Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 09-12-2015, 04:26 PM   #1
OffTheFoulPole
Bat Boy

Fictional league setup

I have OOTP 11 on an old desktop PC that I seldom use. I am strongly considering getting OOTP 16 and putting it on a laptop. Before I do that, I have some questions.

I play a tabletop baseball sim with some fictional players I created. I don't want to replace my tabletop sim with OOTP. I enjoy these players and the league in which they play (one league, two divisions, six teams per division), and I want to sim them with OOTP outside of my tabletop universe but keep their identities and abilities intact as much as possible.

I would like to retain the players' names, team affiliations, ages, etc. I want to create faux statistics representative of their abilities and import them into OOTP. Since these players do not exist in Baseball Reference, are not equivalent to or clones of any actual players, and will not have ID numbers in Baseball Reference, I do not know whether importing data for them is possible. Can OOTP import data from a CSV or spreadsheet file?

Failing this, do I understand that the following is the method I would need to use? Run an Inaugural Draft and allow the system to create fictional players; then edit the names, attributes, etc. of each player until I am satisfied with each.

There are 25 active "Major Leaguers" per team starting the season. Additionally, most of the teams have one or more players starting the season with injuries that have caused them to go on the 15-day or 60-day disabled list. Is there a way to add those players as well? I realize that OOTP would not have a way to know they are injured, and that's fine.

Also, please note that although my tabletop universe does not have a full minor league system, each of the 12 "Major League" teams has about 15 or 20 minor leaguers assigned to it. Some are at the AAA level, especially if they have had a cup of coffee in the bigs, while most who have no Major League experience are considered to be at AA. The other minor leaguers could be ghost players; I am fine with that because seven players doth not a full team make. However, I would prefer for my created players to have priority over the ghost players in terms of receiving promotions to the next level.

Each team also has a manager persona that I would like to simulate somehow in OOTP, but it's not a deal-breaker if I cannot accomplish that.

Any help on any of these ideas would be greatly appreciated.
OffTheFoulPole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

You can edit all the names then export them and edit in their career stats. see in in 3 years when you are done. I tried this back on 11 using my last season on High Heat. I gave up as it seemed to be too arduous. I decided to do a fictional- historical replay instead. That is what my EBL vs MLB league is. I started with 1999 MLB which had just 2 fictional players and add my EBL league in 2003. I use modifiers and finances starting with 1973. I am now in 2024. While it would have been great to start with 2037, I last played 2036 on HH, in some ways this is better. i have been able to do more and have more leagues that only ran in my mind before. i have been lucky to get some great modders make all of my jerseys & logos. i now can make some of them myself.
I suggest doing it this way and let the AI fill in gaps with any players you no longer have stats for or making some players as clones of real players.
In my orig game which was started on Tony Larussa 3, continued on Hardball 2 & 3 then High Heat 99-2003 i had a 3B Charles Crim who was basically a Carney Larnsford type. As a clone of Chipper Jones he never was great in OOTP as he was before.
I can give you additional ideas on how to recreate your league the way i do mine if you want. i have stats for the majority of my players 2003-2025 and stats for 99% of my players 2027-2036.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:30 AM   #3
OffTheFoulPole
Bat Boy

@The Game, thank you for your quick response. I'm not 100% sure what you're suggesting.

First, you mentioned fictional-historical, so is there such a thing as a fictional season that is not historical?

Second, are you suggesting that I perform the inaugural draft, edit the names, and live with whatever OOTP created for me? I'm willing to put in the work to enter their career faux stats or the attributes that would equate to those stats.
OffTheFoulPole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
The Game
Hall Of Famer

I am suggesting a reboot of your league as a fictional- historical replay.
Create a fictional league and start from year 1 of your league when you created it on another game. Make sure you have enough players to fill out the ML level and any minor league levels you have then edit the names of your players to what you had in your orig league. Each January 1st in game edit the next season stats in and have a Ammy draft set for November and edit in rookies stats. This is how i do it.
You could export your rosters and edit in you players career stats but you can not edit league history such as champions and historical stats like 755 HR etc.
See my dynasty thread.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...12-beyond.html
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would like to retain the players' names, team affiliations, ages, etc
You can do this, it is a question of how and is it worth the time to you.
I think you are going to be able to create a fictional league, export the players edit them and import them.
Go here:
OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts - OOTP Developments Forums
This is the Mods forums-> rosters section. Check the posts see if you can get an answer.
Then try here:
OOTP Mods - Database Tools - OOTP Developments Forums
This is the database mods forums.
Someone that is a regular at these forums knows how to do what you want.
I would be stunned of you could not export to csv, work on it in excel (or whatever), export to csv then back into OOTP. I just don't know if there are 2-3 other hoops to jump through to get it to work.

Quote:
There are 25 active "Major Leaguers" per team starting the season. Additionally, most of the teams have one or more players starting the season with injuries that have caused them to go on the 15-day or 60-day disabled list. Is there a way to add those players as well? I realize that OOTP would not have a way to know they are injured, and that's fine.
When you create those players and have them in the game you can go to the player editor and give them an injury and put them on the DL you want.

Quote:
Also, please note that although my tabletop universe does not have a full minor league system, each of the 12 "Major League" teams has about 15 or 20 minor leaguers assigned to it. Some are at the AAA level, especially if they have had a cup of coffee in the bigs, while most who have no Major League experience are considered to be at AA. The other minor leaguers could be ghost players; I am fine with that because seven players doth not a full team make. However, I would prefer for my created players to have priority over the ghost players in terms of receiving promotions to the next level.
I think you want either 1 or 2 levels of minors. You can customize how many levels you have. I would really recommend using the reserve roster option. It gives you 15+ (you choose) players that do not play games but artificially develop and remain healthy and rust free for call ups to the majors. I think this would fit well with what you seem to be trying to do.

Quote:
Each team also has a manager persona that I would like to simulate somehow in OOTP, but it's not a deal-breaker if I cannot accomplish that.
Not sure what you mean by persona... manager strategies are editable.