Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 10-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #41
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballAddict32 View Post
I've never tried a fictional league but am considering it after reading this forum and everyone seems to love them. Any ideas/advice?
Everything previously mentioned. I would also suggest starting small. I usually start with 16 teams but you can go smaller. This helps cut back on the time to get the league started and you can always expand to make the league bigger later on. I also use gmo's custom schedules here, they are excellent.

EDIT: You also might want to set aside a big chunk of your time, because it flies once you get started creating it.

Last edited by D-BacksJosh; 10-30-2013 at 04:54 PM.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #42
Doc_Brown
All Star Starter

Do you still need to delete the 1st 5-10 years of league history when starting up?
Doc_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #43
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Brown View Post
Do you still need to delete the 1st 5-10 years of league history when starting up?
No, and you never had to.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #44
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

If you're starting up a fictional league, take a look around the mods forum and pick team names/cities based on what jerseys/logos you can find there. The Nickname Project is an amazing resource.

Trust me, nothing increases immersion into your league more than having realistic logos and jerseys for a fictional team. If you really want a team name that you can't find a jersey/logo for, just post a request in the graphics forum; one of us over there will help you out.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:19 PM   #45
Doc_Brown
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
No, and you never had to.
Cheers.
Doc_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #46
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey13Playa View Post
This is an awesomeeeeee thread. I just purchased OOTP for the first time back in September (Maybe August I forget) and so far I started modern day and expanded once still on my first ever saved game... I never really had any interest in fictional leagues. After reading this that thought has changed drastically. Whenever I decided to call it quits on this league I think I just may cook up my own fictional league to whatever my heart desires. Lot of great pointers and posts. Thanks guys!

LOVE IT!
Yes, this is a good thread and I just thanked David for it. I came back here, though, to add to my list one more thing that I have learned about myself while playing OOTPB.

It's this: I've gone back and forth quite a few times, but I have finally come to the decision that I get the most out of baseball simulation by playing out every game. Sure I will sim once in a while (to get a lousy season over) but nothing helps my immersion more than playing out games. Sure, it slows me down but that's a good thing. I speed things up a bit by playing with short, instant PbP and using the RiSP button. YMMV, of course.

Good thread, David.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #47
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Yes, this is a good thread and I just thanked David for it. I came back here, though, to add to my list one more thing that I have learned about myself while playing OOTPB.

It's this: I've gone back and forth quite a few times, but I have finally come to the decision that I get the most out of baseball simulation by playing out every game. Sure I will sim once in a while (to get a lousy season over) but nothing helps my immersion more than playing out games. Sure, it slows me down but that's a good thing. I speed things up a bit by playing with short, instant PbP and using the RiSP button. YMMV, of course.

Good thread, David.
What about simming when you team is 10X better then everyone else? I have simmed teh last 2 months and will sim while I watch Boston lose tonight. I have a 14 or so game lead in July.
Blue reminded me I forgot to thank all mod makers, there is hardly one I dont use. Uniforms, logos, Bobble hair mod, Gambo & Pstricket .prk files graphic & real parks. facegen.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #48
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

I've learned that I actually prefer smaller leagues. Also learned that I can actually enjoy playing a one division league where the first place finisher is the champ. Never played that way before, but it was really fun. My current project started as a one division affair. However, expanded to 12 teams, two divisions in 1916. Love the simplicity and that's the furthest it will expand. Still small and loving it.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #49
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
while I watch Boston lose tonight.
Boy, did you bet on the wrong horse. The Cards were crushed.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:16 PM   #50
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTeams View Post
I've learned that I actually prefer smaller leagues. Also learned that I can actually enjoy playing a one division league where the first place finisher is the champ. Never played that way before, but it was really fun. My current project started as a one division affair. However, expanded to 12 teams, two divisions in 1916. Love the simplicity and that's the furthest it will expand. Still small and loving it.
This thread has sparked my desire to create my Copper State league. I want to keep it at 12 teams. I was going to ask you how you have your league setup, but I clicked on your metro league icon and got all the information I need. Good read.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:19 AM   #51
themonk
Minors (Triple A)

Great thread! In a nutshell what I found out is that I'm mostly old school as far as my approach to OOTP and baseball is.

1. I like to play fictional. I don't want to be a disappointed if a player in real life doesn't perform as expected. Playing fictional gives me a fresh start, so to speak, since I don't have expectations regarding my players.

2. No DH for me.

3. I like to play with a small league (8-16 teams). It keeps things simple and manageable for me. It also makes it easier for me to be familiar with the players in my league.

4. I prefer short seasons (usually a 60-game season). Find it too tedious to play a full 162-game season.

5. I like to play 1950s baseball where the starting pitcher is expected to finish the game most of the time. What I also like about 1950s style of baseball is that I see more bunts, steals and home runs.

6. No interleague games for me.

7. Finances not important to me. Most of time I play without finances. In my baseball universe everyone plays simply for the love of the game.

8. No wildcards. Wildcards were introduced so that the owners can make more money, as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by themonk; 10-31-2013 at 12:25 AM.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 05:28 AM   #52
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

1. I am 27 years old and still won't clean my apartment for weeks and weeks if I have something to play that sucks me in. I usually resort to cleaning once I am stuck over whether to strike a trade of a key player or which 17-year old to draft in the first round.

Gaming still takes first place in my life (once I escape the Mills of Tragedy which I like to call my office). I will possibly never grow up.

2. Along that line, I'm still not mature enough to not rage quit when things go really, really, really horribly wrong. (Think your team walking 19 batters in a nine-inning game)

3. I have always loved fictional stuff. It's still that way. Tried several historical setups, but have never been caught up in them for one reason or another.

4. Baseball is so much more interesting when home run numbers are low and it takes some strategy and actual lineup building to get something done.

5. Things get more meaningful for me if I have somebody to tell about it. I find the Dynasty subboard as cozy and warm as my own bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
Trust me, nothing increases immersion into your league more than having realistic logos and jerseys for a fictional team. If you really want a team name that you can't find a jersey/logo for, just post a request in the graphics forum; one of us over there will help you out.
I never understood everybody's obsession with uniforms, though. Logos, yes, these are necessary. But I use the game's stock uniforms for everything, and if my youngster in left field wins the Batter of the Month and Rookie of the Month award, I still feel pretty immersed.
Attached Images

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:49 AM   #53
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonk View Post
Great thread! In a nutshell what I found out is that I'm mostly old school as far as my approach to OOTP and baseball is.

1. I like to play fictional. I don't want to be a disappointed if a player in real life doesn't perform as expected. Playing fictional gives me a fresh start, so to speak, since I don't have expectations regarding my players.

2. No DH for me.

3. I like to play with a small league (8-16 teams). It keeps things simple and manageable for me. It also makes it easier for me to be familiar with the players in my league.

4. I prefer short seasons (usually a 60-game season). Find it too tedious to play a full 162-game season.

5. I like to play 1950s baseball where the starting pitcher is expected to finish the game most of the time. What I also like about 1950s style of baseball is that I see more bunts, steals and home runs.

6. No interleague games for me.

7. Finances not important to me. Most of time I play without finances. In my baseball universe everyone plays simply for the love of the game.

8. No wildcards. Wildcards were introduced so that the owners can make more money, as far as I'm concerned.
This is almost a mirror image of what I do. I even ran one league with only 4 teams. I played (watched - was in Commish mode) every game out of every season for 22 years. It was cool in a way because I felt like I knew every single player on a personal level. It was boring in a way too, because it became repetitive after a while. Since then I've never gone with less than 8 teams, but 12 is usually the norm. Like themonk, it keeps it simple and makes it much easier to know the players.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:04 AM   #54
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I agree, small is the way to go when playing fictional. Another thing I've found that helps me get to know my league better is using only 1 sub league.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:33 AM   #55
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Yes, interesting topic.

I want to engage in a large world, but ultimately find I must scale it down to a smaller one wherein I have more understanding and feel more meaningful.

I probably enjoy the inaugural draft more than any other aspect of the game, but then it's gone and the consequences begin.

I wish I were skilled in Excel and data manipulation to create my own reports, but that will never happen.

I found my longest lasting relationships, however remote, are here within this forum.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #56
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonk View Post
Ditto this for me. I like complete games; even in real baseball I dislike rigid pitch counts, taking effective pitchers out and bringing in relievers who may or may not be ready and able, thereby often losing games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
I probably enjoy the inaugural draft more than any other aspect of the game, but then it's gone and the consequences begin.
This made me chuckle. Oh the folly!

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #57
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

What I have learned...

Today's game is as good as it has ever been. Having a DH in one league and not in the other is great. Two Wild Cards is the best set-up. I actually like the use of a closer (which surprised me)... though I don't like the quick switches of relievers.

Baseball fans have never had it so good (despite a boring World Series in real life this year).
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #58
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post
What I have learned...

Today's game is as good as it has ever been. Having a DH in one league and not in the other is great. Two Wild Cards is the best set-up. I actually like the use of a closer (which surprised me)... though I don't like the quick switches of relievers.

Baseball fans have never had it so good (despite a boring World Series in real life this year).
Games 2-5 weren't exactly boring, unless you wanted 11-9 type games.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #59
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

I meant the teams are boring.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:29 PM   #60
BaseballAddict32
Minors (Single A)

fyrestorm, Josh, thanks again guys. the feedback is awesome. i am going to stat developing my fictional league tonight so this stuff is awesome and will check out the other forums for more help.
BaseballAddict32 is offline   Reply With Quote