Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 02-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #1
JeffR
FHM Producer

FHM Maintenance Update, Version 3.4.116, Now Available!

A new maintenance update for Franchise Hockey Manager 3, version 3.4.116, has just been released.

To apply the update:

-If you are playing the eSellerate version, just download the setup file and install it over your current installation. There is no need to uninstall or unlicense your current copy! However, you should quit the game before installing it, of course.
-If you are playing the Steam version, the game will auto-update if you have that option active. If you don't see the update in your Steam update queue, you may need to exit and restart your Steam client.
-If you've purchased from the Mac App store, the game will auto-update, but since that update needs to be approved by Apple, it may be delayed (possibly by a few days if they disapprove the initial submission, as has happened at times in the past)

Download link for PC:
Main server: PC Installer

Download link for Mac:
Main Server: Mac Installer

Last week's hotfix left a few more problems than we'd hoped, so we decided to do one last maintenance update to clear those up before we finish. We've begun work on FHM4, and some of the early work has involved fairly significant changes to the game's internal architecture, and the farther we get with that the more difficult it'll be to change FHM3 in ways that can also be incorporated into FHM4 without a lot of extra work. So, at this point, we're only likely to do an additional update for FHM3 if a problem is discovered at some point that literally breaks the game (i.e., renders games unplayable via something like an unavoidable crash) - and in that case, it'll likely be a single-fix update for that specific issue. As always, though, we'll still be monitoring the forums and Facebook (FranchiseHockeyManager), Twitter (@FranchiseHockey), Reddit (/r/FranchiseHockey), etc. on a daily basis, answering questions and offering help as needed, so if you have any problems or suggestions, please let us know.

Changes in 3.4.116:

-Display errors with the scores on the tactical role popup in the strategy screen fixed.
-Fixed problem that was incorrectly lowering tactical role scores in some special teams slots.
-Fixed a variety of goalie starting issues that were causing incorrect starter calculations, particularly in the playoffs. Also adjusted the backup start frequency routines, since the changes led to excessive starter use.
-Problem with one goalie starting 100% of games when playing as GM-only should now be completely eliminated in all modes.
-Fixed issue that made some players unselectable for international tournaments when they should have been eligible.
-Corrected problem that could cause the wrong team to be promoted from the lower levels of the World Championships tournaments.
-Asian League should now play a full schedule after the first season (had been stopping after 30-35 games in 2017-18 and later.)
-Fixed issue that prevented proper trade responses if news messages had been deleted.
-Fixed issue that was allowing AI-run NHL teams to send 18/19-year-old players to the AHL/ECHL when they should have been returned to a CHL team.
-Corrected another circumstance where players signing in the NHL could escape the entry-level rules (would usually be visible to the user when a player rejected a two-way contract.)

Last edited by JeffR; 02-23-2022 at 03:44 PM.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:05 PM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

Just to clarify, all the fixes to the strategy/tactical roles display will work retroactively with older saves.
Old 02-22-2017, 03:32 PM   #3
beezer2434
Minors (Triple A)

Amazing job with FHM3! Im very excited to see whats in store for FHM4!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
beezer2434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:09 PM   #4
shaner_wils
Minors (Rookie Ball)

For the hotfix updates do you need to start a league? Or does the update come into affect on your current league?
shaner_wils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:09 AM   #5
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner_wils View Post
For the hotfix updates do you need to start a league? Or does the update come into affect on your current league?
Most of them should work with current leagues, the only ones I know for sure don't completely update with a save is the problem with some players not being selectable for national teams (I think that won't reset properly until the next tournament the player's national team is in has completed), and the Asia League schedule problem - that's database-based, so it needs a new start to work right.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:22 AM   #6
Charlie82
Bat Boy

Still some issues:

1. Second and third special teams units are displaying incoherently from pop-up to strategy screens. I can see why this is happening. Rightly or wrongly the pop-up is treating these units like second or third lines at even strength.

2. 4-on-3 Powerplay (Umbrella), I can't play a third forward in a defender slot without their score plummeting to 1/5, The same role and the same slot at 5-on-4 is 5/5, so surely not right.

3. A previous issue still not fixed: On the Play Game strategy screen, my forwards on the third unit of the 4-on-5 kill still pop-up with incorrect defensive roles. As I said before, I don't want my best option to be playing Scott Laughton as a crease-clearing defenceman 1/3

4. This may not be a bug, yet I don't understand it. The AI team always seem to have much higher tactical scores than me on special teams. E.g. My powerplay is virtually full with 5/5 roles and comes out with a score of 34. Whereas my opponents can hit something like 52 on the powerplay. Why is the difference so vast? Tinkering around with countering roles can only make so much difference, so I don't get it.
Charlie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:23 AM   #7
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie82 View Post
Still some issues:

1. Second and third special teams units are displaying incoherently from pop-up to strategy screens. I can see why this is happening. Rightly or wrongly the pop-up is treating these units like second or third lines at even strength.

2. 4-on-3 Powerplay (Umbrella), I can't play a third forward in a defender slot without their score plummeting to 1/5, The same role and the same slot at 5-on-4 is 5/5, so surely not right.

3. A previous issue still not fixed: On the Play Game strategy screen, my forwards on the third unit of the 4-on-5 kill still pop-up with incorrect defensive roles. As I said before, I don't want my best option to be playing Scott Laughton as a crease-clearing defenceman 1/3

4. This may not be a bug, yet I don't understand it. The AI team always seem to have much higher tactical scores than me on special teams. E.g. My powerplay is virtually full with 5/5 roles and comes out with a score of 34. Whereas my opponents can hit something like 52 on the powerplay. Why is the difference so vast? Tinkering around with countering roles can only make so much difference, so I don't get it.
It looks like the forward spots on the second and third penalty killing units are displaying the wrong amounts; the popups look correct. What you mentioned in #4 may be partly related to that, but countering roles can make a significant difference in the overall score as well; I'll do some more checking, but I've been able to get the special teams advantage in my games fairly reliably.

2 is intended; the 4-on-3 unit needs two defencemen.

I think we'll need to see a save for 3; I can't replicate this.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:37 AM   #8
Charlie82
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
It looks like the forward spots on the second and third penalty killing units are displaying the wrong amounts; the popups look correct. What you mentioned in #4 may be partly related to that, but countering roles can make a significant difference in the overall score as well; I'll do some more checking, but I've been able to get the special teams advantage in my games fairly reliably.

2 is intended; the 4-on-3 unit needs two defencemen.

I think we'll need to see a save for 3; I can't replicate this.

I will try and upload later when I have time. Can you send a link how to do this; I am a bit of a technophobe. But just to confirm it is only on the in-game strategy screen and only if I try and edit the role on that screen. It shows up correctly to begin with.

Might be relevant that the kill tactic is Box

Last edited by Charlie82; 02-23-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
I will try and upload later when I have time. Can you send a link how to do this; I am a bit of a technophobe. But just to confirm it is only on the in-game strategy screen and only if I try and edit the role on that screen. It shows up correctly to begin with.

Might be relevant that the kill tactic is Box
Sure, Markus has instructions for uploading them to our ftp site here, or you can upload them to a file sharing site like dropbox or filedropper.com and send me the link (we need everything inside the .lg folder with your saved game's name.)
Old 02-23-2017, 05:36 PM   #10
beezer2434
Minors (Triple A)

Is there any way to see attribute change history?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
beezer2434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:51 PM   #11
Charlie82
Bat Boy

Quote:
Sure, Markus has instructions for uploading them to our ftp site here, or you can upload them to a file sharing site like dropbox or filedropper.com and send me the link (we need everything inside the .lg folder with your saved game's name.)
Right, file called CharliePF uploaded to your ftp now. There are certainly some display issues amongst the defenceman on the 4on3 whether you include a forward or not. And the assistant placed a forward in one of the slots probably because the type of player asked for is 'goalscorer'
Old 02-23-2017, 08:35 PM   #12
Charlie82
Bat Boy

I just ran an experiment in regards to the tactics issue and it does appear you can lower your opponents tactical score by as much as 20 points by selecting as many countering roles as you can; it is just a bit tedious to have to do it before every game. In doing this I found another bug: when you lower your opponents tactical score in this way, the colours of the numbers which indicate advantage don't change colour although the score does.

For me the best improvement that could be made for the next game is to have more feedback during and after the match as to how lines, individuals and tactics are performing. This would be a more realistic and fun prompt for the changes you need to make, rather than seeking red and yellow horizontal lines and examining a set of numbers.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:51 AM   #13
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Right, file called CharliePF uploaded to your ftp now. There are certainly some display issues amongst the defenceman on the 4on3 whether you include a forward or not. And the assistant placed a forward in one of the slots probably because the type of player asked for is 'goalscorer'
Sorry, looks like one file got corrupted during either the zipping or upload - all of the files except personal.dat extract properly, and the save won't load without that one. Can you upload that one file again, please?
Old 02-24-2017, 02:53 AM   #14
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
I just ran an experiment in regards to the tactics issue and it does appear you can lower your opponents tactical score by as much as 20 points by selecting as many countering roles as you can; it is just a bit tedious to have to do it before every game. In doing this I found another bug: when you lower your opponents tactical score in this way, the colours of the numbers which indicate advantage don't change colour although the score does.

For me the best improvement that could be made for the next game is to have more feedback during and after the match as to how lines, individuals and tactics are performing. This would be a more realistic and fun prompt for the changes you need to make, rather than seeking red and yellow horizontal lines and examining a set of numbers.
Yeah, we'll definitely be adding things like that to it next time around, there are still plenty of changes I'd like to make and better feedback is high on the list.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:06 AM   #15
Eugus
Minors (Double A)

I think the powerplay tactics are still partly broken. My player is 5/5 playmaker on the left point and if i move him to the right he's 2/5.
Eugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:26 AM   #16
Gerry58
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugus View Post
I think the powerplay tactics are still partly broken. My player is 5/5 playmaker on the left point and if i move him to the right he's 2/5.

Maybe because he is lefthanded?
Gerry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:58 AM   #17
Eugus
Minors (Double A)

ya but he's 20/20 right wing and like 7/16 left wing so that doesn't make sense.
Eugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:39 AM   #18
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugus View Post
There's only one point spot that allows forwards to be used without penalty - the other one is for defencemen only, that's why you get the reduction.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:26 PM   #19
Charlie82
Bat Boy

Quote:
Sorry, looks like one file got corrupted during either the zipping or upload - all of the files except personal.dat extract properly, and the save won't load without that one. Can you upload that one file again, please?
I have copied that one file over named 'PFpersonal.dat'. I don't know if it matters that the game has advanced a tad since the other files I sent over.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:55 AM   #20
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
I have copied that one file over named 'PFpersonal.dat'. I don't know if it matters that the game has advanced a tad since the other files I sent over.
That worked, thanks. It looks like what's happening is that, in the in-game strategy screen, the popup for the third pair of penalty killing forwards is looking to the defensive pair for the information about required roles. As long as that popup isn't used to select one of those roles, the player will still function normally in the game with the role given to him in the main strategy screen.

So the workaround for now is to only change those two roles outside of games - that does limit you slightly in that you won't be able to switch to a countering role during the game, but it'll at least prevent your forwards from being used in roles that don't make sense for them.