Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 09-27-2019, 02:45 PM   #221
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Last night's game was a pretty good indicator that the NFL is guilty of a knee-jerk reaction to the egregrious non-pass-interference call in last year's NFC championship game. So now pass interference is reviewable, but there's no clear standard as to what's overturnable PI and what's not.

On the play where the Pack threw the challenge flag, it was quite obviously, unquestionably PI. Perhaps not as early-in-the-play as the one in the NFC title game, but still very obvious, no doubt-about-it. Yet there was no overturning the play to call PI. When the Iggles threw the challenge flag just a bit later, that - too- was clearly PI, though a bit less obvious that the previous one. And even the play that sealed the game - the pick at the goal line - was PI, though it was not obvious and of the bang-bang variety... If the rule is going to be in place, it should be no different then when reviewing other reviewable plays - did he cross the goal line? was his knee down? did he step out of bounds? did the ball hit the ground? On all of those, it's a yes or no proposition (or where inconclusive = call on the field stands). But on PI reviews, it seems to be well, he definitely interfered but not quite to the degree of [fill in the blank]. Rabbit hole...
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:44 PM   #222
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

That is why the NFL has dragged their feet so much over challenges on judgement calls. They are not cut and dry, by definition, so are going to end up being uneven, even on review.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:58 PM   #223
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Last night's game was a pretty good indicator that the NFL is guilty of a knee-jerk reaction to the egregrious non-pass-interference call in last year's NFC championship game. So now pass interference is reviewable, but there's no clear standard as to what's overturnable PI and what's not.

On the play where the Pack threw the challenge flag, it was quite obviously, unquestionably PI. Perhaps not as early-in-the-play as the one in the NFC title game, but still very obvious, no doubt-about-it. Yet there was no overturning the play to call PI. When the Iggles threw the challenge flag just a bit later, that - too- was clearly PI, though a bit less obvious that the previous one. And even the play that sealed the game - the pick at the goal line - was PI, though it was not obvious and of the bang-bang variety... If the rule is going to be in place, it should be no different then when reviewing other reviewable plays - did he cross the goal line? was his knee down? did he step out of bounds? did the ball hit the ground? On all of those, it's a yes or no proposition (or where inconclusive = call on the field stands). But on PI reviews, it seems to be well, he definitely interfered but not quite to the degree of [fill in the blank]. Rabbit hole...
Local radio here interviewed a former head of the NFL refs. He surmised the replay people are judging whether the PI would have been clear to the naked eye at regular speed. Don't know how true that is. But it's stupid if he is correct. You're taking a judgment call and now judging whether the ref should have had good judgment instead of judging the play.

You guys have seen me say previously how I think reviewing PI was overkill. You can call PI on every pass just as you can call holding on every snap. Replay on those calls is not going to help the situation. The focus should be on better personnel in the zebra pen. They should also make PI just 15 yds like they do in college. It's too big of a penalty to start with.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:34 AM   #224
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Seriously, if this is true, heads should roll. You go from a "mild sprain" to possibly torn ligaments and possible surgery. Cam may have been a party to this. But still, you don't prepare to play a full season on a bad wheel with a player that has Cam's skill set. This is why players end up going outside the training room and demand trades because coaches & training staff only worry about getting the guy on the field instead of waiting for him to get healthy.

Edit: Lisfranc fractures typically take 6-12 weeks of recovery after surgery & immobilization of the foot.
Cam took the blame for hiding how bad his foot was hurt. So I walk back some of my earlier anger. But if a mid foot sprain is the same as a Lisfranc, then training staff should have been aware Cam wasn't recovered. So lot of blame to pass around.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 09-28-2019, 01:41 PM   #225
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

There is no way everyone else didn't know. He didn't run against the rams. The whole reason for the awful fourth and one play against the bucs was that they knew cam couldn't run. Rivera lied straight to everyone's face after that game.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:46 PM   #226
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
There is no way everyone else didn't know. He didn't run against the rams. The whole reason for the awful fourth and one play against the bucs was that they knew cam couldn't run. Rivera lied straight to everyone's face after that game.
"Plausible deniability"

4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 09-29-2019, 04:02 PM   #227
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
I do know that it's only one game. That has to be said.
Well, now it's only two games but the sentiment is the same. (And I apologize for even momentarily turning this into a NY Giants thread - maybe I will start one - but as usual, I come here to record my sports thoughts.)

This Daniel Jones is looking like a revelation. People say, "Don't overrate the quarterback position" but everybody is playing better, including defense and special teams. He plays with confidence and poise. His arm is strong, he leads, and he moves - 35 rushing yards today, longest 16 yards - and it seems contagious.

Giants players were smiling. I don't think that was just because they were winning handily. They are inspired.

I'm comparing them not only to how they were in the first two games but to how the team has been for several years. What a difference.

I know it's wishful thinking on the part of a fan. Repeat as needed: It's only two games. It's only two games. There are losses ahead. But maybe they will not be so frequent and heartbreaking.

For now, anyway, there is a new king of NY Giants football. Long live the king.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:57 PM   #228
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Week 4
PHI at GB(-4.5) Could be a trap game but the Packers are off to a strong start. PICK: GB loss

TEN at ATL(-4.0) Atlanta did not look good against the Colts Pick: TEN won

NE(-7.0) at BUF Not gonna bet against the Pats until they prove me wrong. Pick: NE loss

KC(-6.0) at DET Looking more and more like an AFC Championship rematch. Pick: KC loss

OAK at IND(-6.5) Not going to bet for Oakland just like I'm not gonna bet against NE. Pick: IND loss

LAC(-16.5) at MIA - Duh. Pick: LAC won

WAS at NYG(-3) - The spread should definately be higher here. Pick: NYG won

CLE at BAL(-7.0) - I don't see the ravens running away from Cleveland here. pick: CLE won

CAR at HOU(-5.0) - Watson is turning into a near elite QB. Pick: HOU loss

TAM at LAR(-9.0) Well, TAM did lose to NYG. Pick: LAR loss

SEA(-4.5) at ARI This could be close but I see the Seahawks taking the spread Pick: SEA won

MIN at CHI(-2.5) Close contest between two good teams, but I'll take the home team. PICK: CHI won

JAX at DEN(-3.0) I see Jacksonville winning this straight up. Pick: JAX won

DAL(-2.5) at NO Finally could be the Cowboys year to make the super bowl. PICK: DAL loss

CIN at PIT(-4.0) The Bungles are pretty bad. Pick: PIT

7-7 heading into MNF.
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:26 AM   #229
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

"A dog that poop fast don't poop for long"

4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 09-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #230
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Vontaze Burfect suspended for the year.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 09-30-2019, 04:35 PM   #231
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If he played in the 90s he'd be a hall of famer.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:14 PM   #232
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
If he played in the 90s he'd be a hall of famer.
...and still be a dirty player. I'd rather be someone whose character was respected by my opponents.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 09-30-2019, 05:40 PM   #233
GeoWar
All Star Reserve

I am more concerned about this "review" of Pass Interference ....... ????

As far as the Helmet ----- make it of soft impact material or go back to leather helmets .----- The players don't require a weapon on the field and that is what it has become.
Deacon Jones use to describe padding his arms (especially in cold weather) and using a "Head" slap . The NFL outlawed the Headslap. Jack Tatum use to "allow" the receiver to catch the ball and then unload on him -- the NFL has basically outlawed it.

Teach tackling again and not using the Helmet ..... It is bad for both players and BAD for the game. Going for the big hit has replaced good tackling.

take away the helmet as a weapon.

Texas Longhorns -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2005

Oregon State Beavers -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2006 and 2007

With unity comes VICTORY !
GeoWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:53 PM   #234
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
...and still be a dirty player. I'd rather be someone whose character was respected by my opponents.
cough cough Steve Atwater cough
Old 09-30-2019, 08:48 PM   #235
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Speaking from a fan's point of view, I would be upset if my team signed somebody like this in order to "toughen up the defense." The defense doesn't need to intentionally hurt folks in order to be tough.

This:
Quote:
The suspension is Burfict's fourth during his NFL career, and the third time he's been hit with a ban for on-field incidents. In 2016, Burfict was suspended three games for multiple violations of player safety rules. In 2017, the linebacker was suspended five games for a hit to a defenseless player, which was reduced to three games upon appeal. In 2018, Burfict missed four games for a violation of the NFL's PED policy. The linebacker has also been slapped with multiple fines for illegal hits throughout his career.
Seriously? This reminds me of guys still driving around when their licenses have been suspended dozens of times.

I'll tell you something else. If I am the last goddamned man on this planet to feel this way - a gross exaggeration because I know I'm not - I will always feel this way no matter how my team's defense fares.

I say these things and then I leave threads like this because I don't want to be here when somebody comes along to excuse such behavior because sports is all-out war and it's win at all costs. Seeing how things are these days in so many aspects of life, I cannot abide these people anymore.

Let me move on now, before such a person appears.

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 09-30-2019 at 08:58 PM.
Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:06 PM   #236
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I know Miami is the worst. But getting the 1st pick in the 2020 draft ain't going to be easy. Cincinnatti is going to give them a run. Or in their case, a crawl. And they are going to play each other week 16. I also don't think Washington is would be a clear favorite in Miami.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 10-01-2019, 10:26 AM   #237
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Week 1: 6-7 Week 2: 7-9 Week 3: 11-4 Week 4: 8-7 Total: 32-27

8-7 last week, can't complain with all the crazy games.

Week 5 - L
LAR at SEA(-1.5) - Not a lot of confidence in the Rams defence. PICK: SEA

NE(-15.5) at WAS - The Patriots understandably feel like they don't need to play 100% every game. Pick: WAS

JAX at CAR(-3) - Vegas is going AGAINST Minchew mania?!?! Pick: JAX

ARI at CIN(-3.5) - If the Bengals lose they could have a leg up on the 1st overall pick. PICK: ARI

ATL at HOU(-5) - The Texans underperformed last week but look for a rebound game this week. PICK: HOU

TB at NO(-3.5) - I see this as a close game but I'll go with the Saints. Pick: NO

MIN(-4.5) at NYG - The Giants are improving but not good enough to hang with Minnesota. PICK: MIN

CHI(-4.5) at OAK - I don't see this being close. PICK: CHI

NYJ at PHI(-13.5) - This could be a swingy game that could go either way vs. the spread, but I'll take the Jets. PICK: NYJ

BAL(-3.5) at PIT - Vegas is overreacting to the Ravens poor performance last week I think, the spread should be higher. PICK: BAL

BUF at TEN(-3) - The Bills are actually the better team I think. PICK: BUF

DEN at LAC(-6.5) - Don't bet on the Broncos. PICK: LAC

GB at DAL(-3.5) - I could actually see the Cowboys losing. PICK: GB

IND at KC(-10.5) - The spread is too high with KC's poor defense I think. PICK: IND

CLE at SF(-3.5) - The 49ers have to come down to earth at some point. PICK: CLE

Bye: Detroit, Miami

Last edited by monkeyman576; 10-01-2019 at 10:30 AM.
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:58 AM   #238
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

We can just call the season know and give the trophy to the Pats. No point in anyone getting hurt on the field over it.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:51 PM   #239
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
C'mon, not a dirty player. He does what everyone did in the 80s and 90s and it was accepted as fair play. It isn't anymore. Lawrence Taylor, watch his highlights, 90% of his tackles would be personal fouls today. How Burfict plays today was completely accepted back in the 90s. He's only a dirty player by today's standards. He's a hall of famer and regarded as one of the best players in the 20th century.

Last edited by Ragnar; 10-01-2019 at 05:05 PM.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:21 PM   #240
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
C'mon, not a dirty player. He does what everyone did in the 80s and 90s and it was accepted as fair play. It isn't anymore. Lawrence Taylor, watch his highlights, 90% of his tackles would be personal fouls today. How Burfict plays today was completely accepted back in the 90s. He's only a dirty player by today's standards. He's a hall of famer and regarded as one of the best players in the 20th century.
Agree to disagree. I don't call him dirty by the world's standards. I consider him dirty by my standards. Anyone that deliberately seeks to injure another player is dirty by my book. A slave trader may have been considered an honorable business man in colonial times. That doesn't keep his occupation from being morally repugnant in my eye.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance