Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:09 AM   #1
Grumpy
Minors (Single A)

Questions about the game

I've not purchased OOTP in a while, as I'm still playing version 17, but now considering there's a big sale on now for 20, I'm wondering if it's worth the price, albeit quite low. Are the graphics good? Is the game buggy? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Is there a big difference in game play from version 17?

Thanks in advance.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:19 PM   #2
Pine Tar
Minors (Double A)

I went from 17 to 20 myself. There are a lot of major changes to the game and it is worth every penny, especially at the price it is now.

The graphics have made a huge improvement, Watching replays now is much more immersive. They have Perfect Team in 20 also, which I enjoy a lot. Steam has it on sale for $10 US and it is a steal at that price. You dig in your furniture or check the coins floating in you car you probably have enuff with that to buy the game.

Pine Tar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes I wonder, whatever happened to all the people I gave directions to ..
Never take a sleeping pill and laxative at the same time.
Pine Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:52 PM   #3
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I've not purchased OOTP in a while, as I'm still playing version 17, but now considering there's a big sale on now for 20, I'm wondering if it's worth the price, albeit quite low. Are the graphics good? Is the game buggy? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Is there a big difference in game play from version 17?

Thanks in advance.
no its not
Old 12-02-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
Grumpy
Minors (Single A)

Thanks for the info...t'is a great price. Still the bugs report and the problems listed here is a little concerning...lol
Old 12-02-2019, 08:37 PM   #5
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

I might post about questionable AI strategies but as far as outright bugs, I've seen few if any in a few hundred hours of play. Now maybe it is because I tend to play a sim that is close to a default quick start and the bugs tend to show up more when you go "outside the box". Or maybe there's just a lot more players now with MLB licensing and so there will be more bug reports than in the past. Either way, bugs have not been a problem in my experience.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:24 PM   #6
Grumpy
Minors (Single A)

Questionable AI strategies? Care to expound please?
Old 12-02-2019, 11:03 PM   #7
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
I might post about questionable AI strategies but as far as outright bugs, I've seen few if any in a few hundred hours of play. Now maybe it is because I tend to play a sim that is close to a default quick start and the bugs tend to show up more when you go "outside the box". Or maybe there's just a lot more players now with MLB licensing and so there will be more bug reports than in the past. Either way, bugs have not been a problem in my experience.
Lol, I just had a crash wiping out an entire simmed season. There is still bugs 6 months later
Old 12-02-2019, 11:40 PM   #8
Grumpy
Minors (Single A)

Hmm...I think I'll pass, there seems to be a few issues. Will wait for 21. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:09 AM   #9
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Quote:
Hmm...I think I'll pass, there seems to be a few issues. Will wait for 21. Thanks for the feedback.
That's a pretty small sample size to inform your decision. Then again we are talking about spending $10, I spent more on lunch today so it's not life altering money here.

I have almost 400 hours on 20 per Steam and I've enjoyed this version a ton. I couldn't imagine going back to 17 now because there is enough new stuff and minor tweaks that make it worth the price.

As someone else said if you play modern day quick start games this runs extremely smooth. Also everyone should be backing up their long term sim because sometimes files get corrupted but that has happened a few times over the years and you live and learn.

But if you can't spare $10 - and I don't know your finances - then I'm not sure what info you needed here to help make a decision.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2019, 03:34 AM   #10
Mat
All Star Reserve

best version yet.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:16 AM   #11
Hasta la vista pelota
Minors (Double A)

I believe tales of "bugs" and "crashes" have more to do with individual operating systems, computers, etc. than the game itself. I've rarely had these problems and the few times I had, it was usually something I did to cause it.

I've found this version of the game as stable as any. If you are not having problems with 17, you probably won't have any with 20. For $10, I wouldn't pass it up unless you're for sure going to get 21 in a few months.
Hasta la vista pelota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:41 AM   #12
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasta la vista pelota View Post
I believe tales of "bugs" and "crashes" have more to do with individual operating systems, computers, etc. than the game itself. I've rarely had these problems and the few times I had, it was usually something I did to cause it.

I've found this version of the game as stable as any. If you are not having problems with 17, you probably won't have any with 20. For $10, I wouldn't pass it up unless you're for sure going to get 21 in a few months.
Yeah, exactly this.

The game itself is by far the most stable version ever, but if someone has issues on their computer or OS, or has not updated critical things like video card drivers, the operating system, etc that will definitely affect stability.

We've kind of reached the point now, where the vast majority of crashes or stuff you'd call "major" bugs are related to the user's system or to conflicts with other programs installed (like anti-virus, anti-malware, VPN's etc) and beyond our control (though we can often still help troubleshoot these if needed), so not really directly game related.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 12-03-2019 at 06:44 AM.
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:57 AM   #13
Grumpy
Minors (Single A)

Don't get me wrong, the price is attractive. However, just because it's inexpensive does not mean it's worth the aggravation of having AI issues and a myriad of bugs. Granted, bugs may be the fault of the user's systems, etc. In my case, I've combed through the bug reports and read a lot of the comments in this discussion, and one particular issue that piqued my interest was the fact that you cannot write to disk large databases which I like to use in Excel.
It does not look like its been addressed.

Again, thanks for the info.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:02 PM   #14
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, the price is attractive. However, just because it's inexpensive does not mean it's worth the aggravation of having AI issues and a myriad of bugs. Granted, bugs may be the fault of the user's systems, etc. In my case, I've combed through the bug reports and read a lot of the comments in this discussion, and one particular issue that piqued my interest was the fact that you cannot write to disk large databases which I like to use in Excel.
It does not look like its been addressed.

Again, thanks for the info.
I doubt that most OOTP users would agree with any characterization of the game as having a myriad of bugs or even of having AI issues. Are there areas where the AI could still improve? Absolutely. Have there been great improvements to the AI in the past few years? Also absolutely.
It is a pretty universal truth that people are more likely to be vocal about complaints than things that are working as expected. Great customer service sometimes gets feedback (and I'm not referring to OOTP here, just in general) but any perceived flaws in service, however insignificant or individualized, are bound to reap negative responses.

Hey, its your money. Do with it what you want. But I would caution you against denying yourself enjoyment just because there are people who have experienced technical glitches (usually very isolated and more about their system or user error) or because there are those who are very vocal about improvements that could be made (and, let's face it, improvements can ALWAYS be made- to EVERYTHING) to the AI, etc.

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:33 PM   #15
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Grumpy, you are missing out on a fine game.
Grumpy, I'm just about impossible to be pleased... I really like perfection.

Buy OOTP19... that is what I play... and it's fine... not perfect.. but OOTP is still a great game !... and has been for years and years... it is one of the great joys of my life...and at 39.99 a year, one of the best bargains of my 79 years of life... 10 cents a day of nothing but pure pleasure... at $9.99 that would be 3 cents a day for great entertainment.

I bought OOTP20 at the full price...I like to support Markus for all the years I have enjoyed his great creation... but I wait until the final patch to switch my long-running dynasty to it... I want it to be as good as it is going to be.

I can only tell you about OOTP19... and it's a wonderful game.

I'm guessing OOTP20 will be just as good.
Can't wait to try it... hope the animation is better than OOTP19... and its darn good in OOTP19.

At least try the OOTP20 demo !
Don't miss the boat !!!!

Last edited by Eugene Church; 12-03-2019 at 11:48 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:48 PM   #16
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
There will ALWAYS be issues. $10. Good grief.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #17
Pine Tar
Minors (Double A)

No game is perfect but a few are very good. This game is one of the very good games and it gets better each year. If you take the price of a game and divide it by the number of hours you play it you get an idea of the game cost. I have spent 15 dollars on a game that I played a couple hours tops. This one I got half price and it was a bargain but I missed playing the whole season along side my favorite team. With live update I could have seen if I could outcoach the coach. That would have cost me pennies per hour. Try going to a movie or out for dinner on pennies per hour.

Just throwing out my view on things and we all have our way of valuing stuff. I think OOTP21 will be released in 3 or 4 months so its not a bad choice to wait. IMHO I think your missing a great bargain.

Enjoy
Pine Tar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes I wonder, whatever happened to all the people I gave directions to ..
Never take a sleeping pill and laxative at the same time.
Pine Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:04 AM   #18
redranger
All Star Reserve

I buy the new version every year without question and have done so since version 1

For how much I play over the course of a year, last time I did the math it equates to less than 10 cents per hour. Tell me anything else you can do for that.

BTW for me I have had zero bug/crash issues expressed by others. Clearly think that is more related to users systems more so than OOTP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:11 AM   #19
redranger
All Star Reserve

For the math. Full price of $34 at a dime an hour is to play 340 hours in a year. (Less than 7 hours a week or 1 hour per day)

This game is so addicting, I typically play at least 2 hours routinely a couple times a week in the off season. During season it is easily a couple hours, three, four, or five times per week

To me better than watching Netflix every night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:00 AM   #20
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Could be the Graphics Card might not have a Gaming one or not like 12 gigs of RAM could be people's problems.