Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #1
skalepp
Minors (Double A)

Excel Spreadsheet

Does anybody use spreadsheets to rank some of there players on there player ratings? Or do you use excel for any other functions that help you evaluate your team?

If so do you mind sharing the excel spreadsheet?
skalepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:52 AM   #2
MarkInCincy
All Star Reserve

I have probably done hundreds of spreadsheets for drfting, some simple (Con/Pwr/eye , Stuff/Ctl/Move), some extremely complex with 20+ rating categorys, but usually after a cpl of draft rounds I wing it and go with in game or utilities (OOTPU or Statslab) to just sort. Mine have evolved over the yrs since I have been playing online since OOTP3.

Just recently I noticed a DraftValue column in master.csv that I now use in conjuction with a formula that computes a draft value per season for drafting

Last edited by MarkInCincy; 01-20-2014 at 01:56 AM.
MarkInCincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:51 AM   #3
skalepp
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkInCincy View Post
I have probably done hundreds of spreadsheets for drfting, some simple (Con/Pwr/eye , Stuff/Ctl/Move), some extremely complex with 20+ rating categorys, but usually after a cpl of draft rounds I wing it and go with in game or utilities (OOTPU or Statslab) to just sort. Mine have evolved over the yrs since I have been playing online since OOTP3.

Just recently I noticed a DraftValue column in master.csv that I now use in conjuction with a formula that computes a draft value per season for drafting
Thank you! Would you be okay with sharing some of this with me? You could send them to my personal email at skalepp@gmail.com
Old 01-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Don't know how much carries over in practice- the conversation's older, but in principle you may want to do an advanced search using Ambermonk as the user name and then spreadsheet as a keyword and I think you'll turn up good material. Somewhere, I still have some sheets he sent me, but IIRC there were some minor issues with using it in Excel 2010 compared to the version with which he wrote them. FWIW
Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 PM   #5
skalepp
Minors (Double A)

Alright I did my search and found some good, but complicated spreadsheets. I'll have to do some more digging in this. I have yet to even try to see if exporting the data via external browser is difficult or not. Particularly if getting the individual players stats like his CON/POWER/EYE rating is easily ex-tractable or if it's a manual process.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

its much easier to extract the data now that page selectors have been fixed.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #7
beorn
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalepp View Post
Alright I did my search and found some good, but complicated spreadsheets. I'll have to do some more digging in this. I have yet to even try to see if exporting the data via external browser is difficult or not. Particularly if getting the individual players stats like his CON/POWER/EYE rating is easily ex-tractable or if it's a manual process.
I use excel for everything.

Take a team roster or a draft pool, export to browser, then highlight and copy all the browser data including the heading row, and paste to a text editor. Then copy all and paste into excel.

Since you can customize the data fields in the draft pool, you can have anything you like on your excel page. Stats, ratings, personality, whatever. Takes just a moment.

Then you can create any kind of formula you like, or just green stripe strong ratings and red stripe things to avoid.

I can't imagine how anybody rank orders anything beyond the first few picks without doing something like this.
beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #8
skalepp
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beorn View Post
I use excel for everything.

Take a team roster or a draft pool, export to browser, then highlight and copy all the browser data including the heading row, and paste to a text editor. Then copy all and paste into excel.

Since you can customize the data fields in the draft pool, you can have anything you like on your excel page. Stats, ratings, personality, whatever. Takes just a moment.

Then you can create any kind of formula you like, or just green stripe strong ratings and red stripe things to avoid.

I can't imagine how anybody rank orders anything beyond the first few picks without doing something like this.
Do you care to share some of your spreadsheets that you may use?
Old 01-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #9
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

I have a spreadsheet to list all the spreadsheets I use.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
I have a spreadsheet to list all the spreadsheets I use.
Clutch!

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #11
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

I use a bunch of spreadsheets for different things. I’ve obsessed over spreadsheets since the 80s. Just checking my OOTP folder, I have over 500 of them since I’ve been playing OOTP. I have over 2,300 on my work computer (I am an accountant).
I’ll show little screen shots of some of them

Free Agent Sheet
I use different tabs for C, IF, OF, SP and RP. This SP tab I filter out those who I think can be a capable SP (more than 3 pitches > 4/8)

Draft

Payroll
I always like to keep an eye on payroll for current and future

Team
I do this fun little diamond thing I’ve seen in sports magazines. Just for S&G.

Team Previews
Before the season starts, I export all the players and do a team previews spreadsheet.

Roster

Team schedule
Old 01-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #12
skalepp
Minors (Double A)

Wow Rizon, they look amazing! I would love to do something like that as I'm a finance major and love excel. Would you be willing to share some of them with me? I would really appreciate it

skalepp@gmail.com
Old 01-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #13
beorn
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalepp View Post
Do you care to share some of your spreadsheets that you may use?
Sure, this is my basic spreadsheet for an upcoming ammy draft. These are the pitchers. I use the count function to count each pitcher's number of pitches, and from there it is easy to pink stripe all the guys with only two (or two and a half) pitches. I've red striped the guys with bad work ethic.

I have a rough formula for rank ordering the players based on potential -- weighted so that potential control counts a little less than potential stuff and movement.

Some of the columns, like contract demand, cut off. But it is easy to expand them if I want to examine that column more closely.

Very handy for an online draft, and takes almost no time to put together.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #14
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Wow!! Opens a whole new world of personal comittment from a game owner, eh? You guys are great. Makes me want to dig out my spreadsheet for dummies and actually do something meaningful. Probably won't, but it makes me want to. Outstanding stuff, gentlemen. Inspiring.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #15
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Man, I wish I had time to do these kinds of things! Awesome stuff!
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #16
beorn
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Man, I wish I had time to do these kinds of things!
Mine is not sophisticated at all. (Sometimes I fiddle further, but not necessarily.)

But honestly, at this basic level, it takes 5 minutes to create and maybe 10 minutes to put in a couple basic formulas and stripe a couple things that tell me to stay away from certain players. It's a time saver, not a time loser, especially when prepping for an online draft.
Old 01-22-2014, 03:17 PM   #17
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beorn View Post
Mine is not sophisticated at all. (Sometimes I fiddle further, but not necessarily.)

But honestly, at this basic level, it takes 5 minutes to create and maybe 10 minutes to put in a couple basic formulas and stripe a couple things that tell me to stay away from certain players. It's a time saver, not a time loser, especially when prepping for an online draft.
I believe it. However, I have multiple degrees in English and journalism, which means my ability to use Excel ends shortly after knowing how to open the program.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:03 PM   #18
skalepp
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
I believe it. However, I have multiple degrees in English and journalism, which means my ability to use Excel ends shortly after knowing how to open the program.
HAHA this is great
Old 01-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #19
Elektranaut
Major Leagues

Rizon..how did you create the game schedule and results spreadsheet?
I wish there was a feature like that in OOTP.
Elektranaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #20
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektranaut View Post
Rizon..how did you create the game schedule and results spreadsheet?
I wish there was a feature like that in OOTP.
By hand. I have dual monitors so I have OOTP up on one and I just copy it over to the Excel sheet manually.

I wish I had some type of programming skill, then all I would need is a simple export from OOTP and all my spreadsheets would be 100% automated.