Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 11-09-2019, 11:33 AM   #1
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Team of 100's

PT league
a team starts today with 108 wins 27 losses.
whole pitching staff consist of 100 cards of former CY Young winning starters at every pitching position. I wish there was a limit on starters usage as relievers or being able to use starters in reliever roles.Whole team is 100 Perfect cards. it's enough that position players are playing all over the diamond to maximize defensive abilities while not playing their actual positions. Just takes the fun out of really trying to win.The reason I will not spend money next version & just hang around the lower leagues. Something should be done about this. Does somebody just have the need to feel like a winner to stroke their ego?
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:59 AM   #2
bailey
Hall Of Famer

I like to play with the best players (cards, that is) in the game. I'm sorry for your plight and I don't particularly enjoy running up huge numbers of wins (currently 127 average each week), but that is the way the game is designed. Don't blame the guy who spent much more money and got a far better team than you.

One thing that could be done right now is cutting the number of perfect leagues in half by relegating 16 teams next week from each league and keep cutting the number until the win total for each division averages around 100 instead of 120+.
bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:08 PM   #3
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

I will say this... I do agree that it is unfortunate that historic performance and defensive positional ratings are meaningless. Our actions as owners should not increase the value and worth of a card, but they do.

It will be interesting how training is adjudicated, especially if the only means to positionally train a card for tournaments is to play them in the main leagues. I fully expect eyebrows to be raised when someone decides to bench their SE Sisler card on their perfect league team because they want the opportunity to have 76 OVR Julio Franco play 1B in a silver tournament. Luckily, I trained my Franco at 1B months ago

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
atabakin
All Star Reserve

Wait, don't you always say that ratings don't matter? If that's the case, what's the difference between a team of perfects and a team of silvers? Must just be luck that this team is doing well.
Old 11-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #5
UltimateAverageGuy
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
PT league
whole pitching staff consist of 100 cards of former CY Young winning starters at every pitching position. I wish there was a limit on starters usage as relievers or being able to use starters in reliever roles.Whole team is 100 Perfect cards. it's enough that position players are playing all over the diamond to maximize defensive abilities while not playing their actual positions. Just takes the fun out of really trying to win.The reason I will not spend money next version & just hang around the lower leagues. Something should be done about this. Does somebody just have the need to feel like a winner to stroke their ego?
Their idea of fun has zero to do with yours. They didnt buy the game to please you.
UltimateAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:02 PM   #6
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateAverageGuy View Post
Their idea of fun has zero to do with yours. They didnt buy the game to please you.
That being said, the extreme lack of parity in some of the leagues just simply cannot be beneficial for the game itself. For example, in P420's AC West, the 3rd place team has fewer wins (55) than they are games back (56 1/2). Kudos to division leader la2mack's 112-28 Long Beach-Compton Anarcho-Syndicalists and their +459 RDiff, but only 4 of the 8 teams in the league with inning percentages below .400 can be relegated in spite of having zero chance to even pretend to be competitive.

If tanking is a problem, then this extreme lack of parity also has to be considered a problem. In both cases, teams are getting awarded points at a disproportionate rate because they have found a way to face significantly inferior noncompetitive opponents.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #7
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

The game won't exist without whales.

However it also won't exist without everyone else, and the current path of this game is putting it at risk of losing a large chunk of the everyone else each year.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #8
atabakin
All Star Reserve

This is a case of don't hate the player, hate the game. It looks like there are 64 perfect leagues right now out of 533 total. That's absolutely absurd. Some people have said there should be another level added. Well, they added a new level in this version compared to 19, and the proportion of teams at the highest level *increased*. Maybe there can be a 7th level added for 21, and the number of teams at the highest level can go up to 20+%.

When everyone's at the highest level, there isn't really a highest level.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #9
GlassGuyBob
Minors (Double A)

I'm impressed that someone could play a game named "Perfect Team" and not expect that some people would go to the effort of actually trying to build a Perfect Team of elite players.

I'm not sure how you play normal OOTP simulations but I will move players around the diamond to improve my defense, move starters to bullpen and *gasp* try to put as many good players as I can on the same team.

GlassGuyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #10
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
PT league

There is a reason they keep score....jeez....

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:01 PM   #11
waittilnextyear
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGuyBob View Post
I'm impressed that someone could play a game named "Perfect Team" and not expect that some people would go to the effort of actually trying to build a Perfect Team of elite players.

I'm not sure how you play normal OOTP simulations but I will move players around the diamond to improve my defense, move starters to bullpen and *gasp* try to put as many good players as I can on the same team.
Aha! Now I know the owner of my team's nemesis, the Dart Frogs!

waittilnextyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:39 PM   #12
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
I like to play with the best players (cards, that is) in the game. I'm sorry for your plight and I don't particularly enjoy running up huge numbers of wins (currently 127 average each week), but that is the way the game is designed. Don't blame the guy who spent much more money and got a far better team than you.

One thing that could be done right now is cutting the number of perfect leagues in half by relegating 16 teams next week from each league and keep cutting the number until the win total for each division averages around 100 instead of 120+.
Or 8-10 relegations.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:46 PM   #13
RunninYakAngler
Minors (Triple A)

It's not the destination, it's the journey. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

As an FTP player, I just enjoy the ups and downs through the seasons. It's kind of like being a small market team and the "Whales" are the Yankees/Dodgers of the world. Yeah the odds are stacked against us, by choice or by situation, but the goal should be just making it to the playoffs where anything can happen. Two of my three teams regularly make the playoffs (the Marathoners are a lost cause) and one was 1 pitch away from being up 3-0 in the World Series. Yeah we lost the series 4-2, but man was it enjoyable. I also know I'm one bad division draw from being a relegation candidate. I'm ok with that, as Diamond is also a heckuva lot of fun.

And without the whales, who would we sell those extremely rare historical cards to if we're lucky enough to ever pull one? We should be glad that they choose to fund this game, and take our butt whoopins and come back for more.

RunninYakAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:11 AM   #14
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

The problem is that not much thought has really been invested in "competitiveness". It was assumed that the best teams would move up and competitiveness would take care of itself - but that didn't happen.

There's a number of things that could help - 1st; promote ONLY the best teams - not who lucks into a playoff win as a wildcard team. 2nd; With 6 levels there should be 6 times the number of Iron teams as Perfect teams. If we have 525 leagues, 25 should be Perfect, 50 should be Diamond, 75 should be Gold, 100 should be Silver, 125 should be Bronze, and 150 should be Iron. 3rd; Whatever roster restrictions define "tanking" should be coded into the game so players simply can't do it. Period.

I, too, will be playing free next version if nothing much changes. As it stands now, the folks with resources much greater than me will insure I will never have a chance at anything near "perfection". I just hope the OOTP team sees a need to adjust things a bit.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:38 AM   #15
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

The answer has always been getting rid of the fixed promotion/relegation structure and organizing teams based on how good the active roster is at the new season refresh then restricting rosters to be in certain requirements within a season. Getting promoted is actively bad for everyone who isnt a super whale. Next year it will just be the players who dont know any better moving up without major changes.

Last edited by dkgo; 11-10-2019 at 12:39 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 07:56 AM   #16
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Just get together with other people that are like minded and form a Friend's List. You do not need rules like Our League although they are fun to play with. But they have roster limitations that you may not want. They are also 100% free to play. All you need to do is be with people that have limited funds and let everybody build their team the way they want. Since you all have limited funds nobody will be whaled. You will start at different levels but if you are all on the same friend's list. you will be with as many others as possible. You will slowly work you way up. As you all get higher league levels more of you will be together and you will draw more similar teams in the shuffle. I am in a similar group to what I am talking about. We are not looking for more so you have to start your own with your ideas. The more teams that you have; the better the experience. You do not need to keep interleague standings. Just keep to the league standings and take pride in how many of your teams make the playoffs and/or win championships. This way takes up nobody's time to gather statistics and make the game a job for some members.

The game does not need "fixed". You will ruin some players experience if you start that. Just make your own world. It is easy this way. The bonus is that you may may meet some great PT friends.

Mainly, just have fun without trying to interfere with other's fun.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 09:45 AM   #17
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

You don't think it's indicative of an issue that people have to organize outside the game and come up with their own rules in order to have fun?
Old 11-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #18
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

ecause tensions simmer. As a 14 year veteran here, I’ll offer my thoughts for consideration. If you agree, great. If not, great. They’re my opinions, nothing more.

A team of perfect cards:

Good God, what a crashing bore. There is nowhere to go, no improvement to be made, and little struggle. Would I like to do it? No…just no. Where’s the challenge? I scrape by on a low budget, and I’ve managed to win the Series in every level but Perfect. Know which team I’m proudest of? The team that won its division in Perfect and took a whale to 7 games. That guy must have been scratching his n*** saying, “How the heck is he doing this to me?”

FTP vs. whales:

I detest the Steinbrenner mentality. If you play that way, don’t feel that I detest you—I don’t. I have lots of time, and invest it—that’s my asset. You’re investing your money—a different asset. My uncle, a lawyer, used to tell me, “There’s two types of people in the world—those with money, and those with time. If you don’t have the money, you’d better make the time.” Of course, it was easy for him to say this…it didn’t take any time, and it didn’t cost any money.

Do some aspects of the game need alteration?

Sure they do. As great a product as this is, it can still improve and broaden…but there will be growing pains. Instead of infighting about them, put your thinking caps on and make suggestions. Don’t bi***—make positive suggestions. Remember, your developers walk amongst you…try finding that at EA or glu. Won’t happen. Try chatting with a programmer from Blizzard. You’d have better luck trying to meet Kim Jong Un unless you happen to be his drinking buddy IRL. Take advantage of that fact by offering up thoughtful ideas…they might get included. Not only do they walk amongst us, they actually listen.

Like I said, I’ve been here 14 seasons…and this community is without a doubt the finest group of folks I’ve associated with online. Let’s work hard to keep it that way.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:55 AM   #19
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

My "youngest" team is going up against a megawhale slumming it in Iron today (most likely).

We expect to get massacred, of course. But what kind of bragging rights is Another Iron Series to him? Nada. He's only there to harvest PP.

Devs could probably solve this on by making the PP awards variable--a cg shutout worth 5000 in perfect, 500 in Iron (or whatever the scaling works out to be).
Old 11-10-2019, 12:52 PM   #20
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

if its a real whale team that keeps throwing playoffs and relegating back to iron then report them and post the roster here