Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2018, 11:49 AM   #2281
Outlaw Jim
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlumpkin1@tampabay.rr.com View Post
Hello. Are there any known photos of William D. Smith. He was Drafted by the Reds in 1970. He attended Hope Mills High School N.C. Graduated 1970. Could not find high school in classmates.com.
I have not been able to find any - searched newspaper archives and still nothing. The draft list had a link to a photo but it was not the same player. The best bet would be to contact the school and see if they had a yearbook for that year and see if they would print out a page or two for you. I did this once and some schools keep a copy of past yearbooks.

James
Old 07-11-2018, 10:18 PM   #2282
rlumpkin1@tampabay.rr.com
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw Jim View Post
I have not been able to find any - searched newspaper archives and still nothing. The draft list had a link to a photo but it was not the same player. The best bet would be to contact the school and see if they had a yearbook for that year and see if they would print out a page or two for you. I did this once and some schools keep a copy of past yearbooks.

James
Were did you find the draft list with the link to the photo?
rlumpkin1@tampabay.rr.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:11 AM   #2283
Outlaw Jim
Major Leagues

I just put his name and "mlb draft" and the page came up. The link to the player photo was not him though. Could not find him anywhere.

http://http://www.baseball-almanac.c...ft.php?yr=1970

This was the photo on the link - obviously not the same player and the trading card database did not have any cards with his image.
Attached Images

Last edited by Outlaw Jim; 07-12-2018 at 03:25 AM.
Outlaw Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:07 PM   #2284
Home Free
Minors (Triple A)

Colorized Phenoms of the 60s

The skills of Zappa were turned towards a few images of career minor leaguers for me recently and I want again to share them with you (with his blessing and my thanks).

Bob Nash had a huge first pro season with the Red Sox Class A club in Wellsville of the NYP League in 1964, was drafted by the Phillies in an arcade "first-year draft" that was then part the Rule V, but a knee injury caused him to spend all of 1965 on a major league DL, before two tough minor league years in the Phillies and Twins systems.

Name:  64_Bob_Nash_BOS OF.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  81.6 KB

Jim Jenkins spent six years in the Twins system, four of them as a utility infielder in AA and AAA, the last as an effective reliever in Class A. But 1970 would be his last hurrah.

Name:  68_Jim_Jenkins_MIN IONF.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  104.7 KB

Baseball's records show that Terry Hadlock, a left-handed hitting catcher, was an undrafted free agent who spent an abbreviated season in Class A for the Braves in 1967. But in York County, Maine, right on the New Hampshire line, Hadlock was a local legend until his death in 2014 at age 67. This was probably spring of 1968 -- a camp that would be his last.

Name:  67 Terry Hadlock ATL C.jpg
Views: 1086
Size:  187.9 KB
Home Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:17 AM   #2285
Cusick
Hall Of Famer

Ed Veto

The death of anyone is a sad thing, but I've followed the political scene for so long that I hope you'll permit me a small chuckle when I read that Mr. Veto died. (Did he get a 2/3 vote in both houses of Congress?)

On the serious side, Ed Veto was a fine pitcher who enjoyed only one year in the minors, but he had a good one. With the Red Sox minor league affiliate at Milford, DE of the Eastern Shore League in 1946, he had a 3-2 record with a 2.81 ERA.

Ed Veto had a long life, nearly reaching the age of 95. He was born on Nov. 15, 1923 and died on July 13, 2018. He was from Springfield, Massachusetts, and attended American International College. He was a World War II veteran.

The photo on the left comes from his obituary. The photo on the right is from the Springfield (MA) Union of July 8, 1948. It shows him with the Smith and Wesson industrial league team. He was employed with that firm for most of his life.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=veto--001edw
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Cusick; 07-18-2018 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Add second photo.
Cusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:21 PM   #2286
Cusick
Hall Of Famer

George Treadwell - Duluth Bus Crash

There has been a fair amount of discussion this week in remembrance of the crash 70 years ago (July 24, 1948) of the bus carrying the Duluth Dukes minor league team. Five members of the team died in that crash. Those losing their lives were manager George "Red" Treadwell, who was driving the bus, and four players.

The accident occurred when an ice truck entered the oncoming lane coming up a hill on a two-lane highway. Treadwell did not see the ice truck until it was too late. Treadwell was killed instantaneously.

The photo shows Treadwell in the uniform of the 1930 Moline Plows. It is from the Canton (OH) Repository of Sept. 8, 1930.

In his playing days, Treadwell was a catcher, and he made the Braves' spring roster in 1931. He was a minor league manager for 13 seasons.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=treadw002geo
Attached Images
Old 07-28-2018, 05:06 PM   #2287
FatJack
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Free View Post
Bob Nash had a huge first pro season with the Red Sox Class A club in Wellsville of the NYP League in 1964, was drafted by the Phillies in an arcade "first-year draft" that was then part the Rule V, but a knee injury caused him to spend all of 1965 on a major league DL, before two tough minor league years in the Phillies and Twins systems.
Just to be clear, here. Nash was drafted by the Mets in the '64 Rule V and was on their major league DL in '65. The Phillies picked him up on waivers when the Mets tried to sneak him through to make room on the 40-man roster for some kid named Yogi Berra. As Casey Stengel would say, "You could look it up."

(Mets yearbook photo attached)
Attached Images
FatJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:05 AM   #2288
Hall Of Famer

Mike Dave Ginn/ Jerry Merchant

1968 Kansas city Royals Draft Pick Dave Ginn /Jerry Merchant. My custom cards
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by rlumpkin1@tampabay.rr.com; 08-04-2018 at 12:01 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:01 AM   #2289
Cusick
Hall Of Famer

Royals' 1968 Draft

The Kansas City Times of June 7, 1968 listed the above draftee as David Ginn.
Attached Images
Old 08-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #2290
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusick View Post
The Kansas City Times of June 7, 1968 listed the above draftee as David Ginn.
Thanks. Do you have that whole listing of this newspaper clipping on the 68 Royals draft. If possible please post if you have the whole listing.
I see some that list the high school or college that is not listed in baseball reference. I can use that to research on finding these players from there yearbooks. Thanks so much

Last edited by rlumpkin1@tampabay.rr.com; 08-03-2018 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 07:50 AM   #2291
Cusick
Hall Of Famer

Royals 1968 Draft - Part II

Here is the rest of the list.
Attached Images
Old 08-04-2018, 12:26 PM   #2292
Hall Of Famer

Terry Hadlock

Here is Terry Hadlock 1967 and 1968 custom using Zappas Colorization
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by rlumpkin1@tampabay.rr.com; 08-04-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:15 PM   #2293
rmorgart
Bat Boy

Wow this is a tough image to find. Does anyone know how I could obtain an original? I'm actually friends with Fred Katawczik. He loves to talk baseball and has lots of great memories of his brush with the big leagues. Apparently he and about 7 of his teammates in the minors were notified that they were high on the draft board for military service so they chose to enlist. Fred served in the Army and that was basically the end of his baseball career at just 21 years old.
rmorgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #2294
rmorgart
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkle923 View Post
This is a horrible low-resolution image from the early stages of the Topps Vault - anybody seen a cleaner version?

Katawczik was one of the last players chosen by the Padres in the 1968 N.L. Expansion (from Cincinnati) and never reached the majors - but he did get to their camp.
Wow this is a tough image to find. Does anyone know how I could obtain an original? I'm actually friends with Fred Katawczik. He loves to talk baseball and has lots of great memories of his brush with the big leagues. Apparently he and about 7 of his teammates in the minors were notified that they were high on the draft board for military service so they chose to enlist. Fred served in the Army and that was basically the end of his baseball career at just 21 years old.
rmorgart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 03:45 PM   #2295
Cusick
Hall Of Famer

Fred Katawczik

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorgart View Post
Here is a high school yearbook photo of Fred Katawczik.

As for an original of the photo showing him with the Padres, my only suggestion is that you periodically Google "ebay.com topps vault" and check what they are displaying. They might have the original for sale at some point, if it has not already been sold. They sell hundreds of photos, so it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Fred Katawczik was listed on the San Diego Padres 40-man roster in 1969 when they brought him to their camp.
Attached Images
Old 09-04-2018, 08:56 PM   #2296
Brownieand45sfan
Bat Boy

That's Conk in a Cardinals uniform

he apparently was on the bench but never used somewhere between '44 and 46. Probably in '46 when he was on roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONN CHRIS View Post
Conklyn Meriwether (unsure as to which team he is pictured with - he was well traveled)

Conklyn Meriwether Minor League Statistics & History - Baseball-Reference.com
Brownieand45sfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #2297
Outlaw Jim
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cusick View Post
Here is a high school yearbook photo of Fred Katawczik.

As for an original of the photo showing him with the Padres, my only suggestion is that you periodically Google "ebay.com topps vault" and check what they are displaying. They might have the original for sale at some point, if it has not already been sold. They sell hundreds of photos, so it will be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Fred Katawczik was listed on the San Diego Padres 40-man roster in 1969 when they brought him to their camp.
Saw this image today and I was wondering what he would look like a bit older. I brought this image into facegen and added the typical aging features and this is what I created - not the surprising part I did not do a search on the internet and thought that there has to be an image of him and there is one on page 45 of thread. I will post this next to my version and you will be shocked how similar they are.... kind of creeped me out a bit.... I misjudged the weight, thought he would be a bit heavier due to an athletic frame and this caused me to give him too large of a mouth also. Otherwise I was surprised. I have been doing facegens and in some of my leagues I have players playing that are older in my league than their true current age. I have a technique to age them and now I find that it may be pretty accurate... You can see this was done from the high school yearbook photo.. Sorry wrong thread to post this, but I was so shocked on how well turned out I wanted to share it here also.....

James
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Attached Files
File Type: fg Katawczik,Fred.fg (7.1 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by Outlaw Jim; 09-08-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Outlaw Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #2298
Pinetarpress
Major Leagues

Does anyone have a photo of former LSU baseball player and Royals/Yankees minor leaguer C Duane Dewey.....thanks
Pinetarpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 09:44 PM   #2299
Cusick
Hall Of Famer

Vada Corbus - Female Player

I had heard of Jackie Mitchell previously as a female player in pro baseball, but today I stumbled on Vada Corbus, who was a new one to me. She signed to play with the Class C Joplin Miners of the Western Association in 1931, making her the second female in organized professional baseball. She does not appear in baseball-reference.com. I'm not sure that she ever got into a regular season minor league game, though the Miners carried her on their roster for quite a while. Her signing was announced near the end of April, 1931, and made the newspapers all over the country. She was still with the team on July 7, when the Joplin News Herald reported that she would be making her first appearance in the Miners' lineup that day. The scheduled game was an exhibition between the Miners and a touring all-pro girls outfit.

Vada's brother was Luke Corbus, who played for the Joplin Miners for a couple of seasons and who does appear in baseball-reference.com. The link to his record follows:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=corbus001lew

Three photos of Vada Corbus are shown below. As can be seen from the middle photo, she was a catcher.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 09-14-2018, 10:07 PM   #2300
Cusick
Hall Of Famer

Duane Dewey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinetarpress View Post
Does anyone have a photo of former LSU baseball player and Royals/Yankees minor leaguer C Duane Dewey.....thanks
The black & white photo shows Duane Dewey with the Fort Myers Royals, and is from the Fort Myers News-Press of March 10, 1983. The color photo is from a website called kcroyalhistory.com, and I didn't make note of when I picked that one up.

Duane Dewey was a non-roster invitee with the Kansas City Royals in 1981. In 1983, he became a member of the Sharman Society by joining the KC Royals during the regular season, but never getting into a major league game.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=dewey-001dua
Attached Images
Image Image