Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:54 PM   #1
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
WNBA paves the way for the highest paying women's league in the world

https://www.si.com/wnba/2020/01/14/w...rs-association

I think this is a pretty awesome thing. Minimum salary will be around $130,000.
Of course the star players will be making more.
This will keep North American women who have professional ambitions from having to play in 2 or even 3 leagues in a calendar year to reach a six figure income.
It will mean star players will miss fewer WNBA seasons and be less prone to injury since they won't be playing in multiple leagues per year.

It also means that a female who wishes to have a viable and high playing career as a professional athlete after high school or college can now have one and retire comfortably.

Lots of other things are in this CBA and all of them are good for the players.

It is a long ways away from equal pay, but with the much better travel accommodations and minimum six figure guaranteed it means being a WNBA player will be a more attractive career and you won't have to play in the WNBA and then go to Russia or France or Turkey or Israel in the offseason.
It may also attract more foreign born players to the league and a larger player pool only makes womens basketball higher quality.

Last edited by rudel.dietrich; 01-17-2020 at 07:58 PM.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:08 PM   #2
pilight
All Star Starter

The $130k is the average, not the minimum. It's still a big bump. The owners really screwed over the players on the last CBA. The union responded by canning their long time director Pam Wheeler and completely replacing their leadership. They spent six years getting ready for this CBA fight and it showed in the results.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:35 PM   #3
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilight View Post
The $130k is the average, not the minimum. It's still a big bump.
You are correct, I was listening to a podcast and they incorrectly said the 130 was the minimum. The aritcle I linked is correct.
Under the current CBA the highest paid player in 2019 was $127,500

So it is a pretty large increase along with better travel, health insurance and retirement.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:27 AM   #4
pilight
All Star Starter

The new CBA has really loosened up free agency. After 20+ years of little to no movement, all the wheeling and dealing is exhilarating.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:04 AM   #5
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

It's nice to see - or, more cautiously said, it will be nice to see - the WNBA reach a level of financial stability that guarantees its long-term viability. Since I retired, I am branching out in my sports interests. WNBA is in there along with MLS.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:39 PM   #6
pilight
All Star Starter

I wonder how long a league has to last before we stop asking about its "long term viability"
Old 02-15-2020, 03:10 PM   #7
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I wonder how long a league has to last before we stop asking about its "long term viability"
Decades. And even then, it's no sign of continued viability. Still, WNBA seems to be established now. That wasn't always the case, IIRC.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:53 PM   #8
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Viable in what sense? The league on it's own is a money pit, if the NBA wasn't subsidizing the losses then it wouldn't be able to operate
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:24 PM   #9
pilight
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
Viable in what sense? The league on it's own is a money pit, if the NBA wasn't subsidizing the losses then it wouldn't be able to operate
I hear people say that, but there's no real evidence of it. The NBA claims most of its teams lose money too, so I'm extremely wary of taking them at their word.
Old 03-26-2020, 01:05 PM   #10
pilight
All Star Starter

The WNBA announced today that the draft will happen as scheduled on April 17th. Commissioner Cathy Engelbert will announce the draft picks live on ESPN2 with coverage beginning at 8 p.m. ET, and top prospects will take part remotely.

EDIT: Shortly after this announcement, ESPN moved the broadcast from ESPN2 to their main channel.

Last edited by pilight; 03-26-2020 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Additional info