Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 04-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #1
Smokeydubbs
Bat Boy

Amateur Prospect Question

So I'm a relatively new player to OOTP in general and haven't really gone through testing things yet. I got last year's version about a month before 14 was announced and I kind of lost interest with all the offseason stuff happening with my team. I'm mostly focused on MLB present day, I'mma get my Royals a dang WS title.

Anyway, I'm to my first draft and I'm scouring through the prospects. I have a couple questions relating to their personality and potential. I've read through the manual for the most relevant stuff and I'm still curious.

So I've read POT can change over the years. I understand the variables involved to increase or decrease. But is it possible for a one star POT to become a 4 or 5?

If they can, I was hoping to look for indicators that a guy has a good chance to blow up. Things like a high work ethic and desire to win. While I know not every hard worker has the tools become elite *cough*Francoeur*cough**sneeze*Getz*sneeze*, I think it wouldn't hurt to sometimes gamble on some guy.

Anyway, if you guys have any decent tips on finding that diamond in the rough, or possibly red flags on potential stars, I'm all for it.
Smokeydubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeydubbs View Post
So I'm a relatively new player to OOTP in general and haven't really gone through testing things yet. I got last year's version about a month before 14 was announced and I kind of lost interest with all the offseason stuff happening with my team. I'm mostly focused on MLB present day, I'mma get my Royals a dang WS title.

Anyway, I'm to my first draft and I'm scouring through the prospects. I have a couple questions relating to their personality and potential. I've read through the manual for the most relevant stuff and I'm still curious.

So I've read POT can change over the years. I understand the variables involved to increase or decrease. But is it possible for a one star POT to become a 4 or 5?

If they can, I was hoping to look for indicators that a guy has a good chance to blow up. Things like a high work ethic and desire to win. While I know not every hard worker has the tools become elite *cough*Francoeur*cough**sneeze*Getz*sneeze*, I think it wouldn't hurt to sometimes gamble on some guy.

Anyway, if you guys have any decent tips on finding that diamond in the rough, or possibly red flags on potential stars, I'm all for it.
Intelligence and Work Ethic are key. I always look for players with at least Normal ratings in both of those categories. Also, take into consideration the level of competition they faced in high school or college. Go with players who faced at least Average competition. If one has Very High in one and Very Low in the other, and they faced Poor competition in HS or college, then it's been my experience that those players usually become nothing more than organizational depth. But if their level of competition is at least Average and they only have a good rating in one category, then I will usually take a flyer on them, especially if I have a need for their position.
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Short answer: yes. :P
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #4
Vinnyvagus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSL Commish View Post
Intelligence and Work Ethic are key. I always look for players with at least Normal ratings in both of those categories. Also, take into consideration the level of competition they faced in high school or college. Go with players who faced at least Average competition. If one has Very High in one and Very Low in the other, and they faced Poor competition in HS or college, then it's been my experience that those players usually become nothing more than organizational depth. But if their level of competition is at least Average and they only have a good rating in one category, then I will usually take a flyer on them, especially if I have a need for their position.
Where does it show you the competition rating a player has faced?
Vinnyvagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:58 PM   #5
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

It's in the bottom left panel where it shows you the height, weight, etc. of the currently selected player from the draft pool. I believe it is also in the lower left of the player profile screen for players in the draft pool.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:06 AM   #6
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
It's in the bottom left panel where it shows you the height, weight, etc. of the currently selected player from the draft pool. I believe it is also in the lower left of the player profile screen for players in the draft pool.
Yeah, when you look at the draft pool and click on a player's profile, the bottom left will tell you what high school or college they are from and the level of competition they faced.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:27 PM   #7
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSL Commish View Post
I have never payed attention to this. Thanks for mentioning it.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:51 PM   #8
Vinnyvagus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I have gone into the Draft Pool and selected a player. I see where it mentions the school or college but I don't see where it says the level of competition he has faced. The screen shot shows what I see.
Attached Images
Vinnyvagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnyvagus View Post
I have gone into the Draft Pool and selected a player. I see where it mentions the school or college but I don't see where it says the level of competition he has faced. The screen shot shows what I see.
Hmm, that's weird. This is what I see on my latest draft pool:

These usually show up on draft day when I drag a player into the draft box, too.