Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:13 PM   #1
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Did It ! A world without Major Leagues !

It took a bunch of tried to get the formula right. But I got it.

I wanted a world of only the most important minor leagues. So I set up a league in 1930.

There were seven historical minor leagues at the time. Two, the DE level Blue Ridge and the Mississipi Valley leagues, I first emptied rosters for, making their players all free agents, then I erased the leagues.

Then I consolidated the Texas League and the Western League by moving all the Texas League teams into the Western League, creating two divisions. I cleared all of their rosters and eliminated two teams from each league, creating two six-team divisions in the new Western League.

I cleared rosters in the International League, and took over the Newark Bears team. And I cleared rosters in the Negro National League and in the Pacific Coast League.

I cleared rosters in the Major Leagues, got rid of the Color Barrier, and then eliminated all of the free agents in the Major Leagues - that is, all MLB players and then eliminated the Major Leagues.

I then created an Association of the four remaining leagues: the International League, the Negro National League, the Pacific Coast League and the new, enlarged Western League.

I clicked "create a fantasy draft" for all of the leagues after having clicked the Association option to have the inaugural, rookie-first year player, and Rule 5 drafts in common.

I set up a common playoff system where the winners of the International League and the winner of the Negro League face off in a regional championship (most of the teams being in the East or South or Midwest in each of those leagues; and another where the champions of the Western and that of the Pacific Coast League play for the West region championship.

The winners of those two rounds face each other in the National Championship.

Here is my roster for 1930. All teams, including those in the Negro League, are integrated and include white and black players.

Somehow, in the common draft including all 36 teams, Satchel Paige was available a few rounds in and I drafted him !

As you can see, I have 2-3 major league players. The rest are mostly unknown to me. We'll see how they perform.
Attached Images
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #2
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Cool stuff! Just wondering what your structural plans are moving forward. Are you going to at some point introduce the American Association and other high-profile minor leagues? And/or expand your four leagues to include some of the larger MLB & AA cities? Or?

Or maybe you haven't decided yet... Either way, and keep us posted!
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:54 PM   #3
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Cool stuff! Just wondering what your structural plans are moving forward. Are you going to at some point introduce the American Association and other high-profile minor leagues? And/or expand your four leagues to include some of the larger MLB & AA cities? Or?

Or maybe you haven't decided yet... Either way, and keep us posted!
I'm gonna be honest. Since the MLB doesn't exist, I don't know what happens.

I think that two things happen automatically: 1. players, including major leaguers show up in our subsequent four-league Association first-year player draft each year. I may wean out some of the stars, but leave some of those that had real minor league careers with some years in the majors in, since they fit with the league idea; and 2. that other historical minor leagues will just show up.

As to this issue, the really low minors I may just eliminate and let their players show up in our draft, some being good enough to take on potential ability, some left undrafted maybe. But the AA and others leagues that are AA and AAA probably require us expanding. So when they hit even numbers, I may do the same combining thing I did with the Texas and Western leagues, or else just add them as a further round in our playoff system which may end up being like the NCAA eventually !

But since the main problem with the minors is not having enoug players for real rosters if you are no longer servants of the big leagues, then the more the merrier, with the occasional culling of the herd so that with enough players and just a few fewer teams overall, there should be enough to maintain the current 25 player active rosters, but hopefully within a few years get to at least 15 man reserve rosters as well.

The games are fun so far - my Bears are 1-2 - Satchel Paige did win his first start against Rochester, but I left him in for one batter too long, and Tom Padden, a catcher who apparently later played for the Pittsburgh Pirates for a few years, but who in 1930 was playing for the Baltimore Orioles of the same International League (AAA), and who is on Rochester's Red Wings in my world (also in the International League), hit his second homer of the day off Satchel, this one with the bases loaded to temporarily lose the lead.

My guys came back in the bottom of the 7th with three home runs and regained the lead and I have discovered a relief pitcher named Roosevelt Davis (great baseball name) a Negro League pitcher for the historical St. Louis Stars, who I am hoping will prove my reliable bullpen man. He shut the Red Wings down for two innings and we won.

But the St. Louis Stars of 1930 must have been awesome - They had Cool Papa Bell, and two sluggers I had never heard of till I started this game - Willie Wells, a shortstop who in my world plays for the Negro League Chicago American Giants, and Firstbaseman Mule Suttles, who plays for the Seattle Indians of the Pacific Coast League in my world, both of whom hit over 40 homers that real life historical year.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:47 PM   #4
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

Cool. Mule Suttles just showed up in my 1922 draft.

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #5
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Well, the Newark Bears are now 5-2. Our pitching got mauled by a tough Buffalo Bisons team, led by future major leaguer Dolph Camilli. Down 11-4 in the 9th however, we rallied - we got a run on a couple of hits, loaded the bases and our First Baseman Jim Ogleby, who played many years in the minors but apparently played only 3 games in MLB with Philadelphia in his long career, hit a grand slam homer. George Selkirk, whom you all know, but who is currently 22 and will not replace Babe Ruth on the non-existent Yankees in this world, homered as well, back-to-back homers making it a one-run game. We came up short though, as Walt French grounded out.
Attached Images
Old 04-13-2019, 08:41 AM   #6
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Oh, that is not the historic Newark Bears logo. I let my daughter pick out the team logo from the logos/nicknames file and she of course went with the cute teddy bear holding a bat. Strikes terror in the hearts of the opposition no?
Old 04-17-2019, 12:04 AM   #7
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

So, no major league players either? How will you have enough players to fill 36 clubs?
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #8
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyvol View Post
So, no major league players either? How will you have enough players to fill 36 clubs?
I honestly don't know how it works. The system should still generate the historical players that played in both the minors and majors and I have set up a rookie draft. So I think everyone will be available for the four-league association I have set up. But maybe it won't work and this will be a one-season wonder. Will find out soon.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:19 PM   #9
italyprof
All Star Reserve

HERE ARE THE RESULTS FOR THE 1930 SEASON !

First, for my Newark Bears, with George Selkirk and Satchel Paige, in the International League:
Attached Images
Old 04-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #10
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Here are the league stats for 1930 for the International League:
Old 04-19-2019, 05:37 PM   #11
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Here is where things stand in the now somewhat misnamed Negro League, the Pacific Coast League and the Western League (merged with the former Texas League):
Attached Images
Old 04-19-2019, 05:47 PM   #12
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Here is how it all ended up in each league and in the Association playoffs between the league champions:
Attached Images
Old 04-19-2019, 05:54 PM   #13
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Oh well. It's a one-year thing I guess. The computer created fictional players for the amateur draft instead of providing the 1931 rookies all across the board as I had hoped. It DID work in putting together a single draft involving all the teams in all the leagues in one draft. But the players are not the real historical ones. Maybe there is a command that would fix this, so I have backed it up. But for now it looks like I have to let the Association lay for a while, as I don't want to play with fictional players. The whole point was a world where the minor league players from that time WERE the players. Not sure if there is another way to do it, except maybe to just eliminate all the major league players and then have a draft involving all the minor league players into the majors. But I wanted the minor league teams to be the world, and for one year, they have been. That has been fun, at least. If anyone has any ideas, please feel encouraged to post them. I won't erase this league as there may yet be a way to get the historical players back into the drafts even without a major league world.
Old 04-20-2019, 11:52 AM   #14
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

If you wanted the historical players, why did you initially delete the MLB players? You can still import the historical players who began their career.in whatever year you in.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:44 PM   #15
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyvol View Post
If you wanted the historical players, why did you initially delete the MLB players? You can still import the historical players who began their career.in whatever year you in.
Cause with historical minors there's no shortage of players. I wanted those players, not the MLB ones. And for a season that is what I got. But the new layer draft instead now provides only fictional ones.