Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 04-27-2015, 12:14 PM   #1
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

When do new players drop into FA

If you set up a league with no draft when do new players move into the FA pool? Is it one day or do they just randomly show up.

I've never made a league like this before and when looking at the league events there isn't an entry for new players in the FA pool.
ra7c7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #2
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
First day of the off-season, I believe.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:48 PM   #3
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

It's not the start of the off-season. That's I would have thought to though. I also checked and it's not FA filling date.

I'm going to play another season and check the FA pool everyday to see when it goes up.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:05 AM   #4
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7c7er View Post
It's not the start of the off-season. That's I would have thought to though. I also checked and it's not FA filling date.

I'm going to play another season and check the FA pool everyday to see when it goes up.
I just double checked and it is the first day of the off-season....100% guaranteed.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:38 AM   #5
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

Are we talking about guys coming in from feeder leagues or newly generated players? I don't know the answer either way (or whether it matters), but figured we may need some clarification on that part of it and it is something I have been curious about when thinking about setting up a non-draft league.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 02:27 AM   #6
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
I just double checked and it is the first day of the off-season....100% guaranteed.
Huh. I must be missing something. Although, I do have 5 leagues going. Maybe it's dumping them all at the start of the earliest leagues off-season.

Thanks.

Do you know how many players it brings in or how to adjust the number. The "world" was doing great on FAs for a few seasons and then all the sudden it's not bringing in enough players and my FA pool is down to below fifty.

Last edited by ra7c7er; 04-28-2015 at 02:30 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:29 AM   #7
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain King View Post
Are we talking about guys coming in from feeder leagues or newly generated players? I don't know the answer either way (or whether it matters), but figured we may need some clarification on that part of it and it is something I have been curious about when thinking about setting up a non-draft league.
I was talking about a no-draft league.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:30 AM   #8
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What ^^ said 100%. If not it's because you have Do not create fictional FA.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:37 AM   #9
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
What ^^ said 100%. If not it's because you have Do not create fictional FA.
I think I don't see it because their aren't very many new players coming in. Right now it would seem I have more players retiring then I am bringing in. My draft pool is barely staying afloat.

Do you know how to increase the number of players being brought in?
Old 04-28-2015, 10:25 AM   #10
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think I don't see it because their aren't very many new players coming in. Right now it would seem I have more players retiring then I am bringing in. My draft pool is barely staying afloat.

Do you know how to increase the number of players being brought in?
You cannot control this. The game will determine the correct number. With no minors, it will be just 1 or 2 players per team.

If you want to have more control, have a draft.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:45 AM   #11
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You cannot control this. The game will determine the correct number. With no minors, it will be just 1 or 2 players per team.

Or create "feeders" that just go into the free agent pool at a certain age.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #12
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

Quote:

Really only one or two? my 44 team world is only going to create at most 88 new players a year? That doesn't even cover what the game claims you need when using a draft (5 rounds minimum = 5 x the number of teams). The world per the games wanted minimum should be creating minimum 220 players every year. Right now the incoming players don't even cover the current rate of retiring players because of the way the game sets up the inaugural FA pool (every starts at age 26 for some reason).

So let me get this straight. I can't use the settings I want with a draft because of the sign and release bug. And I can't have a sustainable world with no draft because the game itself won't follow it's own rules and create enough players

I will admit if you can get through the starting glut of retiring players for 10ish years because of the starting FA pool maybe if the game created 2 players per team you could have a sustainable world BUT the amount of good+ players is going to be really low. At the minimum the game should bring in enough to cover retiring players.

Last edited by ra7c7er; 04-28-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:32 PM   #13
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Really only one or two? my 44 team world is only going to create at most 88 new players a year? That doesn't even cover what the game claims you need when using a draft (5 rounds minimum = 5 x the number of teams). The world per the games wanted minimum should be creating minimum 220 players every year. Right now the incoming players don't even cover the current rate of retiring players because of the way the game sets up the inaugural FA pool (every starts at age 26 for some reason).

So let me get this straight. I can't use the settings I want with a draft because of the sign and release bug. And I can't have a sustainable world with no draft because the game itself won't follow it's own rules and create enough players
It is fewer players than a draft, but higher quality......It is designed to sustain the league and, though I have never played that way myself, I have never heard of anyone complaining that they ran out of players.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #14
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

After 5 seasons 580 players have retired in my world. If the game only brings in max 88 players a season. Then their is obviously a problem

88*5 = 440 incoming players to a loss of 580 players.

So I've lost 580 players and only brought in a maximum of 440 in the same time frame. As I said the game at minimum should bring in enough players to cover retirement.

Again though, I will say if the game didn't start the inaugural FA pool at age 26. This wouldn't be as much of an issue. But when you have so many more players retiring then you're bringing in the game won't sustain itself long enough to get past the point it needs to till you're finally bringing in more then you're losing.

I'm going to keep track of this and see what the point the game finally starts bringing in more then it's losing.

Last edited by ra7c7er; 04-28-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:04 PM   #15
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Again though, I will say if the game didn't start the inaugural FA pool at age 26. This wouldn't be as much of an issue.
What are you talking about with the 26 year olds? This is not default behavior. I just created a test league with no minors and the inaugural draft has players from 17 to 41 years of age. I created another test league with no inaugural draft and the players' age range was the same.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:20 PM   #16
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

I'm guessing your game started with a decent enough buffer of free agents, so it doesn't feel like it quite needs to replace every retired player at the moment. From what I understand Markus does extensive testing on this sort of thing, so unless you get to a point you can actually show us that your league running out of players you don't have anything yet. Cart before the horse and all that.

That being said, I would like to know more about what type of players are being created for a no-draft/no-feeder league. I always create a feeder because I don't like the unknown.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:47 PM   #17
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

Quote:
What are you talking about with the 26 year olds? This is not default behavior. I just created a test league with no minors and the inaugural draft has players from 17 to 41 years of age. I created another test league with no inaugural draft and the players' age range was the same.
I've got a fictional independent world of 5 leagues with no age range and no draft the starting age is 26 in the FA pool. On the teams the ages range from 17 to 42 but in the FA pool the lowest age is 26.

Just made another save (with one league) to take screen shots

Team age ranges

FA pool starts at 26

I'm not sure if this is happening with other league types but it happens when creating fictional independent leagues.

Also this doesn't happen with incoming players during the year. Only the initial FA pool has this issue.

Last edited by ra7c7er; 04-28-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #18
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain King View Post
I'm guessing your game started with a decent enough buffer of free agents, so it doesn't feel like it quite needs to replace every retired player at the moment. From what I understand Markus does extensive testing on this sort of thing, so unless you get to a point you can actually show us that your league running out of players you don't have anything yet. Cart before the horse and all that.

That being said, I would like to know more about what type of players are being created for a no-draft/no-feeder league. I always create a feeder because I don't like the unknown.
Because all my leagues end at different times it's hard to find the lowest point. but as I do know my main world (5 leagues 44 teams) will run below 50 FA players (most of which are SP) during the season of the league my team is in.

I'm sure Markus does test a lot. I have no doubt that this wouldn't be as big of an issue if the FA pool didn't start at 26.

(using example from league I posted screen shots of)

If it didn't start 300+ players within 5-7 years of retirement then I could see only making 1-2 players per team a reasonable choice But when you have so many players retiring so quickly and teams expanding from their initial 25 players. the FA pool goes to nothing quick.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:57 PM   #19
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've got a fictional independent world of 5 leagues with no age range and no draft the starting age is 26 in the FA pool. On the teams the ages range from 17 to 42 but in the FA pool the lowest age is 26.
Okay, I see what you mean. That is because you started with no inaugural draft. Not sure why that is, but it is. Start with a draft and you do not have that happening.

Last edited by Questdog; 04-28-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 05:23 PM   #20
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

Thought I would post this since I said I would keep track this is the start of season 10 in the "world" the OP was about. Only 41 players in the FA pool and they are ALL pitchers. As I said the game does not create enough FAs. So when using independent leagues the amateur draft is messed up and doesn't move players to FA. So I'm told on the forums to not have a amateur draft. I let the game auto generate new FAs and that doesn't even make enough players to cover the rate of retiring players. I have to say WTF. Nothing seems to actually be working.

Also their are 1168 retired players in 9 seasons. That's 129 a year if at maximum the game generate 88 new players (2 per team) I'm going to have zero players in the FA pool NEXT YEAR. At this point even if the starting FA pool didn't start at 26 the game isn't sustaining itself.

The game recommends adding 5 players per team to keep the player talent pool good and to keep the FA pool alive SO WHY DOESN'T THE GAMES OWN PRE-PROGRAMED SETTINGS FOLLOW IT'S OWN RULE. Absolutely stupid.

Last edited by ra7c7er; 04-29-2015 at 05:52 PM.