Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Technical Support > Bug Reports Forum

Bug Reports Forum Have a bug to report? Please post here.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:29 PM   #61
Tieran
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
Yes to both questions. Good eye!

We had some ratings inflation creep into the set in previous years which caused some issues in longer term sims and just wasn't all that accurate. So we've done a lot of work to fix that this year.

Now the potential ratings (when using relative ratings by 5's) should correlate pretty well with what you see from places like MLB Pipeline, fangraphs etc.

So you might need to adjust your expectations on what ratings are good and bad now but things should overall be better and more accurate and realistic now than in previous years.
Is this going to have any effect on importing from OOTP 18? If I import a sim is it suddenly going to be giving me one star prospects in relative terms in the draft?
Tieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:45 PM   #62
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tieran View Post
Is this going to have any effect on importing from OOTP 18? If I import a sim is it suddenly going to be giving me one star prospects in relative terms in the draft?
No, it only has anything to do with players in the roster set. Fictional player generation didn't change at all.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:50 PM   #63
Aaron's Aron
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Yes to both questions. Good eye!

We had some ratings inflation creep into the set in previous years which caused some issues in longer term sims and just wasn't all that accurate. So we've done a lot of work to fix that this year.

Now the potential ratings (when using relative ratings by 5's) should correlate pretty well with what you see from places like MLB Pipeline, fangraphs etc.

So you might need to adjust your expectations on what ratings are good and bad now but things should overall be better and more accurate and realistic now than in previous years.
Okay, thanks for letting me know. I still have gripes about a couple of players (Hunter Greene and a lot of the other risky but high upside guys), but those are just my opinion and in general the ratings make much more sense in that case. Thank you very much!
Aaron's Aron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:54 PM   #64
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron's Aron View Post
Okay, thanks for letting me know. I still have gripes about a couple of players (Hunter Greene and a lot of the other risky but high upside guys), but those are just my opinion and in general the ratings make much more sense in that case. Thank you very much!
Greene's a 65 overall future potential in-game (relative ratings, all positions). That's actually higher than I think you'll find he is on MLB Pipeline or Fangraphs or most other prospect sites.

That being said, I'm always open to hearing arguments on who might need to be changed and why.

But just make sure to view guys in context of the entire league. I think he comes in at like 29 on the top 100 prospect list, pretty much exactly where most of the major sources have him. So if you argue Greene should be a 75 overall fv f.e., that would mean he'd shoot up to 5 or 10 or maybe even 1 and then we'd need to boost the potentials of 20-30 other guys as well to match and have him show up in the proper place on prospect lists and in comparison to his peers.

Then we'd quickly end up back where we were last year

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 03-19-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:59 PM   #65
hjrrockies
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Greene's a 65 overall future potential in-game (relative ratings, all positions). That's actually higher than I think you'll find he is on MLB Pipeline or Fangraphs or most other prospect sites.

That being said, I'm always open to hearing arguments on who might need to be changed and why.

But just make sure to view guys in context of the entire league. If you argue Greene should be a 75 overall fv f.e., that would mean we'd need to boost the potentials of 30 other guys as well to match and have him show up in the proper place on prospect lists and in comparison to his peers.

My recommendation to people who want Hunter Greene to have an even more elite ceiling while also being ranked correctly among prospects is to increase the Talent Change Randomness modifier.
hjrrockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:11 PM   #66
Aaron's Aron
Minors (Single A)

Cool

Quote:

But just make sure to view guys in context of the entire league. If you argue Greene should be a 75 overall fv f.e., that would mean we'd need to boost the potentials of 30 other guys as well to match and have him show up in the proper place on prospect lists and in comparison to his peers.

I'm not really requesting their ratings be changed, I'm just nitpicking because everything else about the game is so good. The ratings of all the players as whole is really good too and I appreciate all the time that goes into doing them. The Top 100 Prospects list in game is really good, comparing really well with lists such as Baseball America, etc.

High upside but risky players in general must be hard to get right in the game because you don't want to make the ratings too good so that most don't all pan out and there's a wave of great players (when most would bust in real life), but you also want to represent the talent and what could be there.

Hunter Greene just comes to mind first because I'm a Reds fan. He could be one of the best pitchers in baseball, which I feel like is much more than 65. I understand that most outlets have him around there though (or lower, but with acknowledgement he could be higher). It's more likely he averages out around 60-65 though and doesn't reach peak potential, so it makes sense. But if you were going on pure upside, Hunter Greene would be much higher than around #30 on most prospect lists? It's a tough thing to do in the game I feel and it certainly applies to many more players other than him.

Last edited by Aaron's Aron; 03-19-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:13 PM   #67
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

One minor gripe, won't necessarily matter to me as I'll be taking over as manager but Aaron Boone's personality for the Yankees is disciplinarian, which I dont think is accurate at all. The Yankees hired him to be the opposite of a disciplinarian I think and I think would be better served as a personable personality type, or neutral if that works better since he hasn't even managed an official MLB game yet
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:18 PM   #68
hjrrockies
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
I'm not really requesting their ratings be changed, I'm just nitpicking because everything else about the game is so good. The ratings of all the players as whole is really good too and I appreciate all the time that goes into doing them. The Top 100 Prospects list in game is really good, comparing really well with lists such as Baseball America, etc.

High upside but risky players in general must be hard to get right in the game because you don't want to make the ratings too good so that most don't all pan out and there's a wave of great players (when most would bust in real life), but you also want to represent the talent and what could be there.

Hunter Greene just comes to mind first because I'm a Reds fan. He could be one of the best pitchers in baseball, which I feel like is much more than 65. I understand that most outlets have him around there though (or lower, but with acknowledgement he could be higher). It's more likely he averages out around 60-65 though and doesn't reach peak potential, so it makes sense. But if you were going on pure upside, Hunter Greene would be much higher than around #30 on most prospect lists? It's a tough thing to do in the game I feel and it certainly applies to many more players other than him.
I highly recommend you increase Talent Change Randomness. That basically means prospects become even more boom-or-bust (which I think is realistic). That way Greene will indeed have a higher chance of becoming a genuine ace (although a higher bust chance as well).
hjrrockies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:19 PM   #69
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:

Yeah all that is reasonable and I appreciate the thoughts. As you say, it's definitely not easy to get right.

That being said, we don't rank the lists on pure upside. If anything I think we value polish a little too much still on they lists (though less than we did last year, which is part of why we were able to lower the potentials for the high upside guys. Last year they had to be overrated to get them to slot in higher than much more modest guys who shouldn't have been valued as highly as we ranked them).

So yes, technically you're right in that making him a 65 makes him more of a potential deGrom or Darvish than it does a potential Kershaw or Kluber.

That being said, no prospect get that sort of potential rating of 80 or "potential future HOFer". Kershaw was not an 80 prospect when he was a prospect, he was probably a 60. Same for Syndergaard, Sale whoever. Trout wasn't an 80 prospect either.

Remember, guys get potential boost as well as hits. The guys who end up being 80's are the guys who get boosts. But if you set a guy to have 80 potential and the he gets boosts, where does he go from there? He becomes better than anyone should be in the set.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 03-19-2018 at 06:22 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:26 PM   #70
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

Royals: For Challenge Mode--- hard enough with this team rated as is....

Owner is not penny pincher and hasn't been for YEARS. Payroll history is mid to upper half of MLB. Payroll for their market size is HIGH.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:28 PM   #71
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrop01 View Post
Royals: For Challenge Mode--- hard enough with this team rated as is....

Owner is not penny pincher and hasn't been for YEARS. Payroll history is mid to upper half of MLB. Payroll for their market size is HIGH.
I don't believe we can actually change that in the roster editor. Will try to see if that field can be added.

Old 03-19-2018, 06:34 PM   #72
Aaron's Aron
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Yeah all that is reasonable and I appreciate the thoughts. As you say, it's definitely not easy to get right.

That being said, we don't rank the lists on pure upside. If anything I think we value polish a little too much still on they lists (though less than we did last year, which is part of why we were able to lower the potentials for the high upside guys. Last year they had to be overrated to get them to slot in higher than much more modest guys who shouldn't have been valued as highly as we ranked them).

So yes, technically you're right in that making him a 65 makes him more of a potential deGrom or Darvish than it does a potential Kershaw or Kluber.

That being said, no prospect get that sort of potential rating of 80 or "potential future HOFer". Kershaw was not an 80 prospect when he was a prospect, he was probably a 60. Same for Syndergaard, Sale whoever. Trout wasn't an 80 prospect either.

Remember, guys get potential boost as well as hits. The guys who end up being 80's are the guys who get boosts. But if you set a guy to have 80 potential and the he gets boosts, where does he go from there? He becomes better than anyone should be in the set.
Thank you, I'm glad you appreciate my thoughts. I appreciate yours as well!

What you're saying definitely makes sense. The best players aren't always the one's we expect, and we definitely don't want too many 75-80s panning out at one time. I didn't think about the fact that an 80 getting boosts would break the scale, so that was a good point as well. Thank you for the discussion!
Old 03-19-2018, 08:55 PM   #73
azepeda
Minors (Double A)

Justin Verlander touches on 100-101 but his pitch velocity says 94-96. Shouldn't his velocity be a little higher than 94-96?
azepeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:08 PM   #74
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by azepeda View Post
Justin Verlander touches on 100-101 but his pitch velocity says 94-96. Shouldn't his velocity be a little higher than 94-96?
The ratings in OOTP are what a guy sits at. Verlander sits at 94-96 in real life.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/landing.php?player=434378
https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.asp...700&position=P

You'll see in-game that guys will touch higher velocities than their rating says.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:27 PM   #75
aks62
Major Leagues

Phillies Owner Update

The Phillies' primary owner these days is John Middleton, not David Montgomery. Montgomery stepped down a few years back.

I don't know Middleton's birth date, but he's currently 62 years old, according to a recent Philadelphia Inquirer article.

Could this please be reflected in new updates?

Source: http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20180226.html
aks62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:30 PM   #76
aks62
Major Leagues

Tommy Joseph is now a Texas Ranger, for what it's worth.

Also: it's weird, but Jake Arrieta's contract with the Phillies includes team options at $20M for each of 2021 and 2022 that they can activate at any time in place of his opt-out after 2019. Is there any way to reflect that?
Old 03-19-2018, 10:31 PM   #77
aks62
Major Leagues

I also posted that John Middleton (age 62) is the principal Phillies owner, not David Montgomery. Don't know his DOB, but here's an article verifying Middleton's age and status:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20180226.html

Montgomery stepped back a few years ago when he came down with jaw cancer.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:31 PM   #78
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks62 View Post
Tommy Joseph is now a Texas Ranger, for what it's worth.

Also: it's weird, but Jake Arrieta's contract with the Phillies includes team options at $20M for each of 2021 and 2022 that they can activate at any time in place of his opt-out after 2019. Is there any way to reflect that?
Joseph just switched today, we'll get that.

I was trying to figure out if we could make Arrieta's contract work out right, but I don't think so...

Old 03-19-2018, 10:33 PM   #79
aks62
Major Leagues

Sorry to bombard you!

Carlos Santana's team option buyout for 2021 is worth $500,000, not zero.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:35 PM   #80
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks62 View Post
I also posted that John Middleton (age 62) is the principal Phillies owner, not David Montgomery. Don't know his DOB, but here's an article verifying Middleton's age and status:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20180226.html

Montgomery stepped back a few years ago when he came down with jaw cancer.
Thanks, added him as the Phillies owner.