Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 01-22-2016, 03:24 PM   #1
joedog10
Bat Boy

Random Questions from a Noob

Hey Guys,

So, I've finally made the switch from The Show (which I just don't have time for anymore) to OOTP, and I'm mad at myself that I didn't get into this game sooner. I'm completely addicted. But, there's so much awesomeness to it that I feel like I'm probably missing stuff. Here's some random questions I have - any help or guidance would be appreciated! Thank you in advance.

1) When playing GM Only, is simming one day at a time the best way to go?

2) Is there an injury slider? I'd like to tone them down just a touch, but can't seem to find one anywhere.

3) Is there an easy way to get player pictures in the game? I was able to get the updated rosters via Add-On Central, but I'm not very savvy when it comes to mods or anything like that so I wasn't sure how pictures worked.

4) In my first season that I pretty much simmed through quickly just to get a feel for everything, Sale ended up with an ERA close to 4.00. Are stats like that an anomaly, or does that happen often with star players?

5) How do you handle the draft? Do you personally select every player, use your Scouting Director recommendations, or a mix of both?

6) It seems like every rating, every metric, every trait seems to actually matter, and isn't just for show. Is that correct for the most part?

7) What are the most common uses of shortlists? I had one for guys in my own minor league system that I wanted to track, and trade targets from opposing teams minor league systems.

8) I'd love to get some tips on managing my balance sheet. Are there any certain areas I really need to focus in on?

9) How strict do you have to follow the goals that the owner provides? If Shark has a terrible year and Reindsdorf wants me to re-sign him, can I get away with trading him or letting him walk? Does that put me on his radar to get canned if I do?

Any other tips or suggestions, especially for GM Only, would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to getting more involved with both the game and the OOTP community.

Thanks!
joedog10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

1. There is no best way to go. It's whatever you're comfortable with, whatever pace you enjoy the most. You'll find people who play out each game, play out last few innings, sim 1 day, sim 1 week, sim 1 month. Some even faster.

2. League setup, players and facegen tab. Injury settings there.

7. Now that we have multiple lists, I have one for draft picks, one for pitchers, one for batters, etc - I'm sure you'll get a myriad of responses for that one.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 01-22-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:22 PM   #3
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

4) Why was his ERA that? What was his BABIP?

5) I select through 5-10 rounds and then turn it over to the AI. The only problem I have with this is the AI will draft "Impossible" to sign players. You get one shot to guess their demand, if you miss they go off to college. They do not exclusively draft them , just enough to irk me.

6) Yes, height matters for 1B. There is not much that is purely aesthetic... city populations are, city locations (longitude and latitude), a few other things.

8) Fan Loyalty drives season ticket sales
Market size is the pool of money fans will spend
Fan interest will drive the rest of the stadium once season tickets are sold
Having a good idea of you financial plan a couple of years ahead is important. Because you can sim for 100s of seasons looking forward more than the next offseason is essential.

9) Winning heals ALL wounds. If you are not winning then whatever asinine idea the owner has becomes your master. I find this to be a realistic idea, job security is not logical in real baseball... unless you are winning, then you are in better shape.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:50 PM   #4
joedog10
Bat Boy

This is great stuff guys, thank you.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:01 PM   #5
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Welcome to the forum. You will find this game has depth like you've never seen.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:55 AM   #6
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

be sure to check out the other areas of the forum...such as the mods, which will let you customize the glamour of the game to your liking, and of course, the dynasties...watch what others do with this game with real, historical and fictional leagues.

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #7
ServiettedTable
Bat Boy

3- In add-on central you can find any kind of photo packs. For 2015 season you can install All-in-one 2015. If you have facegen activated (game settings Facegen/players). It's pretty nice.

For settings I strongly recomment that (if you're a noob like me):

https://www.reddit.com/r/OOTP/commen...and_trick_ive/
ServiettedTable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:05 PM   #8
joedog10
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServiettedTable View Post
3- In add-on central you can find any kind of photo packs. For 2015 season you can install All-in-one 2015. If you have facegen activated (game settings Facegen/players). It's pretty nice.

For settings I strongly recomment that (if you're a noob like me):

https://www.reddit.com/r/OOTP/commen...and_trick_ive/

This is great, thank you. I don't see an "All in one 2015" option in Add-On Central. Just a few skin files, nickname project, and the updated rosters. Am I missing something somewhere?
Old 01-24-2016, 01:30 AM   #9
DB930
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog10 View Post
This is great, thank you. I don't see an "All in one 2015" option in Add-On Central. Just a few skin files, nickname project, and the updated rosters. Am I missing something somewhere?
Go to Add-Ons Central from the start screen, then click "Add a server". Type this in: http://ootpmods.com/mods/ootpmods16.xml

Save it, and now you'll get a list with a lot more stuff on it. The All-in-One mod is right near the top.
DB930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:42 AM   #10
joedog10
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB930 View Post
Go to Add-Ons Central from the start screen, then click "Add a server". Type this in: http://ootpmods.com/mods/ootpmods16.xml

Save it, and now you'll get a list with a lot more stuff on it. The All-in-One mod is right near the top.

VERY much appreciated - thank you to everyone for being so helpful.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:24 PM   #11
Kevdog1020
Major Leagues

9) I have played a fictional league for 50+ seasons. I've managed the same team the entire time (simming one day at a time for each season to answer your other question but it's really a personal preference and you should explore different ways to sim). As long as you are winning, the other goals are pretty much suggestions from your owner. I have had years where I've completed all the goals, and years where I have only had a winning record. Still haven't gotten fired yet. Of course, it helps when you have 30+ playoff appearances and 15+ championship trophies and less than 5 losing seasons. But if your team is not very good, I suggest that you complete the goals to keep your owner from firing you. Enjoy playing, it's an amazing game.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:53 PM   #12
ServiettedTable
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB930 View Post

Sorry I forgot to tell you that
ServiettedTable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:28 PM   #13
Sam_15
Minors (Triple A)

As a fellow newbie to OOTP 16 and un-savvy with mods, what exactly does the all-in-one mod do? And is there anything further to do once it's downloaded and installed? Thanks in advance
Sam_15 is offline   Reply With Quote