Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #61
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunyer View Post
I agree with pretty much everything else in the post... but just to play devil's advocate... My cousin lives in Oregon and skis year round... Based on her facebook postings this summer, there are ski locations in the mountains of Oregon and Northern Cali that apparently have permafrost conditions and never close.... Throw on the shorts, slather on the sunscreen and by the time you hit the bottom of the slope, it's a nice summery day.

EDIT: for my excessive ellipse use.
Yes, and you could go to Europe as well. My point sbout seasonality remains. How many baseball players have ever suffered a ski injury during the summer? Set things like that for the right seasons.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.

Last edited by The Wolf; 08-23-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #62
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I am frequently desctibed in real life as being relentless. It's my nature.

Mgom is Mgom and you are you and I am me. Personalities should be allowed for and left out of discussions.
that is a wrong notion......personal personalities should be accounted for and corrected......

you have been shown in depth by the group on many occasions that your behavior is unacceptable.....if you care for the group, then you should make the effort to change......if you don't care for the group, then you have no right to ask for allowances.....
Old 08-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #63
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am frequently desctibed in real life as being relentless. It's my nature.

Mgom is Mgom and you are you and I am me. Personalities should be allowed for and left out of discussions.
I agree, but much like free speech, you are allowed to act in any way you choose, but don't be surprised if people react in the negative when you act like a tool. And believe me, I speak from experience. So much nicer these past 3 years actually discussing things with people, instead of fighting with them.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #64
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, and you could go to Europe as well. Mympoint sbout seasonality remains. How many baseball players have ever suffered a ski injury during the summer? Set things like that for the right seasons.
Nolan Ryan But I do admit it was a waterski accident
Old 08-23-2013, 11:49 AM   #65
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I have to side with Wolf on this one. That happened to Nolan Ryan long before multi-million dollar contracts. Any player hurt during an in-season water/snow skiing accident now would be forfeiting a ton of salary, which is enough reason for players to save that type of hobby for the offseason.

If the storyline was re-written to say that "Player X ignored a clause in his contract that prohibits skiing during the season and went on a ski trip during the all-star break and got hurt," that would be more believable. Or "Player X was hurt during an in-season ski trip and Team Y is exploring the possibility of voiding his contract." But a guy simply getting hurt skiing in July just doesn't make sense.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #66
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

i use storyline for pc laptop but not pc tower. thank.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #67
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpejkrm View Post
I just think most storylines are unrealistic. Star players in their prime making millions don't suddenly leave to go play football.
Well I know a certain basketball player who in his prime retired from basketball to suddenly go play baseball. It's not likely but I'd say it certainly is possible. Might be neat to see this as a consequence of losing a family member and becoming inspired to play your family member's favorite sport.

Mark me down as someone who does enjoy the storylines. I like that I occasionally get a monkey wrench thrown into my plans. I don't have them happen that frequently to me team either. I have played 42 years this version and can only recall about 3 that directly negatively impacted my team.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #68
Nunyer
All Star Reserve

Unless the player flew into a tree trunk at 45 mph and wound up in emergency surgery, you can bet your bottom dollar he would hobble his butt home and tell the team that he was "wrestling with his kids, twisted his knee and heard a pop" or something like that. Lots a goofy injuries in recent history where the explanation you hear from the player roughly translates to "oh crap, I think this excuse does not void the contract".
Old 08-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #69
Roy Tucker
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
i use storyline for pc laptop but not pc tower. thank.
jbmagic?
Old 08-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #70
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
that is a wrong notion......personal personalities should be accounted for and corrected......

you have been shown in depth by the group on many occasions that your behavior is unacceptable.....if you care for the group, then you should make the effort to change......if you don't care for the group, then you have no right to ask for allowances.....
We're going to gave to disagree about this one. Should you be forced to post in real sentences? Should Mgom be asked to post in readily comprehensible ones? I don't think so.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #71
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
The historical reference for the ski injury storyline is clearly Jim Lonborg. That happened in December 1967. For those of us who remember when it happened, it was a huge deal.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #72
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHoward View Post
The historical reference for the ski injury storyline is clearly Jim Lonborg. That happened in December 1967. For those of us who remember when it happened, it was a huge deal.
Yes, and it happened in December.

I'm perfectly okay with it happening in December. But in July?

Old 08-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #73
johnhannibalsmith
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Just to add the opinion of someone that does much more reading than posting, and has yet to offer anything on this subject, but will do so here in part because the request was made by part of the development team........ (ellipse use too old a habit to curtail now)

It seems to me that both the storyline supporters and detractors have it right.

It's a good idea and one that I use and even enjoy more often than not. But it is a long way from perfect in its implementation.

I recognize the ability to tailor or tweak the settings for solo leagues, but when playing on-line leagues which use the feature and don't care to make adjustments, the default settings that wind up infiltrating league play can be a little ridiculous at times.

As stated, I'm glad that they exist and have no real problem with them. But I do think that those that are getting a little reactionary about some of the criticism might be better served by distancing themselves from the source of the criticism and whatever history or personality may be clouding the opinion and take some of the good in those criticisms as useful feedback.

If enabling storylines is going to be a default setting, then most of the critique that I read here seems pretty fair. They are often outlandish, era inappropriate, or even downright unfathomable (guy tears his leg off jogging to first base on a ground out so he retires to play... soccer????).

I happen to agree that they will be fantastic with some refinement and are still fun additions overall presently. I also happen to agree that perhaps they should be refined a bit more before becoming a default and much of this debate would be eliminated.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #74
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
We're going to gave to disagree about this one. Should you be forced to post in real sentences? Should Mgom be asked to post in readily comprehensible ones? I don't think so.
There is a huge difference between personality quirks and personality faults.....

if people continually became violently upset about my overuse of periods, I think I would consider altering my writing style......(I like parentheses, too).....
Old 08-23-2013, 12:32 PM   #75
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith View Post
Just to add the opinion of someone that does much more reading than posting, and has yet to offer anything on this subject, but will do so here in part because the request was made by part of the development team........ (ellipse use too old a habit to curtail now)

It seems to me that both the storyline supporters and detractors have it right.

It's a good idea and one that I use and even enjoy more often than not. But it is a long way from perfect in its implementation.

I recognize the ability to tailor or tweak the settings for solo leagues, but when playing on-line leagues which use the feature and don't care to make adjustments, the default settings that wind up infiltrating league play can be a little ridiculous at times.

As stated, I'm glad that they exist and have no real problem with them. But I do think that those that are getting a little reactionary about some of the criticism might be better served by distancing themselves from the source of the criticism and whatever history or personality may be clouding the opinion and take some of the good in those criticisms as useful feedback.

If enabling storylines is going to be a default setting, then most of the critique that I read here seems pretty fair. They are often outlandish, era inappropriate, or even downright unfathomable (guy tears his leg off jogging to first base on a ground out so he retires to play... soccer????).

I happen to agree that they will be fantastic with some refinement and are still fun additions overall presently. I also happen to agree that perhaps they should be refined a bit more before becoming a default and much of this debate would be eliminated.
Thank you. It's nice to see someone get it.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #76
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
There is a huge difference between personality quirks and personality faults.....

if people continually became violently upset about my overuse of periods, I think I would consider altering my writing style......(I like parentheses, too).....
I am continually upset by your overuse of periods. I am a person. Are you going to change to suit me?

Old 08-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #77
spleen1015
Hall Of Famer

I think the 'The Wolf' feature of this message board should be turned off. It produces many negative events with no possible positive events of equal probability or value.
Old 08-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #78
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Turn Storylines off???

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I think the 'The Wolf' feature of this message board should be turned off. It produces many negative events with no possible positive events of equal probability or value.
Lol, now that's funny!
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
Old 08-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #79
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Turn Storylines off???

You guys are giving me a good laugh today.
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
Old 08-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #80
D-BacksJosh
Banned

C'mon people. If you are going to use the ellipsis, please use it correctly and only apply 3 dots.
Closed Thread