi to put it together?

- Has Chiyomaru learned nothing from his time in juryo? At 1-4, he's looking like a contender to drop out of the division entirely. If he wants to stay in the top division, he needs to get it together and start performing to expectations.

- Of the current group of sanyaku, only Takakeisho looks like he's doing his part to uphold those ranks at 4-1. If any of the maegashira at the top of the standings fall off, Takakeisho is best suited to pick up the pieces.

- Endo is gaining confidence with each win, and that's the thing with him. He's always had the skill to succeed, but he's gotta have the confidence to execute his brand of sumo. With a double kinboshi bonus in his pocket and a place among the chase pack, he seems as confident as ever, and if he can carry that over as the tournament goes on he could definitely make a run at the yusho.

- Continuing to look at the top of the standings, do not count out Shodai and Kagayaki. Both are 5-0, joint leaders with Terutsuyoshi, and they both have to start believing that it's their time.

- Down at the bottom, it's looking like we'll only have one Ozeki in March, because kadoban Goeido is looking very bad. If Goeido wants to save his rank, he has to be 5-5 after day 10. He can't afford too many more losses.

With both yokozuna now out of the tournament, it's a wide open field. I'll be back on day 10 to review the happenings in the Makuuchi division, as well as give us a look at who may be coming up from Juryo. Join me then. Hakkeyoi!!!

Old 01-16-2020, 11:50 AM   #184
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

I haven't seen any of the day's matches yet. Family health issues (father, mother-in-law) are taking front seat.

I was sad to see my favorites (Mitekiumi and Tochinoshin) slide so far down the banzuke.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:13 PM   #185
Magus978
All Star Starter

At the 2/3rds pole of the 2020 Hatsu Basho, and as I promised, it's time for a brief roundup of the top two divisions. We'll start with Juryo.

Terunofuji (J13) 10-0
Daishoho (J5) 8-2

Daiamami (J6) 7-3
Kotoshoho (J8) 7-3
Nishikigi (J4) 6-4
Wakatakakage (J5) 6-4
Akua (J9) 6-4)
Kyokushuho (J9) 6-4
Hoshoryu (J14) 6-4
Hidenoumi (J2) 5-5
Kotonowaka (J2) 5-5
Tobizaru (J6) 5-5
Ichinojo (J7) 5-5
Kyokutaisei (J8) 5-5
Asagyokusei (J12) 5-5
Sakigake (J14) 5-5
Chiyoshoma (J1) 4-6
Daishomaru (J3) 4-6
Mitoryu (J4) 4-6
Takagenji (J10) 4-6
Toyonoshima (J11) 4-6
Churanoumi (J12) 4-6
Chiyootori (J13) 4-6
Sokokurai (J10) 3-7
Yago (J7) 2-8
Kizakiumi (J3) 1-9
Irodori (J11) 1-6-3 (Injured)
Tomokaze (J1) 0-0-10 (Injured)

- This is Terunofuji's Juryo yusho to lose. Two wins clear at the top and no signs of it getting harder. He probably needs 14 wins to jump from J13 back into the Maegashira ranks, perhaps even run the table. In his current form, he can do it.

- We could see more than a few rikishi drop out of juryo. Tomokaze (injury), Irodori, and Yago look like prime candidates to become unsalaried wrestlers. Kizakiumi could also go down, but I think he'll grab a few wins during this week to only drop to lower juryo rank.

I'll give my promotion/relegation predictions between the top two divisions at the end of the tournament, as a lot of things can still happen.

Let's have a look at the Makuuchi standings after 10 days.

- Shodai has been so impressive. He grabbed a huge victory over Takakeisho on day 9 and was a bit excited over it as he went down the tunnel. (See the end of the post for the gif)

- Tokushoryu hasn't really been tested because of his Maegashira 17 rank, but he's making a case to potentially go 14-1 and have a playoff with Shodai. Would be interesting to see a playoff between a pair of Maegashira for the yusho.

- Enho's had some exciting bouts this tournament. Even though he got swatted away against Takakeisho on day 10, he beat a slumping Goeido on day 9.

- Takayasu's chance to return to Ozeki has come and gone. At 4-6, he cannot get the 10 wins needed to make an instant return.

With 5 days left in the basho, there's still everything to play for. We'll be back after day 14, unless the yusho is already spoken for. Join us then. Hakkeyoi!!!

Old 01-21-2020, 02:27 PM   #186
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

I have forgotten, is Gouiedo kadoban this basho?
Old 01-22-2020, 01:30 PM   #187
Magus978
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONN CHRIS View Post
I have forgotten, is Gouiedo kadoban this basho?
Yes. Goeido is kadoban, and at 4-7 needs to win out to keep his Ozeki rank.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:58 AM   #188
Magus978
All Star Starter

Down the stretch they come in the 2020 Hatsu Basho, and we've got a huge final day in prospect. Two great stories, one of which will have its happy ending. Let's look at the Makuuchi leaderboard.

Tokushoryu (M17) 13-1
Shodai (M4) 12-2

Takakeisho (O) 11-3
Hokutofuji (M2) 11-3
Ryuden (M8) 10-4
Yutakayama (M9) 10-4
Kiribayama (M17) 10-4
Asanoyama (S) 9-5
Kagayaki (M11) 9-5
Tochiozan (M16) 9-5
Endo (M1) 8-6
Enho (M5) 8-6
Onosho (M7) 8-6
Terutsuyoshi (M14) 8-6

- In bold are the two rikishi still in with a chance at the yusho. Tokushoryu defeated Shodai on day 14 to take the lead by himself, but Shodai should not lose hope as he can still be involved in a playoff. The scenarios are below, and it's pretty simple.

TOKUSHORYU YUSHO
- Tokushoryu defeats Takakeisho
OR
- Shodai loses to Mitakeumi (M2, 7-7)

PLAYOFF FOR YUSHO
- Takakeisho defeats Tokushoryu
AND
- Shodai defeats Mitakeumi

- Takakeisho is out of the running after a loss to Asanoyama on day 14. Had he won, he'd be in contention for a playoff by defeating Tokushoryu in the Musubi no Ichiban (main event) of day 15. As it is, Takakeisho can still have an impressive 12-3 record with a win. There is precedent for him to be promoted to Yokozuna if he can manage to go 14-1 or 15-0 in March. The most recent one to be promoted under this guise was Kisenosato, who went 12-3 in November 2016, following it up with a 14-1 score and a yusho in January 2017, which was enough to promote to Yokozuna.

- Enho has had some very exciting bouts, and has done well to earn kachi-koshi. His win over Abi on day 13 was a joy to behold. He'll remain one of the upper maegashira, but after a loss on day 14 to Daieisho, he also remains a rikishi who is yet to register a double-digit win yusho.

- Kadoban ozeki Goeido (5-9) will not keep his rank. He'll be sekiwake in March unless he decides to retire. If he sticks around, he will need 10 wins to regain ozeki rank.

- Sekiwake Takayasu (5-9) has failed to regain ozeki rank, and will be amongst the rank and file maegashira in March, maybe an M3 or M4.

- Down at the bottom, we're probably saying bye bye to Tsurugisho (M12, 5-9) & Kotoeko (M13, 2-12), maybe even Kotoshogiku (M13, 6-8) and/or Shimanoumi (M14, 6-8).

JURYO REPORT
Not much to report, Terunofuji has locked up the yusho, but suffered an unexpected loss on day 14 to Nishikigi in his bid to run the table. He can still finish 14-1 with a win on day 15, which could be enough to promote back to Makuuchi. Otherwise, he'll probably be a Juryo 1 for March. See below for potential promotion permutations.

As far as promotion goes, Nishikigi (J4, 10-4) has probably booked a ticket back. Daiamami (J6, 10-4) is in with a shout too. As are Daishoho (J5, 9-5) & Wakatakakage (J5, 9-5). Kotonowaka (J2, 7-7) and Hidenoumi (J2, 7-7) could also be promoted just by making kachi-koshi due to their higher rank. If any of those slip up, the door opens a little more for a potential Terunofuji promotion from J13, but he has to win to finish 14-1.

The final day of the 2020 Hatsu Basho has plenty of things to be decided. Who's going up? Who's going down? Who's taking home the Makuuchi yusho? Will Takakeisho get his 13 wins and give himself at least a chance of forcing a yokozuna promotion decision in March? We'll find out together. Join us tomorrow. Hakkeyoi!!!

Old 01-25-2020, 02:35 PM   #189
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Thanks! I will tune in tomorrow for certain and hope to have a more normal life schedule in March. This is the first basho that I have completely missed in at least 5 years.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:38 PM   #190
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

I can't believe Terunofuji is poised to make the jump back to makuuchi. Great for him!
Old 03-02-2020, 01:59 PM   #191
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

March basho (with an empty arena in Osaka due to Corona virus) starts this Sunday.

Wierd banzuke with only one Ozeki (Guoeado retired). Tochinoshin is all the way down at Maegashira 9. With the top thinned out, there is an M18 this tournament. Have never seen that before.

http://www.sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoBanz...php/index.php/
Old 03-02-2020, 09:09 PM   #192
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONN CHRIS View Post
I can't believe Terunofuji is poised to make the jump back to makuuchi. Great for him!

Juryo 3E. Will be pulling for him; it would be great to see him back in the big show. He was a decent Ozeki once upon a time.
Old 03-04-2020, 11:33 AM   #193
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

My worthless predictions:

1. Kakuryu will drop out by day five.
2.Takakeisho will flop at 9-6 maybe 10-5 and not be in contention the last few days
3. Tochinoshin will drop out again and be contemplating Juryo or retirement
4.Shodai and Mitekiumi will contend but Hakuho will run away with it.
Old 03-08-2020, 02:38 AM   #194
Magus978
All Star Starter

Day 1 is underway...we've had all the bouts except Makuuchi, but this is a surreal environment. No fans, stone silence...a bit unsettling for me.

While I wait for the bouts to begin, gives me a chance to throw some predictions out here. Some are more bold than others.

- Both Hakuho and Kakuryu will finish all 15 days. Hakuho will be a factor for the yusho late, but somehow won't get it done. I say 11-4 for Hakuho, and 10-5 for Kakuryu.

- Asanoyama continues his Ozeki push with 11 wins. May get promoted only because of the current opening at the Ozeki rank.

- Tokushoryu has a chance to prove that he isn't a one hit wonder, and will do so with a 9-6 record to put himself in the discussion for promotion to Komusubi.

- We will once again have at least one low-maegashira in contention in the final days of the tournament. I'm not sure who it'll be though.

- Tochinoshin will complete all 15 days, but with his knees so wrecked he will finish 4-11 and retire as soon as his relegation to juryo is confirmed.

- The yusho race will come down to the final day, and there will be at least three contenders.

Last edited by Magus978; 03-08-2020 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:57 AM   #195
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Day one highlights.

Tochinoshin is depressing to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0q0gT8Rzzc
Old 03-09-2020, 08:15 AM   #196
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Day two of a weird basho (though it is neat to be able to hear the barkers and stuff happening on the dohyo so well)

The top of the banzuke is crumbling already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_kMSxPn5kQ

Last edited by CONN CHRIS; 03-09-2020 at 08:17 AM.
CONN CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:35 PM   #197
Magus978
All Star Starter

I'm still not used to the stone silence that proceeds each bout. These are the most extraordinary circumstances I've ever seen.

Old 03-10-2020, 08:11 AM   #198
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Day Three.
- Some life from Tochinoshin!
- Mitakiumi is looking great this time around.
- Envelope hauls are tiny without the crowds.
- Very entertaining bout between Enhou and Yutakayama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNucJm9NkOA
Old 03-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #199
Magus978
All Star Starter

Terutsuyoshi's massive salt throw isn't the same without the crowd reaction. He then proceeded to slip on his own salt and lose.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:21 AM   #200
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Day four matches - ticket sales remain low :-)

Mitekiumi looks like a bull

Takayasu was badly hurt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnRsmeNyBnQ

Last edited by CONN CHRIS; 03-11-2020 at 08:22 AM.
CONN CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote