Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 08-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
Katsox
OOTP Roster Team

A rookie's question for starting historical dynasty

Hi, I am new to the game and wanted to start playing the Red Sox from 1977 forward, using real historical lineups and transactions. A couple of questions. I want to start with spring training. Where do I find the spring schedule. When I go to the calendar for the Red Sox, nothing comes up until April. I'm hoping to play an accurate spring training. Also is it possible to clone a player from a previous season and bring him into the current season for spring training? For instance Rico Petrocelli was with the Sox in 1976 and during the spring of 1977. He was cut in late March. Is there a way to clone the '76 player and add him to the '77 Sox. Then I would cut him. Finally to create an almanac of the season and using it going forward, what do I need to make sure I do? I'd hate to play all the games of '77 and not have an almanac.

Thanks for your help and for such a great game!
Katsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #2
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

As far as spring training goes, make sure it is selected in Game Setup - League Setup - Options, top of the right column. I thought it was turned on by default but maybe not. Once it is in the game it should appear in the schedule, and you can also go to the spring training page from your manager home screen to see stats, etc.

As far as adding historical players, yes you can do this. In the free agents screen you can import historical players if you are in commissioner mode - select the historical _database.odb file in your user documents folder - should be C:\users\xxxxx\documents\ootp\stats and then put in the player's identifier - it's the same id which is used by the baseball reference page - in this case petrori01. Select the career year you want and it will drop him into the free agent pool, then just transfer him to the Red Sox using commissioner functions.

For the almanac, just make sure in Game Setup - Almanac options you turn on Archive HTML reports annually, and then select any specific file options you want.

Glad you're enjoying the game.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #3
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Your spring training schedule probably won't appear on the calendar until spring training actually starts.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #4
Katsox
OOTP Roster Team

Awesome instructions, everything works great except for spring training.. I went through the steps to game setup/league setup/options and spring training is checked. When I go back to my Red Sox schedule it remains blank up until the first regular season game in April. I'm assuming I am doing something wrong!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
Katsox
OOTP Roster Team

oops, just saw the post above. I will see if it appears at ST time.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #6
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Sometimes with historical seasons it's not on the schedule but happens anyway.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Good luck with this project! Especially good luck with the quest for an "accurate spring training". There will be dozens of players who appear in ST games who never made it to the majors so I am interested to know how you will solve this problem. If you do find a solution, please let us know because I may be interested in trying it myself. I skip ST for my historical replays.
JohnHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
Katsox
OOTP Roster Team

It looks like it may not be possible. I was hoping to find somewhere spring training stats going back to 1977. Can't find it anywhere. As a Red Sox fan I actually do have every year in old media guides. Unfortunately I would probably need every team's guide to make it happen. I have a friend at stats inc. who was unable to find the old stats. And unfortunately boxscores were not a big thing back then. I can find linescores which allows me to have the right games and the right pitchers, just no idea who else is playing. For instance I know on March 9th, 1977 T
the Sox played Detroit. Fidrych, Byrd, Grilli were the Tigers pitchers, May and Wockenfuss were the catchers. Lee, Cleveland and Campbell were the Sox pitchers and Carlton Fisk caught. Unless a guy homered I have no idea who else was in the game. I may give it a shot anyway and see what happens. Just use my knowledge of spring games and go from there. Of course this will only work for the Sox.

I'll let you know if I find out anything else!
Old 08-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #9
LondonYankee
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
As far as adding historical players, yes you can do this. In the free agents screen you can import historical players if you are in commissioner mode - select the historical _database.odb file in your user documents folder - should be C:\users\xxxxx\documents\ootp\stats and then put in the player's identifier - it's the same id which is used by the baseball reference page - in this case petrori01. Select the career year you want and it will drop him into the free agent pool, then just transfer him to the Red Sox using commissioner functions.
Where can I find the baseball reference page or players id's?
LondonYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #10
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

Baseball Reference is pretty much THE website for all baseball stats - if it doesn't have it, you don't need it. OOTP uses their player ids which are listed in the URL of a player page.

For example, Willie Stargell - his id is the stargwi01 at the end of the URL.

Willie Stargell Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #11
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Baseball Reference is pretty much THE website for all baseball stats - if it doesn't have it, you don't need it.
It doesn't have fWAR
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
LondonYankee
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Baseball Reference is pretty much THE website for all baseball stats - if it doesn't have it, you don't need it. OOTP uses their player ids which are listed in the URL of a player page.

For example, Willie Stargell - his id is the stargwi01 at the end of the URL.

Willie Stargell Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com
Aha. Thanks. Nice one.
LondonYankee is offline   Reply With Quote