Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-30-2013, 11:03 PM   #21
oman19
All Star Starter

Not to sound to bah-humbug but is there anyway to keep the draft as is and international scouting as is?

I hate the way International free agents work IRL where they don't have to go through the draft. I actually really enjoyed the way OOTP has worked where most enter the league through the draft but occasionally you find some really young ones that you can sign early (aka Hidden Players)

My OOTP wishlist: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-wishlist.html
oman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:13 PM   #22
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

The new system of generation of international players is completely optional/customizable.

You can set the game to not generate any international players under the new system if you wish.

You can also set the percentages of international players generated for the draft, so that you have international players subject to the draft, just like before.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:20 AM   #23
yougo1000
All Star Reserve

Good thing I preordered today
Bulls
Hawks
and Kansas JayHawks
yougo1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #24
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
No, they aren't.

The game now randomly generates International players that are auto signed by the team that discovers them and also int talents that can be bid on by all teams. Any players signed by either of these methods are then assigned to the int complex.

The percentages are regarding the creation of those talents. This is entirely separate from anything that you may do with your feeder leagues.

The feature can be turned off if you only want your talent to come from feeder leagues.
He's not talking about international players, he's talking about the draft pool. Two different things.

Good question - Markus - if you use feeders, can you still use the options for nationality %?
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:13 AM   #25
shawa666
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
He's not talking about international players, he's talking about the draft pool. Two different things.

Good question - Markus - if you use feeders, can you still use the options for nationality %?
If you use feeders, then surely those will need to be set with their own nationality%
shawa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:01 PM   #26
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawa666 View Post
If you use feeders, then surely those will need to be set with their own nationality%
That's what I'm thinking/hoping.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:45 PM   #27
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:

He was actually asking about the screenshot, what it was, and whether it was the int percentages for feeder leagues.

It's not. It's a screenshot of the percentages for international finds.

There's a similar screen for the draft, and for default player origin in the main league.

There isn't a similar screen for feeder leagues, they still work how they did before.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:03 PM   #28
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He was actually asking about the screenshot, what it was, and whether it was the int percentages for feeder leagues.

It's not. It's a screenshot of the percentages for international finds.

There's a similar screen for the draft, and for default player origin in the main league.

There isn't a similar screen for feeder leagues, they still work how they did before.
1. The screen shot he's referring to is the one used to establish % for your draft pool. His question, the way I understand it, is if you use feeders, does setting these options also affect the players being generated for your feeders.

2. Just because there's no screen shot of feeder leagues doesn't mean they aren't affected by these additions to the game. That is why he asked the question about it affecting feeders. And it's a perfectly logical question because I'd also like to know from Markus if it affects feeders.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:36 PM   #29
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
1. The screen shot he's referring to is the one used to establish % for your draft pool. His question, the way I understand it, is if you use feeders, does setting these options also affect the players being generated for your feeders.
I looked closer and it appears from where it was placed in the preview that the screen he was referring to is the default player origin screen, not the draft screen or either of the the international free agent screens. It's hard to tell since all four look exactly alike in game.

Regardless, the answer is still no. As of now, none of those screens affect the nationalities of players in the feeder leagues.

Quote:
2. Just because there's no screen shot of feeder leagues doesn't mean they aren't affected by these additions to the game. That is why he asked the question about it affecting feeders. And it's a perfectly logical question because I'd also like to know from Markus if it affects feeders.
I agree, it is a logical question, but it really doesn't affect feeder leagues, at least not right now. I've been trying to say that, not sure why you don't believe me

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 03-31-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #30
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I looked closer and it appears from where it was placed in the preview that the screen he was referring to is the default player origin screen, not the draft screen or either of the the international free agent screens. It's hard to tell since all four look exactly alike in game.
All you have to do is read the para above the image explaining what it is - settings for your draft.

Quote:
Regardless, the answer is still no. As of now, none of those screens affect the nationalities of players in the feeder leagues.

I agree, it is a logical question, but it really doesn't affect feeder leagues, at least not right now. I've been trying to say that, not sure why you don't believe me
My only question to this is - Are you part of the development team?

If no, then you don't know one way or the other.

If yes, then welcome to the team and thanks for sharing the inside info.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:23 PM   #31
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
All you have to do is read the para above the image explaining what it is - settings for your draft.

My only question to this is - Are you part of the development team?

If no, then you don't know one way or the other.

If yes, then welcome to the team and thanks for sharing the inside info.
On the beta team.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:32 PM   #32
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Question for Markus - is it possible in the future that the new settings for draft nationality % can be programmed to affect feeder leagues too?

Tks
Old 03-31-2013, 11:35 PM   #33
dward1
All Star Reserve

this is excellent stuff. building a fictional world just became about 5x easier and more customizable. just convinced me to preorder. this is exactly what I would have done if I could choose one change to make (with promotion/relegation quickly behind but that's another story).

brilliant stuff guys, why it's the best game on the market.
dward1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:24 AM   #34
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

guys...with a few exceptions (limited resources) I feel this release my take OOTP to the solid ground we have wanted for years. In other words, a lot of the under the hood stuff is going to make it that much better. This release is likely not going to be about "flash"

Last edited by PSUColonel; 04-01-2013 at 01:26 AM.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #35
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

This may be one of the things I am most pumped about. Not to get all Malleus Dei here but one thing that drives me a little bit crazy is to have scouting turned on and, 20 years into my deadball era league, have like half the players hailing from Japan or Taiwan or the Dominican Republic. Now I'll be able to bring those other countries in as I see fit to bring them in over the course of a league.

TMHKUTGW!
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #36
Aumakua
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
This may be one of the things I am most pumped about. Not to get all Malleus Dei here but one thing that drives me a little bit crazy is to have scouting turned on and, 20 years into my deadball era league, have like half the players hailing from Japan or Taiwan or the Dominican Republic. Now I'll be able to bring those other countries in as I see fit to bring them in over the course of a league.

TMHKUTGW!

You could always do that, just adjust the % of foreign players when you want to. I have mine at 5% for early 1900s and bring it up a little as I go. Or if you want it high to start just edit the baseball talent in each nation as you see fit, and adjust as time goes on.
Aumakua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #37
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aumakua View Post
You could always do that, just adjust the % of foreign players when you want to. I have mine at 5% for early 1900s and bring it up a little as I go. Or if you want it high to start just edit the baseball talent in each nation as you see fit, and adjust as time goes on.
Editing the baseball talent in each and every nation, while definitely an option, isn't really a particularly fun option to me. I guess I could just write a script now that I'm one of those IT types, but I'm also kind of lazy. I'd just prefer to click on a couple settings and make the game work how I want it to work,

As far as percentage of foreign players goes, that applies only to players created in the initial pool so far as I can tell. The draft pool is based on whatever country you're based in (so for US-based leagues, all draftees in 13 anyway will come from the US), and if you have scouting turned on, one of the things that the scouts will do is uncover talent in foreign nations depending on the overall talent level of the country, the amount of money you're spending on it, and I think how many teams are spending cash there. They will do that regardless of the initial foreigner percentage.

One 13esque "fix" for this which to me isn't really a fix at all is to restrict teams to having only a few foreign players. This isn't really a fix because what ends up happening there is that because the supply of foreigners is fixed but not the relative talent level, you get a bunch of relatively short careers from the really, really good foreign players the game finds as well as a lot of instances where a guy comes up, plays for 2 years, and then sits in the minor leagues for 10 years before someone else decides to use their Foreigner Belt on them for a year or two.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #38
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
Editing the baseball talent in each and every nation, while definitely an option, isn't really a particularly fun option to me. I guess I could just write a script now that I'm one of those IT types, but I'm also kind of lazy. I'd just prefer to click on a couple settings and make the game work how I want it to work,

As far as percentage of foreign players goes, that applies only to players created in the initial pool so far as I can tell. The draft pool is based on whatever country you're based in (so for US-based leagues, all draftees in 13 anyway will come from the US), and if you have scouting turned on, one of the things that the scouts will do is uncover talent in foreign nations depending on the overall talent level of the country, the amount of money you're spending on it, and I think how many teams are spending cash there. They will do that regardless of the initial foreigner percentage.

One 13esque "fix" for this which to me isn't really a fix at all is to restrict teams to having only a few foreign players. This isn't really a fix because what ends up happening there is that because the supply of foreigners is fixed but not the relative talent level, you get a bunch of relatively short careers from the really, really good foreign players the game finds as well as a lot of instances where a guy comes up, plays for 2 years, and then sits in the minor leagues for 10 years before someone else decides to use their Foreigner Belt on them for a year or two.

This is quoted from the newsletter, it's immediately above the image in the para explaining what the image is showing.

Quote:
The newly revised player options in the League Settings screen allow you toset custom percentages for two of the most important types of ways playersenter the game:
  • Players created within the original draft pool when a league is created
  • The yearly amateur draft pool (or list of players created as free agents if you're using Reserve Clause Era rules)
It clearly mentions the yearly amateur draft pool.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #39
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Nice RTR #2!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #40
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

There are four new screens that allow you to set the nationality percentages within a league. They cover the following four areas of player generation:

1. Default Player Origin - covers initial league creation

2. Amateur Draft Pool Origin

3. International amateur free agents that are part of the new international complex system.

4. Established International free agents, i.e. older player from Cuba and Japan.

Each of these are separate and fully customizeable.

The screen showed in the initial post is the Default Player Origin screen.

I don't quite understand why bluenoser keeps insisting it's the draft screen. Yes the initial post mentions the draft just before the screenshot, but it isn't the draft screen.

When you look at the default draft screen in game you'll see that it only has nationality %'s selected for Americans, Canadians and Puerto Ricans, the only three nations actually covered by the real life rule 4 draft.

The overview of the game setup screen, which is the 4th screenshot down, shows a preview of the origins that show up on each screen with the default settings, that will help to confirm this.

However, it doesn't really matter, which screen is actually shown in the initial post, the important part is that all four screens exist, and provide an unprecedented level of customization options for OOTP14

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-03-2013 at 01:20 PM.