Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 11-24-2017, 12:07 PM   #1
majesty95
All Star Starter

Historical Challenge Help

This is a pretty interesting feature and was the first thing I jumped into when I got the game. Unfortunately, it's also making me want to quit playing the game My dilemma is that I do not play out each game and cannot seem to win consistently by simmimg each game (I also don't see how you could complete 5-6 season challenges playing out every game BTW lol).

I started with the Caps challenge and got five season through but only made the playoffs once and was bounced in the first round. Every other year I round up with a Top 10 pick. I tried upgrading my coaches. I even got a team that was mostly 60-70 game grades throughout the season and still I was only winning about 25 games.

My goalies haven't been great and I'm sure that part of the problem. Yet one year I had Phil Housley, Scott Stevens, Larry Murphy and Al Iafrate on D with Mike Bossy, Mike Gartner, Pat Lafontaine, Bobby Carpenter, Petr Klima and Wndell Clark as my top 2 lines. We (barely) made the playoffs and lost in the first round. Then started like 15-25 the next year and I sold everyone off. I don't get it

I think another part of my dilemma is that I'm the GM and Head Coach and really just want to be GM. I didn't mess with my global tactics at all and pretty much let my assistant make the lines/tactics. The year we went 15-25 is the first year I tried doing the lines myself and we got worse so I'm kind of feeling like throwing in the towel. Figured I'd see if I could get some pointers on here first before doing so! Any help is appreciated!
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

My first guess, going by the mention of goaltending problems and the guys you listed, is some serious defensive issues. The actual Capitals had their best seasons in this period when they were one of the best defensive teams in the league. The challenge starts with Langway, Engblom, and a young Stevens on D, so you've got a good core to build around, but the goaltending needs immediate help; Al Jensen's not going to get you to the finals. You're going to want a solid 3+ star guy in goal. Don't get too offense-oriented with your tactics, even though it's the 80's. And it sounds like you're making a lot of player moves - try to keep things a little more stable so chemistry can develop between players.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #3
majesty95
All Star Starter

That definitely helps! Yeah I know that goalie was an issue and tried to upgrade but was hard to get a decent goalie to upgrade to. Also wasted a 1st round pick on Hasek before I realized those guys wouldn't sign lol. I also made a TON o deals so probably killed chemistry. Although my best season was when I added Bossy and nothing significant changed the next year and we got worse I'll give it another go and see if I can figure it out.

Is there any detriment to just simmimg your games? I imagine that the Islanders and Oilers are having the "AI" set up everything for them too so figured if I got the right players we could win too. Am I able to get an actual head coach in challenge mode or will I always be in control of both GM and Head Coach duties?

Thanks again for the reply!
Old 11-24-2017, 01:47 PM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

Challenge mode is GM/Head Coach only right now. I think we may need to consider changing that at some point. Simming your games will basically be playing your AI against their AI, so it's roughly a level playing field, but you're losing the advantage of being able to make more flexible decisions during a game than the AI can. If you make it to the playoffs, I'd consider playing most of the games out, or at least the critical ones.
Old 11-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #5
majesty95
All Star Starter

Makes sense. Aagain, super helpful. Having you guys on the forum interacting is one of the things I love about the OOTP brand! Thank and happy holidays!
Old 11-24-2017, 01:55 PM   #6
majesty95
All Star Starter

I will add, one of the mistakes I made was acquiring a lot of guys who took a lot of penalties. I like the fights and 300 PIM guys. However, with a lineup of Bob Probert, Wendel Clark, Torrie Robertson, Marty McSorley, DinonCiccarelli, Claude Lemieux, Scott Stevens and Tomas Sandstrom, I was at a huge disadvantage. I finished 3rd in PIM/G and was 7th worst in PK%. Live and learn!
Old 11-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #7
JeffR
FHM Producer

Well, with all the fighting and scoring, it would've been a fun team to watch even if they didn't win.
Old 11-24-2017, 03:03 PM   #8
majesty95
All Star Starter

That's true! I think I was building a team that was fun to watch more than capable of winning lol. I do have a question... How do you know if a foreign player is able to be signed after being drafted? It seems as its best to avoid anyone not from the US or Canada? I haven't been able to find anything that specifies whether they're singable or not. I've probably drafted 15-20 of them and only was ever able to get one to sign so far...
Old 11-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #9
majesty95
All Star Starter

So I took your advice and focus on defense and goal tending. I traded for Doug Gilmour and John Vanbiesbrouk. I also changed my tactics and took control of all of my roster and lineup decisions. The results so far are below

Last edited by majesty95; 11-24-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:34 PM   #10
majesty95
All Star Starter

Here's my settings in case anyone is interested in the turnaround

Old 11-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #11
majesty95
All Star Starter

Just an update. I went on to beat the Oilers (who had won 5-of-last-6 Stanley Cups) in finals. I then started out 21-5 the next season. I'm starting to think it's too easy now haha
Old 11-27-2017, 04:45 PM   #12
Lord PichuPal
All Star Reserve

I just hired a head coach in my game like I always do to handle the tactics and such. The only problem I had is that when I did complete a challenge, it didn't unlock. Though it also tried to claim I got it winning a pre-season game my first year but never did either, so I don't know. I don't think it hurts to sim through games though. I'm not really well versed in tactics anyway.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:06 AM   #13
JeffR
FHM Producer

Which challenge was it that didn't unlock?