Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #21
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
And not just fringe players. How many free agents of any caliber have ever sat out a season? If it's Spring Training and a three star SS hasn't signed with a team yet, he'll be getting desperate. BUT make sure that all desperation contracts are one year only to prevent abuse; even that desperate SS wouldn't sign a crappy multi-year deal.
Love the 1 year contract idea.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:56 PM   #22
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Fictional Leagues----The number of guys that play multiple positions in a fictional league really needs to be reduced. Compare any fictional league roster to a real/historical roster and it's easy to see that problem. I really think this plays a big part in the substitution problems others are talking about. Guys rated to play all over the field should be few and far between, but when they are created, they should be fringe types ala Don Kelly. Sure once in a while the game could produce a Tony Phillips, but there shouldn't be 2-4 such players on every roster.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #23
Gil Thorp
Major Leagues

Better AI logic when choosing bench players, especially in non DH leagues. For example, the AI will carry backup outfielders that are lousy at one position and slugs on the basepaths instead of guys that are decent to good at all three positions and can run a little bit. As has been mentioned, defensive substitution in general really needs to be improved.
Gil Thorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #24
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Everything David Watts has said so far.

Also, how about no longer removing players from the depth chart when you remove them as a defensive replacement? If you have a guy listed as both a backup player at LF, and as a defensive replacement at LF, if you remove him from the defensive replacement column, he gets removed from the depth chart, as well. It's a pain in the rear end when you have to go through this for all 4 lineups, just to take someone off of the defensive replacement list.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #25
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Indeed. It would be quite cool to be able to customize the default view.
You can customize all the views. My batting and pitching stats 1 have the relavent modern stats like wOBA WAR, FIP, BABIP and others that I like. The default view has personality attributes and contract status etc.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #26
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Something that has been around since OOTP 7(the introduction of wild cards) is the inability to have a 1 subleague/1division league and have it operate properly with playoffs disabled. Prior to 7, you could do this and if 2 teams finished tied for the lead at the end of the season, a 1 game playoff game would be scheduled with the winner crowned champion. Now, you have to manually schedule such a game. Also, if 2 teams finish the season tied for 2nd place, the game will now schedule a meaningless playoff game to crown the true league runner up. OOTP6.5 and earlier versions did not do this, so I'm sure it has something to do with the wild card coding.

Would love to see this fixed, but I understand very few people play this type of league, so I understand if it is given low priority. Just the request of a fool that thinks college footballs regular season is the best regular season on earth, but hardly gives a hoot about the bowl games
Old 01-16-2014, 02:25 PM   #27
le receveur
All Star Starter

not sure if this is Legacy (i'm new to OOTP14), but the evolution of stats in the minors, where some stats like PB and BB go off expectation charts (i ended up with a Rookie league having an average 47 runs per games, because i didn't know).

Now at least twice a year i have to go and make sure the factors are not going out of lines (especially in leagues where i have no affiliates)
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #28
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
You can customize all the views. My batting and pitching stats 1 have the relavent modern stats like wOBA WAR, FIP, BABIP and others that I like. The default view has personality attributes and contract status etc.
Right, but what we're saying is that we want that view that we've customized to be the one that ALWAYS appears when we go to the roster, lineup or pitching staff screens.

EDIT: Sorry, I misread your post at first. What you're saying is great ... if we knew Stats 1 would always appear, but it doesn't.

Last edited by BIG17EASY; 01-16-2014 at 02:33 PM.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:28 PM   #29
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
not sure if this is Legacy (i'm new to OOTP14), but the evolution of stats in the minors, where some stats like PB and BB go off expectation charts (i ended up with a Rookie league having an average 47 runs per games, because i didn't know).

Now at least twice a year i have to go and make sure the factors are not going out of lines (especially in leagues where i have no affiliates)
Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that it was determined that these problems with PB and other statistical anomalies was a a function of ratings and modifiers associated with the QS roster set and not with game configuration or game engine problems. In other words, these may be legacy problems with the roster set but not the game as such.
JohnHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #30
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

I have only played the last two versions of the game but this happened in both of them.

The problems with the Rule 5 Draft where the same player can get drafted multiple times by multiple teams.

It seems that a team will draft a player and then either not have a spot for him or just NOT put him on the roster. Then the next team picks him. Then the next team picks him.

This happens a LOT. I have seen players who were picked 10-20 times in one draft.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:46 PM   #31
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Really hope the bug where the league that wins the All Star game gets home field in the post season finally gets fixed........oh wait
Old 01-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #32
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHoward View Post
Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that it was determined that these problems with PB and other statistical anomalies was a a function of ratings and modifiers associated with the QS roster set and not with game configuration or game engine problems. In other words, these may be legacy problems with the roster set but not the game as such.
That's my understanding as well. I think we'll get the roster set issues straightened out before release this year so this shouldn't be a problem going forward.
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #33
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, but the point is that any custom view you set up should stick for the screen you set it up for.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:24 PM   #34
RchW
Hall Of Famer

This will seem like an echo of other posts. When I say good or poor it means a wide range crossing at league average.

Poor hitting infielders not at least league average defensively should not exist past the low minors. They are the 4th of 4 groups that make up all batters. If some rare development is needed for a late bloomer it should be primarily defense. There is no logical basis for a poor hitting poor fielding infielder getting out of the A level of minors.

Group 3 good hit poor field should be rare in HS and rarer in College and never be poor fielding at multiple position. That defies logic. In early development a good hit poor field player will be a DH, at 1B maybe LF. No coach or College or pro team is going to play him any innings at CF or 2B SS. Other than an Uggla rule exception. good hit poor field players should never be SS or 2B. They should become corner OF>>1B>>3B in declining order. Other than the Uggla exception these players should have holes in the "good batter" skills that make them useful but not consistently better than league average. League statistical output and the resulting AI evaluation must apply a bigger penalty to poor defense such that a lesser (not bad) hitter but average or better fielder is the correct choice more often.

Group 2 poor hit good field. Should be the biggest group of players in any pool and the majority of player development both good and bad should occur in this group. Many players will cross back and forth from the smaller group 1 good hit good field. Most major league backup hitters, platoon hitters or injury replacements should be from this group. Infielders who decline in hitting may see a slight boost in defensive skills, something common IRL. Multi-position players should only come from this group (rare superstar exceptions) and this capability should come later in development not earlier, usually correlated with hitting decline or plateau. Learning multi positions early (human or AI interference playing multiple positions at once) should carry a risk of inhibiting hitting development but if done organically, say one position at a time to fill a need then that would reward realistic player use.

All players should have a primary position unless designated as "utility". When playing your primary position 100% of the defensive skill ratings available apply. When playing the next best position (even if the skills are apparently tied for first) there is a % reduction say 3%-10% that lasts for 45 games. So 15 games at -10%, 15 games at -7% and 15 games at -5%. After 45 games the player continues at the baseline -3%. If development continued and made the new position the primary one the the player would get 100% of available ratings. To make this work players would have two positions designated, a primary and a play position. Players could be played out of position but the penalty would be known.

Players set to utility would have a permanent drop say 10% or more in defensive skills across all positions but no big drop for learning. This would limit utility players to very good fielders and discourage overuse of the specialty but still allow the development engine to work normally.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #35
Doc_Brown
All Star Starter

I can't believe so many of you fell for Markus' trap! I'd delete your posts before he sees them and bans you.
Doc_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:36 PM   #36
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This will seem like an echo of other posts. When I say good or poor it means a wide range crossing at league average.

Poor hitting infielders not at least league average defensively should not exist past the low minors. They are the 4th of 4 groups that make up all batters. If some rare development is needed for a late bloomer it should be primarily defense. There is no logical basis for a poor hitting poor fielding infielder getting out of the A level of minors.

Group 3 good hit poor field should be rare in HS and rarer in College and never be poor fielding at multiple position. That defies logic. In early development a good hit poor field player will be a DH, at 1B maybe LF. No coach or College or pro team is going to play him any innings at CF or 2B SS. Other than an Uggla rule exception. good hit poor field players should never be SS or 2B. They should become corner OF>>1B>>3B in declining order. Other than the Uggla exception these players should have holes in the "good batter" skills that make them useful but not consistently better than league average. League statistical output and the resulting AI evaluation must apply a bigger penalty to poor defense such that a lesser (not bad) hitter but average or better fielder is the correct choice more often.

Group 2 poor hit good field. Should be the biggest group of players in any pool and the majority of player development both good and bad should occur in this group. Many players will cross back and forth from the smaller group 1 good hit good field. Most major league backup hitters, platoon hitters or injury replacements should be from this group. Infielders who decline in hitting may see a slight boost in defensive skills, something common IRL. Multi-position players should only come from this group (rare superstar exceptions) and this capability should come later in development not earlier, usually correlated with hitting decline or plateau. Learning multi positions early (human or AI interference playing multiple positions at once) should carry a risk of inhibiting hitting development but if done organically, say one position at a time to fill a need then that would reward realistic player use.

All players should have a primary position unless designated as "utility". When playing your primary position 100% of the defensive skill ratings available apply. When playing the next best position (even if the skills are apparently tied for first) there is a % reduction say 3%-10% that lasts for 45 games. So 15 games at -10%, 15 games at -7% and 15 games at -5%. After 45 games the player continues at the baseline -3%. If development continued and made the new position the primary one the the player would get 100% of available ratings. To make this work players would have two positions designated, a primary and a play position. Players could be played out of position but the penalty would be known.

Players set to utility would have a permanent drop say 10% or more in defensive skills across all positions but no big drop for learning. This would limit utility players to very good fielders and discourage overuse of the specialty but still allow the development engine to work normally.
I hope this doesn't scare RchW away from these forums, but if there was ever a time I wanted to hug a forum member, this is it. So very well said. Wow!

Last edited by David Watts; 01-16-2014 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 04:48 PM   #37
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Brown View Post
I can't believe so many of you fell for Markus' trap! I'd delete your posts before he sees them and bans you.
but you already know he will ban us. not sure we can change any of that.
Old 01-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #38
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHoward View Post
i'll take this to the Newbie Forum, as i'm not sure what it means. thanks
Old 01-16-2014, 06:34 PM   #39
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
but you already know he will ban us. not sure we can change any of that.
Dangit! You beat me to this...
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #40
thehef
Hall Of Famer

1. In the form of an example: Koufax and Drysdale start the last two games of the season, despite the Dodgers holding a 15-game lead, thus forcing Singer and Moeller to start games one and two of the World Series. I don't care if there are no other rested starters available, in real life the manager would start a reliever and pretty much do whatever is possible to avoid using his aces.

2. Somewhat realistic default historical playoff scheduling - LGO has (I believe) proposed ideas along the lines of realistic postseason scheduling that factor in era and geography. These would be awesome. However, even minimal improvements that do away with - for example - the mirrored schedule (where ALCS and NLCS are scheduled to take place on the same days, with the same off days, etc.), and that default to the 2-3 format ('69 thru '84) rather than the 2-2-1, would be great. (Having said this, I am grateful that we have the option to modify the playoff schedule to our liking.)

3. Given as far as OOTP has come and how vast and deep it is in so many areas, it's puzzling that the end-of-season/postseason is so overlooked. As noted in posts above, clinching games and various postseason events are overlooked. And despite the fact that lots of history is stored in OOTP, very little can be found about prior postseasons - beyond basic results - without having to resort to the almanac or manually saving boxscores, etc. The new playoff summary is cool, but it disappears and can't be saved.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote