Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:46 PM   #1
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Developing fielders

Question for the community. If I have players that I feel are offensively ready to move up to the next minor league level but struggle defensively what would your decision be? I am under the impression that fielding development isn't going to be stunted at a higher level like hitting and pitching would. Is that true? I should mention that this is a purely stats only environment. Thanks for any feedback.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
DrTobiasFunke
Minors (Single A)

Fielding shouldn't be stunted, but be aware that if you're letting your minor league managers have control, they can often put players out of position if they feel like it. I had a SS prospect that was kicking around in my minors for a couple of years that didn't improve defensively because my Minor league managers kept putting him at 2nd base. So if they are lagging on their defensive position rating compared to their raw fielding ratings be sure to use force start/use.
DrTobiasFunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
Argonaut
All Star Starter

A player will only ever be as good as his underlying Range/Error/Arm etc. ratings. It doesn't take too long to get to max experience for a position. But the underlying ratings don't tend to change much, except when getting old or injured. Could be that your player is better suited to another position. Hard to say without seeing some examples.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #4
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTobiasFunke View Post
Fielding shouldn't be stunted, but be aware that if you're letting your minor league managers have control, they can often put players out of position if they feel like it. I had a SS prospect that was kicking around in my minors for a couple of years that didn't improve defensively because my Minor league managers kept putting him at 2nd base. So if they are lagging on their defensive position rating compared to their raw fielding ratings be sure to use force start/use.
100%. I have already noticed that. I keep a tight eye on my system, you really have to. Thanks for the response.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #5
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Sorry, didn't see that you mentioned it's a stats-only environment. Fielding would definitely be tough to manage in that case! I'd like to try stats-only sometime though.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #6
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
A player will only ever be as good as his underlying Range/Error/Arm etc. ratings. It doesn't take too long to get to max experience for a position. But the underlying ratings don't tend to change much, except when getting old or injured. Could be that your player is better suited to another position. Hard to say without seeing some examples.
Good point. So since I can't see them, I should probably lean toward promotion based on the offensive output. If he develops then I have something, if not they become bench fodder or we try another position like you suggested.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #7
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrycaj View Post
Good point. So since I can't see them, I should probably lean toward promotion based on the offensive output. If he develops then I have something, if not they become bench fodder or we try another position like you suggested.
Yeah it's an interesting scenario dealing with fielding in stats-only. Depends how much you want to micromanage and pour over details. Myself I'd be inclined to look at bat-first in the minors like you say, and just let my minor league AI managers deal with fielding. And then maybe find some gloves with proven major league stats later on if I need them.
Old 11-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #8
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

Developing fielders is all about experience. So, as long as they are playing the position they are developing (up to their abilities at least).
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:52 PM   #9
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain King View Post
Developing fielders is all about experience. So, as long as they are playing the position they are developing (up to their abilities at least).
Thank you. That is what I thought but needed confirmation on.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:51 PM   #10
CBeisbol
Banned

Players should really be able to degrade at a position if they don't play it.

A guy who trains all spring at 2B, shouldn't be ready to go at LF because he played a season there in high-A ball 5 years ago

Everyone trains their players at multiple positions in the minors because it's more useful when they get to the majors. But, this isn't realistic. We don't see real teams doing this.

[/Off topic/tangent]
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:57 PM   #11
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post

A guy who trains all spring at 2B, shouldn't be ready to go at LF because he played a season there in high-A ball 5 years ago

Everyone trains their players at multiple positions in the minors because it's more useful when they get to the majors. But, this isn't realistic. We don't see real teams doing this.

[/Off topic/tangent]
I understand that. I don't think that would be happening that much, if at all in this situation. I think with ratings on and in PT that may be part of the strategy. In this setup, I have to think carefully before I change a players position because it is a long wait to see if it is successful stat wise.

Old 11-04-2019, 07:14 PM   #12
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

[/Off topic/tangent]

Although from what I read these days (for instance, in Baseball America or on the Athletic) this is the trend. I think the more historical you play perhaps this is less realistic but in the current MLB climate, developing positional flexibility seems to be more important than ever.

(Circling back to your first point though, I thought this was already mirrored in the game? I feel like I have seen players, even young players, revert to lower positional experience ratings at positions they haven't played in awhile. Or am I imagining that?)

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:11 PM   #13
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Yeah, if you haven't played a position in a while, the experience there starts to degrade.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:39 PM   #14
SkoCubs
Minors (Single A)

Quote:

[/Off topic/tangent]

But they do degrade. Hence why you’ll find prospects with 95 CF rating, but 40 LF. Also, if you’ve ever had a 3B or 2B that you stuck in LF for their age 23-24 seasons then moved back to IF to never see OF again you’ll see there often useless in the OF by 26, not because of their LF position rating. But their OF range/error/arm deteriorates rapidly.

Also, I disagree that it’s unrealistic. There’s zero reason that an MLB quality athlete at SS can’t play a passing corner outfield if he trains the entire offseason/spring training. Note I said passing, he’ll grade poorly, but he also isn’t gonna have a range of 10 feet. Think of Javy Baez, he hasn’t played OF since 2015 or 2016 which was in ST/minors. Give him 3 months and he’ll be fine in the OF.
SkoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:02 PM   #15
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
(Circling back to your first point though, I thought this was already mirrored in the game? I feel like I have seen players, even young players, revert to lower positional experience ratings at positions they haven't played in awhile. Or am I imagining that?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
Yeah, if you haven't played a position in a while, the experience there starts to degrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkoCubs View Post
But they do degrade. Hence why you’ll find prospects with 95 CF rating, but 40 LF. Also, if you’ve ever had a 3B or 2B that you stuck in LF for their age 23-24 seasons then moved back to IF to never see OF again you’ll see there often useless in the OF by 26, not because of their LF position rating. But their OF range/error/arm deteriorates rapidly.
I stand corrected
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:34 PM   #16
old fat bald guy
Minors (Triple A)

Dr. Funke's point about minor-league managers is spot on. I once had a marginal pitching prospect who was a very good hitter and could play as a catcher. I'd invite him to spring training and use him as a catcher, then send him down and he'd pitch. When I stopped sending him down he became a really good No. 2 catcher.
old fat bald guy is offline   Reply With Quote