Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-22-2020, 10:21 AM   #1
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

What am I doing wrong?

I have a 1 subleague random debut league.
18 teams, 3 divisions, 6 teams in each.

3 division winners qualify for the playoffs.
2 wildcard teams also qualify for playoffs.

The two wildcard teams face each other in a best of 3 series to start the playoffs.

The winner of the wildcard series then faces off against the division winner that finished the season with the leagues best record in a best of seven series. Meanwhile, the two other division winners meet in a best of seven.

The two winners then meet in the best of seven League Championship Series.

I have things set so wildcards are always seeded lowest.
I have it set to use winning percentage.
I have it set to reseed after each round.

Now, based on those setting, I would assume that the team with the best record would always get home field advantage in the League Championship Series no matter what.

But, that's not the case. Everything seems to work like it's supposed to until the League Championship Series. The division winner that finished the season with the best record defeated the wildcard team to earn a trip to the championship series. The division winner that finished the season with the 3rd best record defeated the 2nd best division winner to earn their trip to the championship series.

Problem is, the game gave the team with the 3rd best record home field advantage over the best team. I use 1 subleague setups more often than not and haven't been able to get things right yet.

Good thing is, I finally discovered last night that you can edit the matchup to change homefield advantage. I would still like to know what I'm doing wrong.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:48 AM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Did you have any luck sorting this? I can't figure what causes it. I have something similar, but use 2 sub leagues, 18 teams each, 3 divs of 6 teams. But only div winners and 1 wc make it.

I often have to change the pairings in the first round because the AI will match the WC winner against the top team in that sub league, regardless of div. Other than that, subsequent rounds always set up properly.

As for editing matchups, this has been in game for quite some time now. I think (not positive) Markus put it in when MLB added the 2nd WC, because of the AI not giving correct team home field.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:58 AM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Did you have any luck sorting this? I can't figure what causes it. I have something similar, but use 2 sub leagues, 18 teams each, 3 divs of 6 teams. But only div winners and 1 wc make it.

I often have to change the pairings in the first round because the AI will match the WC winner against the top team in that sub league, regardless of div. Other than that, subsequent rounds always set up properly.

As for editing matchups, this has been in game for quite some time now. I think (not positive) Markus put it in when MLB added the 2nd WC, because of the AI not giving correct team home field.
No, still don't know how to fix it. I probably need to set up a test league that mirrors my current league and use it to fiddle with the post season settings. That way I could fast sim seasons to get to post season and try different settings.

I had never tried the editing tool. Cool thing is, it's very easy to use.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 02:25 PM   #4
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I have a 1 subleague random debut league.
18 teams, 3 divisions, 6 teams in each.

3 division winners qualify for the playoffs.
2 wildcard teams also qualify for playoffs.

The two wildcard teams face each other in a best of 3 series to start the playoffs.

The winner of the wildcard series then faces off against the division winner that finished the season with the leagues best record in a best of seven series. Meanwhile, the two other division winners meet in a best of seven.

The two winners then meet in the best of seven League Championship Series.

I have things set so wildcards are always seeded lowest.
I have it set to use winning percentage.
I have it set to reseed after each round.

Now, based on those setting, I would assume that the team with the best record would always get home field advantage in the League Championship Series no matter what.

But, that's not the case. Everything seems to work like it's supposed to until the League Championship Series. The division winner that finished the season with the best record defeated the wildcard team to earn a trip to the championship series. The division winner that finished the season with the 3rd best record defeated the 2nd best division winner to earn their trip to the championship series.

Problem is, the game gave the team with the 3rd best record home field advantage over the best team. I use 1 subleague setups more often than not and haven't been able to get things right yet.

Good thing is, I finally discovered last night that you can edit the matchup to change homefield advantage. I would still like to know what I'm doing wrong.
Same thing happens to me each year in my Islandian Pro Alliance... homefield advantage is right in round one, but thereafter I have to change the schedule.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:17 PM   #5
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

I have never noticed a problem. But I don't do wild cards.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 10:19 PM   #6
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad K View Post
I have never noticed a problem. But I don't do wild cards.
I don't use wild cards, either.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote