Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 02-09-2021, 07:44 PM   #221
DD Martin
All Star Reserve

Opening Week Road Trip

We dropped our home opener to Philadelphia 9-5 in front of a crowd of 23,962. It was not the way that I imagined the season to get started. As the team got on the train and was preparing to leave to go to Philadelphia I got a strange call from my wife. She wanted me to come home right away. So even though I was planning to head out on the trip with the team, I have always made it my first priority to be there for my family. I let Rick know that I would be not going with the team and was surprised to see Elmer back up from Florida in Rick's office. There was an uneasy tension in the air but I didn't let it distract me as I needed to get home and see what was going on.....

Cleveland Foresters 4 @ Philadelphia Sailors 5
Foresters Come Up Short at Philadelphia, 5-4

Philadelphia Sailors starter Oscar Morse was in a groove as he led his team to a win over the Cleveland Foresters, 5-4. Morse went the distance for Philadelphia. He gave up 4 runs on 9 hits. Philadelphia goes to 2-0.

The Sailors got a big at-bat from third baseman Mack Deal. For the game, Deal was 1 for 4 with a home run. He drove in 4 runs and scored once. In the bottom of the fifth, with runners on 1st and 2nd, he stroked a 3-run home run. His 1st home run of the season gave Philadelphia a 5-2 lead.

"You can never predict what'll happen," Deal said. "That's why you play the game."

WP - Oscar Morse 1-0 3.00 (9IP 9H 4R 3ER 2BB 3K)
LP - Eddie Quinn 0-1 4.50 (8IP 9H 5R 4ER 5BB 3k)
HR - (Cl) Fred Quinn 1st, (Phil) Mack Deal 1st

Cleveland Foresters 8 @ Philadelphia Sailors 2
Foresters Win at Philadelphia, 8-2
The Cleveland Foresters beat the Philadelphia Sailors, 8-2, at Sailors Memorial Stadium. Cleveland first baseman Max Morris had an outstanding performance. He went 4 for 5 with 4 singles. He scored 2 times and drove in 2. Roger Perry was the winning pitcher. Over 7 innings, he allowed 2 runs on 4 hits, with 6 walks and 2 strikeouts. Philadelphia drops to 2-1.

Cleveland used a well-timed hit by Dan Fowler to capture the win. The center fielder socked a 2-run double in the top of the fifth inning to put the Foresters ahead, 4-2. Though it was his only hit in 3 at-bats, it was important.

"Winning is hard sometimes," said Foresters manager Jim Wilson. "This one was nice to get."

WP - Roger Perry 1-0 2.57 (7IP 4H 2R 2ER 6BB 2K)
LP - Russ Reel 0-1 11.12 (5.2IP 15H 7R 7ER 3BB 1K)
HR - None

Cleveland Foresters 13 @ Chicago Cougars 9
Foresters Mound a Furious Comeback in 9th as Dawson Lifts Foresters to 13-9 Win
Foresters shortstop George Dawson put his stamp on his team's 13-9 win over the Chicago Cougars. Dawson went 4 for 5 with a home run, 3 singles, and a walk, while scoring 3 runs and driving in 3 for Cleveland in the contest. Frank Phillips, now 1-0, was credited with the win. He allowed 3 runs on 2 hits, while striking out 0 and walking 1. Chicago falls to 2-2.

The game was at a stalemate until right fielder Fred Quinn came to bat in the top of the ninth. Facing Chicago pitcher Don Grossman, he hit a 2-2 slider for a run-scoring single. It was a game-changer, putting Cleveland on top, 10-9.

"This game had a little bit of everything," said Quinn.

WP - Frank Phillips 1-0 18.00 ERA
LP - Don Grossman 0-1 45.00 ERA
HR - (Cl) George Dawson 1st, TR Goins 1st, (CH) Tom Taylor 2nd, Doc Love 1st

Cleveland Foresters 11 @ Chicago Cougars 4
Foresters Right Ship, Win, Barry has 4 hit day
Cleveland third baseman Charlie Barry made his presence felt in the 11-4 Foresters triumph over the Chicago Cougars. Barry was 4 for 4 with a home run, 3 singles, and a walk. He scored 2 runs and drove in 4. The win puts Cleveland at 3-2.

With Cleveland leading 1-0 in the top of the first, Barry hit a 2-run single off Chicago hurler Dave Rankin. It was the 8th hit of the season for Barry and put his team ahead, 3-0.

"Win or lose, we pick each other up in this clubhouse," Barry told the Cleveland P-I.

WP - Lee Drouillard 1-0 3.18 (5.2IP 5H 2R 2ER 2BB 4K)
LP - Dave Rankin 1-1 5.40 (6IP 11H 7R 4ER 3BB 2K)
HR - (Cl) Fred Quinn 2nd, Charlie Barry 1st (CH) Tom Taylor 3rd

Cleveland Foresters 7 @ Chicago Cougars 8
Cougars Beat Cleveland, 8-7

The 8-7 Chicago win over Cleveland was due largely to Tom Taylor. The Cougars center fielder was 3 for 5 with 3 singles, while adding 5 RBI and scoring once. The loss drops the Foresters to 3-3.

The game was all tied up in the bottom of the eighth, until Taylor delivered big-time for Chicago, stroking a dramatic 2-run single off Frank Phillips. The game-changing hit put the Cougars on top, 8-6.

"We maximized our offense today," said Chicago skipper Jim Cathey. "That makes everyone's life easier."

WP - Ace McSherry 1-0 6.75
LP - Frank Phillips 1-1 18.00
HR - (Cl) Max Morris 1st, George Dawson 2nd

Comments - So the team ends the first week of the season at 3-3. It is a little strange seeing SS George Dawson higher on the home run leaderboard over 1B Max Morris 2-1. Not sure if Dawson eat his Wheaties this spring or if he found some sort of elixir of strength, but I'm sure that won't last too long.

It is worth noting the rough start of the season for SP Dean Astle who is 0-1 in 2 starts with an ERA of 9.49. He gave up a staggering 5 walks in the first outing and only 2 this time so the home is that he is just working out the kinks a bit to start the season.

While we are only 3-3 on the season we have outscored teams 48-37 so far. We look forward to what next week at home to really hopefully getting the season going.

Next - Week 2 of the Season and the start of a home stand
DD Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:02 PM   #222
DD Martin
All Star Reserve

The Winds of Change are Blowing

The Cleveland P-I
Sports Desk
By Ronald William Apter
Monday April 22nd, 1935

Detroit Makes a Change

Today the Detroit Dynamos announced a change was being made in their front office as they have decided to take the team in a new direction. Comments out of Detroit are pretty scarce right now but it appears that the team ownership was not pleased with where the club was and while they have been patient they will be looking for a new GM. No word yet on who will be going to Detroit, but the league has seen a fair bit of musical GM chairs this year so could they be targeting a current GM or one of the more successful ones out in the Great Western or Union Leagues.

The Cleveland P-I
Sports Desk
By Ronald William Apter
Monday April 29th, 1935

The defending World Series Champion Cleveland Foresters had a week at home that they would like to forget. The team played 6 home games against the Philadelphia Sailors and Chicago Cougars and lost all 6 games, and most were not by close scores. The team seems to be for the first time until Manager Jim Wilson completely unfocused and whether it is just a winning the World Series hangover, or something else remains to be seen.

The pitching staff has been the biggest culprit as the starting pitchers have managed just 6.23 ERA (last in all of the FABL) and the team ERA is 6.11worst by almost a full run (FA's Boston team ERA is 5.28) in the early going. The biggest culprit of this has been SP Dean Astle who in 3 starts has gone 0-1 with a 7.59 ERA in 21+ innings. Astle and Eddie Quinn have both walked an alarming 10 batters so far this season and between them are averaging almost 5 walks per 9 innings.

The bullpen hasn't been much better primarily because of former team stopper Frank Phillips bloated 12.46 ERA. Only Sergio Gonzales has been reasonably effective out of the pen. Phillips has been so bad the team optioned him to AAA Cincinnati hoping he would regain his form that he has not shown at all since the end of last season (His spring ERA was also terrible at 11.17).

Taking Phillips place on the roster was OF Cal Manning who was obtained in a trade last week from Pittsburgh for a 10th round pick. The team has decided to go with a normal 9-man staff (including keeping Rule 5 Pick Bob Hake).

The Foresters might be happy that both George Coleman and Leo Proctor went unclaimed on waivers and have returned to AAA Cincinnati. If things keep going as they are with the bullpen there might be an opening or two relatively soon.

Moving to the offensive side of the ball while the team still leads the CA in home runs with 12, the runs scoring dramatically shifted from the first week to last week. The Foresters scored 48 runs in 6 games in the first week of the season but dropped to just 19 runs in the last 6 games. So while the pitching was terrible, the hitting was also MIA at home last week.

Rookie RF Fred Quinn is hitting well at 306 and is surprisingly leading the team in home runs from the leadoff spot in the order with 3. Max Morris, Leon Drake and George Dawson all have 2 home runs each. Last Year's Whitney Award winner C TR Goins has gotten off to a slow start to the season hitting just 233 but has managed to drive in 8 RBI's. Max Morris is also off to a slow batting average start hitting just 244 but has driven in a team leading 9 RBI's.

So far Manager Jim Wilson has passed all the test thrown at him with flying colors, but trying to wake up this sleeping giant of a team might be his biggest task ever. The team will try and find its first home win of the season (home record is 0-7) as they host the surprising Toronto Wolves who are off to a nice 7-5 early season start of the year. Then they will go to the annual fast starting Montreal Saints who are leading the CA with a 10-3 record for 3 games to start a road trip.

Right now the team is 3-9 and in 7th place in the CA 6 1/2 games behind the front running Saints. The only team in the standings that is below them is the also frustrated New York Stars who start the year 3-10.

================
A brief non-baseball interlude

I had never seen my wife so distraught before. She was sobbing and I couldn’t understand her. She handed me a note “Today was just a warning, next time it will be for real….”. I looked confused at my wife looking for an explanation as she continued to cry. She sobbed “the kids D, they took the kids”. I ran into the other room to find all the kids safely in the house.

I sat next to my wife as she started to unravel the story a bit and then the phone rang. I answered the phone and a voice said, “you have a very beautiful wife and family. 9pm outside the stadium, come alone, if you tell anyone, you will regret it.”

Quote:
ooc: I know more drama but something has come up and I need a reason why things are about to change. I promise to not go into too drama and it will be quick
Quote:
With the Detroit opening in our Figment Baseball League, there is an opening for a GM. If you are interested, the situation that a new GM will take over is a quite positive one. You can contact me with a DM and I will put you in touch with the league commissioner. Those of you that follow the boards like know who that league commissioner is (Figment Universe posts) and can also contact him directly.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:21 PM   #223
DD Martin
All Star Reserve

Quote:
About an hour after the disturbing phone call and the scene with my crying wife the phone rang again. Curious to see if it was the same caller as before I picked it up and was surprised to hear the caller identify themselves as Detroit Dynamo's owner Eddie Thompson. He inquired if I had any interest in maybe discussing a very financially rewarding opportunity for me and my family with his sports empire there in Detroit. Up until an hour ago I probably didn't have any real desire but because of the strange events of the day, I decided to say "sure we could talk". He knew the Forester's had an off-day on Thursday before the club left to go to Montreal and suggested that we meet at a hotel in the small town of Vermilion, Ohio. I agreed and got off the phone. I had another meeting to go to that wasn't so fun sounding shortly.
The week started for the struggling Foresters we 3 more home games. We were riding a 7-game losing streak heading into the series with the Toronto Wolves.

In game 1 of the series, fast emerging staff ace Roger Perry won his 59th game as a Forester in dominating fashion as he 3 hit the Wolves and the Forester's won 7-1. The win was our first home win of the season in 8 tries..

Game 2 was a reminder that maybe we missed Walter Murphy more than we thought we would as Lee Drouillard was drilled for 8 runs (only 4 earned) in 6 wobbly innings and we lost 10-4. We ended April with a dreadful 4-10 record and things were not looking too hot.

Game 3 of the series saw us winning in another great game by a SP, but not who you might think. Ben Turner threw a 6-hitter and we won 7-1.

Quote:
The meeting on the Sunday night at the stadium prior to the series with Toronto was simple. A car pulled up and a man said "get in".
When I got into the car I was surprised to see Elmer Marshall siding in the back seat. The car drove and Elmer started to speak very plainly and very frankly. "Let me say you have done far better than I ever thought you would ever do here. My father was honestly an idiot and why he gave my son's friend the most important role in the team to you is beyond me. But now, its time for Rick to really shine and he can't do that with you around. So while you might think I am out of the way, I am never really gone. Your choice is simply, resign your post and your family will never have any worries. Besides I know you got a call from Detroit and that fool Eddie Thompson. Sounds like a great opportunity. Either way you have 1 week to decide. If you don't do the right thing don't say you were not warned. Oh and don't be so foolish enough to even think about mentioning this to my son. Driver stop the car, good evening DD.

As I got out of the car I was wondering how Marshall knew about my call with Thompson. Then I realized that somehow he was able to listen to my phone calls.
The team headed to Montreal against the Saints who started the year red hot as usual (10-3) but once again the calendar turns and so do the Saints. We won all 3 games against Montreal and were not sitting at an 8-10 record. While that was nothing to be excited about, the team and the pitching were starting to come around. I knew that the Foresters should be contending again.

The Series in Montreal
Game 1 - Cleveland 4 @ Montreal 2 - SP Astle finally started pitching like the guy we all knew he was. While he gave up 10 hits the Saints didn't do much damage.

Game 2 - Cleveland 4 @ Montreal 1 - SP Eddie Quinn got his first win also going the distance. He scattered 11 hits and the only one that hurt was a solo home run by Jim Watson.

Game 3 - Cleveland 4 @ Montreal 2 - Forester's finish the sweep as they only give up 5 runs to Montreal in the 3 game series. Roger Perry won his 3rd game of the year giving up just 6 hits.

Quote:
My meeting in Vermilion was with both Eddie Thompson and his partner George Theobald. It was nice to talk with some gentlemen that didn't appear to be corrupt or threatening in anyway. We discussed the situation in Detroit and how dire the franchise had become. Mr. Thompson had admitted that he had taken his eyes off the ball while working on some other sporting ventures. The Dynamo's had won the 1929 World Series and had been frequent FA contenders for most of the 1930's. But slowly the team was slipping, the players were aging and the scouting department handed had a lot of luck drafting players. I told Mr. Thompson that I might have some interest but he would have to realize that we are talking about a complete rebuild. He would have to be able to accept that it would get far worse on the field before it got better. Mr. Theobald seemed to concur with my assessment of the situation.

Thompson (stated) - "I want you to think about it and we will do the same. But I have drafted an outline of a contract for you. I think you will find the offer more than fair and should provide a very lucrative situation for you and your family."

As I read the paper Mr. Thompson had slide me my mouth dropped open.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:46 PM   #224
DD Martin
All Star Reserve

The Cleveland P-I
Sports Beat
By Ronald William Apter
Monday May 6th (morning edition)

Forester GM Martin QUITS!!!

Today the baseball world and especially here in Cleveland are shocked to learn that Forester GM DD Martin has resigned his post here with the Foresters. Not a lot is known for the reason of the abrupt departure. While there have been some rumors of tension in the office with the team's home performance last week falling to 0-7 at home before finally winning 2 out of 3 against Toronto last week. No one figured that these rumors would lead to this. No immediate word of a successor has been mentioned either. For now the team will be run by Assistant GM Sonny Kelly.

We tried to reach Forester Owner Rick Marshall and also Martin for comment but to no avail. What will this sudden change mean to the Forester's hopes of repeating as CA and World Series Champions. Manager Jim Wilson stated "that while he owed a lot to DD Martin for the opportunity he gave him. The team was build to win and they were still going to go out and do just that for the city." Forester future hall of famer Max Morris summed it up this way. "I wish him no ill will but honestly ballplayers win championships, not guys in suits in the office."

Quote:
So based on the previous post and the short story drama that was done you will guess that I am leaving Cleveland. Leaving while on top some might say. Leaving because you are afraid Brooklyn will spoil your chances of repeating others might say.

The truth is I am leaving because I want a new challenge and taking over the Dynamo's will be that real challenge. The minor league rankings are probably worse than what they are in Cleveland, but our situation was because we have around 10 players on the big league team that were highly rated and now are 27 and younger and making up the core of this team that will move forward. I feel that with the 2 first round draft picks and the other deals that brought picks to us that Cleveland will be able to endure and move forward very well to whomever takes over.

During this last off-season where several GM's moved from one team to another I stated to another of the GM's that the Detroit team would likely be the one I couldn't pass up. Not because of the city, I'm a west coast guy so the city and any closeness that I might have for some cities out west is not the reason either.

As for this diary dynasty, I will at least until a new GM is found continue to write as the Cleveland P-I report Ronald William Apter and bring to light the progress of the team to repeat their championship. Once an owner is found I will allow them to take over, or start a new dynasty thread or they might not have the time or desire to do that.

I will start a new thread for the Detroit Dynamos and continue my journey as an FABL GM there. Below are the season totals for the Foresters as I leave along with my career record which I was hoping to finally get over 500 this year and likely would have done so. It's been fun Cleveland but a new journey awaits.
Attached Images
Image Image Image Image Image 
Old 03-03-2021, 05:11 PM   #225
DD Martin
All Star Reserve

A 1935 Update on the Foresters

So I was sitting in my office in Detroit with the water seeping in all over the place with this leaky broken team. I decided to get together my former Manager Jim Wilson while he was in Chicago just to catch up. Jim was always very professional and always had thanked me for giving him his big break. As a professional manager Jim is currently 252-155 and has the highest winning percentage all-time at 619. While he is still early in his career he is a great manager and I believe can become the winningest manager in history since he is just 32 (he turns 33 in November).

While it was a great conversation and he caught me up on a lot of things, it got me to reflecting on the decision that I had made to leave what was a really good team in Cleveland.

The Forester's got off to a horrible start for a team that was figured to be right there contending for the CA Pennant. The pre-season predictions had the Foresters pegged to finish just 1 game behind the Brooklyn Kings who we narrowly beat by 1 game the season before. Those pre-season predictions were done before the block-buster trade that had us (Detrot) send OF Al Wheeler, 3B Frank Vance and SP Jack Beach all to the Kings.

So where are the standings today in the CA race? 1 game, the Kings are barely hanging on to a 1 game lead. Since that 10-15 at the end of the week where I left town, the Foresters have gone 62-29. The CA race looks like it will be a dandy once again and make no mistake it is a 2-horse race just like last year. These truly are 2 great teams and it is a shame that either of them has to finish 2nd. The Kings are trying to do what we accomplished last year and win the World Series to get the 900 pound gorilla off their backs. Prior to our winning it all last year, both Cleveland and Brooklyn were the only teams not have not won the World Series out of the 16 FABL clubs. Today it is only Brooklyn and I know that they desperately want to win this one.

The problem is Brooklyn lost SP Tom Barrell in July and he will likely miss 2 more weeks. In that time the lead has shrunk from 3 games to 1 for the Kings. There are 3 games in Brooklyn (August 26th-28th) and then 4 the 2nd week in September in Cleveland. The first set of games will not include Tom Barrell pitching for Brooklyn, but he should be back for that 2nd set in Cleveland barring any set backs. It is quite possible that Barrell pitches games 1 and 4 in that 2nd series getting 2 starts in Cleveland.

The race should be a good one. While I am glad that the Forester's are doing well under their new GM (BC) who is a good guy. This team still feels like my team with the players we brought together and the manager leading them. When we made the deal in July of 1932 we figured we had a 3 year window to win. We made a lot of moves that stripped the farm system of a lot of prospects and draft capital in 1933 and 1934 that had robbed the organization of a lot of upcoming talent. To right that we made the trade with NY in the off-season to bring in another young SP (Sergio Gonzales) and a 1st round draft pick for RF Moxie Pidgeon. We traded SP Walter Murphy to Pittsburgh for a 3rd round pick in 1935 and their 3rd round choice in 1934 a SP by the name of Joe Slaney. The goal was to keep the current team competitive with a shot at another title and get a head start on rebuilding the farm system. Murphy has looked very good in Pittsburgh going 16-7 with a 3.04 ERA and hasn't had the usual 2 bad months so maybe that wasn't a great deal, but he was 31.

The acquisition of P Lee Drouillard from Baltimore in the off-season was to originally shore up the bullpen. Lee expressed regret that he never was given the chance to start in Baltimore and in the spring we decided to let him go out there. We didn't expect it would work, we were wrong. Drouillard is 14-6 with a 3.18 ERA as a SP. He has a nagging sore elbow right now and his return to health has been pushed back from 2 weeks to now uncertain. He has pitched with the issue but I think Wilson is thinking of giving him this week off to get him ready (hopefully) for the Brooklyn series next week.

The team is in good hands in Cleveland while I sit back in my office of the Titanic (Detroit) and reflect. Wondering if I made the right decision to leave the team that I really loved building.....

Quote:
I'm not running Cleveland anymore but figured that I would do an update on where the team is.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-05-2021, 07:01 PM   #226
DD Martin
All Star Reserve

The Cleveland P-I
Sports Beat
By Ronald William Apter
Sunday September 1st, 1934 (morning edition)

Forester's Re-Take Continental Association Lead

After winning 2 out of 3 in Brooklyn last week and then watching as the King's stumbled in the aftermath of it losing 4 straight on the road to Toronto and Baltimore. The Cleveland Forester's have regain the lead in the CA by 1 game over there now arch-rivals in Brooklyn. There are 4 weeks left in the season and both teams have 26 games left. They will all be important, but maybe the most important 4 will be when Brooklyn comes to town hoping to have SP Tom Barrell back after what will be 5 weeks on the shelf. The thinking is he will either get a warm up start on Sunday this week or be held off until the series opener in Cleveland on Monday September 9th. Personally if I was Brooklyn Manager Walt Bailey I'd start him on Sunday simply because that 1 day might mean getting 1 more crucial start in a game at the end of the season.

While all eyes around the league point to that big series in another week, locally there is some concern in Cleveland. 1B Max Morris, the king of the home run has been shut down for the rest of the season. While Morris is now age 40, he was closing in on career home run #700. He stands at 691 and will have to wait until next season to chase 700. More important to Forester fans at the is the gapping hole in the #4 spot suddenly in their lineup. You don't just reach down to the minor leagues and grab another Morris. Fortunately the Forester's might have a workable solution in town already. His name is veteran 3B Charlie Barry, While Barry does not posses the power of Morris, he has a great bat still at age 36 and knows how to drive in runs. He has seen some of his playing time reduced this year because of the re-emergence of Don Ward, but Barry is in my opinion the best option for the Forester's.

The team could dip down to AAA Cincinnati and bring up switch-hitting 27 year old 1B Will Bryant who has had a great season this year. Bryant has hit 363 with 18 home runs and 81 RBI's and he will likely get the call to be on the roster, but I don't know if putting him into the everyday lineup in the heat of a pennant race would be my choice. Still the team would like to find out if Bryant can do the job because some day #3 (Morris) will not be there playing 1B.

Can the Forester's without Morris hang on in the CA and take out the team everyone thought bought them the title after the trade with Detroit that brought in Wheeler and Vance? Or with Tom Barrell returning will the Kings regain their footing and once again take over the lead in the CA in search of their first World Championship.

For my money these are the two best teams in baseball, no disrespect intended to our friends in the FA. I just believe the CA is a better league and these two teams are the top in the game today.

Quote:
This is being written from the point of view from the local newspaper reporter.