Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

Contract Extension Tips

I am looking for some tips for when it comes to offer contract extensions/long term deals to players. I feel like I have the hardest time trying to lock up players, whether it's before the player hits arbitration or whether it's after their first year or two of arbitration.

I have a few players in my current fictional game that will be getting long-term deals soon, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the salary numbers to start with and such.
Klew1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
EKomrska15
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klew1986 View Post
I am looking for some tips for when it comes to offer contract extensions/long term deals to players. I feel like I have the hardest time trying to lock up players, whether it's before the player hits arbitration or whether it's after their first year or two of arbitration.

I have a few players in my current fictional game that will be getting long-term deals soon, but I'm having a hard time figuring out the salary numbers to start with and such.
I usually hit them up right before year 3 arby and extend them to 4 or 5 years deals....Just really lowball them and they'll come around plus you can't lose anything because they can't walk away if they don't like your offer....

I will usually go 2 or 3 million below what they demand on the extension and they'll be happy...
EKomrska15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
goalieump413
All Star Reserve

I like to use a team option for the final year of 3+ year extensions. Also, like EKomrska15 said, lowball them in the first year of the extension especially, and as long as the numbers increase, they're usually okay with that. But it also helps when you have some depth on your roster.
goalieump413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
sprague
All Star Starter

my method is simple, just cuz i don't want to spend too much time on all the contract stuff

i take a player, say he wants a 5 year deal, it it close to right, i make it 3, generally his first year asking is lower than the rest, then i click on "all years" at the first price
player tends to accept
anything over 3 i want the last year a team option or vesting option.

for me keeps salaries some what in check and lets the game move on rather quickly

though for those working hard on the gm nickle and dime game, then you better wait for those gamers to give thier opinions of how to do that
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

Yeah. Like I have a stud SP I have no idea what to offer...

Name:  Garcia17.jpg
Views: 3978
Size:  106.9 KB
Old 05-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
sc_superstar
Major Leagues

What I would normally do.

1) He will ask for one year, usually guys under 5 service years wont ask for a long term contract on their own

2) Determine how long your willing to go, for a guy like this I would be shooting at 4-8 years depending on preference and how much his asking price is

3) Offer him the term you want him for with approx. 1-3 million taken off his arbitration estimate, he will accept, counter at 1 year for a higher AAV than his original offer, or counter with 1 year at in between your offer and his original offer.

4) If he accepts thats great, if he declines offer you have 2 options depending on his negotiating mood, if he is still happy you can go with your term but split the difference in contract value, if he seems like he is getting unhappy, then offer him 4 years and split the money difference, he will take this offer in most cases and you buy out his arbitration years, probably for below market value.

If he has the 4th year of eligibility by being a super 2, a contract extension cheaper than this years estimate will save you 10m or more
sc_superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Yeah. Like I have a stud SP I have no idea what to offer...

Attachment 288426
Here's what I do: Click on your Team Menu then click Salary Obligations. Find his name and it will show you what his approximate asking price in the upcoming arbitration period will be. (The number will be in parentheses.) Looking at Garcia's ratings and stats, I'm guessing his arbitration price will be around $8 million. Try and sign him to a long term deal, say 8 years. make the first year $3 million less than what he's projected to ask for. Then click that for all years and see if he accepts that. If he asks for a shorter deal then up his counter offer by two years and only up each year after the first by $500,000. Eventually, I bet he signs for five years and around $42 million.
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

I went ahead and gave him a monster extension. Totaled to be 131 million/9 year deal. He is the face of the franchise and was never going to let him leave.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #9
EKomrska15
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSL Commish View Post
Here's what I do: Click on your Team Menu then click Salary Obligations. Find his name and it will show you what his approximate asking price in the upcoming arbitration period will be. (The number will be in parentheses.) Looking at Garcia's ratings and stats, I'm guessing his arbitration price will be around $8 million. Try and sign him to a long term deal, say 8 years. make the first year $3 million less than what he's projected to ask for. Then click that for all years and see if he accepts that. If he asks for a shorter deal then up his counter offer by two years and only up each year after the first by $500,000. Eventually, I bet he signs for five years and around $42 million.
This is exactly what I do...
Old 05-26-2013, 05:20 PM   #10
EKomrska15
All Star Starter

Quote:
I went ahead and gave him a monster extension. Totaled to be 131 million/9 year deal. He is the face of the franchise and was never going to let him leave.
Honestly, you could have gotten him much cheaper.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKomrska15 View Post
Honestly, you could have gotten him much cheaper.
I dunno. He wasn't budging much off his demands and I didn't want to wait until arbitration as he won 18 games his first year and 23 his 2nd year. But the fact I locked him up for 9 years is good enough for me. Considering it shows his arbitration estimate for this year, had I not signed him long term, would be roughly 12.4 million.

Here is the breakdown of the years...

2019: 10 million
2020: 11.1 million
2021: 12.4 million
2022: 13.6 million
2023: 15 million
2024: 15 million
2025: 16.5 million
2026: 18 million (team option)
2027: 19.5 million (team option)
Old 05-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
EKomrska15
All Star Starter

Right, but I bet you could have gotten him for a flat 10 million each year.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:26 AM   #13
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I dunno. He wasn't budging much off his demands and I didn't want to wait until arbitration as he won 18 games his first year and 23 his 2nd year. But the fact I locked him up for 9 years is good enough for me. Considering it shows his arbitration estimate for this year, had I not signed him long term, would be roughly 12.4 million.

Here is the breakdown of the years...

2019: 10 million
2020: 11.1 million
2021: 12.4 million
2022: 13.6 million
2023: 15 million
2024: 15 million
2025: 16.5 million
2026: 18 million (team option)
2027: 19.5 million (team option)
I'm not sure you'll be wanting to exercise those options. I don't know what your age modifier settings are, but I've never trusted anyone (especially pitchers) in their 30s with that much money.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #14
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

It's funny because in my fictional game there are quite a few players in their mid-30s that are still pitching really well.

I think overall though, my game is starting to get messed up. There are hardly any good FAs each year and the game is wayyyyy pitching prospect overloaded. Starting to actually kill the league. I dunno what to do.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:51 AM   #15
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

not bad wheeling and dealing .... Sometimes I lowball the player but in the last 2 option years balloon it up. What I will do is decline the option year then attempt to sign the player at cheaper cost via Free Agency. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. However during them years before the option years I will keep a sharp eye on a replacement player either from minors or another team or simply trade the player before the trade deadline right before the option hits.
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #16
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I just had a player wanting an extention of 33 million a year for 8 years. It was Miguel Cabrera. Would take a picture of what he wants to show proof of it but I don't know how to make the picture on here since I am still new to the windows 8 .... I am gonna make one attempt to see if I can get it to work.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

Looks like he changed his mind to 5 years now LOL
Attached Images
Old 05-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #18
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

What did you end up giving him?
Old 05-27-2013, 12:14 PM   #19
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I gave him a 8 year contract and the first 6 years 24 million each year and the last two years at the 32.5 million he wanted (with team Option) I wanted it like this so that he be tradeable or I could just give him up for free agency and try to get him cheaper if I find nobody better.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:34 PM   #20
Perceptor
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_superstar View Post
What I would normally do.

1) He will ask for one year, usually guys under 5 service years wont ask for a long term contract on their own

2) Determine how long your willing to go, for a guy like this I would be shooting at 4-8 years depending on preference and how much his asking price is

3) Offer him the term you want him for with approx. 1-3 million taken off his arbitration estimate, he will accept, counter at 1 year for a higher AAV than his original offer, or counter with 1 year at in between your offer and his original offer.

4) If he accepts thats great, if he declines offer you have 2 options depending on his negotiating mood, if he is still happy you can go with your term but split the difference in contract value, if he seems like he is getting unhappy, then offer him 4 years and split the money difference, he will take this offer in most cases and you buy out his arbitration years, probably for below market value.

If he has the 4th year of eligibility by being a super 2, a contract extension cheaper than this years estimate will save you 10m or more
Thanks for this. I just signed Tommy Hanson to a 6-year extension that pays a straight $4.7 million per season. His arby number was $4.2 million and he was asking for $5.3 million for 1 year. I was able to buy out his arby years plus 2 years of free agency
Perceptor is offline   Reply With Quote