Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 07-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Feeder League Guide

I am seeing a lot of post asking about feeder leagues. I would like to request the board mods to sticky this or some other posts about feeders. Here are the basics.

1. Before deciding on number of feeders you need to decide how many draft rounds to use. The rule of thumb is you need 5 new players for each level of minors to replace guys who you want to cut are on long term injuries, retire, etc.

Formula for suggested draft rounds.
Rounds = 5 * levels of minors

In a standard MLB setup you have AAA, AA, two A teams, Short A, 2 rookie levels. That is 7 levels so you need 35 rounds.

2. Number of feeder teams needed = (number of teams in league * number of draft rounds)/6

Each team feeder team produces 6 to 9 players for the draft. So dividing the number of players needed for the draft and dividing by 6 gives you the minimum number of feeders you need.

**** important note *****
I forgot this in the original post. When adding feeders the game will change your number of draft rounds and players generated for X rounds to 81. You have to go back and change these settings. If you leave generate players for X rounds at 81, the game will generate players to fill a 81 round draft! Most set this number = to draft rounds. Some people generate players for 5 more rounds so there will be rookie free agents. If generate players for X > draft rounds use your generate players for X rounds in the formula above.

Also if you use default settings the majority of players entering the draft from high school will usually be 19 and the majority of players coming from college will usually be 22. If you want to change this you can change league rules. You can set minimum and maximum ages lower. NB: The age limits on league rules is different from the age range under league options. The later sets at what age players will be created. If you want maximum time in feeders for all players after the league is created set created minimum and maximum age to the lowest age allowed in your league.

An example from my high school leagues.
Rules
Age max 17
Age min 14
Players will mostly be 18 when they enter the draft.

Options
created age min 14
created age max 14

All new players enter as freshman and will play until they reach 18. By default new players can enter at any age that is allowable in your league so some guys get 4 years playing time some get 1. My preference is all get 4 years but it is realistic some guys just do not take up HS baseball until their junior or senior year.
*** Note ****
After some testing it seems at times OOTP may create larger draft classes if the created age min = rules min and created age max = rules max. The game can create older feeder league players that cause some classes to be larger than the 6 to 9 players per team per draft being draft eligible. This will not ruin your game but if want each team to produce a consistent 6 to 9 players that are draft eligible for a year then setting created age min and max to rules age min keeps the draft eligible players per team in that range.

FAQ
Q: Can I have more draft rounds?
A: Absolutely. Just remember talent is distributed in something like a bell curve. The more rounds you have the more high and low level talent are generated. So over time the league might increase in quality.

Q: Can I have fewer or more feeders?
A: The answer again is yes. If you have too few feeders to produce a draft class the game will generate the extra players needed. If you have too many there will be undrafted free agents. Again note the number of feeders affects how many players are created. Too many will likely mean your league increases in quality over time. That may be what you intend to do.

Q: Do players go from high school to college?
A: Yes and no. High school leagues do not act as feeders for college. So players do not always go from HS to college. Undrafted HS players will go to college until their age reaches the age limit and drafted but unsigned players will go to college (edited: my original info was dated).

Q: What mix of college and high school teams do I need?
A: This is mostly preference. In real life some rookie leagues have age limits but OOTP does not enforce these. So you don't have to worry about too many older players not being able to play say in the AZL, which used to have limits. The only real thing to note here is young players are less developed and it takes them longer to develop on average. That means more chance for injuries and random talent hits while they are in the minors. So HS players are a bigger gamble in the draft. From my experience, it seems like college players are more likely to hit their full talent. The difference is not huge though. So how you divide teams between college and high school becomes more preference. Having all college or all high school will not adversely affect your game. It should be noted though that college players are often ready for A ball and some are close to AA at the draft while HS players rarely are.

These are just the very basics any contributions are welcome.

Last edited by Biggio509; 07-28-2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Results from testing added.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #2
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggio509 View Post
Q: Do players go from high school to college?
Yes and no. A player will never graduate high school and enter college in the game. However, if not signed after being drafted HS players will "attend college" they will not go to your college feeders rather than come back in the draft with college stats and college selected from the database. Unless you manually edit a player, a player who starts in a HS feeder will never enter a college feeder league.
I believe this is inaccurate. HS players not drafted do go to College. I saw it myself yesterday and I know folks have mentioned it on the board before.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
boshk
All Star Reserve

the game also doesnt properly move players along some times. i have to manually go through each high school team at the end of the year to kick out players. otherwise a few end up playing 5-6 years, when they should have only played 3-4. i wish you could set up some sort of eligibility, as in, you only have 4 years of eligibility in high school, or college. there are some independent minor leagues that have such rules (only so many players aged X, Y, Z. you can only play X number of years, and you can only have so many players who have played in professional baseball), so it would be nice to add to the game anyways.
boshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshk View Post
the game also doesnt properly move players along some times. i have to manually go through each high school team at the end of the year to kick out players. otherwise a few end up playing 5-6 years, when they should have only played 3-4. i wish you could set up some sort of eligibility, as in, you only have 4 years of eligibility in high school, or college. there are some independent minor leagues that have such rules (only so many players aged X, Y, Z. you can only play X number of years, and you can only have so many players who have played in professional baseball), so it would be nice to add to the game anyways.
Have you tried using the age limit option for your leagues? ie: no younger than 15 no older than 19, or whatever ages you prefer.
Bluenoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
boshk
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Have you tried using the age limit option for your leagues? ie: no younger than 15 no older than 19, or whatever ages you prefer.
yes, i set it 15-18. its not uncommon for players to play at age 19 (prior to the season starting) if i'm not paying attention.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
GrantDawg
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I believe this is inaccurate. HS players not drafted do go to College. I saw it myself yesterday and I know folks have mentioned it on the board before.
I can confirm this. Not all undrafted players will go to college (a few will), but just about all drafted, unsigned players will go. They will go to the feeder college for a full four years.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #7
GrantDawg
All Star Reserve

Quote:
yes, i set it 15-18. its not uncommon for players to play at age 19 (prior to the season starting) if i'm not paying attention.
Yes, they will. But it really isn't that big a deal (pretty easy for a guy to be 19 his senior year depending on when his birthday falls). I'd have more problem with 20 year olds.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:57 PM   #8
byzeil
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I can confirm this. Not all undrafted players will go to college (a few will), but just about all drafted, unsigned players will go. They will go to the feeder college for a full four years.
I too can confirm this. I have 3 feeder leagues; HS, JUCO (2yr COL), and COL. I have seen players drafted/failed to sign and not drafted do onto either of my college feeder leagues only to be drafted again after there term at the college. I have also seen HS grads sign FA contracts. Player's history shows HS stats and COL stats from my feeder leagues.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #9
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Seen this myself back before I gave up on feeder leagues. Thought it was a bit odd.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:21 PM   #10
Pete Grassi
Major Leagues

Quote:
2. Number of feeders needed = (number of teams in league * number of draft rounds)/6

Each team feeder team produces 6 to 9 players for the draft. So dividing the number of players needed for the draft and dividing by 6 gives you the minimum number of feeders you need.
Number of feeders needed refers to teams or leagues?
Pete Grassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #11
Corsairs
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
2. Number of feeders needed = (number of teams in league * number of draft rounds)/6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Grassi View Post
Number of feeders needed refers to teams or leagues?
I believe Biggio is referring to number of feeder leagues required in that formula.
Corsairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:44 PM   #12
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My info may be dated then. In previous versions that did not happen. There was no way for the HS leagues to feed the college leagues. I suppose this was changed in 12 or sometime in 11 and I had not noticed it.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #13
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsairs View Post
I believe Biggio is referring to number of feeder leagues required in that formula.
Sorry it should be teams. You can divide those teams into as many or as few leagues as you want. Although, having a giant league with say 176 teams might lead to a very long play off if you have playoffs on.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:27 AM   #14
Jagger
Major Leagues

So in my major league, I have 30 ML teams each with 6 minor league teams. My teams only have 1 A team each. So I take 6 levels of minors times 5 equals 30 rounds in the draft.

Then I take 30 rounds times 30 teams equals 900 which is divided by 6. Which means I need a total of 150 teams in my feeder leagues. The standard feeder leagues have 30 teams each, so I need 5 high school and college feeder leagues to produce 150 teams.

And with 150 teams plus the historical rookies, I should produce enough players to maintain a replacement quantity of rookies? Or do I need to deduct the number of historical rookies from the total number of teams required? Probably.
Jagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
My info may be dated then. In previous versions that did not happen. There was no way for the HS leagues to feed the college leagues. I suppose this was changed in 12 or sometime in 11 and I had not noticed it.
Actually, since version 11 high school players have been going to college feeders. You should edit your original post to reflect that change.
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #16
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You need to edit the age requirements within the roster rules to 14-17 for high school, 18-21 for college.
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:38 AM   #17
boshk
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Yes, they will. But it really isn't that big a deal (pretty easy for a guy to be 19 his senior year depending on when his birthday falls). I'd have more problem with 20 year olds.
its more of a problem that it screws up the records when a guy plays for 5 years in high school. i have no problem if he turns 19 during the "school year"

Last edited by boshk; 07-09-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #18
GrantDawg
All Star Reserve

Quote:
its more of a problem that it screws up the records when a guy plays for 5 years in high school. i have no problem if he turns 19 during the "school year"
True, but I haven't seen that. Then again, it might just be I have set the ages right. I have it at 15-18 play range, with 15-17 creation range. I really don't remember if that is different than the default. I have a 100 team league, and just looking through all the players at 19, and the players drafted at 19 last year, I haven't found one player with more than 4 years of playing stats.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #19
luger
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Then again, it might just be I have set the ages right. I have it at 15-18 play range, with 15-17 creation range.
From a previous feeder thread, I was recommended to make sure my age creation min/max were the same. So, for HS, I have 14 min and 14 max (14-17 for the league min/max) for example.
luger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #20
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

For initial creation you want them to be 14-17 for HS and 18-21 for college. Then, you want to change them to be 14-14 and 18-18 so that you get guys that play for 4 years.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote