Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 01-03-2018, 09:50 PM   #1
dadof10
Bat Boy

Countering Roles

I'm new to hockey in general, so this is a totally noob question. Which player attributes counter which opposing player attributes? There are a few mentioned in passing in the manual, but is there a list somewhere? And (an even more noob question) do you counter a LW role with an RD role, or with a RW? If you have a fast Winger, would you shadow him (or counter him) with a goon or another fast defenseman?
dadof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:35 PM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

The countering roles are shown with a colour-coded marker (red for major counters, yellow for minor ones) in the strategy screen before a game (but not when you're looking at that screen between games, since there's no opponent at that point.) They're independent of positional matchups, although it still does make sense to find good matchups for other reasons.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:30 PM   #3
dadof10
Bat Boy

Thanks for getting back to me. I reread the manual more closely and I see where my mistake is. The INDIVIDUAL tactical roles counter the opponents TEAM tactics, not individual opposing players tactical roles. So, if my opponent is using the team tactic "Torpedo Attack" (for example) I would need to find individual roles that counter that TEAM tactic, correct?
dadof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

Right, that's correct.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:11 AM   #5
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

So should I change all tactical roles to the best countering roles before the game in order to get an advantage, even if the player skill-wise might be better suited for another role?
geisterhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 04:30 AM   #6
JeffR
FHM Producer

No, definitely not. You need to find a balance between countering what the opponent is doing and what your players do well. If a player is only slightly worse at a role that happens to counter the opponent's tactics, it might be worth switching him. If he's much worse at it, probably not.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:51 AM   #7
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
No, definitely not. You need to find a balance between countering what the opponent is doing and what your players do well. If a player is only slightly worse at a role that happens to counter the opponent's tactics, it might be worth switching him. If he's much worse at it, probably not.
Thanks.

It seems there is an abundance of good fits (e.g. 5/5) even for players which ratings don't exactly fit the description very well, like a player with low shooting range is 5/5 for perimeter shooter and a player with below low average physical ratings gets a 5/5 for powerforward.

How should I handle it, does it make a difference if I select other 5/5 roles which rather suit their ratings for those players or is a 5/5 always the same?
Old 02-02-2018, 03:41 AM   #8
Amono
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Something happened with the latest patch as I'm also seeing lot more 5/5s than before the patch.

But for the roles I try to identify my players strenghts and give them roles that gives them more bonuses to their strenghts. For example player who has good passing, offensive reads and team player attributes I give playmaker or setup man roles. Players with better defensive attributes gets backchecking forward or shadow roles and so on.

I hope that in someday we get little more info what bonuses certain roles gives to player attributes.
Amono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:59 PM   #9
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

Comparing several X/5 rated roles in many cases some still seem to be suiting a player better than others when taking his ratings into consideration. But does it actually make a difference which one I choose or it's all the same as long as it's a 5/5?
Old 02-03-2018, 05:43 AM   #10
JeffR
FHM Producer

There are definitely more 5/5's this time, that'll change in the next update, we're ready to finish off the adjustments I've been making and that should make them rarer so only the guys who *really* fit a role well get the 5.

It won't make a difference to the team's tactical score which 5/5 is taken, but the roles still do adjust player performance, so you should take one that's in line with what you want the player to do and/or think he's best at.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:09 AM   #11
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
There are definitely more 5/5's this time, that'll change in the next update, we're ready to finish off the adjustments I've been making and that should make them rarer so only the guys who *really* fit a role well get the 5.
This will be good, cos how it is right now I'm just looking for countering roles in the pregame screen and keep changing like 15 roles to minor or major counters before every game, usually there is just another x/5 role, which is also a counter. In my opinion just not a fun task if it's so many changes.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:22 AM   #12
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

Right now I'm approaching midseason and the game mechanic I spend most time on is selecting countering roles in the pregamescreen. Idk if it's meant to be like that lol, not too exciting as it doesn't require skill and knowledge, apart from counting till 5 lol

Maybe I'm overdoing it? How do you guys handle it? For me it seems hard not to select the counter if several roles are at 5, and this happens a lot.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #13
Amono
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I've noticed that almost every offensive tactic can countered with aggressive forechecker(major counter)role. Checked the FHM 3 and it's not that way in it. So maybe a bug?
Amono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 03:24 PM   #14
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amono View Post
I've noticed that almost every offensive tactic can countered with aggressive forechecker(major counter)role. Checked the FHM 3 and it's not that way in it. So maybe a bug?
Yes there are definitely few roles that are more often counters than others, for example stay at home defencemen is one of them, also up and down winger.

I really would appreciate some input on this, maybe I should completely give up on assigning counters, cos it's just too tiresome so change abt 20 roles before each game.. maybe I'm giving up too much not doing so?

Last edited by geisterhome; 02-08-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:37 AM   #15
JeffR
FHM Producer

The difference from FHM3 is intended, the countering role options were expanded to add more coaching options.

Changing 20 roles prior to a game is probably overkill and likely having too much of an effect on your own players' performance by taking them out of their usual roles, so you can definitely ease up on that a bit.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:59 AM   #16
Gerry58
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:

It won't make a difference to the team's tactical score which 5/5 is taken, but the roles still do adjust player performance, so you should take one that's in line with what you want the player to do and/or think he's best at.

Hi Jeff, estimated release for the next update?

Thanks Gerry
Gerry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:39 AM   #17
JeffR
FHM Producer

Sometime after the trading deadline, we want to get those moves in and then we'll need to do a few days of final testing.