Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #61
Joe Canadian
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up here in Canada View Post
Then I must be entirely wrong. I was under the impression from the gist of this thread that the game may very well be experiencing some issues. Perhaps I was reading more into things than what is actually happening. I'm still relatively new to the series but the 3 releases that I have don't seem to be that much different from one another. Then again, I don't know all the ins and outs of the game and I am still learning.
The only "issues" I've seen in this thread is people speculating that the release may be delayed. That's pure speculation, but even if it is true... it's happened before and we're all still here. Nothing in this thread, or on the forums, that I'm aware of has indicated the game is in financial trouble. If anything the game appears to be more popular than ever.

I don't want to put words in your mouth, but it seems like you may be misunderstanding this genre of game and are applying "traditional" video game expectations to it. There's been significant improvements in many aspects of the game over the past couple of years, but significant improvements for a text sim is different than it is for an Xbox game. The improvements are often not very "visual". For example, the desire to have some form of visual graphics in the game has been around for a while. But for most players it just isn't a priority, it's not that type of game.

I'm still very confused over your "online" comment. This game already has online play. There's a forum section dedicated to advertising the many OOTP online leagues that are around. So I don't know where you're getting this idea that it can't survive without this feature you're talking about. Who are these people who want this, and what exactly is the online feature you are talking about?

Fan of the Blue Jays, Maple Leafs, IceCaps, Lakers, and Broncos.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #62
Up here in Canada
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian View Post
The only "issues" I've seen in this thread is people speculating that the release may be delayed. That's pure speculation, but even if it is true... it's happened before and we're all still here. Nothing in this thread, or on the forums, that I'm aware of has indicated the game is in financial trouble. If anything the game appears to be more popular than ever.
I'm always reading posts about players skipping a version, wanting certain features in the game that haven't been added, little talk from the company over the release of this new version and Markus some time ago requesting that people get the word out about the product.

I guess this is the norm and, again, I just read too much into it.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #63
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm always reading posts about players skipping a version, wanting certain features in the game that haven't been added, little talk from the company over the release of this new version and Markus some time ago requesting that people get the word out about the product.

You do realize that the majority of people playing and enjoying the game don't post about missing features as much. Why would you assume that posts of that nature are a bad thing? If no one was asking for features and changes then I would be worried. This title is IMO poised for some great things going forward.

I'm still curious what prompted you to ask about online capability? You stated earlier that you've been around for 3 versions yet you are unaware of the extensive online league capability of OOTP. Were you not paying attention for 3 years or do you have other motives?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 03-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #64
Up here in Canada
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
I'm still very confused over your "online" comment. This game already has online play.
I played in an online league once and it was an fun and yet awful experience at the same time. The sims weren't run on time, I couldn't get a hold of certain GM's, and, about 3/4 way through the season, POOF!...the league just up and disappeared. Maybe I'm assuming too much but I always thought to myself that if the process had been run through some official site where the players had to pay a little extra and it was run on a server, it might have been a significantly better product.

I know most leagues are probably better run than the one that I was in and I am keeping an eye on them in the online thread. I find the huge turnover in some leagues puzzling, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cras View Post
And this online thing is just....odd. I really dont get it. OOTP is online capable. And has been going back well before you joined this forum.
And going back well before I joined this forum was this:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ll-update.html

Cras must have found this really, really odd.

Why do you suppose they had plans like this?
Old 03-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #65
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I played in an online league once and it was an fun and yet awful experience at the same time. The sims weren't run on time, I couldn't get a hold of certain GM's, and, about 3/4 way through the season, POOF!...the league just up and disappeared. Maybe I'm assuming too much but I always thought to myself that if the process had been run through some official site where the players had to pay a little extra and it was run on a server, it might have been a significantly better product.

I know most leagues are probably better run than the one that I was in and I am keeping an eye on them in the online thread. I find the huge turnover in some leagues puzzling, too.
What does the quality and turnover in online leagues have to do with OOTPD?

Edit
I would never pay a penny to play an online league.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 03-23-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #66
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I played WhatIfSports for a while a few years back. Quite frankly, unless they've changed quite a bit, the seasons are way too short for me to justify $5/season out of my pocket. It's not a bad product, just too pricey for me and definitely has a somewhat different target audience in mind than OOTP.

I figure any delays of note can probably be traced to the hack and the recovery from it.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #67
Up here in Canada
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
What does the quality and turnover in online leagues have to do with OOTPD?
Maybe I'm assuming too much but I always thought to myself that if the process had been run through some official site where the players had to pay a little extra and it was run on a server, it might have been a significantly better product.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #68
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Maybe I'm assuming too much but I always thought to myself that if the process had been run through some official site where the players had to pay a little extra and it was run on a server, it might have been a significantly better product.
Yes you make way too many assumptions. The online league experience in OOTP is generally very good. What evidence do you have that suggests otherwise?

If I may suggest; why don't you chill out and actually experience things; one online league is insufficient IMO. There are hundreds maybe thousands of online leagues out there and I can guarantee you that the bad ones don't last long. Check out a few of the long term leagues and then come back and tell me that money would make things better.

Just what is your agenda? Drumming up business for What if sports?

RichW

Old 03-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #69
playball335
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
This is a text sim. What you really need to do is to buy a PS3 and get a copy of MLB 13: The Show.

I'm dead serious. It's a great game, it has a franchise/manager mode and it has everything you want and more. I play it myself.

MLB 13: The Show for PlayStation 3 Reviews - Metacritic

I agree Wolf, just wish the game stored more franchise stats.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #70
Up here in Canada
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
If I may suggest; why don't you chill out and actually experience things; one online league is insufficient IMO.

Just what is your agenda? Drumming up business for What if sports?
I'm starting to find this really amusing.

RchW, I'm not the one getting worked up. Look at who's really getting worked up on this thread not to mention paranoid. Getting asked what my agenda is. I have NEVER EVER played a game of WhatIfSports.

OOTP was making an online game. Why? Actually don't answer this question, just chill out!
Old 03-23-2013, 07:43 PM   #71
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm starting to find this really amusing.

RchW, I'm not the one getting worked up. Look at who's really getting worked up on this thread not to mention paranoid. Getting asked what my agenda is. I have NEVER EVER played a game of WhatIfSports.

OOTP was making an online game. Why? Actually don't answer this question, just chill out!
So why did you mention them?

Edit

How could you know they got it right if you never played?

RichW

Last edited by RchW; 03-23-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #72
Cras
Hall Of Famer

I admit a while back I voiced a concern that I felt the end was closer for OOTP than I had hoped.

Well since then I think 3 more versions have been released, so I look pretty stupid thinking that. And I also admit that there was a couple times that I said I was gonna skip a version.

It never ended up happening. In fact, I have pre-ordered every single version going back to 2006, and have owned every single version going back to 3 or 4 or whatever it was, I dont even remember.

OOTP has always been a thing I do. When I am not in the mood for playing something that takes a lot of effort, and by effort I mean like...a gaming session. Like sitting down and playing Mass Effect, or Skyrim, or playing out a game of The Show..something like that, I know I can always boot up OOTP and play a bit.

OOTP has always been something for me to do. And as long as it is being made, it always will be.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Old 03-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #73
Up here in Canada
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
So why did you mention them?

Edit

How could you know they got it right if you never played?
Go back and read everything again.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #74
Up here in Canada
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cras View Post
I admit a while back I voiced a concern that I felt the end was closer for OOTP than I had hoped.
...and I think it will always exist. My belief is that it will eventually have some form of an online game other than the current format and perhaps I am wrong.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #75
Joe Canadian
All Star Starter

Quote:

There are a bunch of issues here. First, the bit about people skipping versions. This is a pretty common thing in the world of yearly sports releases. Some people don't buy OOTP every year. Yes, a lot of the time this is caused by some pet feature they've been looking for not being included in the newest version, but how is that unlike any other sports game. Now I'm certainly not suggesting OOTP is as guilty as EA is of putting out $50 roster updates every year, OOTP yearly releases are pretty significant. But you can't please everyone.

Second, the lack of information from the company could be any number of things. None of which come anywhere near your conclusions that the company is in some sort of financial difficulties.

Lastly, how is the developer asking loyal customers to spread the word a sign of trouble. I've been playing this since version 3, this is the main way games like this advertise... word of mouth.

Quote:

Ok, you had a bad experience with an online league. I'm not going to pretend that your experience is unique, it's not. An online league is a lot of work, both for the commish as well as all the players. If you look around you can find leagues that are well run, but it's entirely possible you end up in a league like the one you described.

But the thing is, those that want to experience online OOTP leagues usually spend the time finding a good league. I don't think there's a large group of customers running away from the game because of bad experiences. This isn't a console game, it's a very niche game, and those that play it are much more likely to put the work in to get the experience the want out of it. The solution you suggest, might improve things... but you're still going to problems, and would require a major investment from the developer. An investment that isn't necessary. The game doesn't need this to survive, as you suggested.

And I still don't see how you jumped from your bad experience to the suggestion that the game needed to be "online" to survive.

Quote:
Put simply, yes, you are assuming too much. A lot of what I'm seeing you post seems to come from someone who doesn't really understand the game or the game's target market. You admitted as much earlier on in the thread, yet you seem to want ton continue down the path of making these assumptions. I'm not really sure why.

Fan of the Blue Jays, Maple Leafs, IceCaps, Lakers, and Broncos.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #76
Up here in Canada
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Second, the lack of information from the company could be any number of things. None of which come anywhere near your conclusions that the company is in some sort of financial difficulties.
I never came to that conclusion.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #77
Up here in Canada
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Lastly, how is the developer asking loyal customers to spread the word a sign of trouble.
Has he asked of this favor before?
Old 03-23-2013, 09:00 PM   #78
Up here in Canada
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
And I still don't see how you jumped from your bad experience to the suggestion that the game needed to be "online" to survive.
I didn't.

Uh oh, did I break the three posts in a row rule?
Old 03-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #79
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by playball335 View Post
I agree Wolf, just wish the game stored more franchise stats.
Yeah, me too. But it does play a very good game of ball and the graphics are awesome.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #80
Up here in Canada
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
You admitted as much earlier on in the thread, yet you seem to want ton continue down the path of making these assumptions.
Not exactly.
Closed Thread