Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 PM   #61
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Just had a reliever go 27 innings before giving up a run.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:50 AM   #62
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Finished 2029 in 2nd place to the Reds and lost the Wildcard game to Los Angeles. What really hurt me was losing my likely MVP Right Fielder on literally the last day of the season.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Old 04-30-2013, 03:19 AM   #63
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Stopping at the start of the 2030 season. I turned off 'can't be fired' so now obviously I can be fired. The team is almost exactly the same. The only changes were I hired a backup outfielder who's starting right until my MVP comes off the DL in 6 weeks. I also traded my closer and am using my former setup guy, who was pretty much the best reliever last year, and got a decent switch-hitting second baseman to shore up my only real weak spot.

We have a pretty good chance to win it this year so here's hoping.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #64
Klew1986
Hall Of Famer

I'm trying to decide who to be in my new game. Any ideas?
Klew1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 PM   #65
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Depends. How big of a challenge do you want?

I wound up trading Lucas Harrell for a LF prospect, so now my starting rotation will be some combination of Ryu, Perez, Francis, Slowey, and Peacock.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #66
gpellis
Minors (Double A)

I simmed 2013 with the idea of taking over the worst team in the league and trying to turn that team around.

The Marlins went 56-106, and beat out the Astros for most worthless team in baseball. I typically always play with the Braves, so this was something new for me.

So far in 2014 we're 38-37, a big turnaround from a year ago. We're about 4 games out of the Wild Card, but 16 out of the division because the Nationals are playing out of their minds.

I have made a few moves, most notably getting Ross Detwiler, Drew Storen, and Carlos Marmol in efforts to bolster my pitching staff. I've also traded Giancarlo Stanton to the Nationals, along with some very good prospects.

Storen has been absolutely lights out, and Detwiler is currently proving to be my best starting pitcher.

In the off-season I picked up Cody Ross, but due to some struggles, I was able to dump him for Josh Willingham, who was on the Twins. He's been an upgrade, but still, an overpaid veteran. Fortunately his contract will dump out at the end of the season, as I'm not working with much money.

My highest paid player is a Cuban by the name of Gilberto Diaz. I pay him 8.5 million a year, and I believe I signed him to a nice 4 year contract. Through the first 70 or so games of his career, he's batting around .175 and is now out for 3 months.

Excited to get to the offseason with this team. Looking like an improvement season.
gpellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:03 PM   #67
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
Is this game really easy to everyone??? Or am I just getting lucky? I am the Houston Astros and the only roster changes I have made was trade Bud Norris and sent down Brad Peacock and brought up a minor leaguer and I am 28-19, first place in the AL West. I fully expected to be horrible but my hitters are just killing the ball. I guess my main concerns are is the game always this easy or am I just an awesome coach/gm ...

Thanks guys.
You're doing better than I ever did in 2013. Though, I didn't trade Bud Norris until after the season (bad idea, he sucked all year). Did some other moves though, and I think I'll be competitive in 2014 (meaning, something like 75 wins instead of 60-ish).
Old 05-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #68
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
So, here is how the 2014 Astros look about midway through the offseason.

Catcher
Newly acquired Evan Gattis will take over behind the plate and should solve what was an offensive black hole for most of the year. Previous catcher Jason Castro remains as backup, which is a better fit for his skills.

First Base/DH
Brett Wallace will return to man first base after leading the Astros in WAR in the 2013 season. 2013 AL Rookie of the Year Chris Carter is penciled in as the DH, taking his less than stellar defense out of play. Brandon Laird, who spent most of 2013 in AAA, moves to the Show to serve as a 1B backup and bench bat.

Infield
Jose Altuve returns to man the keystone, where he has proved to be a solid if unspectacular starter. His double-play mate will be highly-touted prospect Jonathan Villar, who hit well in a September call-up with good defense. Defensive ace Matt Dominguez will man the hot corner again for the Astros. Eric Sogard, acquired via trade from the A's during the 2013 season, will back up all three positions a defense-first utility infielder.

Outfield
Former Phillie John Mayberry Jr. will serve as the Astros primary left fielder in 2014, while Justin Maxwell moves from center to right field for the new campaign. He will be replaced in center field by defensive stud Che-Hsuan Lin, who is expected to anchor the outfield defense. Chih-Hsien Chang and George Springer will be expected to back up the corners and center, respectively, while providing solid pinch-hitting options.

Rotation
The staff ace will be Hyun-Jin Ryu, obtained via trade from the Dodgers during the 2013 campaign. Behind him in the rotation will be returners Lucas Harrell, Brad Peacock, and Kevin Slowey (another trade acquisition), while free agent Jeff Francis and Rule 5 pickup Martin Perez battle for the final rotation spot.

Bullpen
2013 pickups Scott Elbert and Paco Rodriguez are expected to anchor the bullpen for the Astros, while Xavier Cedeno, Jose Valdez, and Rhiner Cruz will fill the middle innings. The Astros are also attempting to bring in a free agent to bolster the 'pen, most likely veteran Joaquin Benoit.
This is interesting. Due to circumstances beyond my control (well, they were within my control, but then I screwed up), I am still on 13. When I started my Astros Dynasty, Perez wasn't a rule 5 pickup, I had to give a lot to get him.... Has his stock gone down that much? Also, between you and houstonfan, I've not seen one mention of Johnathan Singleton... Has his stock gone down as well? (in my dynasty, it's 2030 and he has 610 HRs)
Old 05-02-2013, 08:31 AM   #69
jmarsh123
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram2Whitaker View Post
This is interesting. Due to circumstances beyond my control (well, they were within my control, but then I screwed up), I am still on 13. When I started my Astros Dynasty, Perez wasn't a rule 5 pickup, I had to give a lot to get him.... Has his stock gone down that much? Also, between you and houstonfan, I've not seen one mention of Johnathan Singleton... Has his stock gone down as well? (in my dynasty, it's 2030 and he has 610 HRs)
I also did a game where I started as the Astros and picked up Martin Perez as a Rule 5 pick. I ended up leaving after 7 seasons and a championship because an expansion team popped up in Indianapolis I wanted to run. Perez and Singleton are still going strong for the Astros.
jmarsh123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #70
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I think the Rangers probably didn't have room for Perez on the 40-man due to other roster moves, and while his future still looks pretty good, right now he's a #4/5 starter (if I get lucky).

Jonathan Singleton is only 22 and is going to start the year in AAA for me (2014). If I'm lucky, he plays well enough that I can trade someone (Brett Wallace, probably) and bring him up. I hope to leave him in AAA all year though; tried to do the same thing with George Springer in 2013 but I wound up needing him in the bigs.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:44 AM   #71
MUFC1878
All Star Reserve

Relocated the Marlins to Staten Island and renamed them the Killer Bees. Got Profar in a big trade that involved Stanton. Signed Shields and Josh Johnson as free agents. Currently, it's the 2015 season. Traded half the team for McCutchen. I'm third in the division, 49-45, second in the wild card. Owner practically said he didn't care about the results.

Current lineup:
SS Jurickson Profar
3B Donovan Solano
1B Tommy Johnson
CF McCutchen
RF Avisail Garcia
LF Juan Pierre
2B Gordon Beckham
C Wilson Ramos

Rotation:
Josh Jonhson
Scherzer
Jose Fernandez
Jacob Turner
And whatever minor leaguer is not chronically injured.

At the AS break, the Phillies are the worst team in the league; Seattle and Washington the best. I plan on getting rid of the Yankees next season, and moving the Dodgers back to Brooklyn. I think I'm liking this better than wholly fictional.
MUFC1878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:13 PM   #72
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Just found a 17-yo kid in the 2014 draft pool with a 70-POT screwball. If he hits his potential, he'll be an absolute strikeout machine.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #73
sc_superstar
Major Leagues

Currently in 2021 of a Fictional MLB league with the Blue Jays, made the playoffs 7x in 8 years, but no WS yet. Had a reliever go 17-0 in 2013. All in all I just seem to be always missing that one piece be it to injury or talent regression.

Also the draft picks in this particular career seem to be terrible. With scouting on typically only 1-5 draft picks per year are 4.5 or 5*
sc_superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #74
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

This is kind of silly, in a good way. I'm in 2014 with my Astros, and Carlos Correa started the year as a 19-yo in AA. He proceeded to hit .313/.319/.433 in 67 AB, picking up a couple runs in ZR along the way. Injuries mandated his rise to AAA, where he is hitting .308/.386/.462 in 39 AB. He's probably already the best defensive SS in my organization. Could I really end up with a teenager in the bigs to stay later this season?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:19 PM   #75
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Made it to September and the Cubs are leading the division by 13 games and have the best record in baseball at 86-49. Could 2030 finally be the year the Cubs win the World Series?

Old 05-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #76
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

A grandslam in the top of the 6th in game 6 of the World Series ends the Cubs season.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #77
Canuck
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Had a disastrous first year with the Cubs mostly due to injuries. I was able to pickup this Japanese phenom in the offseason though, hopefully he lives up to his billing.

Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #78
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Cracked 100 losses with the Astros in the 2014 season and somehow got to keep my job. Though, I think now I've got a pretty solid set of hitters. I just have to find pitchers who can not get smacked around.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:46 AM   #79
EKomrska15
All Star Starter

I play out every game but let the manager do all substitutions and I don't play the defensive side of the game...All I handle are hitting, stealing, and those things...Makes the game very tough...Started with the 2013 Cubs and we finished 62-100. WE had the 2nd pick in the draft and took a SP with the name of Angel Bustamante...

Big trades we made were trading Garza and Edwin Jackson to the Rangers for Jurickson Profar and then flipped him to Baltimore for Dylan Bundy. I then realized I hadn't change the heavily favor prospects.

in 2013 we signed an absolute stud in Jamie Trejo who was 22 international guy and he has proved well worth the 16 million a year we gave him.

2014 looked much better as we did improve to 76-86 our record and Anthony Rizzo was an absolute beast. He hit .351 with 37 homers and 111 rbi's and Trejo was 15-5 with a 2.43 ERA

We are midway through the 2015 season and we are in first place by a couple of games....Our starting rotation is Martin Perez (who we got through Rule 5) Trejo, Bundy, Samardzija, and Arodys Viscaino (I edited him to a 12 stamina since he is a probably starter when he gets back from injury) In a span of 4 days in May we called up Jorge Soler, Javier Baez and Albert Almora and while they aren't lighting the world on fire they have proved to better than what I had at that point in time.

My starting defense is this
C-Wellington Castillo
1B-Anthony Rizzo
2B-Darwin Barney
3B--Javier Baez (who I forced start at 3b since 2013 and he's current a 13 defensively on 1-20 rating)
SS--Starlin Castro
LF--Platoon Situation
CF--Almora
RF--Baez

We still have a huge weakness in the bullpen and I need to flip some of these young pitchers I have in my system to improve that for a good run...

Taking over the Cubs as a Cubs fan and sticking through this has been so much fun and plus the way I play out every game sure does make it challenging because I realized I was too good when I controlled everything.
EKomrska15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #80
EKomrska15
All Star Starter

I have had great progression with lots of my young studs especially Soler. My pitching prospects like Trejo, Bundy and Viscaino have also readily improved. Bustamante who was our #2 pick back in 2013 is ready to break through but there is not a spot for him. Could be trade bait for a strong catcher who can hit more than .230 unlike Castillo.
EKomrska15 is offline   Reply With Quote