Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 12-03-2019, 03:47 PM   #741
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
I don't get why the Vikings didn't challenge that interception early in the 4th quarter. Although it wasn't called on the field, it was clearly interference. Unlikely to be overturned by the NFL's ridiculously murky replay rule? Yes. But at this point I think you have to at least give it a shot.
Unless it's something that could easily be seen without slow motion replay, it's not going to get overturned. That play wouldn't have qualified.

A lot of these plays that are easy to spot in slow motion, but in real time they're a split second.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #742
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
rivera is out!

I will hold my excitement until Im sure they arent hiring mike mccarthy or something similarly stupid
Again, I don't see what benefit it gives to fire a coach midseason if a turnaround in fortune isn't possible. But I'm all for a change for 2020. People want to use the Cam Newton excuse, but look at what Tomlin has done with Pittsburgh. He is the architect of the defense which has largely not pulled its weight. There is no excuse for the lack of effort vs Atlanta & Washington. It's time for someone new to be in charge.

Which leads me to the GM. Why fire the coach now? Unless he is planning on keeping Hurney. If not, he is putting the cart in front of the horse.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:01 PM   #743
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Hurney should definitely be gone. Wouldn't be surprised if soon.

Maybe the idea is to see what you've got in giving the current assistants more responsibility? And you can start looking for your new coach earlier, it's kinda ****ty to be committed to finding a new one but not let him look for a new job until the end of the year.

I also enjoyed that norv was removed as OC and is a "special assistant to the head coach" which means "we have to pay you so you are just gonna stick around"
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:38 PM   #744
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Hurney should definitely be gone. Wouldn't be surprised if soon.

Maybe the idea is to see what you've got in giving the current assistants more responsibility? And you can start looking for your new coach earlier, it's kinda ****ty to be committed to finding a new one but not let him look for a new job until the end of the year.

I also enjoyed that norv was removed as OC and is a "special assistant to the head coach" which means "we have to pay you so you are just gonna stick around"
Looking for a new coach early means nothing if he isn't in sync w/the GM. You can't have someone shopping for a vegetarian meal when his cook's expertise is the barbecue.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-04-2019, 08:00 AM   #745
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post

Which leads me to the GM. Why fire the coach now? Unless he is planning on keeping Hurney. If not, he is putting the cart in front of the horse.
Some of the talk this morning on sports shows was that Carolina wanted to get ahead of the curve in talking with college coaches, knowing that other teams, in particular the Cowboys, with a sparkly new stadium and a pretty good team, will be hiring in the off-season. With the break between the various conference championship games this weekend and the upcoming bowls, it is a good time to talk to coaches, if you aren't think of going the OC or recycle direction.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:48 AM   #746
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

I hope they talk to Harbaugh. Really his only crime is not being better than ohio state who is the third best program in the country but michigan fans are so deluded they think they can get better, it's like they've completely forgotten the seven years before him where they fell behind sparty. They would be nebraska now if they didn't hire him.

Harbaugh has taken over trash and flipped it into something much better everywhere he's been.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:05 AM   #747
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
Some of the talk this morning on sports shows was that Carolina wanted to get ahead of the curve in talking with college coaches, knowing that other teams, in particular the Cowboys, with a sparkly new stadium and a pretty good team, will be hiring in the off-season. With the break between the various conference championship games this weekend and the upcoming bowls, it is a good time to talk to coaches, if you aren't think of going the OC or recycle direction.
I don't get that. How would Rivera still on the sidelines prevents Tepper from doing a search & talking to college coaches? I don't see how this gives him a head start. Jerry Jones could be talking to non-NFL coaches right now w/Garrett still in the locker room.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-04-2019, 09:14 AM   #748
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I hope they talk to Harbaugh. Really his only crime is not being better than ohio state who is the third best program in the country but michigan fans are so deluded they think they can get better, it's like they've completely forgotten the seven years before him where they fell behind sparty. They would be nebraska now if they didn't hire him.

Harbaugh has taken over trash and flipped it into something much better everywhere he's been.
I think Michigan fans have a right to be griping because they were even w/OSU not long ago. They should expect more. Especially since they haven't been competitive w/"Harbaugh's guys". As I said in the other thread, Michigan's D has given up more pts in their last 2 football games w/OSU than they did in the last 2 basketball games w/OSU. Jim didn't start the fire. But he didn't put it out either. I will say he & the Wolverines were robbed on a bad spot in OT that would have beat OSU in 2016.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-04-2019, 09:14 AM   #749
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I don't get that. How would Rivera still on the sidelines prevents Tepper from doing a search & talking to college coaches? I don't see how this gives him a head start. Jerry Jones could be talking to non-NFL coaches right now w/Garrett still in the locker room.
I know that some coaches, in the past, have balked about talking about a position that was still filled, out of respect.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 09:52 AM   #750
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think Michigan fans have a right to be griping because they were even w/OSU not long ago. They should expect more. Especially since they haven't been competitive w/"Harbaugh's guys". As I said in the other thread, Michigan's D has given up more pts in their last 2 football games w/OSU than they did in the last 2 basketball games w/OSU. Jim didn't start the fire. But he didn't put it out either. I will say he & the Wolverines were robbed on a bad spot in OT that would have beat OSU in 2016.
They went from one top 25 season in 7 years to four top 15 seasons in 5 years. The fire is down to a little smoke in the corner now.

49ers had a decade of irrelevance (kinda like the Panthers) and Harbaugh turned them around instantly.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:55 AM   #751
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They went from one top 25 season in 7 years to four top 15 seasons in 5 years. The fire is down to a little smoke in the corner now.

49ers had a decade of irrelevance (kinda like the Panthers) and Harbaugh turned them around instantly.
Not disputing whether he is a good coach. Any fool can see he is. I'm saying Michigan fans have a right to expect more because they have been more. He has not bridged the gap. That's what they hired him for and he hasn't done it.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-04-2019, 10:04 AM   #752
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomcoach View Post
I know that some coaches, in the past, have balked about talking about a position that was still filled, out of respect.
I'm aware of that. But that is when management hasn't committed to whether they are making a change or not. You can tell whoever you are interested in that you are just waiting till the end of the year to announce a decision you have already made. I also don't see what would be wrong in telling Rivera privately he won't be back next year but let him finish the season. If he doesn't want to do that, let him resign. But I still don't see how this gives anyone a "head start". Are you going to name a new HC before the season ends? You are going to be @ the same starting line as every other team looking to make a new hire.

IMO, any AD, GM or owner worth anything already has a short list in the back of their desk drawer ready to pull out at a moment's notice. So it shouldn't be a long search to begin with.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-04-2019, 11:45 AM   #753
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Cam Newton getting surgery on foot.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-04-2019, 05:05 PM   #754
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Again, I don't see what benefit it gives to fire a coach midseason if a turnaround in fortune isn't possible. But I'm all for a change for 2020. People want to use the Cam Newton excuse, but look at what Tomlin has done with Pittsburgh. He is the architect of the defense which has largely not pulled its weight. There is no excuse for the lack of effort vs Atlanta & Washington. It's time for someone new to be in charge.

It can have an effect if the players have quit on the current coach. It happened in 2010 with the Cowboys. They were a completely different team after the firing mid season. But too little too late after you start 1-7.

This firing won't help Carolina make the playoffs no matter what they do. But at least they can get a head start in talking to possible future coaches like someone else said. Normally they don't do that while the coach is still there.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #755
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Niners suspend announcer for comments about Lamar Jackson. I didn't find the comment racist. I just found it stupid beyond reason.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-05-2019, 12:03 PM   #756
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Niners suspend announcer for comments about Lamar Jackson. I didn't find the comment racist. I just found it stupid beyond reason.
I agree.

Never been a fan of Tim Ryan, either. The guy is just a doofus meathead with little football knowledge that just repeats the company line. He lost me when he declared, before the season in 2016, Chip Kelly's 49ers as one of the best teams in the league. I will be glad to not have to hear his commentary for awhile.
Old 12-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #757
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
What a bizarre comment
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:34 PM   #758
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Sounds like one of those half-joking comments that just didn't land. I'm sure we've all had that moment where we say something then afterwards realize it didn't sound as great as it did in our head lol
Old 12-05-2019, 04:05 PM   #759
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I agree. I just don't think this year is any different. I just get aggravated when people make comments like Rodgers can win games by himself. Or as long as Rodgers is playing, the team is never out of it. It's just flat out false. He's not the QB that will elevate his team past just a slightly superior opponent. Give him a stacked team, yeah, he's tough to beat.
Domonique Foxworth agrees with you.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-05-2019, 04:07 PM   #760
low
Hall Of Famer

As soon as someone refers to "QBR" I can no longer take them seriously. ESPN needs to stop trying to make it a thing. It's not.
low is offline   Reply With Quote