Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > Grand Championship League

Old 02-14-2015, 12:04 PM   #1
coljesep
All Star Reserve

OTBA - Grand Championship Preview

The following preview was written by the OTBA team representative.

The OTBA has been around for 11 years and has simmed 58 seasons. We are a fictional league that originally drew from the Off Topic OOTP forums but now accept any qualified owners. The OTBA is a friendly league full of talented OOTP veterans.

League Website: OTBA Forums

You can check out the OTBA team by visiting: Home Page

With the OTBA team, we’re trying to replicate the same strategy that has won us 13 titles in 57 seasons – find undervalued players. The roto format gave us the opportunity to build an entire team of undervalued players based on their salary demands.

My team philosophy for offense is to focus on OBP primarily with a strong defense. For pitching, I want guys with low HR/9 and BB/9. K/9 is nice but less important with a strong defense behind them.

With that said, here is the lineup that I came up with:

C – Rex Young, $13.5 million. Young consistently came up as the top catcher. All the alternatives were a big step down in skill so I deemed it worth splurging on this position.

1B – Octávio Sáenz, $550K. He’s listed as a center fielder in the game file but the plan is to start him at 1B. He has the bat to handle the position and he’ll be a Gold Glove candidate there.

2B – Alonso Rico, $550K. Holt came up as one of the most highly rated offensive players when I was doing a search and at that salary, he was a lock for the team. His defense is only average at 2B but the bat will easily make up for any shortcomings there.

3B – Gilberto Hernández, $550K. Bailey is another highly rated bargain. About the only thing he doesn’t do well is hit homers but he’s elite in every other area. A strong leadoff candidate.

SS – Sergio Sandoval, $900K. Sandoval is your classic glove-first shortstop that is a real hit or miss candidate offensively.

LF – Stéphane Perez, $5.5 million. Perez is an elite defender who can steal bases and hit for power.

CF– Jack Corbett, $8 million. I was surprised to find that Corbett was so cheap and gladly scooped him up at that price. He can do it all and is a perfect fit for this team.

RF – Stanley Stephenson, $8 million. Stephenson is pretty much exactly what I’m looking for – an elite contact hitter and defender with solid power. Hitting lefty is just a bonus.

DH – Dan Thornton, $550K. Thornton's defense is bad but he’s a great hitter so he’s a perfect fit for DH. I would expect him to get all his playing time there as his OF range is pretty poor.

Offensive Bench – C Davey Fleming - $3.6 million, Carlos González - $550k, Daniel Bailleul - $550K, Javier Rodríguez - $550K, Martín Archuleta - $550K

Fleming is easily my most expensive backup but considering he’ll be playing the most as the backup catcher, he’s worth it. Bailleul and Gonzalez give me righty and lefty outfield backups that can all field well. Rodriguez will backup SS and 3B while Archulete will backup 2B and be a defensive replacement.

SP1 – Mike McDonald, $18 million. Despite his huge salary number, McDonald came up #1 in most of my metrics so I spent the cash for him. Quite simply, he’s probably the best pitcher in the league, with low HR and walk rates and a high K rate.

SP2 – Jesús Hernández, $5.5 million. A tremendous bargain as he’s nearly as good as McDonald. His worst season of the three he’s played is 6.6 WAR and he had a 11.5 WAR season as his best. He was a no-brainer for me.

SP3 – Chip Young, $8 million. Young had a down year last year that looks like a BABIP fluke so I’m pretty confident he can return to his 7 WAR ways behind my team’s very solid defense.

SP4 – Robinson Vega, $5.5 million. I needed a lefty in my rotation and Vega rated well on my board. He doesn’t have the strikeout rate of my top 3 but has similar skill in limiting HR and walks.

SP5 – José Martínez, $550K. A 5th starter won’t be necessary for the playoff portion so I didn’t want to spend a lot here. Martinez is a very solid, 4 WAR type of guy and as cheap as can be. He should be able to hold his own during the regular season and be a good arm out of the pen in the playoffs.

Bullpen – Ángel Ortíz - $550K, Dave Cotton - $3 million, Doug Forrest - $1.8 million, Freddy Sweeney - $550K, Ricardo Feliciano - $550K, Tony Salazar - $1.7 million.

This mix for the bullpen gives me a few lefties and all are dominant, shut-down relievers. I’m not really sure who will fill what role yet but I’m not really sure it matters too much – they’re all really good.

Why this team will win –
Strong defense will make the already elite pitchers even better

Strong depth and versatility means I can move players around

Offense built on OBP should be consistent with enough power and speed to win close games

Why this team might not win –

Given that each team will have all-stars, my stars might not be a ton better than everyone else and there might not be a large spread in final records

In a playoff series, anything can happen. One off day by a starter and I could be knocked out.

I could run into situations where my star player has a bad year while another team’s identical star player wins the MVP. Nothing I can do to control that.
coljesep is offline   Reply With Quote