Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-02-2018, 08:31 AM   #1
sreem
All Star Reserve

Turning Off The Red & Green Arrows?

Does anyone know of a way to disable the red & green arrows on the team minor leagues screen?

I find them to be mostly an annoyance and not really sure what they are being based on. I can have two players with the exact same ratings (or close) and one will have an arrow, and the other will not.

I would rather just not have any arrows (they are hard to ignore) and base my promotions/demotions on stats and my own potential evaluation.

Thanks
Old 04-02-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

it's what the mil manager thinks.. .probably how the AI would do things if you delegated.

i woulnd't pay much attention, either.. for the same reasons.. although age is a reason why 2 players with teh exact same ratings might not be in the same appropriate level - but not always, either. let them sink or swim before you make a decisions based on age.

no way that i know of turning that off... you could increas text size and most of it will be truncated on all but the shorter names. this might cause visual issues that you don't like elsewhere, though.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

One solution is to replace the arrow image with a blank image and update your skin.

That is what some people did in the past, it works

Last edited by Bluenoser; 04-02-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

that's using your brain!

it's nice that they let us have access to modify this type of stuff.

they should open up the game hud / interface liek this... with this clientel, you'd get some cool custom made mods for the display and outsource this to the users -- no different than what mmo's have done for a decade or more. no one uses the default UI in an mmo. mods completely made by the userbase too.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:33 AM   #5
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
One solution is to replace the arrow image with a blank image and update your skin.

Nice one, Bn. Never would have thought of that even though I don't mind the arrows. I take them strictly as advisory.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:13 PM   #6
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
it's what the mil manager thinks.. .probably how the AI would do things if you delegated..
I don't think this is true...I am not sure it's based in MiLB manager opinions at all...to me, the entire arrow system feels like generic AI logic...which I cannot stand either BTW. I really wish these arrows would be eliminated also.

If I am wrong about the MiLB manager opinions, it would be a very pleasant surprise.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:14 PM   #7
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

For all of the options in OOTP, it amazes me how hell bent the developers are on keeping this part of the game totally static.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:54 PM   #8
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreem View Post
(they are hard to ignore) and base my promotions/demotions on stats and my own potential evaluation.
Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but how hard is it to ignore something meaningless to you, unless it isn’t? I’ve done fairly well skipping over specific posts in this thread. I’d like them to work a bit differently, too, but my question remains. Really?

Last edited by endgame; 04-02-2018 at 11:59 PM.
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:58 PM   #9
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Not that I necessarily disagree with you, but how hard is to ignore something meaningless to you, unless it isn’t? I’ve done fairly well skipping over specific posts in this thread. I’d like them to work a bit differently, too, but my question remains. Really?
yes. really?
Old 04-03-2018, 12:24 AM   #10
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
yes. really?
Darn. Almost skipped it, you little green arrow, you. Seriously. You can argue the merits of their implementation and presentation, no doubt. My question was with regard to how hard it is to ignore them- quoting specifically the OP to understand why they interfere with his decision-making process -and your one word emotional defense doesn't sway me, although it did succeed in swaying me to respond.

Last edited by endgame; 04-03-2018 at 07:27 AM.
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:05 AM   #11
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Actually, eg, I think the Colonel was echoing your question and point, not arguing with it. I will stand corrected as necessary, of course.

Well, there are things that bother some of us out of proportion to what others would deem important. For example, you know that fuzzy, grey-shadowed font they were using for the play-by-play in the Classic Skin? I am very glad that they fixed that because, although I could read it and eyestrain really wasn't an issue (yet), it bothered me.

But I don't advocate putting in yet another option for the purpose of suppressing the arrows. There are already a plethora of options in this game. So it was good that Bluenoser came up with a workaround.

This is analogous to something else that bothers me about the default game: those silly-looking player mood icons. Here's the similarity: I don't expect OOTPD to change those icons just because I don't like them. I wouldn't even ask because it's a design feature that works for most folks or they disregard their dislike. So instead, I mod the skins with my own custom player mood icons and I am happy.

Recap: The fuzzy font looked like an error and I was supported in my request by several other forum members. The developer saw it and agreed immediately to have it changed. The arrows are a design feature, like the smiley mood icons, and therefore are unlikely to be altered because not enough forum members have a problem with them. Hence the nice feature of being able to modify our own skin files.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 04-03-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #12
texasmame
All Star Starter

*meh*

I kinda like the arrows. I've noticed the AI tends to value those players with green arrows more than none or red arrows for trading purposes.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:55 AM   #13
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Arrows

I'm in the "Keep" red & green arrows bc I think they are there for a specific reason & whether you use them or not is up to you. It's the same for me for people who wanted arm angles or pitchers put in. What purpose does this really serve other than being cosmetic? But I like the option so I'll keep it. Then comes the race issue where some people wanted every race included in the game whether it matters or not. Just bc it can be done or not doesn't make it a good or bad thing.If the people who made this wonderful game thinks it should be there & especially if it supposed to have a purpose, why not? If everybody had their druthers on what should be in or out or optional we'd prolly be dealing with a entirely different product. Great Job OOTP with the RED & Green arrows. I DO use them.

BB
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 11:19 AM   #14
sreem
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Darn. Almost skipped it, you little green arrow, you. Seriously. You can argue the merits of their implementation and presentation, no doubt. My question was with regard to how hard it is to ignore them- quoting specifically the OP to understand why they interfere with his decision-making process -and your one word emotional defense doesn't sway me, although it did succeed in swaying me to respond.
My issue with the arrows is personal preference and presentation, it has nothing to do with my decision making. For example, I have a solid roster at AA with league average to above average stats through august, yet 17 of my 25 players have been stamped with a RED arrow by......???? Not sure who. For me, it is hard to ignore these as I am reviewing my minors, and is just an annoyance that they are there.

It is one of those personal preference things I guess, some in this thread like them or don't care if they are there. I personally don't like them and am not sure why this has never been one of those "on/off" options.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:30 AM   #15
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I suppose one more option is not going to hurt anything. Still, did you / would you consider doing what Bluenoser suggested? Not to stifle you or dismiss your concern, that is. Just curious as to whether that would work.

- Bru

Old 04-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #16
mtopham
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Yeah, I suppose one more option is not going to hurt anything. Still, did you / would you consider doing what Bluenoser suggested? Not to stifle you or dismiss your concern, that is. Just curious as to whether that would work.
As someone who cares less about the arrows - sure, they’re an annoyance - especially with the seemingly random way they appear, I will say this from personal experience:

For some (maybe most?) of the folks here, suggesting custom skinning as the solution is not a solution - we just lack the know how or ability to do so. I see so many posts about people ‘logging in as Admin’ - what does that even mean?

It is certainly discouraging to see an entire minor league team full of red arrows - and certainly hard to ‘ignore’... and yes, there already is a world’s worth of options in the underpinnings of this game, but it wouldn’t be such a bad thing to have a toggle option - maybe in the roster screens pop-up menus - not unlike the hide/show widgets on the game play screen.

Just my 2¢...
Old 04-03-2018, 04:22 PM   #17
JaBurns
All Star Starter

I just use the arrows as a quick guide. Then when I open the player profile there are many WTF’s.....
JaBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:47 PM   #18
Baseballman2K5
Major Leagues

I let my assistant GM handle minor league promotions/demotions and he ignores the arrows too
Baseballman2K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:28 AM   #19
torpidbeaver
Major Leagues

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:

You don’t happen to know if it’s possiblr to mod in extra descriptors for personality levels do you? I’d like to bring back the Very Hifg and Very Low designations to the personality levels. Just a bit more granularity.
torpidbeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #20
sreem
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Considering it, but the visual will problem will remain, just having the arrow replaced with a blank box due to the fact that the roster screens in question are bi-colored.