Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-06-2019, 12:29 AM   #1
fredbeene
All Star Starter

70s closer - no 7th or later

Say i want bruce sutter to close the game and finish the final 3 innings.
How do I set his primary role.

Usage option for closer longest is 8th or later

Also - if you have a secondary closer when do they get used as closer.
I assume it has to do with primary closer fatigue level
If primary closr a 71% fatigue, how does that change his performane?
I want my secondary to come in any time the fatigue level alters their performance
fredbeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:31 AM   #2
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Try stopper.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:55 AM   #3
TPinrose
Minors (Double A)

Stopper set to 7th and Close Game.
TPinrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:58 AM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

closers werent a thing until the 80's and even then probably more like a stopper until eckersly really shifted things. still a transition period even in 80's. heck, you could still find 4-man rotations in the early-to-mid 80's.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #5
fredbeene
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPinrose View Post
Stopper set to 7th and Close Game.
thx - so what happens if you have a stopper and closer.
what happens if you have a stopper in secondary role? you can't chose the usage option
Old 04-06-2019, 04:59 PM   #6
italyprof
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbeene View Post
thx - so what happens if you have a stopper and closer.
what happens if you have a stopper in secondary role? you can't chose the usage option
My guess is that the stopper then becomes a sort of two inning or more setup man.

I remember Fred Beene. When I was 12-13 and watched the 1972-3 Yankees, he had this amazing curve ball. Seemed unhittable. Having him in the same bullpen with Sparky was a great thing. Got traded to Cleveland and I remember being sorry, though we got Chris Chambliss in that trade.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #7
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Stopper and closer aren't inconsistent roles. If a team has both, the stopper will come in if the game is close in the late innings, then give way to the closer. If the game isn't close, a setup man will precede the closer, and the stopper will enter only if the setup man or the closer runs into trouble.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:23 PM   #8
TPinrose
Minors (Double A)

What I do is set one of my setup guys to stopper secondarily.
TPinrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:58 PM   #9
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
closers werent a thing until the 80's and even then probably more like a stopper until eckersly really shifted things. still a transition period even in 80's. heck, you could still find 4-man rotations in the early-to-mid 80's.
That's not exactly true. There were five pitchers in MLB in 1975 with 20 or more saves and Rollie Fingers led the way for games finished with 59 with eleven other pitchers having 40 or more. Whatever you want to call it, there was certainly a recognized role for something similar to a closer even in 1975.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:11 PM   #10
fredbeene
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVeal View Post
Stopper and closer aren't inconsistent roles. If a team has both, the stopper will come in if the game is close in the late innings, then give way to the closer. If the game isn't close, a setup man will precede the closer, and the stopper will enter only if the setup man or the closer runs into trouble.
If you only have set up and closer and another pitcher as a secondary closer, when does the secondary get to pitch?

Essentially i am manually go in an swapping closer 1 and closer 2 when 1 is 30% tired because the AI doesn't seem to do it
Or if one goes cold
(jim palmer and juan marichal)

I have tried stopper in secondar...hasn't really done anything
Old 04-06-2019, 11:21 PM   #11
fredbeene
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by italyprof View Post
My guess is that the stopper then becomes a sort of two inning or more setup man.

I remember Fred Beene. When I was 12-13 and watched the 1972-3 Yankees, he had this amazing curve ball. Seemed unhittable. Having him in the same bullpen with Sparky was a great thing. Got traded to Cleveland and I remember being sorry, though we got Chris Chambliss in that trade.
Ha - my father always cursed the indians trades of chamblis and nettles.
Fred was always this mysterious figure to me with what i thought was a cool card...falling into the whatever happened too category....

I am hellbent on replaying the 70s and give a little extra attention to fred and develop him into at least a 10 year vet : )

BTW there are some really interesting 70s card sites on twitter
and bottomcards, SARB and FlagstaffFilms have HOME footage in good quality of players i never got to see play....i think the OOTP developers need to watch them for research!!! : )
youtube as old radio broadcast that i find fascinating
Links from here: https://twitter.com/BottommsCards
Ryans first appearance https://youtu.be/JFbRgafVFv4

PT have intrduced me to tons of old players i now find as fascinating as fred beene : )

Last edited by fredbeene; 04-06-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:18 PM   #12
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

I messed with this before.My experience with this is If you use the Stopper and Closer on the same staff your Closer will see very little action. IIRC the Closer will Pitch 25-30 ip your stopper would have gotten and be used mainly when your Stopper is tired and that's IF you have no Stopper listed as a secondary role. Rarely did I ever see them Pitch in the same game
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 06:07 PM   #13
fredbeene
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
I messed with this before.My experience with this is If you use the Stopper and Closer on the same staff your Closer will see very little action. IIRC the Closer will Pitch 25-30 ip your stopper would have gotten and be used mainly when your Stopper is tired and that's IF you have no Stopper listed as a secondary role. Rarely did I ever see them Pitch in the same game
Why doesn't the documentation provide greater insight??
thinking out loud
Old 04-07-2019, 09:34 PM   #14
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredbeene View Post
Why doesn't the documentation provide greater insight??
thinking out loud
Probably because there is no defining Historical line between the Stopper and the Closer Roles as far as when one was implemented over the other. Were only know it happened in the 80's. It was a gradual evolution at times there were teams still using a Stopper and some teams going with the Closer. The main difference being the number of Innings worked and the point of entry. Stoppers would come in and finish games as early as the 7th inning, sometimes pitching more than 3ip, Closers Historically never went longer than 2 innings and usually 1 or less more often than more than 1. The only thing for certain is that teams went with one or the other during the time when these roles overlapped and for the most part No Teams utilized both on the same Staff. There can only be one guy who finishes the game regardless of when he comes in.

Since these 2 Roles were never actually used together Historically, It is probably impossible to give "greater insight" into how the game will act when a team chooses to do that.
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:42 PM   #15
Big Train
Major Leagues

My preferred way to set it up is Best reliever Stopper- 7th inning or more +close or lead. Secondary role:High leverage. Second best reliever: Primary setup 6th or later + secondary stopper. This seems to maximize the amount that the best two relief pitchers pitch although the second guy will get most of the saves (if you care).
Big Train is offline   Reply With Quote