Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues > Earlier versions of OOTP: Commissioner's Corner

Earlier versions of OOTP: Commissioner's Corner Want to run an online league? Want to learn about the 'ins' and 'outs' of being a commish? This is the place!

View Poll Results: During a sim, will you make changes for a team? Either requested, or seemingly necessary, changes?
Yes, I'll make changes for a team during a sim. 6 66.67%
No, I won't make changes for a team during a sim. 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Do you execute during-sim changes for teams?

During the course of a sim, will you make changes for a team on whatever day they were requested, or are needed?

For example, if Joe Owner asks you "On the 5th day of the sim, please call up Mickey Pitcher from AAA to the bigs, and send down Lionel Scrubb from the majors to AAA," will you do it?

Or, if both of a team's catchers get injured on the third day of a ten-day sim, do you make some adjustment to compensate?
FL New Orleans Black Sox ’56 ’57 ’58 ’59
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Or, the most obvious example, if a star player is eligible to come off of the DL on the second day of a ten-day sim, will you activate him?
Old 04-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I'm not a commish. It would be nice to have that done but I've never seen it offered.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Refusing to make changes during a sim is unrealistic and it will wreck a league.

You can't make a team play multiple games without a real catcher.

You can't let a star player sit on the DL, when he's healthy and eligible to return.

In a season where one win can make the difference between winning a division and missing the playoffs, every game counts.

A Commish should go through every team before a sim, and make a list of all the players eligible to come off the DL, and activate them when the time comes, and send their replacements back down.

A Commish should check the injury log every day of a sim, and make any necessary roster changes, due to injuries.

We put too much work into creating ideal baseball universes to let them go to seed because we're too lazy or foolish to nurture and cultivate the teams.

A league isn't a clock that you wind, and then walk away from. It's a garden which you constantly tend.
Old 04-04-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchel View Post
Refusing to make changes during a sim is unrealistic and it will wreck a league.

You can't make a team play multiple games without a real catcher.

You can't let a star player sit on the DL, when he's healthy and eligible to return.

In a season where one win can make the difference between winning a division and missing the playoffs, every game counts.

A Commish should go through every team before a sim, and make a list of all the players eligible to come off the DL, and activate them when the time comes, and send their replacements back down.

A Commish should check the injury log every day of a sim, and make any necessary roster changes, due to injuries.

We put too much work into creating ideal baseball universes to let them go to seed because we're too lazy or foolish to nurture and cultivate the teams.

A league isn't a clock that you wind, and then walk away from. It's a garden which you constantly tend.
Wow, pretty powerful words. I've been in a lot of leagues over the years, none of them did this and I can assure you none of them were "Wrecked" because of it. I can also assure you the Commishes were neither lazy nor foolish.

As for players sitting on the DL - leagues I've been in have run the sims in amount of days to coincide with a player coming off the DL. ie: 7 days then 8 days. Since OOTP9 where it's possible to change the length of the DL in game, I see a lot of 7 day sim leagues with a 14 day DL.

Maybe if the league is your entire life, you might do all those things, but a lot of Commishes have real lives and can't dedicate that kind of time to running a sim.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 04-04-2009 at 06:35 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:17 AM   #6
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Wow, pretty powerful words. I've been in a lot of leagues over the years, none of them did this and I can assure you none of them were "Wrecked" because of it. I can also assure you the Commishes were neither lazy nor foolish.
I did not mean to label my fellow Commissioners as lazy or foolish. I apologize for my overly strong wording.

Quote:
Maybe if the league is your entire life, you might do all those things, but a lot of Commishes have real lives and can't dedicate that kind of time to running a sim.
It doesn't take an excessive amount of time to take a couple of players off of the DL for teams, during a sim. Nor does it take long to check the Injury log, and replace a couple of key players.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:43 AM   #7
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've been in a lot of leagues over the years, none of them did this...
I've been in a lot of leagues, too, and the good ones do this.

Quote:
...none of them were "Wrecked" because of it.
What's your definition of "wrecked?" When a team loses a pennant because of an injury snafu which the Commissioner ignores, that's a wreck. What if said season is the cumulation of a five-season stretch of planning and construction, and is the team's only shot at the postseason? At six weeks real-time per season, the Commissioner has just invalidated seven months of an owner's work, because he wouldn't promote a catcher onto a squad which had none; or he wouldn't activate their star slugger in the middle of a sim.

Quote:
As for players sitting on the DL - leagues I've been in have run the sims in amount of days to coincide with a player coming off the DL. ie: 7 days then 8 days. Since OOTP9 where it's possible to change the length of the DL in game, I see a lot of 7 day sim leagues with a 14 day DL.
This works well, when the time remaining on someone's injury at the end of a sim is a multiple of seven.

Quote:
Maybe if the league is your entire life, you might do all those things...
I try to do the little things in my life correctly, my major life priorities aren't the only things I take seriously. Owners dedicate their time and emotions to the leagues we run. I don't waste my owners' investment.

Quote:
...a lot of Commishes have real lives and can't dedicate that kind of time to running a sim.
I assure you that I have a real life as rich as you can imagine.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
snnort
Minors (Triple A)

I too have never seen any league that accepts changes mid sim.

Setting the DL to 14 days (instead of 15 days) for leagues that do sims one week at a time is helpful... and since OOTP 9 leagues have had the ability to change the DL length I've seen this more and more.

I've also never seen it happen that both the catcher AND the back-up are injured in the same week. So it has to be a rather rare occurrence. Obviously it's not impossible, but it's gotta be extremely rare.
snnort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
Irishray

Quote:
Originally Posted by snnort View Post

Setting the DL to 14 days (instead of 15 days) for leagues that do sims one week at a time is helpful... and since OOTP 9 leagues have had the ability to change the DL length I've seen this more and more.

I've also never seen it happen that both the catcher AND the back-up are injured in the same week. So it has to be a rather rare occurrence. Obviously it's not impossible, but it's gotta be extremely rare.
The league that I play in, BTI, does make these kind of changes. We post what we want done when, and the commish does those things during the sim. Not to much work for him I suppose, but it adds a great amount to the realism of the league.

Linux - Xubuntu 23.04 64-Bit
Irishray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The NPBL does it, and so does my Jamaica League.

In all leagues, the Commissioner sits in loco parentis for a league's teams during the sim. Just sitting idly by while the games roll is irresponsible.

Quote:
It is rare. Therefore, the potential work involved for the Commissioner is slight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishray View Post
The league that I play in, BTI, does make these kind of changes. We post what we want done when, and the commish does those things during the sim.
Good to hear that BTI is run sensibly. I come on this board talking about the smart way to do things, and people react like I'm a weirdo who wields some alien concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishray View Post
Not to much work for him I suppose, but it adds a great amount to the realism of the league.
Exactly. In my baseball universe, star players don't sit on the DL after they're healed and ready to play. I can just picture some bizarre world in which pro ball clubs only make roster moves on ten-day (or seven-day, or two-week) intervals.

I can see a Commissioner never realizing that this is the best way to function. I can't see a Commissioner refusing to do this, if he's been asked to; there would be no valid justification.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #11
fhomess
Hall Of Famer

I've been in a number of leagues that will do this. I greatly appreciate it out of my commishes, but I don't necessarily expect it out of the commish.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #12
THE GUT
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchel View Post
Or, the most obvious example, if a star player is eligible to come off of the DL on the second day of a ten-day sim, will you activate him?
IF I was commish, I would do this....not much more midsim, though
THE GUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:12 PM   #13
kcroyalgm
All Star Reserve

The CDL (where I am co-commish) processes all trades at the beginning of the sim and makes whatever roster moves requested by the teams involved in the trade. We also will activate people coming off the DL during the sim and make lineup changes based on owner requests. We sim 15-16 days at a time, so it is more important to offer this kind of support than it would be during a 7-day sim.
kcroyalgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:26 AM   #14
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcroyalgm View Post
The CDL (where I am co-commish) processes all trades at the beginning of the sim and makes whatever roster moves requested by the teams involved in the trade. We also will activate people coming off the DL during the sim and make lineup changes based on owner requests. We sim 15-16 days at a time, so it is more important to offer this kind of support than it would be during a 7-day sim.
Those are all good methods. I can't conceive what good it would do, to wait until a sim is already run, to process a trade, but some leagues do it that way.