Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
brahammydude
Bat Boy

Question Help naming teams

I am starting a fictional league with 32 teams. I have the locations set, but I need help naming the teams. What are some good ideas you have?

List of Cities:

Atlanta

Baltimore

Baton Rouge

Birmingham

Chicago

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Columbia

Columbus

Dallas

Denver

Fresno

Houston

Indianapolis

Jacksonville

Little Rock

Los Angeles

Memphis

Miami

New Orleans

Orlando

Philadelphia

Phoenix

Sacramento

Salt Lake

San Diego

San Francisco

Seattle

St. Louis

Tampa Bay

Tulsa

Washington

Thank you!
brahammydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:37 PM   #2
Cobby
Minors (Triple A)

I'll be interested to hear what people come up with since I have many of the same cities in my fictional league.

Here are some that I use:

Cleveland Cats - The "cats" refer to the translation of the name of the tribe that lived on southern shore of Lake Erie - sometimes also translated as "long tails" both apparently referring to the panthers that lived in the area. So Panthers would work too, but I like Cats for the alliteration - it could also be short for Catamount.

Orlando Cepedas - I can never resist that one, but Orlando is a minor league team in my universe.

Dallas Meadowlarks - a name that doesn't try too hard. In the same vein as Cardinals, Orioles and Blue Jays...

Denver Doodle-Doos - I kind of doubt anyone else would want to use that one. Y'see - when a shady character rumored to be connected with cock fighting became the owner of the Denver expansion team, he wanted to call it the Denver Cocks. The league nixed the idea, so he named them the Doodle-Doos out of spite and the name caught on and became loved by the fans. In the early years when the team wasn't doing so well the fans affectionately called them the Doo-Doos.

Seattle Satellites - this plays on the name for denizens of Seattle ("Seattleites") and also with the aerospace theme (Boeing being a manufacturer of Satellites)

Salt Lake City Saints - can't see how it could be anything else.

San Diego Blue Whales - at least that's what I've been using.

Tulsa Tornadoes - I have this for Tulsa's minor league team in my universe.
Cobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:05 PM   #3
Hrycaj
All Star Starter

Go to the mods section and look In the thread labeled retro uniforms. Steve Sax Syndrome started it years ago. A guy named knuckler started doing uniforms on there. It was later kept up by txranger. TONS of stuff on there. All pretty certain all the teams you mentioned have logos and uniforms that are fictional. If you don't find something there check a few of the other threads. Lot of great stuff out there if you are looking for ideas.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/showthread.php?t=326812
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:55 PM   #4
Brad K
Hall Of Famer

Three teams in Florida. Surely one should be named to honor Florida Man.
Brad K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:04 PM   #5
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

spent a year in Fresno once ... they had (maybe still do) a Jesuit Seminary there .... so you'd have to called them the Fresno Jesuits ...
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:58 PM   #6
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Just a suggestion here but I'd look for logos BEFORE deciding on names. There are gigabytes of fictional logos matching nearly any city you might name on the mods forum. Just search by city. Also google. I found this one from the talented folks on Chris Creamers site in about 10 seconds. It has everything you need to make logos & uniforms.

One note though, do not repost any changes or uniforms etc made with art taken from that site without asking them first. Some of those guys are professional designers and this is their work product. You can do with them as you will on your own game obviously, just don't share it after.

Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:06 PM   #7
low
Hall Of Famer

Hit up the wiki and search the cities. Read up on their origins, check out their mottos, look at their flags. That's a great way for finding names.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 10:56 PM   #8
ink625
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by brahammydude View Post
I am starting a fictional league with 32 teams. I have the locations set, but I need help naming the teams. What are some good ideas you have?

List of Cities:
These are the names I use for some of the cities on your list, with a brief explanation in parentheses if necessary.

Baton Rouge - Blues (Self explanatory. Triple A team in my league)

Chicago - Blue Sox (Combines Cubs blue w/ White Sox. I personally wouldn't use both this and Blues for Baton Rouge though. I only do because Baton Rouge is Triple A in my league)

Denver - Mammoths (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowmastodon_site)

Fresno - Suns (One of the sunniest places in the U.S. - https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...S/sunniest.php)

Indianapolis - Checkers (as in checkered flag, as in the Indianapolis 500 race)

Jacksonville - Whales (https://www.floridarambler.com/north...lagler-county/

Los Angeles - Guardians (Angels I think makes the most sense for L.A., but I don't like to copy MLB, so I went with a synonym instead.)

Memphis - Monarchs (I prefer Kings, as in Elvis, but I prefer the alliteration of the double Ms more)

New Orleans - Gators (Self-explanatory)

Philadelphia - Liberty (Self-explanatory, but maybe a little too WNBAish for baseball)

Phoenix - Firebirds (Old SF Giants Triple A affiliate, plus I found a really cool logo)

Washington - Federals (Old USFL team and I personally flat out use their logo for my league)
If you will confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and will believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart man believes unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
-Romans 10:9,10

Last edited by ink625; 02-04-2019 at 10:57 PM.
ink625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:05 AM   #9
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

List of Cities:

Atlanta Rebels or Brave (no s)- both are teams in my 2 main league

Baltimore Bombers Theres a good uniform for these. Low might have a good nickname also.

Baton Rouge

Birmingham Barons

Chicago Hitmen, Fire, Generals, Dogs, Sox,

Cincinnati Royals

Cleveland Rockers, Spiders

Columbia

Columbus

Dallas

Denver

Fresno

Houston Apollos, Texans, Colt .45's

Indianapolis Racers

Jacksonville

Little Rock

Los Angeles

Memphis

Miami

New Orleans Gators, Voodoo

Orlando Magic, Wizards, Orcas, Juicers

Philadelphia Liberty

Phoenix

Sacramento

Salt Lake

San Diego Seals

San Francisco Seals, Quake

Seattle Pilots

St. Louis Archers

Tampa Bay

Tulsa

Washington Generals and low has a cool Battalion logo/jersey set

Thank you!
Those are just some of mine
Edit: Since someone else mentioned the Liberty, here are the jerseys i use. i made some for this team as well 1900-today

Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

Last edited by The Game; 02-05-2019 at 12:09 AM.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #10
texasmame
All Star Starter

Baton Rouge Big Spenders

In my fictitious league, I avoid having teams in the same cities as major league teams. The above is the name of one of my original teams that goes way back to my Baseball for Windows days!

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #11
cavebutter
All Star Starter

Quote:

List of Cities:

Atlanta - Generals

Baltimore - Admirals

Baton Rouge

Birmingham

Chicago- Packers

Cincinnati

Cleveland- Roosters

Columbia

Columbus

Dallas

Denver- Monarchs

Fresno

Houston- Hippos

Indianapolis- Mustangs

Jacksonville- Acorns

Little Rock

Los Angeles- Stars

Memphis

Miami

New Orleans- Gators

Orlando

Philadelphia- Liberty

Phoenix- Tigers

Sacramento

Salt Lake

San Diego

San Francisco- Pirates

Seattle- Wasps

St. Louis- Diamonds

Tampa Bay

Tulsa

Washington
Happy to share the logos and unis I made for these. LMK

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #12
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Listen to Mr. Martin... he gave you some good advice... see what logos, jerseys and caps are already available... that way you have good graphics, which I think really helps me to get into my league and be totally immersed in it... players that don't have good graphics miss a lot of enjoyment.

Atlanta Crackers... original Southern Association franchise... the "NY Yankees of Minor League Baseball"... the Crackers won 16 SA pennants... not sure what a "Cracker" is... some say a "Hobo"... the best I found out was a "person who cracks a whip to get a team of horses moving".

Baltimore Blue Sox... always liked that name... makes for good logos and unis… taken from a series of books written by Duane Decker in the 50s... about a fictional pro team... he wrote about 15 books... each book centered on one of the players on the team... I read them in high school in the 50s... it's a book for teenage boys.

Baton Rouge Red Sticks... in French 'Baton Rouge" means "red baton" or "red stick"... stick can also be used for a "baseball bat"... minor league team in the old Evangeline League in the 40's and 50s.

Birmingham Barons... minor league team in the Southern Association... still a minor league team in the Southern League... still plays one game a year at the oldest professional baseball park in the US... Rickwood Field... it's played in June and is called the Rickwood Classic... to raise money to set up a Rickwood Field Museum... think High Schools still use it... was used to film the Ty Cobb Movie.

Chicago Hitmen... two-meanings... one for baseball (good hitters)… one for the gangsters (an assassin).

Cincinnati Cyclones.. just sound good together... would make a good logo.

Cleveland White Caps (located on Lake Erie)… Rockers (home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame)

Columbia Bantam Roosters... a feisty, little rooster.

Columbus Comets... it sounds good together... a comet would make for a good logo.

Dallas Eagles... long-time Texas League minor league team... or Tycoons (huge financial industry headquarters)

Denver Bears... long-time American Association minor league team

Fresno Timberjacks ("fresno" means "tree" in Spanish)… a tree is on the city seal.

Houston Buffaloes... long-time Texas League minor league franchise

Indianapolis Indians, Rounders, Speedsters (first was American Association franchise for many years... the other two are connected the Indy 500 auto race... Rounders was also an early name for baseball)

Jacksonville Sun Sox, Sunbirds, Bluejackets or just Jacks (first two are for the Sunshine State... third is for big Navy base (sailor wear blue jackets... pea coat or pea jacket is navy blue... the fouth nickname would be short for Bluejackets... and also a baseball term to "go deep", hence "jack the ball out of the park")

Little Rock Travelers... long-time minor league team... first in the Southern Association and now in the Texas League.

Los Angeles Fireballs, Wildfires, Westerner, or Angelenos (residents of city)

Memphis Chickasaws or the short form Chicks (named for the Chickasaw Indian tribe)… long-time Southern Association franchise.

Miami Snowbirds or Sunbirds (for all the Yankees that retired there)

New Orleans Pelicans or Buccaneers... the Pels were long-time Southern Association minor league team... Buccaneers would be for pirates Jean Lafitte and Dominique You, who helped Andrew Jackson win the Battle of New Orleans in the War of 1812.

Orlando Orioles... just think the Oriole logo is a great one.

Philadelphia Stars... in honor of the fine Negro League franchise in the 30s and 40s.

Phoenix Firebirds... Greek bird that "rose from the ashes" in mythology... there is a wonderful logo with Red and Gold colors somewhere... let me know if you want to use it and I'll see if I can find it for you.

Sacramento Sluggers... what the heck... it's a baseball term and alliterative... sorry I don't know the meaning of the word, either... ah, what the heck... it's euphonic... ah, also don't know what that means either.

Salt Lake Scorpions... once again it's alliterative and euphonic

San Diego Sailors... large Navy bases located there.

San Francisco Seals... Pacific Coast League team... had DiMaggio brothers in the outfield in the 30s... Joe, Dom and Vincent.

Seattle Evergreens (tribute to the lush evergreen forests)… Schooners or Skippers (marine industries)… Green Sox (always like to name teams for the color of their socks... since the area has evergreens everywhere it is called "The Emerald City"... why not Green Sox?).

St. Louis Redbirds... has to have a nickname related to "Cardinals", so you can use one of the best logos in all of sports.

Tampa Bay Tarpons... it sounds good together... may be even euphonic and alliterative.

Tulsa Oilers or Roughnecks... oil industry.

Washington... this is a toughy… don't want to go with all the old cliched nicknames... got to come up with something good without resorting to euphonic and alliterative again... give me time... I'm old... it take me a while to get my thoughts together... maybe my young trophy wife will help an old guy.

What the heck... go with Washington Wallbangers… or Washington Warhawks.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 02-05-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:38 PM   #13
Clovidequano Dovatha
Hall Of Famer

Location: Somewhere in the United States of America on God's Earth
I know about the Blue Sox series by Duane Decker, but don't recall them ever being shown as specifically playing in Baltimore. Loved what I could read of the series, but don't think I was able to read all the books in it yet. Seeing as I can't remember where they played, I decided to put the Blue Sox in my North American Baseball Association in Nashville, at least, for multiple reasons, I'm sure. Read them, or at least a few, I believe, by the time I was in my teens, too.

Would love to find my old copies of the books, or get new ones, for sure, though. Also liked the Chip Hilton books by Clair Bee, among others. Good books, no matter when they were written and published, are often among the things I enjoy a lot.

If you are still looking for name ideas, feel free to look through any number of my started threads, if and when you like. More may come later, or not, of course. Surely there are at least a few names you might somehow be able to use in those threads of mine. CD out.
Clovidequano Dovatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:10 PM   #14
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clovidequano Dovatha View Post
I know about the Blue Sox series by Duane Decker, but don't recall them ever being shown as specifically playing in Baltimore. Loved what I could read of the series, but don't think I was able to read all the books in it yet. Seeing as I can't remember where they played, I decided to put the Blue Sox in my North American Baseball Association in Nashville, at least, for multiple reasons, I'm sure. Read them, or at least a few, I believe, by the time I was in my teens, too.

Would love to find my old copies of the books, or get new ones, for sure, though. Also liked the Chip Hilton books by Clair Bee, among others. Good books, no matter when they were written and published, are often among the things I enjoy a lot.

If you are still looking for name ideas, feel free to look through any number of my started threads, if and when you like. More may come later, or not, of course. Surely there are at least a few names you might somehow be able to use in those threads of mine. CD out.
The Duane Decker books were not set in Baltimore... it was a fictional city... all of the teams the Blue Sox played had just nicknames... not connected to a city.

I just like the name "Blue Sox"... you can get good logos and good graphics from a name like that... just sounds good with Baltimore.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 02-05-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:36 PM   #15
Clovidequano Dovatha
Hall Of Famer

Location: Somewhere in the United States of America on God's Earth
What state do you have this Columbia in? I know of Columbia, South Carolina and Columbia, Missouri, at least? Just wondering. CD out.
Clovidequano Dovatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 05:56 PM   #16
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Suggestions

Baton Rouge Sauciers. Creole know how to cook!
Rename San Francisco as Haight-Ashbury Hippies.
Orlando Cruisers. Logo of a Princess cruise liner.
Memphis Tams. Gotta be a geezer to get it, though.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
"Colonics for EVERYONE!"
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #17
nutt
OOTP Roster Team

Here you go:
Atlanta Knights
Baltimore Purple Haze
Baton Rouge Gators
Birmingham Bandits
Chicago Wolves
Cincinnati Cyclones
Cleveland Rockers
Columbia Clippers
Columbus Stripes
Dallas Coyotes
Denver Bears
Fresno Quakes
Houston Aeros
Indianapolis Racers
Jacksonville Suns
Little Rock Hogs
Los Angeles Blue Sox
Memphis Blues
Miami Flamingos
New Orleans Cajuns
Orlando Tropics
Philadelphia Liberty
Phoenix Firebirds
Sacramento Mountain Lions
Salt Lake Bees
San Diego Armada
San Francisco Miners
Seattle Green Sox
St. Louis Brewers
Tampa Bay Bandits
Tulsa Oilers
Washington Americans
nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:40 PM   #18
Cobby
Minors (Triple A)

Perusing the Wikipedia entry for Sacramento:

"Sacramento is known for its evolving contemporary culture, dubbed the most "hipster city" in California"

Sacramento Hipsters

"As a result of the California Gold Rush, Sacramento became a major commercial center and distribution point for Northern California,"

Sacramento Miners
Sacramento 49ers
Sacramento Gold

"A Spanish writer with the Moraga expedition wrote: "Canopies of oaks and cottonwoods, many festooned with grapevines, overhung both sides of the blue current..."

Sacramento Oaks

"Sacramento was named to be the permanent state capital."

Sacramento Capitals
Sacramento Solons (state senators, former baseball team)

"With its new status and strategic location, Sacramento quickly prospered and became the western end of the Pony Express."

Sacramento Express

"The Sacramento area has one of the largest collection of community theatres in California."

Sacramento Thespians
Sacramento Stars

"In 2000, AAA minor league baseball returned to Sacramento with the Sacramento River Cats,"

Sacramento River Cats
Sacramento Mudcats (youth baseball team)

"The Sacramento Bee, the primary newspaper,.."

Sacramento Bees

"Amtrak's California Zephyr serves Sacramento daily"

Sacramento Zephyrs
California Zephyrs

"Bicycling is an increasingly popular transportation mode in Sacramento, which enjoys a mild climate and flat terrain."

Sacramento Cycles (baseball reference)

Anyway. That's how I usually look for team names. Wikipedia articles can be a treasure trove...

Last edited by Cobby; 02-12-2019 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #19
Cobby
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post

Seattle Evergreens (tribute to the lush evergreen forests)… Schooners or Skippers (marine industries)… Green Sox (always like to name teams for the color of their socks... since the area has evergreens everywhere it is called "The Emerald City"... why not Green Sox?).
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutt View Post
Here you go:
Seattle Green Sox
I like the sentiment - but I'd go with Seattle Greens. Then you get the environmentalist angle too,..

(Of course, maybe I've just argued against going with Seattle Greens)

Hm.

Seattle Canopies (then you could be talking about a forest or an airplane)
Old 02-07-2019, 02:47 PM   #20
RyMACtizzle
Minors (Double A)

My League

My teams. Some have more than one nickname because of different levels at stges of my fictional league.

Atlanta Blue Jays

Baltimore Crabbers Blue Crabs, Maryland Crab Cakes

Baton Rouge

Birmingham Stars

Chicago Kings and Mallards

Cincinnati Lookouts and Roadrunners

Cleveland Grays and Aviators Wright Brothers at one time lived in Ohio

Columbia

Columbus

Dallas Mustangs

Denver Miners and Colorado Explorers

Fresno

Houston Outlaws

Indianapolis Indiana Racers Indy 500

Jacksonville Panthers

Little Rock Bandits

Los Angeles Blue Sox

Memphis Sounds or Steamers Riverboats and Music for Memphis

Miami Pelicans

New Orleans Lookouts Cincinnati moved franchise to NO

Orlando Panthers or Sharks

Philadelphia Gentlemen --> Gents --> Federals

Phoenix Arizona Scorpions

Sacramento Giants and Yellowjackets

Salt Lake Railers and Stingers bee is state insect of Utah and transcontinental railroad

San Diego

San Francisco Redwoods

Seattle Tides

St. Louis Aces and Americans STL and flying from Charles Lindbergh

Tampa Bay Pirates and Tampa Raiders Gasparilla Festival

Tulsa Mustangs and Oklahoma Mavericks

Washington

Last edited by RyMACtizzle; 02-08-2019 at 11:01 AM.
RyMACtizzle is offline   Reply With Quote