Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:20 PM   #1
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

Releasing a player with options, how much do I have to pay him?

Below the photos explain it pretty much, Cano has 4 years left but already the 3 year is a team option, the buyout is 2 million. Now when I want to release him I gotta pay him the salary for 3 years, why isn't it like for year 1 and 2 plus the buyout?
Attached Images
Image Image 
geisterhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 06:06 PM   #2
NotMuchTime
Minors (Double A)

Good question, one would think it would be 42,500,000.
NotMuchTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:05 AM   #3
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMuchTime View Post
Good question, one would think it would be 42,500,000.
I would assume that too, however as u can see I'm asked to pay over 60.000.000 equal 3 years salary.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2019, 08:01 AM   #4
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

You're not exercising a team option - you're outright releasing him. You pay the full amount of the remaining contract. You don't get to exercise your team option in this type scenario.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 07-08-2019 at 08:03 AM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #5
NotMuchTime
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
You're not exercising a team option - you're outright releasing him. You pay the full amount of the remaining contract. You don't get to exercise your team option in this type scenario.
I thought that might be it too, but that would be 81,000,000.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #6
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

alright but is there a possibility to release him and exercise that option, in real life that is?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
modesto61ca
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Maybe it's factoring the three guaranteed years left (year 7, 8 and 10), plus the year 9 buyout?
Old 07-08-2019, 11:48 AM   #8
andyhdz
All Star Starter

Did you try and trade him first? I have only outright released someone with that much salary baggage a few times after I know I can't trade him for anything and he's being a cancer to the ballclub and has to go. That's the only scenario an outright release with this type of salary makes sense because even if the wheels have fallen off I'm sure he's still a bit better than your average player. If he's not being a butt about it stick him on the bench as an overpriced pinch hitter if you are ready to move on. Put him on the trading block and see if another team will eventually bite. You have 4 years so situations change with other teams.

Last edited by andyhdz; 07-08-2019 at 11:54 AM.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:52 PM   #9
NotMuchTime
Minors (Double A)

Trading is all well and good, but the point is understanding why. As a GM, it's just a least little bit helpful to understand these things.

I don't think anyone is assuming OOTP is wrong, however the possibility does exist. I personally think OOTP is counting year 10 as a guaranteed year and it's not. That said, OOTP may have it right because the team broke the contract (?). However, it seems year 9 would be paid in full if that was the case.

If OOTP is right, then we need to add 'team option' to every year of the contract (once started). I think OOTP has it wrong. The 2,000,000 is to buy out the contract, not just season 9. That said, an understanding (or a patch) would be helpful.
Old 07-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #10
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

I don't have things up in front of me, but if memory serves me there may simple be an issue with what displays in the popup - you may want to try backing up the game and seeing what happens when they are released, what gets filled into the misc expenses buckets for future years.

We should treat releasing players as if team options get declined. I believe that makes the most sense.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 05:33 PM   #11
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by modesto61ca View Post
Maybe it's factoring the three guaranteed years left (year 7, 8 and 10), plus the year 9 buyout?

That’s exactly what it’s doing, but it shouldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #12
Mike D
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugga27 View Post
That’s exactly what it’s doing, but it shouldn’t.

Why not? The contract is for 4 guaranteed years sandwiched around an option.(Why that contract is structured that way is a whole different argument) Since year 10 isn't an option, you have to pay those 3 plus the 2 Mill buyout.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:29 PM   #13
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMuchTime View Post
I thought that might be it too, but that would be 81,000,000.
It wouldn't be 81,000,000 because this is happening at the end of March, therefore part of the 2020 salary has already been paid out so this should only be factoring in 3 years at the 20,250,000 and the pro-rated amount for the rest of 2020.

Although, my quick attempt at doing the math still left me about 2 mil short so either I did the math wrong or this does include the buyout amount. And that part does seem counter-intuitive to me. The rest though makes sense- the option can't be exercised until the end of the 2021 season so releasing the player well before that negates the option (or so it would seem to me.)

EDIT: Nevermind. Monday end of workday brain malfunction. Somehow I shorted the pro-rated amount by a huge chunk (left out 3 digits) so that doesn't make sense either. So it looks like with pro-rating 2020 the amount remaining should be $76,117,808.40 or thereabouts. Which is obviously not 62,750,000.

Last edited by BirdWatcher; 07-08-2019 at 06:41 PM.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 06:54 PM   #14
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
I don't have things up in front of me, but if memory serves me there may simple be an issue with what displays in the popup - you may want to try backing up the game and seeing what happens when they are released, what gets filled into the misc expenses buckets for future years.

We should treat releasing players as if team options get declined. I believe that makes the most sense.
Not sure that's what the CBA says. If what you say is true then teams could offer fake 8 year contracts that are actually only 5 year contracts. I would hope that the in-game player AI would be set that players would demand more money in return for giving up the guaranteed money due to team options. Realism should always rule here.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #15
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Not sure that's what the CBA says. If what you say is true then teams could offer fake 8 year contracts that are actually only 5 year contracts. I would hope that the in-game player AI would be set that players would demand more money in return for giving up the guaranteed money due to team options. Realism should always rule here.
This may be an area that is just not possible to change. The best way to sign anyone is to offer a contract with the last two years as team options. Max those two years out with the intention to decline them. This allows you to get whoever you want also may allow you too make the first few years really cheap.

I think the only way to counter these things would be house rules. Maybe a buyout part to contracts could be implemented? So if someone is really unhappy they may accept a buyout?

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:11 AM   #16
NotMuchTime
Minors (Double A)

This contract wasn't negotiated during the 'game' as it dates back several years. That said, I would hope/assume the AI takes into consideration 'guaranteed money' when negotiating. Any money beyond the first 'team option' year is not guaranteed. I can only assume the AI/Cano was satisfied with a guaranteed amount of ~$180 million (+$2 million) since 'he' agreed to relinquish ~$40 million for a $2 million buyout.

I've believe OOTP does a fairly decent job when negotiating and I do my best to fleece it at every opportunity.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #17
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

I'm curious why the contract has that buyout in the first place. spotrac and baseball-reference both show it as fully guaranteed at 24M a year with the mets on the hook for 20.75M of that from 2020-2023

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/new-york...nson-cano-576/

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...canoro01.shtml
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:14 PM   #18
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmenSmith View Post
This may be an area that is just not possible to change. The best way to sign anyone is to offer a contract with the last two years as team options. Max those two years out with the intention to decline them. This allows you to get whoever you want also may allow you too make the first few years really cheap.

I think the only way to counter these things would be house rules. Maybe a buyout part to contracts could be implemented? So if someone is really unhappy they may accept a buyout?
IRL the bold would never fly with any player. Probably wouldn't be approved at the league/CBA level either. Within the limits of programming the same should happen in-game.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #19
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Why not? The contract is for 4 guaranteed years sandwiched around an option.(Why that contract is structured that way is a whole different argument) Since year 10 isn't an option, you have to pay those 3 plus the 2 Mill buyout.

Because the fourth year only becomes guaranteed if the option is exercised.

slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:15 AM   #20
CMH
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
IRL the bold would never fly with any player. Probably wouldn't be approved at the league/CBA level either. Within the limits of programming the same should happen in-game.
We have in-house rules in online leagues to prevent this very thing because you're right, it's abuse of the programming.

No player would ever agree to team options of absurd amounts of money believing that the team intends to pick up those options.

I'm not sure if OOTP has fixed this since the online league rule has been in effect for so many versions and I don't play solo.
CMH is offline   Reply With Quote